As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WARMACHINE & HORDES] Now with even GIANTEST robots

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Imma buy the shit out of War Room once I confirm it will work on both my iPad and my Android phone.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    It should. You register an account that retains all of your purchase info.

• Options
    Son of MakutaSon of Makuta Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    By no means am I saying Telekinesis is a bad spell. I am saying that if you have a lot of guns you can probably just shoot the screening model out of the way and then open fire on the warcaster. And if you hadn't taken that Lancer you have six extra points to spend on more guns. Scaverous is a very different beast, since he gets four point arc nodes and his feat benefits TK spam, whereas eHaley's feat renders it pointless.

I dunno, actually. What if it's a heavy warjack? They're a lot harder to kill than they are to telekinesise or whatever the word would be. You'd be better off putting those guns into other things (i.e. the warcaster), I'd have thought.

• Options
    By no means am I saying Telekinesis is a bad spell. I am saying that if you have a lot of guns you can probably just shoot the screening model out of the way and then open fire on the warcaster. And if you hadn't taken that Lancer you have six extra points to spend on more guns. Scaverous is a very different beast, since he gets four point arc nodes and his feat benefits TK spam, whereas eHaley's feat renders it pointless.

I dunno, actually. What if it's a heavy warjack? They're a lot harder to kill than they are to telekinesise or whatever the word would be. You'd be better off putting those guns into other things (i.e. the warcaster), I'd have thought.

Well, then you can charge one of your own models in the back and get a Telekinesis off with 17" of threat.

Again, none of this is about viable uses of TK; it's about the necessity of a six point Lancer. "Screened by warlocks" is one of the rarest things that blocks a kill for me. Usually it's "camping all the focus" "too fucking far away" or "behind a building/forest/wall."

• Options
    susansusan Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    31093_Nemo_FinchWEB.jpg
    Sebastian Nemo’s myriad innovations—from the storm chamber to the modern colossal—have given Cygnar a crucial technological edge over its enemies. Promoted to the rank of Artificer General, Nemo now holds authority over all Cygnar’s military industry, and he wields his nation’s most advanced weaponry. Nemo’s assistant, Storm Chaser Adept Caitlin Finch, takes to the battlefield at his side, utilizing precisely tuned mechanikal apparatus to augment Nemo’s command over warjacks to unparalleled mastery.

Base Size: 30mm
    PIP Code: 31039
    Price: $21.99*
    Model Count: 2
    Packaging: Blister
    *Product information and prices subject to change

susan on
    2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
  • Options
    Yes indeed.

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Oh, sick. Those are sweet miniatures. Also - hey Cygnar! You just got a caster that probably can't use the Squire!

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I was wondering where that boner came from.

This is something that I want. Nemo was the warcaster that got me into Warmachine, and I'm really tempted to go back to the blue & gold now.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Oh, sick. Those are sweet miniatures. Also - hey Cygnar! You just got a caster that probably can't use the Squire!

That's fine. He'll be FOCUS7+3 as long as Finch is alive.

• Options

That's fine. He'll be FOCUS7+3 as long as Finch is alive.

Haaaaaaate. In your direction. Harbinger's the only one allowed to have 10 Focus!

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Calling it now:

Friendly models in his control area can ignore Immunity: Electricity on enemy models.

RIDE THE LIGHTNING!

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Calling it now:

Friendly models in his control area can ignore Immunity: Electricity on enemy models.

RIDE THE LIGHTNING!

el-oh-el

Nemo3: the ideal anti-Cygnar Cygnar caster.

• Options
    heh, I was honestly thinking of shit with elemental protection like the Druids. But yeah, I guess that could work too.

Let's toss in a "effects that cause Disruption affect warbeasts as well. While Tazered, Warbeasts cannot force or be forced."

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    The whole thing with managing focus for jacks, armor, and spells is nifty and all, but it sucks that 90% of the time you're giving minimal focus to jacks and sitting on the rest.

This is why I like running Rahn+Hydras or Harbs+Avatar, just cast crazy shit all day and give no fucks.

Yeah, as someone who is new and still learning the game its actually a gigantic disappointment. Like, when you are first getting into the game it seems like the entire focus are around this awesome walking steam powered robots beating the crap out of each other, which sounds awesome. But as you learn more about the game, (especially if you are like my brother who got the Cryx start box, so he is running Denegra), it's like, "yeah you should only field a couple of jacks because focus is so important, take a lot of infantry and solos instead."

Huge letdown.

