As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX PRIME 2011 Information and FAQ (READ THIS FIRST, THEN ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

• Options
    DevinOlsenDevinOlsen Registered User new member
    What time does Will Call open on Friday? I want to know how early I can pick up my passes.

Thank You

• Options
    tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    For those picking up badges on-site, please note our will-call booth is located on the 1st floor of the convention center this year, and will be available between 2:00pm and 8:00pm on Thursday, 8:00am and 8:00pm on Friday/Saturday, and 8:00am and 3:00pm on Sunday.

Edit: Fixed Quote tag. This is from the Paxsite mainpage

tsrblke on
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    At PAX East I remember there being a table set up for either UPS or Fed Ex which allowed people to pack their items and ship them back to their home. Will there be anything like this at PAX Prime? I want to avoid having to do bag check and the possible fees that go along with it, so I was wondering if anyone knew the approx prices/guidelines (do we pack our own stuff into the box?) of any on site shipping options. Thanks!

If I recall correctly, there is a Kinko/fedex store thingy inside the WSCC

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    MelceneMelcene Tacoma, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah, there is a Kinko/FedEx on the bottom level of the WSCC.

melcene-wide.png
    mogablah-BlackUserbar.gif
  • Options
    soonerjuddsoonerjudd Registered User regular
    On a related note, does anyone know if there are lockers available at the convention center? I'm bussing in, so I won't have a hotel room or car to keep my swag in. I'd rather not have to haul it around all day if possible.

• Options
    nickswarnickswar Registered User regular
    Hi everyone! The updated version of PAX Assistant is now on the android market. Just search for PAX and it should be one of the first. I added some new schedule logic that checks for new data 24/7. The app will alert you of a schedule update within 30 min of a schedule change going live to the pax site. I also added a link to the forums within the app!

• Options
    Null SetNull Set Registered User new member
    Can you leave panels early if you want to get in line for another panel?

Is it cool to save spots in line for people who are not there yet, or save seats for people?

• Options
    causaboncausabon Registered User regular
    There is no storage at the convention center.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Null Set wrote:
    Can you leave panels early if you want to get in line for another panel?

Is it cool to save spots in line for people who are not there yet, or save seats for people?

Save spots in line for people who aren't there? not cool. Also not possible because enforcers keep a strict headcount on the line to determine when to call the line "full".

Save seats for friends you *know* are in line? not a dick move, but likely frowned on because theaters are intended to be filled from the front row heading back. You'd be better off to wait at the back of the theater for your friends further back in line and go in and sit together.

• Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    If people aren't in line with you, they'll have to get in the back of the line. No holding spots for people. The only exception there might be is if somebody has to use the bathroom. I would ask an enforcer about that though, as I think the enforcer managing the line would have to know when something like that takes place. But in an instance like that, the person has to be in line when you get in line and back within a few minutes (so no saying they're going to the bathroom while they leave the line for an hour, then come back right before everybody is let in).

E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    disposablecompdisposablecomp Registered User regular
    From the OP:
    The PA merch booth has ITEM X that I really really really want. When should I get it?

As soon as you can. Typically this means Friday morning on your way to the queue line. If what you want is guaranteed to be in limited supply (like the PAX East scarves, merch hats, or uncommonly sized tee shirts) get it first.

Am I reading into this too much, or will the Merch booth be opened before 10am?

• Options
    ChaossebbaChaossebba Registered User regular
    I just had a teeny question, I was just having a look at the way from my hotel (Sheraton Seattle) to the convention center, only to find that google maps will point me at a wall in some tunnel claiming it to be the convention center.

Anyone be as kind as to provide a simple route plan if I depart on foot from the Sheraton seattle? I'd appreciate it :>

• Options
    Chaossebba wrote:
    I just had a teeny question, I was just having a look at the way from my hotel (Sheraton Seattle) to the convention center, only to find that google maps will point me at a wall in some tunnel claiming it to be the convention center.

Anyone be as kind as to provide a simple route plan if I depart on foot from the Sheraton seattle? I'd appreciate it :>

exit hotel from lounge / restaurant exit. cross street. enter pax :D

• Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    SmallLady wrote:
    exit hotel from lounge / restaurant exit. cross street. enter pax :D
    Better/easier route: Follow the crowd. Enter PAX. :D

The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options
    ChaossebbaChaossebba Registered User regular
    Shouldn't be too hard to find, thanks folks

• Options
    GhandiGhandi Registered User regular
    soonerjudd wrote:
    On a related note, does anyone know if there are lockers available at the convention center? I'm bussing in, so I won't have a hotel room or car to keep my swag in. I'd rather not have to haul it around all day if possible.

