Options

[Gay Rights] Scott Walker still trying to get fired.

• Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Wait, wearing a mask at a school football game, shouting about how what he's doing isn't illegal, asking if it's still a free country?

We're sure he's not a Southpark character?

Lord Palington on
    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The prop 8 proponents are getting desperate.

They're try to get Judge Walker to recuse himself because he's gay.
    SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Proponents of California's same-sex marriage ban filed a motion Monday seeking to vacate the historic ruling that overturned Proposition 8 because the federal judge who wrote it is in a long-term relationship with another man.

Lawyers for the ban's backers said in the motion in San Francisco's U.S. District Court that Chief U.S. District Judge Vaughn Walker should have removed himself from the case, or at least disclosed his relationship status, because his "impartiality might reasonably be questioned."

"Only if Chief Judge Walker had unequivocally disavowed any interest in marrying his partner could the parties and the public be confident that he did not have a direct personal interest in the outcome of the case," attorneys for the coalition of religious and conservative groups that put Proposition 8 on the November 2008 ballot wrote. Proposition 8 overturned a ruling by the California Supreme Court legalizing same-sex marriages.

What douchenozzles. It was clear that he was gay well before the trial. That was the time for them to bring this up.

Now they're just reaching for anything they can get to delay things.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Why should we elect blacks or women to office? They're just going to try and pass laws that give blacks and women more rights.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    To be fair it is a lot better reasoned than their original case...

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I could have sworn this came up before and it was pointed out that their case hinged upon gay marriage damaging straight marriage and therefore everybody who might participate in a marriage would be biased.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I could have sworn this came up before and it was pointed out that their case hinged upon gay marriage damaging straight marriage and therefore everybody who might participate in a marriage would be biased.

Yep...and it's still has better logic than their original case.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Thurgood Marshall obviously should have recused himself from anything concerning civil rights legislation because he was black.

Couscous on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    Walker's sexuality was a thing right after the ruling. This is not some new strategy, but a desperate rehashing.

Walker is openly gay and there was no opposition to this from lawyers when the case began. For fuck's sake, I think Walker is a Bush appointee.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I've been hearing a lot of people saying that this vacancy attempt is nothing more than a way to scare up more money once it's denied.

Man in the Mists on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Couscous wrote: »
    Thurgood Marshall obviously should have recused himself from anything concerning civil rights legislation because he was black.
    The only people capable of being neutral on cases involving race, gender, or sexuality are heterosexual white males.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    The only people capable of being neutral on cases involving race, gender, or sexuality are heterosexual white males.

Of course we are. Who else is unbiased enough to view us in a favorable light?

shryke on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I've been hearing a lot of people saying that this vacancy attempt is nothing more than a way to scare up more money once it's denied.

You're probably right.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    WOW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=murKRfTfGQs

Just... WOW. I mean, I knew Pat was crazy, but I didn't know he was CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZY.

For those who want the text:
    Robertson: Well it’s the left; it’s this culture of death. The far-left is livid about killing babies. They want to kill do this, they want to destroy. You go back, and I don’t want to play all this psychological stuff but nevertheless, if a woman is a lesbian, what advantage does she have over a married woman? Or what deficiency does she have?

Meeuwsen: Well she can’t have children

Robertson: That’s exactly right. And so if these married women don’t have children, if they abort their babies, then that kind of puts them on a level playing field. And you say, nobody’s there to express that? Isn’t that shocking, well think about it a little bit ladies and gentlemen.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    And people bristle when I suggest that religion should fall under "hate speech."

Atomika on
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Come on, Ross. Not all religious people talk like that. Folks like Falwell, Robertson and Westboro Baptist are especially high profile bigots just because they have (or had, in Falwell's case) a lot of national exposure. Unfortunately, they garnered that national exposure exactly because of the polarizing and terrible things that come out of their mouths, not because what they say actually represents everyone who claims Christianity.

I honestly do bristle a little when you make a blanket statement that all religion should fall under "hate speech". How about you amend that and say that hate speech from any source is bad? Just because someone is religious (whatever religion they may be) doesn't mean they automatically get a hate-on for everyone around them.

Unfortunately, until the correct kind of legislation comes along and the law fully recognizes homosexuals as people, it will be hard to get people like Robertson for any kind of hate speech crime. I would love to see a video clip one day of police busting into his 700 Club studio and arresting him on the spot for being the hate-mongering douche that he is. One day...

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I don't know if I'd say that religion = hate speech, but I do say that hate speech shouldn't get a pass just because it's religious.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Agreed. That's my entire point. Hate speech is hate speech, regardless of it's source. Just saying that all religion is a source of hate is pretty narrow-minded.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I don't know if I'd say that religion = hate speech, but I do say that hate speech shouldn't get a pass just because it's religious.

