As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tim Schafer's [DÜDLE] Legend

• Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Very cool, menace. More doodles!

Decided to reference two favorite characters of mine. :)

teenface2.png

F87 on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Those are looking good F87, there is a lot of likeness in Bran's, but I think your Arya is starting to drift.

I will spoiler these since I didn't draw any of them. But a couple of my buddies have been doing GoT drawings as well. I am actually working on one of Jon.
    arya.jpg

nedstark.jpg

sansa.jpg

rts on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Oh my dear goodness those are wonderful. The likeness in each is so strong. I really want to see your Jon Snow too, please post it once you start!

F87 on
  • Options
    --=DJ=----=DJ=-- Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Looking great, F87. Your linework is really excellent.

More spot illustration today. I might go back and fix the horrible guitar. I had to speed things up because it was getting busy in there.
    guitarist.jpg

--=DJ=-- on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    F87 - holy crap man. your lines are improving loads. really nice flow and thickness quality.

was wondering if someone may offer crits on this (i know ive been reluctant to act on crits in the past but i feel ive solved that issue now) im sturggling with how dark to make the values of the foreground in comparison to the background. the image is supposed to be quite dark in the shadows, but i want to hint darkness without actually going to 'black' - if that makes sense. also those figues in the piece are currently placeholder things. just to remind me of scale until i paint in proper characters.

*might help if i actually post the image

s5hgrt.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Your best bet is probably to push the reflected green of the sky light a bit more. Right now it's not coming through particularly strongly. Adding a few extra torches in the darkest areas in the back might also help punch it up a bit and give it a little more depth.

I'm not a lighting expert so it's a little too late for me to really labor over a paintover. Sorry.

Fugitive on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    WCK, i like how thats looking. Its very desaturated, but i don't mind that at all.

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    Mr PocketsMr Pockets Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I agree with Fugitive, if you were to add a light source within the darkness, seperate from the main light source(different color, saturation, variant intensities) then you would add a great deal of depth to the image. Also, from a matter of perspective, there should be a strong casting natural light coming through the archway in the middle ground toward the figure, I think this would add a great sense of focus to the image as currently there isn't a strong enough value difference or variance in hardness to the central part of the image that holds as much interest as the background.

just a bunch of thoughts...

Mr Pockets on
    FC DS:1590 1312 9126
    artbydanger.com
    andrewdickinger.blogspot.com
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I've been neglecting my childrens' illu lately, so here's another go at it.
    Hooray for bumpercars!
    botsauto.jpg

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    JusticePunkJusticePunk Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Wck, your work is awesome, I'd have to be the third to say the same as fugitive and pockets. Bounce some light, add some light fixtures. In games, the level designers use light to lead the player to the next area, same goes with paintings. Excellent work so far.

Editt:
    Thanks Tam, I took another whack at it.
    blaqyyy.jpg

I'm seeing some things still. Hands, Belts, Head. I'll take one more spin at it, then move on.

JusticePunk on
    lololololo.
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    perspective is way off on that
    he just looks squished
    head's too big, etc.

Tam on
  • Options
    Radar6590Radar6590 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    6d756cd92fa93e611d194f3d966769f8-d3ktinz.jpg

Doodling

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    Loomdun wrote: »
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
  • Options
    chidonachidona Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Ugh, shading beckons:

bust_half_complete_by_chidona-d3kunuy.jpg

Just know I'm going to make a dog's dinner of it. Boo.

chidona on
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I've been trying to get back into the habit of drawing every day lately.

Not sure if I am going to take this one any further, I like the female figure, but my digital painting abilities are so shoddy. I'm going to go scour through the tutorial links here and see if I can't improve. The man on his knees was meant as a placeholder and is a a mess, especially that arm, ack.

I was planning on painting her in greyscale, as though she was a statue brought alive.

Any help is very appreciated.

SA58x.jpg

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Like this?

Push yourself and try to paint with color. There's no excuses to not use color in photoshop.

DeeLock on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Totally like that. I love that story.

I actually did throw some color on it in photoshop, messing around a bit and experimenting (didn't save it though).

I've been wanting to stop being so dependent on linework, but making the transition from being all about clean lines to just painting a picture is proving difficult.

I have been trying to avoid that junky 'airbrushy' super-soft appearance, but I am not quite sure how to go about it.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    In a perfect world I'd suggest you try with some real media if you're serious about learning to paint.