Hey, I don't know where I'll be parking every day but if it's nearby you're welcome to store it in my car. Only downside is the whole 'you have to work with my schedule' thing but I guess it's better than nothing. Send me a PM if nothing else pops up.

xbl: Ghandi5
    steam: Nemesis_21
    origin: Ghandi5
    twitter: @maxaguirre5

RCTID
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    Merged from PAX handout question
    Mr.Sci-Fi wrote:
    I belong to a group of artists that is currently making a fan film based on a video game. If I were to print up some flyers is it ok to hand them out at pax, maybe drop them at one of the hand out tables I've seen at pax before?

E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    From the OP:
    The PA merch booth has ITEM X that I really really really want. When should I get it?

As soon as you can. Typically this means Friday morning on your way to the queue line. If what you want is guaranteed to be in limited supply (like the PAX East scarves, merch hats, or uncommonly sized tee shirts) get it first.

They didn't open the Merch booth before they opened the expo hall floor last year, doubtful they will this year.

Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

• Options
    ElmoFuntz wrote:
    From the OP:

They didn't open the Merch booth before they opened the expo hall floor last year, doubtful they will this year.

I didn't think so, but just wanted to check.

• Options
    courtneyjcourtneyj Newcastle, WARegistered User regular
    Chaossebba wrote:

The convention center is actually over I-5 so, there is a tunnel underneath parts of it. You won't ever see it leaving your hotel though, it's probably 2-3 stories beneath street level but the map has to show it since that's where the cars go.

• Options
    RunsWithBritishRunsWithBritish Registered User new member
    Forgive me if this has already been answered, but what are the rules with video camera use? Let's say, hypothetically, amateur-interviewing and things 'n' stuff. I'm unsure as to the difference between needing a media badge and owning a video camera and extending microphone.

• Options
    GhandiGhandi Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Forgive me if this has already been answered, but what are the rules with video camera use? Let's say, hypothetically, amateur-interviewing and things 'n' stuff. I'm unsure as to the difference between needing a media badge and owning a video camera and extending microphone.

AFAIK everything is able to be recorded unless stated otherwise (booth with a sign, person asking to not have them/their booth recorded). Think it was answered somewhere in this here post.

*edit* Here we go:
    Moe Fwacky wrote:
    Most panels and booths are fine to record/photograph. The only exceptions will have signs up that say "NO RECORDING" or "NO PHOTOGRAPHY". The rule of thumb is, if you don't see a sign saying you can't record, then it's okay to record.

Ghandi on
    xbl: Ghandi5
    steam: Nemesis_21
    origin: Ghandi5
    twitter: @maxaguirre5

RCTID
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    For the Super Street Fighter IV AE tourney, will that be PS3 or 360? I would love to bring my fightpad (or buy a ps3 one) for it. I was looking for the tourney thread and couldn't find it.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    Moe Fwacky wrote:
    Merged from PAX handout question
    Mr.Sci-Fi wrote:
    I belong to a group of artists that is currently making a fan film based on a video game. If I were to print up some flyers is it ok to hand them out at pax, maybe drop them at one of the hand out tables I've seen at pax before?

Unofficial answer: I've never seen any issue with this in the past, as long as you're following Wheaton's Law (and you're not guerilla marketing E4All). If there's an issue with flyering within the badge-required areas, there are plenty of public spaces in the WSCC and outside the main doors. You could also ask the food joints on the first floor if you could leave stacks on their tables.

5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    mcmax3000mcmax3000 Registered User regular
    ElmoFuntz wrote:

That's true but they did open the Merch booth that was off the expo floor (there were two) early at PAX East this year so it wouldn't be completely out of the question.

• Options
    CaldvanCaldvan Registered User regular
    You'll need to arrive before the line is 'full', but there seating/space available. Just let an Enforcer know when you get there.

Lines fill up at different speeds depending on how popular the panel is. If it's a really popular panel, show up at least an hour early. Less popular panels will have space up until the panel starts, but never count on space that close to the panel start.

[E]
  • Options
    This will be my second year coming to PAX and I am pretty sure I am going to attend one event, if not two.
    (Pitch Your Game Idea and the Xplay Event)
    So I am in a wheelchair and was wondering how I get a spot I can see from, and how far ahead I should arrive at the assigned
    theater.

Did you pick up a medical badge?

• Options
    mcmax3000 wrote:
    ElmoFuntz wrote:

That's true but they did open the Merch booth that was off the expo floor (there were two) early at PAX East this year so it wouldn't be completely out of the question.