This is what I meant. Sorry for any confusion.

But yes, Robertson (and other attention whores like him) have made a living out of saying things that within any other context would get him either booted, laughed out of the room, or (depending on setting) arrested for incitement.

Atomika on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

But then I would say that Fallwell =/= religion.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Yet for many people, he does.

Atomika on
  • Options
    ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I always thought marriage should be something between N persons regardless of their gender, sexual identity or substrate (bring on Alife marriages, bitch!)

It saddens me that people are making this much fuzz about marriage between two people of the same gender - just makes you wonder how much longer everything I pointed out above will take to get implemented.

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »

I would say that he does. He represents a certain portion of Christianity that just happens to be hardcore against the idea of homosexuals (among other things). Other Christians (like myself) could care less about whether gay people get married. I feel like God would have us worry about bigger things than meddling in other people's lives to make themselves feel holy, but I digress...

If I really wanted to get in depth with it, I could point out that I have a hard time believing men like Robertson and Falwell really are Christians, considering that they have (had) an extreme lack of love for a portion of their fellow man, something that I'm pretty sure Jesus talked about quite a bit. But that's an entirely different discussion that isn't really for this thread.

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Shanadeus wrote: »
    I always thought marriage should be something between N persons regardless of their gender, sexual identity or substrate (bring on Alife marriages, bitch!)

It saddens me that people are making this much fuzz about marriage between two people of the same gender - just makes you wonder how much longer everything I pointed out above will take to get implemented.

I'm not against polyamory per say, but the benefits granted to married couples could become exponentially more complicated with 3+ in a marriage. That is going to be one hell of an uphill battle.

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I'm more concerned that currently polygamy is pretty much Patriarch+wives+children, where any rights are granted solely to the head male and women are treated as property. I can imagine a future where that's not the case, but until we get closer, I'm not going to be able to say I support it.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I'm more concerned that currently polygamy is pretty much Patriarch+wives+children, where any rights are granted solely to the head male and women are treated as property. I can imagine a future where that's not the case, but until we get closer, I'm not going to be able to say I support it.
    33ju5uq.jpg

Atomika on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    Falwell = dead these days, so it's not a pressing concern.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Let's not forget Mr. Hagee.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    mythagomythago Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    But yes, Robertson (and other attention whores like him) have made a living out of saying things that within any other context would get him either booted, laughed out of the room, or (depending on setting) arrested for incitement.

Oh, there are plenty of "gays go against natural law/evolution" secular bullshitters around.

WRT the motion against Judge Walker, this is litigation game-playing. They knew about Judge Walker's sexual orientation a year ago (there's a hilarious video of Maggie Gallagher flapping her lips incoherently about it). I would bet my left tit that they simply decided then to sit on it: if they won, they could say "see, even a GAY judge agrees with our position" and if they lost, as they did, they could then whine that he was biased and should have recused himself. Don't know that it will help him in that it's hard for them to explain to an appellate court why they kept their mouths shut about it this long. (Also, really, it's a dumb argument. Unless they have evidence that Walker was trying to marry his partner, this is the equivalent of 'black judges shouldn't decide civil-rights cases'.)

mythago on
    Three lines of plaintext:
    obsolete signature form
    replaced by JPEGs.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Delzhand wrote: »
    33ju5uq.jpg

I don't know who that is or what it means.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Actually, I kind of respect him. He has a bit of a point. Lawyers defend unpopular shit all the time. It's their job.

You're confusing public defenders and ACLU attorneys with "all lawyers". The guy's a civil litigator, not Atticus Finch. Also, the idea that DOMA is some hugely unpopular yet worthy pro bono cause a la David and Golliath is hilarious.

That aside, I have my doubts that the law firm actually buckled under pressure. From the comments about 'vetting' and the fact that this guy personally quit to handle the case, it sounds like the DOMA case was his personal "book of business", and because he was a Big Man at his firm nobody paid too much attention to his new client other than making sure it passed the conflicts check. Then when the shitstorm started they asked themselves WTF they were doing taking this case.

mythago on
    obsolete signature form
    replaced by JPEGs.
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I just wanted to say that Nashville Metro council member Jamie Hollin is awesome. Even was nice enough to respond to an email.

To sum up his message: In the end this will fail and history will not be kind to its proponents.

Invisible on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    mythago wrote: »

Oh, there are plenty of "gays go against natural law/evolution" secular bullshitters around.

The assertion that a sizable faction of homophobic secular activists exist and use evolutionary biology as their rallying point is so dubious that I'm going to have to ask for citation.

