As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Photo-Graphy, it's pretty neat. (NSF56k)

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I concur.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    Utah looks like an alien landscape... Wow.

Anyway, my dad has an exhibition coming up at a small gallery, and while visiting him he decided to see if the talent was genetic:
    y3IA8.jpg

ewznI.jpg

And the answer is "I need a camera attached to something other than a cheapass phone"

He was very nice about telling me this, at least

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    ninesecondsleftninesecondsleft AB, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Sort of photography related, hope it's alright to post here. Used my 5DII to film some of the artwork and statues at BlizzCon to show my friends what they missed. Not the best filming or editing, but it's done haha.

~gogo 3DS!
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    Just took it this morning and figured this thread could use some activity.

6390174527_cc6e897dd8_b.jpg

Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I approve.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Sort of photography related, hope it's alright to post here. Used my 5DII to film some of the artwork and statues at BlizzCon to show my friends what they missed. Not the best filming or editing, but it's done haha.

Excellent choice in music! Also, make yourself a steadicam - http://14dollarstabilizer.org/ That really does work.

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    I definitely approve, odium. I really need to photograph more. Might bring my camera to thanksgiving tomorrow

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    Gah, I wish I were the least bit good at photography. Eventually I'll be out of debt and I will get equipment.

Basically was Facetious said way back earlier in the thread.

All of your pictures are beautiful, forum people.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    brought all my camera shit home for thanksgiving, my 35mm, too. Gonna take pictures tomorrow but more importantly at ungodly hours on friday in and around various shopping locales.

• Options
    gazamcgazamc Registered User regular
    Anyone got a recommendation for a good compact camera to put in my pocket when I dont want to lug around my kit.

I really really want the new Fuji X10. Its a stunner and looks feature packed. But I really want something smallish and pocketable.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Yes I am seconding the G12 with both phones.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    I do love the G12 and G11. They sound spectacular. I havent seen one in the flesh and by picture they look quite bulky. Are they manageable and comfortable to carry in pocket?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Not in a pair of jeans, no.

• Options
    Oh. Pocket. All I saw was g12 and had to recommend it. I have no idea re: slim cameras.

• Options
    Anyone have experience with an Olympus XZ-1. Its pretty stylish and slim. Packs some good features too.

I mean I dont need it to bee super slim. Slip in a decent pocket comfortably. Basically my SLR needs a bag with lenses and flashes. I would like to have an 'everyday' camera. Ill definitely head into town and handle a G12 and see what I think. Thanks for the nudge in that direction

• Options
    ElwoodElwood Registered User regular
    387876_568475878380_75902073_31784371_847233462_n.jpg

jc_rands3.gif
  • Options
    Uncle_BalsamicUncle_Balsamic Registered User regular
    Just got a camera to play with, so some photos:
    6341586657_cafe8724ae_z.jpg
    6344754425_9002731d6c_z.jpg

As of yet nothing very interesting, just trying to figure out how to work this thing :)

2LmjIWB.png
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    So I'm really sad for my dear friend who got "married" over Thanksgiving weekend.

This photo is one I took while we were getting ready. I captured it on an iPhone 4:
    mhd85.jpg

And it's far better than all of the official photographs. :( She hired a friend of hers to photograph the event, and almost 100% of his photos were too dark or blurry. Gotta be careful hiring friends to photograph your event :P

Fortunately, it was the third of three "weddings", as she and her husband hosted three separate events around the country for friends/family living in distant geographical locations.

ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    VoproSTEINVoproSTEIN howdyRegistered User regular
    I went to do an interview with a group who's participating in a local 48 hour film festival. Because I forgot my mic battery, I just took some photos of them. At least I was able to test out my new Sigma 30mm!

These are my favorite two.

qlh9X.jpgloZBC.jpg

• Options
    Those are fun!

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    VoproSTEINVoproSTEIN howdyRegistered User regular
    Most of my pictures are over exposed because the stock lens is f/3.5-5.6, and the Sigma is f1.4

But thanks! :D

• Options
    tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    im not sure how related it is but i work as a photo tech for a retail company

and BOY some people are so hilariously bad at taking pictures.

And dont get me started on people that dont understand cropping and how 8x10 is a different shape than a 4x6

or how you just cant blow up that 640x480 picture you took on your GOphone to a 24x36

• Options
    Tugga, I feel your pain.

