As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This is why I hate people - US Fails at teachning TIME CUBE

• Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    "I just saw this great study in the Daily Mail saying that 99.9% of Brits know that the world is round!" - Nobody, 2011

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Druhim wrote: »
    Look, this is really fucking simple. Kusu tried to make a point that would have made sense if he'd actually iterated it in a semi-intelligent manner. Hunter misunderstood what he meant, not because Hunter's stupid or a pedant but because Kusu expressed himself very poorly. Then when given an opportunity to simply clarify what he meant (which could have been done very simply if that was in fact what he meant all along), he instead got into a stupid argument about what he said and what he meant. So Hunter may be silly for dragging this out with Kusu, but ultimately the idiot prize goes to Kusu for just being really idiotic about the whole thing and not just owning up that he really fucking garbled his alleged message. I say alleged because I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's just backpedaling to pretend that's what he meant all along. Who the fuck knows.

naw, it's more that you do the exact same thing as Hunter pretty regularly in that you ascribe your own failure to parse to the perceived flaws of others

I've admitted that I could have made one point in my argument more clearly, but I think that speaking ambiguously is much, much less obnoxious than claiming that I've said things that I haven't

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That's not kusu

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hunter wrote: »
    So you think I'm manufacturing all sorts of stuff, while you manufacture a hidden agenda behind a survey and bring Michael Moore into it?

Honestly, I'm impressed by your effort.

what is so "hidden" about the agenda here?

do you legitimately think that this survey was conducted out of an unbiased interest in the state of human knowledge?

oh my lord.

What's hidden is that nobody wrote the title of their secret agenda on the top of the picture, so it's just a speculation at this point if the conspiracy is jewish space lizard or islamo-communist radical related.

Hunter on
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Artreus wrote: »
    That's not kusu

does it really matter

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That's So Kusu

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Solar wrote: »
    Why are we arguing over a survey which is useless anyway

This is why a stick to quantitative analysis.

Also, 49% of all transition metals I test at least believe in the heliocentric astronomical model.

You only test the poor ones Hunter

This is not indicative of overall metal intelligence

Solar on
  • Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    can we just sum it up by saying that americans is dumb at sciences irregardless of the survey sample type?

Mr. Buttons on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    whoever it is, he's right, but he's expressing himself even more insufferably than I do

at least the "yu" thing is gone

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    DeaconBluesDeaconBlues __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    Callius wrote: »
    again, equally applicable to the unborn - you can't obectively prove they're somehow less worthy of rights than (say) newborns.
    So, if I'm hearing you right, your argument is resting upon the 14th amendment?

Of course, yes, those on the wrong side of history always try the intellectually lazy track of claiming the subject in question isn't human.

Also argue economic penury, lifestyle change... sound familiar?

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    can we just sum it up by saying that americans is dumb at sciences irregardless of the survey sample type?
    I hate your face

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh, that's right. Shank is the stupid, annoying one.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    So you think I'm manufacturing all sorts of stuff, while you manufacture a hidden agenda behind a survey and bring Michael Moore into it?

do you legitimately think that this survey was conducted out of an unbiased interest in the state of human knowledge?

oh my lord.

What's hidden is that nobody wrote the title of their secret agenda on the top of the picture, so it's just a speculation at this point if the conspiracy is jewish space lizard or islamo-communist radical related.

are you seriously calling me a conspiracy theorist for claiming that there is some bias inherent to surveys that intend to illustrate how idiotic vast swathes of the population are?

you think the survey you posted is absolutely 100% unbiased and objective, and was not conceived with the purpose of making a particular point?

Hunter, that is fucking moronic.

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    fart~

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Of course, yes, those on the wrong side of history always try the intellectually lazy track of claiming the subject in question isn't human.

Interesting. Now, if a pregnant woman accidentally causes a car accident and her pregnancy is terminated early - should she be charged with involuntary manslaughter?

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    ZeroFill wrote: »
    I refuse to believe there is an evil spirit of disinformation enchanting people's minds, or a nefarious system in place replacing knowledge with faulty information..

Que?

Oh hey that's pretty darn cool.
    I mean, I don't believe in strict creationism, and I can certainly see how said belief could lead to bad policies.
    I am just relieved that the "Human's evolved, God had no part in the process" section is still only like 16%.
    It's pretty cool that so many people believe in a God.

well then, bad news, because the gaps are getting smaller

just out of curiosity, what is better about a society that believes in evolution guided by god than a society that understands evolution and doesn't see a need for the god hypothesis?

I think the belief in a god is something that provides spirituality, imagination, and concepts of morality.

I feel it's an important aspect in the way that humanity can strive to become something better- more god like- if you will.