Otherwise, just stay away from the soft-edged brushes and filters while you're first starting. Use hard edged brushes and have your finger hovering over the "option" key to pick up values with the eyedropper. Push and pull the values to model the form and check out some of the tutorials in the "Questions" Thread.

Painting is difficult and takes a lot of practice. Don't be afraid to just jump in and try it.

DeeLock on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I have actually painted before, watercolors, acrylic, and a class on oils. It's been a while since I did more than mess with watercolors though.

I use the option trick in photoshop, I was so happy when I found out about that haha. I'll post up something digitally painted later, it will probably be easier to tell me what I am doing wrong if I can show what I am actually doing.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I'd say fix the mans head and make his pose less stiff... I don't see any particular reason you should abandon it myself.

And I've been screwing about.

clerks___berserker_by_radar6590-d3kuxcj.jpg

"Olaf, Metal." haha

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
  • Options
    Mes3Mes3 Lurking behind your toilet Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    This was fun.

owl74.jpg

Mes3 on
    http://rjnewman.blogspot.com/ | Follow me on instagram @ messiah3x
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    SS officer. I watched Band of Brothers last night, that's why.
    ss_officer_by_emir0-d3kxnsa.png

m3nace on
  • Options
    ObilexObilex Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Radar6590 wrote: »

clerks___berserker_by_radar6590-d3kuxcj.jpg

"Olaf, Metal." haha

my new wallpaper <3

Obilex on
  • Options
    hamshams Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Still trying to get used to using a tablet. I have no real idea what I'm doing though.

tabletface.jpg

hams on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So i took theimage and added several light sources in the background and a bit more atmospheric fog etc.
    i brought a bit more of the green in the foreground and corrected the shadows of the architecture too.

ztsyz6.jpg
    previous post
    s5hgrt.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The torch lights just look like a glow, doesn't look like it's casting on anything. The big thing with atmospheric lighting is how it interacts with the objects it's cast on. Try painting the surfaces around the lights to look like the light is being cast upon them in a more lifelike fashion.

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Here's a work in progress.

dfbbvq.jpg

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2011
    ooooh, love the pallette on this one

tynic on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Also working on this:

xray_print_web1.jpg

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I feel like the white circles behind him are somehow throwing the piece off balance. Perhaps his left (our left) knee is too close to the circle, or maybe it's that only the head breaks the silhouette and nothing else. I'm not 100% sure, but something is a little off.

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Agree. They white circles are placeholders right now, although I'm yet to determine how i'll resolve that issue. :)

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    WIP Fanart doodle:

alphonse.png

Watching brotherhood right now... :D

F87 on
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Desperaterobots I will never stop luvin' you.

lyrium on
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Bored with doing concept art. Doing this right now.

AlexOrn.jpg

Fugitive on
  • Options
    --=DJ=----=DJ=-- Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    walter.jpg

--=DJ=-- on
  • Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    picturedz.png

I haven't posted anything in a while, and don't think this is sufficient to revive my thread.
    Practicing anatomy a bit, and some SWTOR (smuggler) fan art already. not finished with the fanart

I was told he looks like Jayne Cobb :P
    Jayne.jpg

edit: Can I get some feeback on the fanart? This is like my 3rd iteration on the pose, and I can't quite find a good reference for the trench coat.

ninjai on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Fugitive I like that.

Ninjai, it looks good. His torso is too short, though, and his legs are pretty wide. As for the trench, I'm not sure I can really properly advise. Maybe try to think of movies with a lot of trenchcoats and find some screenshots. Like the Matrix or something.

Digital doodling tonight.

302c9a97196428525b04a17d6df7da95-d3l58zo.png

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2011
    This guy has some trench stock, but none of a guy really booking it.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Some strange fantasy melee weapons:
    wpns1.png

F87 on
  • Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    @Frank, reminds me of Genndy Tartakovsky

ninjai on
  • Options
    LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Winter - Spent 10 minutes doing this - Maybe something to think about?
    A rather poor attempt - but adding more detail / another light in the forground and adding some more haze to the far buildings giving it more depth. I'm sure it looks better when its not in jpeg form but it seems like there is not much depth in your drawing

wck.jpg

Leggraphics on
This discussion has been closed.