Me: "Hey, I need you to send me a higher resolution image of your logo for that print ad."
    Him: "I already sent it."
    Me: "No, I need print quality."
    Him: "It looks fine to me."
    Me: "Yeah but it won't look-- you know what. Do you have the original file of you logo? Like an eps or ai maybe? Even a really big jpg?"
    Him: "What? My nephew created our logo when I was first making my website. That's the only file he gave me."
    Me: *Breaks open cyanide capsule hidden in false tooth and welcomes the sweet release of death.*

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Margarazzi wrote:
    Tugga, I feel your pain.

Me: "Hey, I need you to send me a higher resolution image of your logo for that print ad."
    Him: "I already sent it."
    Me: "No, I need print quality."
    Him: "It looks fine to me."
    Me: "Yeah but it won't look-- you know what. Do you have the original file of you logo? Like an eps or ai maybe? Even a really big jpg?"
    Him: "What? My nephew created our logo when I was first making my website. That's the only file he gave me."
    Me: *Breaks open cyanide capsule hidden in false tooth and welcomes the sweet release of death.*

yeah, I've just given up

I just re-trace everything now

especially when my boss starts talking about saving jpg files in 300 dpi mode

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i havent been in this thread in a while

now that i have a 4s i do take more photos because i take lots of photos with my phone

going to japan during cherry blossom season tho, that'll be boss

poo
  • Options
    Posted these in the cat thread but hey photography thread.

393651_10101195662878869_6855431_70363669_1697149772_n.jpg

385829_10101195655852949_6855431_70363641_1252851547_n.jpg

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Also this one

tumblr_lw44rvSWqb1qebaylo1_500.jpg

Artreus on
  • Options
    .. can't figure out how to link to the larger version of the colors one

• Options
    epburnepburn Registered User regular
    What's up dead thread?

6490320361_087f122675.jpg
    Armadillo

6528562493_eb5dc65750.jpg
    tufted titmouse

• Options
    That is a good tit

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My girlfriend got me a 50mm prime for Christmas.

Which is awesome.

zTUDY.jpg

2Uzwm.jpg

Artreus on
  • Options
    Ipkjf.jpg

• Options
    Wedge BiggsWedge Biggs Registered User regular
    Elwood wrote:
    387876_568475878380_75902073_31784371_847233462_n.jpg

That goddamned mustache. Yes.

I ain't never crossed a man who didn't deserve it. - Artis Ivey Jr.
  • Options
    SufHU.jpg

cyema.jpg

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    So a friend of mine took this photo this morning

377141_545483446828_218700630_31629036_630157565_n.jpg
    Comet C/2011 W3 "Lovejoy" rises above the horizon near the Milky Way just before dawn on Christmas Day, 2011.

The Southern Cross constellation, the two Pointers, and the Coalsack Nebula can be seen left of centre, while the Eta Carina Nebula is directly above centre. The Large Magellanic Cloud galaxy can be seen to the right of centre, and the Small Magellanic Cloud galaxy is directly below it.

Technical details: 2x 301 second exposures using a Canon 5DmkII with Canon 14 mm f/2.8L lens at f/4 ISO 800 on an Astrotrac equatorial mount.

I skipped Christmas Eve with the family, drove six hours west, set up my cameras and tracking mount and waited for five hours, drove seven hours east back home (including nap time)... all to get this one photo.

Gotta hand it to the guy's tenacity!

• Options
    LustyDLustyD Registered User regular
  • Options
    LustyDLustyD Registered User regular
    5225832352_d3ab5bfcdd.jpg
    IMG_0015E by wetzel_ross, on Flickr

• Options
    epburnepburn Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote:
    So a friend of mine took this photo this morning

377141_545483446828_218700630_31629036_630157565_n.jpg
    Comet C/2011 W3 "Lovejoy" rises above the horizon near the Milky Way just before dawn on Christmas Day, 2011.

The Southern Cross constellation, the two Pointers, and the Coalsack Nebula can be seen left of centre, while the Eta Carina Nebula is directly above centre. The Large Magellanic Cloud galaxy can be seen to the right of centre, and the Small Magellanic Cloud galaxy is directly below it.

Technical details: 2x 301 second exposures using a Canon 5DmkII with Canon 14 mm f/2.8L lens at f/4 ISO 800 on an Astrotrac equatorial mount.

I skipped Christmas Eve with the family, drove six hours west, set up my cameras and tracking mount and waited for five hours, drove seven hours east back home (including nap time)... all to get this one photo.

Gotta hand it to the guy's tenacity!

Tracking mount seems like such a fun toy. All his traveling paid off.