The map shows it right outside the Queue Room, not in the Expo Hall. Here is hoping that is the case, it would make things easier for me for sure and probably countless other people.

• Options
    mcmax3000 wrote:
    ElmoFuntz wrote:

The map shows it right outside the Queue Room, not in the Expo Hall. Here is hoping that is the case, it would make things easier for me for sure and probably countless other people.

PAX PRIME Merch booth is always outside the Expo Hall. From what I heard, the two booths at East was a new idea. The PRIME map is finalized, there's no need to think we'll relocate merch at the last minute. :)

• Options
    If you haven't already picked up a medical badge, roll over to Info Booth and pick one up. It will come in very handy throughout the show. :)

• Options
    Liger wrote:
    PAX PRIME Merch booth is always outside the Expo Hall. From what I heard, the two booths at East was a new idea. The PRIME map is finalized, there's no need to think we'll relocate merch at the last minute. :)

OK, not going to lie, I don't see it on the map at all. For that matter, I just noticed I don't actually see an entrance into the 4th floor expo either. I'm thoroughly confused.

• Options
    tsrblke wrote:
    Liger wrote:

OK, not going to lie, I don't see it on the map at all. For that matter, I just noticed I don't actually see an entrance into the 4th floor expo either. I'm thoroughly confused.

May I have a link to the map you're looking at?

• Options
    Liger wrote:
    mcmax3000 wrote:
    ElmoFuntz wrote:

I know it was always outside, what I meant is if it was actually opened before Expo hall opens it would be easier for people to grab shirts and books on their way to the Queue room.

• Options
    niq24601niq24601 Registered User regular
    redfield85 wrote:
    For the Super Street Fighter IV AE tourney, will that be PS3 or 360? I would love to bring my fightpad (or buy a ps3 one) for it. I was looking for the tourney thread and couldn't find it.
    So far the word has been "wait for the console tournament thread for specifics". In the absence of other information you might want to check out the PAX East 2011 console tournament info thread for rules for repeat tournaments (everything except MK9). Cliff notes:
    • none of the full-size tourneys were on PS3
    • alternate controllers were allowed but not provided
    • various stickler rules were not mentioned (pausing does not result in a forfeit, turbo buttons are allowed)
    • but obvious game brokenness was elminated (Akuma has been banned in ... uhh, whatever game it is where Akuma is always banned)

niq24601.jpg
    "gay" and "rape". You keep on using those words. I do not think they mean what you think they mean.
  • Options
    Liger wrote:
    tsrblke wrote:
    Liger wrote:

May I have a link to the map you're looking at?

Right off the Main PAX site. Unless you're speaking of a different map: http://prime.paxsite.com/expohall_page1.pdf
    I may also just be blind.

• Options
    Those maps are ONLY the Expo halls, and not the rest of the convention. Entrances to the 4th floor Expo can be found just below the Square Enix booth, and below the Red 5 Studios booths. The Skybridge connects the two main sections. The 6th floor entrances are next to the restrooms.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Yeah, unfortunately the main con maps aren't up on the site yet. You can find them on most of the mobile apps though.

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    niq24601 wrote:
    redfield85 wrote:
    So far the word has been "wait for the console tournament thread for specifics". In the absence of other information you might want to check out the PAX East 2011 console tournament info thread for rules for repeat tournaments (everything except MK9). Cliff notes:
    • none of the full-size tourneys were on PS3
    • alternate controllers were allowed but not provided
    • various stickler rules were not mentioned (pausing does not result in a forfeit, turbo buttons are allowed)
    • but obvious game brokenness was elminated (Akuma has been banned in ... uhh, whatever game it is where Akuma is always banned)

Thanks. I didn't think to check the old thread.

I guess I will drag my 360 FightPad along with me just in case.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    disabledgamerj2disabledgamerj2 Kirkland, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    OK I know this subject has probably been answered, but I am having a hard time finding it on this thread.
    I am wanting to go to a few events this year. I am in a wheelchair and was wondering who I could see about getting a good seat
    for the events I want to go to, so I will be able to see.
    Also, how far in advance should I arrive?

Thanks

• Options
    OK I know this subject has probably been answered, but I am having a hard time finding it on this thread.
    I am wanting to go to a few events this year. I am in a wheelchair and was wondering who I could see about getting a good seat
    for the events I want to go to, so I will be able to see.
    Also, how far in advance should I arrive?

Thanks

Email pax_questions@paxsite.com to get a medical badge :)

This discussion has been closed.