Now obviously, people can strive to be better without believing in a god.
    It's just my belief that it isn't as successful. Piety is grown really well by Theism. Basically, that a godless world be lacking virtues and such, which couldn't be replicated without it.

Then you of course, have my biased christian answer.
    Which would be that less people would be free from sin, less would find the mercy of Christ, etc.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Interesting. Now, if a pregnant woman accidentally causes a car accident and her pregnancy is terminated early - should she be charged with involuntary manslaughter?

Well duh

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    fart~

This is the highlight of the thread

CorporateLogo on

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Druhim wrote: »
    Oh, that's right. Shank is the stupid, annoying one.

28 years old :)

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

oh my lord.

I don't know why you are taking it to these extremes.

It is entirely possible that it was just a shitty writer who had an idea and did what he had to do to write the article he wanted to write.

It doesn't have to be more sinister or crazy than that.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    ZeroFill wrote: »
    I refuse to believe there is an evil spirit of disinformation enchanting people's minds, or a nefarious system in place replacing knowledge with faulty information..

Que?

Oh hey that's pretty darn cool.
    I mean, I don't believe in strict creationism, and I can certainly see how said belief could lead to bad policies.
    I am just relieved that the "Human's evolved, God had no part in the process" section is still only like 16%.
    It's pretty cool that so many people believe in a God.

well then, bad news, because the gaps are getting smaller

just out of curiosity, what is better about a society that believes in evolution guided by god than a society that understands evolution and doesn't see a need for the god hypothesis?

I think the belief in a god is something that provides spirituality, imagination, and concepts of morality.

I feel it's an important aspect in the way that humanity can strive to become something better- more god like- if you will.

It's just my belief that it isn't as successful. Piety is grown really well by Theism. Basically that a godless world be lacking virtues and such. which couldn't be replicated without it.

Then, you of course have my biased christian answer.
    Which would be that less people would be free from sin, less would find the mercy of Christ, etc.

Wow. This post is pretty fucking amazing in how naively bigoted it is.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Just don't use "irregardless" and the answer is yes.

Hunter on
  • Options
    DeaconBluesDeaconBlues __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011

Not unless there were special circumstances involved - like, whatever the standard for regular accidents should be applied.

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    fart~

This is the highlight of the thread

thanx

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I, too, base my opinions of the country off of Jay Leno's "Jaywalking"

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

It's just my belief that it isn't as successful. Piety is grown really well by Theism. Basically that a godless world be lacking virtues and such. which couldn't be replicated without it.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011

oh my lord.

It is entirely possible that it was just a shitty writer who had an idea and did what he had to do to write the article he wanted to write.

Did you mean Charles Kinbote the crazy or me, because I was joking about the islamo-communists.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Not unless there were special circumstances involved - like, whatever the standard for regular accidents should be applied.
    If a woman dies because of complications due to a fetus coming to full term, should the newborn child be charged with manslaughter?

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Isn't woman driver enough?

Hunter on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • Options
    edited March 2011

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH

Seriously, it's kind of amazing that as a professed Christian he seems to be ignorant of the core message of the New Testament, that we are all sinners and that heaven can only be attained through Christ's sacrifice. No, no, Christians are just better people and get into heaven by not sinning. Riiiiight.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Even that is a disingenious assertation

Ranked by country, Americans rank 2nd behind the swedes. (Not a close 2nd, mind you)

Not that I don't feel the 'scientific literacy' rate shouldn't be higher; personally, I feel our political landscape could greatly benefit from a significantly increased understanding of scientific knowledge, and could even potentially turn the tide of the religious bloc's current campaign against science; Which it treats as if it were another religion competing for followers.

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If a woman dies because of complications due to a fetus coming to full term, should the newborn child be charged with manslaughter?

Well, on the plus side, they could then become a part of our thriving prison system, which would be good for the economy.

LTM on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    christians are free from sin because they are forgiven by god after baptism, not because they are "better people"

or at least that's what i was taught

you're misinterpreting what he is saying, dru.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    If a man and a pregnant woman have unprotected sex and the man's ejaculate gets on the baby, should he then be charged with pedophilia? Should the woman be charged with it as well?

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Is Sweden like some sort of super country? They beat everyone at everything.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    you know what, no. never mind. this thread is awful

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    That's original sin you're thinking of cloudman

CorporateLogo on

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011

oh my lord.

Did you mean Charles Kinbote the crazy or me, because I was joking about the islamo-communists.

Oh. Either really. I was just trying to say he doesn't necessarily have to be thinking it is one of those things to think the article has an agenda.

But then again I haven't actually been reading his posts all that closely.

Artreus on