As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

GMT-5 or GMT-4?

CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
Windows' built-in Time Zone dialog says that Eastern Time zone is GMT-5. Selecting that on PA renders incorrect times. GMT-4 renders the correct time. Which is wrong?

CZroe on

• Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited May 2004
    phpBB doesn't take Daylight Savings Time into effect, so for 6 months of the year, you have to set the timezone of the boards incorrectly.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited May 2004
    phpBB doesn't take Daylight Savings Time into effect, so for 6 months of the year, you have to set the timezone of the boards incorrectly.

OK, I can deal with that. We can always use a little more daylight...

CZroe on
  • Options
    OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2004
    phpBB can't take Daylight Savings Time into effect, since there are generally people from differnt areas posting on boards.

Fixed to prevent the inevatable request for daylight savings time

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • Options
    IchinisanIchinisan Registered User regular
    edited May 2004
    You would think that PhpBB would be programmed to know which time-zones are affected by DST and which are not.

Ichinisan on
  • Options
    OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2004
    Ichinisan wrote:
    You would think that PhpBB would be programmed to know which time-zones are affected by DST and which are not.

That would be a huge ammount of effort cokpared to people adjusting their time off set twice a year. Do you complain about the need to change your clocks twice a year?

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • Options
    edited May 2004
    Orthanc wrote:
    Ichinisan wrote:

That would be a huge ammount of effort cokpared to people adjusting their time off set twice a year. Do you complain about the need to change your clocks twice a year?

It wouldn't be that hard to implement a DST switch. When was the last time you had to manually change the clock on any computer you own due to DST?

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited May 2004
    Orthanc wrote:
    Ichinisan wrote:

It wouldn't be that hard to implement a DST switch. When was the last time you had to manually change the clock on any computer you own due to DST?

But with a board, it's not a simple switch, you have to check for every user, every time they view the boards.

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • Options
    edited May 2004
    Orthanc wrote:
    Orthanc wrote:
    Ichinisan wrote:

But with a board, it's not a simple switch, you have to check for every user, every time they view the boards.

Exactly like it's done right now, right? The only difference would be a database entry and maybe an extra line or two of code.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2004
    mwahahahaha we have no time zone switch where I live.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2004
    Orthanc wrote:
    Orthanc wrote:
    Ichinisan wrote:

I'LL COKPARE YOU!

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited May 2004
    obviously, there have been programmers who have taackled this problem in the past.

So it could be done.

But speaking personally, I'm not a proponent of doing something just because it can be done. In this case, I don't feel there is sufficient need for it to be anything but the lowest of priorities.

Ramius on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2004
    Ramius wrote:
    obviously, there have been programmers who have taackled this problem in the past.

So it could be done.

But speaking personally, I'm not a proponent of doing something just because it can be done. In this case, I don't feel there is sufficient need for it to be anything but the lowest of priorities.

Man, your avatar is a red x and you're typo-ing all over the place. What's next, you're gonna walk outside wearing your pants on your head?

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited May 2004
    pheezer wrote:
    Man, your avatar is a red x and you're typo-ing all over the place. What's next, you're gonna walk outside wearing your pants on your head?

So close...

bombardier on
  • Options
    bugbreadbugbread Registered User regular
    edited May 2004

You people who have time zone changes don't have to change your computer clocks? I just kinda assumed you did.

Besides which, in general parlance, I wasn't aware there was an Eastern time zone. There's EST (Eastern Standard Time) and EDT (Eastern Daylight Time). What is the generic word for the time zone on the east coast of the US?

bugbread on
    Thanks a lot, homophobic backwards selfish idiotic warmongering busybody bible-thumping asshole hicks of America.
  • Options
    edited May 2004
    bugbread wrote:

You people who have time zone changes don't have to change your computer clocks? I just kinda assumed you did.

Besides which, in general parlance, I wasn't aware there was an Eastern time zone. There's EST (Eastern Standard Time) and EDT (Eastern Daylight Time). What is the generic word for the time zone on the east coast of the US?

I shouldn't have capitalized "Zone"

Other than that, I was simply quoting the Windows dialog:
    eastern_time.jpg

Though I have heard it referred to as both EST and EDT. Looks like Windows just lumps it together and the checkbox is what differentiates the two.

CZroe on
  • Options
    ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited May 2004
    Ramius wrote:

So it could be done.

Exactly.

I have a lot of people ask about this, and to be honest, it's so low of a priority, that it is not even on my todo list. :wink:

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2004
    Ramius wrote:

So it could be done.

Exactly.

I have a lot of people ask about this, and to be honest, it's so low of a priority, that it is not even on my todo list. :wink:
    am I on your todo list?

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    bugbreadbugbread Registered User regular
    edited May 2004
    CZroe wrote:
    I shouldn't have capitalized "Zone"

Other than that, I was simply quoting the Windows dialog:
    eastern_time.jpg

Though I have heard it referred to as both EST and EDT. Looks like Windows just lumps it together and the checkbox is what differentiates the two.

That makes sense. "Eastern Time" sounds pretty viable too. Dunno why it hadn't occured to me.

bugbread on
    Thanks a lot, homophobic backwards selfish idiotic warmongering busybody bible-thumping asshole hicks of America.
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2004
    Orthanc wrote:
    Ichinisan wrote:

I do. Well, I don't I just don't change them, then for half the year my clocks tell the correct time and for half the year I just subtract an hour mentally. Well, an hour and fifteen minutes nowadays, due to most of my clocks being fantastically inacurate and slowly dragging themselves out of synch. I really dislike having to change clocks.

Szechuanosaurus on