As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E IC] Residuum Revolution Arcane- Above ground!

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    "Oh...right. Sorry everybody, I didn't quite think that through before I grabbed the jewel. Hold on..." Alise holds her hand aloft and a globe of light appears in the air in the center of the room, illuminating the room once more. Her face brightens as she sees the robe that Shen was holding up in front of her face. "Hey! Those look pretty useful!" she exclaims, taking the robe from his hands. "In other news, I have the jewel here," she says, patting the pouch where the emerald now resided. "If there's nothing else of use here I say we find a way to hightail it out of here. Preferably without getting caught in the process."

mightyjongyo on
  • Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    "I don't see anything else worth grabbing. Lets get out of here before the guards shift change finds them missing." Shen smiles as charmingly as he can as he hands the robes over. Waiting only a moment for the other to canvas the room, he steps past Persecutus into the hallway and move quietly downwards, keeping eye and ear open for any sign they have been discovered.
    Perception=28 Stealth=17

• Options
    daniantdaniant Columbus, OhioRegistered User regular
    Wait, you're not going to look into the chests?

• Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    I was under the impression my first search included the chests! If not here is another Perception roll. Thought it odd only two of us would get something.

• Options
    Sorry, was just trying to give a sense of pacing with the light going out and allowing you all to role play. Will post your chest excavations tomorrow. Sleep now.

• Options
    BhowBhow Sunny day, sweeping the clouds away. On my way to where the air is sweet.Registered User regular
    Riishi paced absently around the room, peeking into a chest, weighing a spear before replacing it in the rack, being mindlessly curious while Cherka watched from the doorway. Riishi's mind was already outside the tower. What are our chances of finding our way, she asked herself, without the kobolds?
    Passive Perception for loot: 20
    What d'y'all think of trying to forge our own path w/out returning to the kobolds?

• Options
    IlliantharIllianthar GMT -0700Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Persecutus stood silent and motionless as a statue at the door, focused only on the stairwell and listening for any other resistance that might keep them from leaving with the gem. As the room darkens he tenses, waiting to lash out at the first sign of hostility. His stance eases only slightly when Alise again lights the room.
    Shen wrote:
    "I don't see anything else worth grabbing. Lets get out of here before the guards shift change finds them missing."

"Yes. We have the gem. It is time to leave."

We can definitely try finding our way without the kobolds. Persecutus isn't too keen on talking to them right now anyway.

Persecutus wouldn't be looking through any of the chests. If someone finds something for him, then he'll take it, but his only focus is guarding the door.

Illianthar on
  • Options
    In one of the chests Shen find four amulets which Alise immediately recognizes as magical. There are also some boots and a belt.
    Viper Belt

This snakeskin belt provides modest protection against poison.

Waist Slot 840 gp
    Property

Gain resist 5 poison.
    Power Encounter (No Action)

Use this power when making a saving throw against ongoing poison damage. Gain a +2 power bonus to the saving throw.

Catstep Boots

These enchanted boots reduce falling damage and enhance your acrobatics and athletics skills.

Feet Slot 680 gp
    Property

When you fall or jump down, you take only half normal falling damage and always land on your feet.
    Power Daily (Free Action)

Gain a +5 power bonus to your next Acrobatics check or Athletics check.

Amulet of Resolution

Whether the affliction be of mind or body, this mithral necklace gives you a second chance to ward it off.
    Lvl 2 +1 520 gp

Neck Slot

Enhancement Bonus: Fortitude, Reflex, and Will
    Power Daily (No Action)

Use this power when you fail a saving throw. Reroll the saving throw, using the second result even if it's lower.

The group immediately looks around and begins to run down the spiral as quickly and quietly as possible. You feel very lucky as you peer out the door and see that no one has noticed the dead guards slumped down. You also remember that in the inn people were talking about mines to the north where they had broken through to the surface.

Another option would be to continue to disguise yourselves and conduct some reconnaissance in town to pick up any other mention of exits to the fey empire. Or you could all scout the outskirts looking for a tunnel up.

I'm sorry it's taken me a day, I was traveling yesterday and when I got to my destination, my boyfriend (who I haven't seen in over four months) was there! Yay!

Anyway, if you want to scout out, your perception checks are always amazing, so just let me know where you want to go. I also need stealth checks for poking around and dungeoneering checks once you get out of town to navigate passages. Streetwise if you're going to try to get any info from people in town. If you want to use another check, explain yourself and I'll probably let you.