I mean, I don't doubt secular homophobes exist, even in large numbers. The Black community alone shows an alarming amount of secularly-motivated animosity towards the gay community. I just question the activism of a hypothetical sect of vehement naturalists who cannot abide efforts at non-reproductive sex.

Atomika on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The assertion that a sizable faction of homophobic secular activists exist and use evolutionary biology as their rallying point is so dubious that I'm going to have to ask for citation.

You want me to provide a citation for something you made up and put in my mouth? Huhwhazza?

If what you're actually asking is "Please provide examples of homophobic secular activists whose arguments do not rest on religion," here's a couple off the top of my head: David Blankenhorn, who was the star witness in the Proposition 8 federal trial, and his Institute for American Values. The State of California, defending Proposition 8 by arguing that it had a legitimate (that is: secular) interest in Prop 8. Less well-known: every bozo you've ever talked to who things gays are "gross" or "would be OK if they just didn't flaunt it so much".

I find this humorous given that you seem unable to distinguish "religion" from "a particular brand of socially-conservative Christianity."

mythago on
    obsolete signature form
    replaced by JPEGs.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    mythago wrote: »

You want me to provide a citation for something you made up and put in my mouth? Huhwhazza?

If what you're actually asking is "Please provide examples of homophobic secular activists whose arguments do not rest on religion," here's a couple off the top of my head: David Blankenhorn, who was the star witness in the Proposition 8 federal trial, and his Institute for American Values. The State of California, defending Proposition 8 by arguing that it had a legitimate (that is: secular) interest in Prop 8. Less well-known: every bozo you've ever talked to who things gays are "gross" or "would be OK if they just didn't flaunt it so much".

I find this humorous given that you seem unable to distinguish "religion" from "a particular brand of socially-conservative Christianity."

When you say words like, "plenty," I (wrongly?) assume you meant some kind of organized effort.

There's "plenty" of miserable assholes everywhere, but that doesn't mean they're lining up to side with crazy people who happen to share one single belief.

Atomika on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    When you say words like, "plenty," I (wrongly?) assume you meant some kind of organized effort.

There's "plenty" of miserable assholes everywhere, but that doesn't mean they're lining up to side with crazy people who happen to share one single belief.

People who share one single belief - Gay Bad - do tend to line up together, regardless of whether they the gay-is-badness comes from God. And of course people aren't always acting out of a single pure motive either. How many Christian homophobes would suddenly rush off to join PFLAG if it were proven that the line in Exodus was inserted by a later translator in the 18th century? (Answer: probably about six, tops.) How many people who rely on the Bible for their homophobia don't also spout off about how gays can't have babies or "it's an exit not an entrance" or babble about AIDS?

mythago on
    obsolete signature form
    replaced by JPEGs.
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    As much as I hate turning this away from the religious discussion again (actually I don't hate that at all)

Some assholes in Ohio burned a barn--and the eight horses in it--because the owner is gay

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think it's kind of hard to argue that the 'Gay == Bad' secular crowd or the 'eww gays are icky' non-churchy machismo crowd aren't coming from a religious origin when the social norms arise from the historically dominant majority religion.

It's like saying Christmas isn't a religious holiday because you're personally an atheist and are mostly in it for Santa and free shit - that doesn't mean it's not rooted in religion. 'No homo' frat guy is the same deal, only more ciruitous and with bigotry instead of a jolly fat guy.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Wow. Took me a minute, but "Fags are Freaks." Poor horses. Someone needs to call Tony Soprano on the SOB responsible.

I probably should mention that I'm not actually advocating a mob hit, but making reference to a certain storyline in The Sopranos involving fire and horses that ended badly for the person responsible courtesy of Tony Soprano.

Invisible on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That's super fucked up.

I hope that asshole is caught, thrown in prison and receives his due punishment and is rehabilitated to understand why his actions and the thoughts that led to them are not productive.

Note: despite my love of them, that's not intended to be a euphemism.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    I think it's kind of hard to argue that the 'Gay == Bad' secular crowd or the 'eww gays are icky' non-churchy machismo crowd aren't coming from a religious origin when the social norms arise from the historically dominant majority religion.

It's like saying Christmas isn't a religious holiday because you're personally an atheist and are mostly in it for Santa and free shit - that doesn't mean it's not rooted in religion. 'No homo' frat guy is the same deal, only more ciruitous and with bigotry instead of a jolly fat guy.

That's why only Christian-majority nations have a poor view of homosexuality. Oh, wait.

Homosexuality is a lot more about misogyny than it is about Exodus; that's why homophobes seem to forget lesbians exist half the time, and why it's considered hot to watch two women having sex but disgusting to watch two men.

mythago on
    obsolete signature form
    replaced by JPEGs.
This discussion has been closed.