• Options
    I know that a lot of people feel that way, but tactically I find the heavy emphasis on combined arms to be way more interesting.

• Options
    Or take casters that specifically run well with lots of jacks. Every faction has at least a couple. Or play Hordes, and swing to the opposite side of the spectrum.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Or take casters that specifically run well with lots of jacks. Every faction has at least a couple. Or play Hordes, and swing to the opposite side of the spectrum.

Which works because, imo, beasts are inherently more interesting than 'jacks due to more ability variety and animi.

I find Cygnar 'jack lists (except Kraye) to be super dull, while Circle beast lists are awesome.

admanb on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I know that a lot of people feel that way, but tactically I find the heavy emphasis on combined arms to be way more interesting.

I certainly think that Warmachine (in my early estimation of it) seems to be a very tactically rich and interesting game. And the combined arms aspect of it is very awesome. It's mostly that my initial assumptions about the game, based on how the game was presented to me, didn't gel with the actual reality of the game. Now that I've adjusted my perspective to match how the game actually is, yeah, I still think it's pretty rad (though part of me wishes I had gone with a horde faction because the beasts seem a little more integral due to the way fury and animi work).

There was just a gap between the presentation and the reality of the game that I found initially jarring. My last post came off a little more negatively worded than I meant, I still like the game over all.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Less exciting than the last pic (kinda), but still pretty cool:

image1.jpg

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Wait...is War Room an army list app, or an app that will let me play games of Warmachine online with people? If you read the FAQ, it appears to be both?

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Wait...is War Room an army list app, or an app that will let me play games of Warmachine online with people? If you read the FAQ, it appears to be both?

It's an army list app that is tied to a central server (much like a central server for a video game) through which you can create multi-person "games" that will allow you to share your lists and cards, which includes the current state of damage taken and so on.

• Options
    I'm actually impressed the Colossal has so few pieces! Relatively speaking.

And War Room is an army list app, that also (for a cost) contains the cards for all the models in a faction. Hence you can use it during the game as an aid, instead of carrying around your cards. I think you're also supposed to be able to mark damage on them too. It won't replace the game itself, but it will aid it.

• Options
    Speaking of the Colossal... How difficult/dangerous d'ya think it'd be to modify it with one of these:

http://youtu.be/cU0sLf5okZ0

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »

I certainly think that Warmachine (in my early estimation of it) seems to be a very tactically rich and interesting game. And the combined arms aspect of it is very awesome. It's mostly that my initial assumptions about the game, based on how the game was presented to me, didn't gel with the actual reality of the game. Now that I've adjusted my perspective to match how the game actually is, yeah, I still think it's pretty rad (though part of me wishes I had gone with a horde faction because the beasts seem a little more integral due to the way fury and animi work).

There was just a gap between the presentation and the reality of the game that I found initially jarring. My last post came off a little more negatively worded than I meant, I still like the game over all.

This is understandable! Lots of the promo material for WM talks about "giant engines of war" "metal machines crashing against each other" etc. and the starter boxes are all caster and jacks! And then you start playing games and it quickly shows that WM at least does not scale well when it comes to warjacks and that you need infantry to mostly be competitive.

• Options
    I think that's a common dissonance. My experience was similar, but different.

Battlebox game: These robots and warcasters are awesome! But this game is kind of dull.

25 point combined arms game: This game is fucking fantastic.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Hmm...I wish there was a way for people that have already given PP cash for faction decks and models could enter a UPC and automatically unlock their cards in War Room...but I guess 15 bucks for my Cygnar and Mercnaries decks to use with what sounds like really awesome software is worth it.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Especially since the unlock is in perpetuity - as long as you paid the upfront cost, you automatically get all the cards for your faction each time they come out with a new expansion.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Yeah, but no matter the benefits, most people don't like to essentially spend money on the same thing twice. Not that I'm not going to do it, I'm just going to mildly complain about it once and then not care after that.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    General NemoGeneral Nemo The Mighty Shame Church for DogsRegistered User regular
    I am pretty stoked for War Room. Now we just need to get Whicken to convert iBodger into a Warmachine/Hordes hobby management app and I will be satisfied.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    I'm pretty sure he's done with iBodger, since War Room was announced.

e: Actually, according to his website, Privateer specifically asked him to stop development :P That's actually kind of crappy, since he doesn't publish any copyrighted information like stats in his app, I'm pretty sure. It's nice of him I guess to comply, but I don't think he has to. I don't see Privateer going after the Army Builder guy, who actually lets uses publish complete stat data for his app for Warmachine and Hordes.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Army Builder is the devil. Battlescribe! FIGHT THE POWER!