• Options
    "Here, looks there is enough of these for everyone." Smiling Shen hands out an amulet to each of them. "Who wants the belt and shoes? I just got this new bow so I'm good." With loot handed out Shen ponders their next move. "I say we head for the mines. Any thing we kill there can be disguised as a mining accident. Plus, the less time we are here in town the better."

• Options
    Are you all down to go to the mines then? If not, please post by Monday night. Otherwise, mine time.

• Options
    Sorry, been running ragged with the holidays. A quick exit with the gem into the mines is what Persecutus is thinking.

• Options
    Alise takes one of the amulets out of Shen's hand and eyes the belt. She did seem like a popular target and if they had any more encounters like the last one, something like this would be useful. "If there are no objections, I'll be taking the belt as well..." Buckling the belt around her waist and handing the amulet around her neck, she continues, "I don't trust our luck enough to get any information out of the other inhabitants here. Let's head for the mines.".

Striding off into the distance, Alise suddenly realizes it has gotten dark again now that they are outside the tower. She sheepishly turns back, asking, "Uh...which way is north again?"
    dungeoneering to get to the mines: 1d20+5 = 13
    just so it's clear, the loot I'm snagging is the robe, one of the amulets, and the viper belt (unless someone else wants the belt).

• Options
    BhowBhow Sunny day, sweeping the clouds away. On my way to where the air is sweet.Registered User regular
    Riishi hangs an amulet around her neck and slips out of her soft moccasins. Cherka noses intently at the new boots as Riishi tries them on. They feel roomy at first, but hug her foot snuggly after a moment’s wiggling. Cherka sits back approvingly as Riishi bounces lightly, then leaps high and lands deftly, bringing a bright surprised chuckle from Riishi.

“It’s this way, Alise,” Riishi puts Alise’s hand on her shoulder to help her through the dark, and falls in behind Shen beside the tower. “I think.”
    Perception, Dungeoneering(not sure which was most appropriate): 1d20+10 23 1d20+5 23

• Options
    "Lets go then." Shen slips off into the shadows, paying too much attention to his new bow to be as stealthy as before. Despite the distraction he is still able to keep a sharp eye and ear out. Even more amazing is his attention to detail when it comes to reading the twists and turns of the subterranean landscape.
    Stealth=12...yey, Perception I'll go with my passive 20, Dungeoneering=28! Talk about opposites.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    You quickly duck into the shadows and head north. You take a passage and are gratified to realize that it's sloped upward.

After a few hours, you come to a widening, and soon after an amazing sight fills your eyes. Beautiful glistening purple stone swirls above you. Alise starts to get an arcane headache almost immediately. Powerful darkfey wizards stand on pedestals blasting chunks of Residuum from the walls of the cavern. As it falls, others teleport it out. It is beautiful to watch, and none of you have ever seen anything like it.

At the top of the cavern is a crack of light that illuminates the whole area.

Alise:
    the gem in your pouch begins to hum. Almost immediately your headache is soothed as you feel it suck up arcane energies.

daniant on
  • Options
    Persecutus is silent throughout their trip into the mines. When they reach the open cavern he regards the situation with a tactical eye, looking for exits from the room. Almost absentmindedly he comments to the group.

"Should we talk to the wizards, or just keep moving along?"

• Options
    “…WOW.”

Riishi had never seen anything so beautiful,
    so powerful,
    so… magical.

And it truly frightened her. Not with adrenaline pumping, axe-wielding fear, but with calm, marrow-chilling terror. If the fey casually used such powerful magic for everyday industry—

Persecutus pulled her attention back from the psychic precipice on which she had been about to teeter. “Along,” she squeaked, her eyes seeking the sliver of sunlight ahead. “Let’s move along.”

• Options
    I should have mentioned that these are still darkfey. Editing original post now.

• Options
    "I really don't think talking to these guys will do us any measure of good. Lets just get out of here." Shen looks around for a way to slip past without drawing attention. It would be good to be out of these caves. The fact that he would be further from the Kobolds and Dark Fey is icing on the cake.
    Going with passive 20 perception again and a 28..crit...again Dungeoneering

• Options
    Despite her sudden headache, Alise stared in wonderment at the stuff getting excavated, and how they were getting excavated. For her, as one who wished to use her powers as freely as they did, this was a treasure trove of information. How exactly did residuum fit into their society? Belatedly Alise realised that she had missed her best chance to figure this out when they were in the city proper.

This was all soon forgotten as Alise, as the one (as far as she could tell) who was the most affected by the concentration of arcane energy, noticed immediately when her headache disappeared, and the hum coming from her pouch told her what had caused it to go away. She reached inside the pouch and focused a little of her own energy into the gem, trying to get some idea of what magical secrets this gem was hiding. So focused was she that she took little notice of the discussions going on around her, trusting her companions to know when to pick a fight or not.
    Arcana on rocks 1d20+10 = 15 not sure what exactly this would turn up...
    Arcana on shiny rock in her pouch 1d20+10 = 24

• Options
    Alise:
    you know that the rock being transported out of the cavern is magical, but your headache seems to have blocked all other information. However, as you focus on the crystal itself, the humming grows louder, and you see flashes of swirling elemental pieces like motes in your eyes. As you concentrate harder, it seems as if you hear an exotic-accented voice speaking to you.

"So much power here. Concentrate, little mage. You have the power in your hands to free me. But now, touch the gem and I will help you."

• Options
    Alise thought she'd seen it all, but a talking rock was a bit on the strange side. Startled, she jerked her hand out of the pouch. "Uh, guys... The gem we just appropriated seems to be intelligent At least I think it's the gem. It...it wants me to free it. Whatever it is. It's offering me its help in return." She concentrated on the gem again. "Who...what are you? And what help could you offer us?" she thought in her mind, touching the gem again. She didn't think the contact was necessary, but it helped her to associate the voice with a physical presence to prevent her from going crazy and thinking she was hearing voices.

Alise quite suddenly realized that the gem, whoever or whatever it happened to be, was probably aware of everything they have said and done since they retrieved it. Not like they'd done much since then, but it was something she should keep in mind in the future. "Can we get past these guys without causing a ruckus? I don't want to sign a contract with an unknown entity if we can avoid it..." Still, though, now that the initial shock had worn off, she found herself incredibly curious to see what the gem had to say for itself.

• Options
    As Alise concentrates the gem whispers "I am Enthrexa. I have been trapped. I believe that the room is enhancing my ability to communicate. But I am attuning to you now and I most likely able to speak to you if you concentrate later.

I believe I can teleport you out of this area. I sense your feelings of entrapment and that there are more of you. The power of this room will magnify my now weakened abilities. I can take all of you.

I believe my essence has been fractured. And I sense that a shard is in the direction your mind tells me you are going. But you can't get there easily. I can help."

• Options
    Sensing a willingness from the people gathered around, the gem emits a piercing green light. You all feel like you are sucked into the light, and it envelops you until all you can see is green. You sense directional shifts, velocity increasing, and suddenly, with a giant *POP* you tumble onto a grassy glade. The hole you were looking up at previously is no longer visible anywhere. A fresh, light breeze blows through the clover you are lying on. Above you is a crystal blue sky. In the distance, trees, and farther still, towers.

In Alise's head, she hears the gem say satisfactorily, "There. Welcome to the Emerald Empire. Or the Eladrin Empire, as you call it in your time. I'll be around if you need me." The presence winks out of Alise's mind, and she is left breathless with the sheer arcane power that was channeled through her.

• Options
    The sudden shift disorients Persecutus. Shaking his head back and forth the revenant rises from the ground, grabbing his axe and shield and readying them. Turning around in a complete circle to get his bearings, he focuses in on the trees and towers in the distance.

"It appears that Alise's new friend has delivered us out of the darkfey's domain. To where, I know not, and I doubt the gem helped us out of the goodness of its...gem..."

The distrust is evident on Persecutus's voice. He had been used once too often for his liking.

• Options
    Alise stood in a daze. Teleportation magic! That was certainly a new experience for her. Maybe Enthraxa could teach her about it some day. Hearing the tone of Persecutus' voice, though, brought her back down to earth. "I...well, she did say that we were now in the Eladrin Empire. And that she wanted us to gather the rest of the shards that make up the gem."

Alise quiets down, giving the others a chance to speak. While she was mostly excited to finally feel some measure of freedom, most of the others didn't quite have the same perspective, and she wanted to hear how they viewed the whole situation. Looking around, Alise realized that, as Persecutus said, they really had no idea where they were, or where to go next.

• Options
    "Well, that was interesting." Shen shakes his head a bit to clear out the dizzyness and takes a look around them. With a quick look up to the sky and at the grass and trees around, he tries to piece together where exactly they might be.
    Nature=16

• Options
    Grass gently cushioning her, sunlight warming her face, Riishi giggles lightly as she sits up, smiling broadly. Crossing a benighted wasteland and tunneling into mountains, how long has it been since she’s sat in the sunshine? She tries to hold onto the pleasure as she gets her bearings. She turns her head just in time to see a smoky blur before she is seized by a ferocious kitten. The two roll once before Cherka bounds away to sit demurely grooming its face as if play was beneath even consideration of such a stately feline. Riishi stands, hands on hips, and stretches her senses…
    Nature, Perception: 2#1d20+10 18 24

• Options
    The mountains in the west seem like the mountains you just came from, but you can't be 100% sure as you have never traveled to the other side of them.