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    General NemoGeneral Nemo The Mighty Shame Church for DogsRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure he's done with iBodger, since War Room was announced.

e: Actually, according to his website, Privateer specifically asked him to stop development :P That's actually kind of crappy, since he doesn't publish any copyrighted information like stats in his app, I'm pretty sure. It's nice of him I guess to comply, but I don't think he has to. I don't see Privateer going after the Army Builder guy, who actually lets uses publish complete stat data for his app for Warmachine and Hordes.
    Nah, he uses their IP so he has to stop. Interesting point about Army Builder, though. Maybe they don't have to since it's a different medium (PC versus iOS/Android App) and they're not worried about it?

• Options
    Even more specifically, whicken was very clear that iBodger was made only because he had full permission from PP. As for Army Builder, (a) it's a completely different medium that will have very little effect on War Room sales, and (b) we don't know that PP hasn't gone after them.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Didn't see this posted yet...

The ranks of the legionnaires are a weapon wielded by one hand—that of Farilor, Bladeguard of the Prophet. He directs their every strike for the glory of Thagrosh, and the obedient legionnaires follow with unflinching discipline. So great is their devotion to Captain Farilor, legionnaires can ignore the most grievous wounds and punishing blows in order to hold the line beneath the Legion’s standard.
    73063_FarilorandStandardWEB_0.jpg

• Options
    edited March 2012
    It's been ages since I've ever looked at That Other Program, but I'd swear that they don't create themselves the data for the game, they just have the framework and the community puts together a specific database of the stuff for a game, and they just link it.

Hence why the old lawsuit from Lone Wolf to PP was lulzworthy. And why I'd never buy a product from them, even if Tournament Ace looks amazingly handy.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    And I seriously don't think for a second that their trademark on "Army Builder" would stand up in court if any of the big companies actually challenged them on it. It's just there to bully smaller outfits like Forward Kommander, etc.

• Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I think that's a common dissonance. My experience was similar, but different.

Battlebox game: These robots and warcasters are awesome! But this game is kind of dull.

25 point combined arms game: This game is fucking fantastic.

I think one of my biggest issues with the dichotomy between focus and fury has go to do with how much it hurts cygnar/retribution light jacks (and even some menoth ones). I'd love to be able to take a single heavy with 2-3 light 'jacks for the same cost as 2 heavies but lights require just as much of a resource investment as heavies without anywhere near the same return in a lot of cases. Mostly I'm speaking of a Cygnar perspective here though so of course I'm required to complain.

:bz

SJ on
  • Options
    Khade97Khade97 PE10, UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    So, after being away from wargaming for many many years (and coming from a 40K background) I was browsing a few sites last night any my wife decided that Khador Warjacks look "pretty cute". She even seemed interested in learning to play!

Fast forward to today and I have just placed an bit of an impulse order for the "Warmachine Two Player Battle Box" and an "Army Painter Mega Paint Set" (as well as a few extras) - am I going to regret this?

Khade97 on
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    For what you get in that 2 player set, you certainly get your money's worth. If you add up how much it would cost to get all that stuff separately, I think you are pretty much getting the Units and maybe a Jack for free (the PoM starter set on it's own is 2 light Jacks and one heavy Jack, while in that 2 player boxed set, it's 2 heavy and one light Jack so it's hard to do a direct comparison).

Then there is the small rulebook which only comes with that starter set, which saves you buying the big Prime book.

It's also quite alot of stuff to paint.

If you wanted to find something negative about the set, then I suppose you could make a comment on the actual units you are getting. Cinerators probably aren't one of the better choices for that faction and the same could be said for the Men O'War to a slightly lesser extent, but as I said earlier, you're effectively getting those units for free anyway and I honestly doubt you'll care that those units are not the optimal choice when you're playing friendly games with your wife.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2012
    The two-player battle box is about $200 worth of stuff if you bought it separately. It's a great introduction to the game and has enough miniatures to be a good base for your collection.

It's true that Cinerators aren't the best unit, but that's not really important right now. One of the great things about this game is nearly every unit has a place in the right list.

Honestly, Warmachine is the most fun I've had with toy soldiers. The rules really fit the atmosphere of the setting and aren't so complicated that you can't pick up and play.

Welcome back to the hobby!

Vanguard on