Riishi looks around delightedly. The meadow you are in is sparkling green and fresh. The trees are unlike any you've ever seen before, which suggests you really are east of the mountains. The tower in the distance is also completely foreign to you. Long, graceful spirals reach up on either side of a white pillar. Come to think of it, the only thing that reminds you at all of this was the black tower in the darkfey kingdom.

Besides that, all looks calm and peaceful here. Little butterflies dance in the grass. Swallows fly up above. The air is warm and the weather balmy.

• Options
    Riishi saunters over to her similar-sized, larger and largest companions, scooping up the kitten on her way. “Well,” scratching behind Cherka’s dusky ear, “If we’re searching for information or aid, I guess that’s our goal.” In case there was any doubt, she nods toward the distant, gleaming tower. With an affirmative Yeow, the cat slinks from Riishi’s arms, expands several sizes, and noses at a tall vermillion flower.
    “Anyway, it’s a beautiful day for a walk,” she suggests.

• Options
    Persecutus gestures as he begins to speak.

"Agreed. The tower in that direction should be our goal."

Sheathing his battle axe and shield, and shouldering his pack the revenant waits for everyone else to prepare and then begins the trek towards the treeline.

• Options
    "Yes, lets go. It is too...open, here." Shen looks around warily as he moves after Persecutus.
    Perception=24

• Options
    "Well, I can't see any other landmarks, so..." Alise shrugs and follows behind the others, pausing every few seconds to take in the scenery.

• Options
    You set off in the direction of the tower, Shen keeping an eye out for anything dangerous-looking. It's a long walk, and as you get closer, you realize just how tall the tower is. It seems strange to see it jutting out of the woods the way it does, and you've never seen anything like it in the kingdom where you were born.

And then you are very close, and Shen notices something very interesting about it. The only color on the tower is a black feather painted at its highest point. And circling the base are some small stones which you recognize as grave markers.

Persecutus instantly knows what he is looking at- a temple to the Raven Queen. But he's never seen one so grand or well-kept in his life, as most folk in the dragonborn kingdom do not worship her until old age or at the passing of a loved one.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Persecutus remains completely silent as the pass through the grasslands. His eyes move back and forth, surveying the horizon and keeping watch for anything that might try to take the party by surprise. As they pass under the canopy of trees and reach the edge of the tower's expanse, the revenant stops and holds his hands out, stopping any of his compatriots from moving forward.

"This is a sacred place; one that shows respect towards the Raven Queen's power over death. We should be wary of entering the grounds, and perhaps avoid them altogether."

He stands completely motionless staring at the structure. His face is emotionless, but his eyes are fixated on the tower as if in deep internal thought. After what seems like several minutes he turns his attention to the surrounding forest, looking for any paths that lead away from the tower and deeper into the forest; always careful not to enter the areas closest to the tower and gravestones.

Perception: 10 :(

The virtual dice are always against me!

Illianthar on
  • Options
    "Agreed, it is best not to disturb the dead. Even moreso when the dead suggest it." Shen grins and helps Persecutus find a path around that will disturb as little as possible.
    Perception=12 or you can be nice and take my 20 passive, heh.

• Options
    Alise stopped to stare at the tower. She wasn't about to doubt Persecutus' word on how safe it was to cross here, but...Are you there? Alise thought in her mind. She didn't know how exactly this connection with the gem worked, so she felt a little silly about the whole thing, but she needed to know...Please tell me there isn't a gem of yours here. I believe my companion when he says we shouldn't go near the tower. She craned her neck upwards to look at the tower, and shuddered as she pondered the implications of Persecutus' warning. The thought of possible trouble if they accidentally disturbed something made her keep her eyes peeled.
    perception: 1d20+5 = 15

• Options
    "No, this is not the place," whispered the gem inside Alise's mind.

• Options
    Riishi looks around warily, finding her companion's unease unsettling. She was further unbalanced because Cherka seemed to have disappeared into the verdant shadows around the clearing.

"Then... eastward?"
    Perception: 1d20+10 15

• Options
    Alise breathed a sigh of relief. "hey, if you say its not a good idea, I believe you. Besides," she added, patting the pouch with the gem, "our new...friend says there's nothing in there as far as she's concerned."