As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

emergency [chat]

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2011
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    wiccan is the lamest religion

i would make fun of wiccans. it's convenient because i would already be making fun of the ren-faire people.

Eh, return to the past and worship nature people are no more lame than any other religious faith. Now, if they joined because they liked Buffy, then I think you've got the go ahead.

in theory, they're no worse

in practice, they're easily the lamest

man I am totally leaving you out of my latest round of Blessed Be crocheted samplers :x

InterlacedPentagramJS6.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1276022260851

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    My friends mom was a UU and dad was a Catholic. His dad called the UU church the crazy church where they sacrificed chickens.

My grandmother got shit from her dad for marrying a Catholic (she was an Anglican and converted). My mom got shit from her dad for marrying a black guy (she was white and got a tan). I need to step it up a notch, but what's taboo anymore?

Marry a horse?

Cinders on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    DoctorArch wrote: »

i would make fun of wiccans. it's convenient because i would already be making fun of the ren-faire people.

I think it depends on the person. I knew a wiccan who was the sweetest and most genuine person I had ever met. I have also met wiccans who do it because it's cool and they want to be anti-culture. Admittedly, trying to be anti-culture in Eugene Oregon where anti-culture is the culture is a meta trip I don't want to take.

i had a roommate who was a wiccan for a while. she was a dumb 20-year-old fat girl with a sunny disposition. she had a pink cloak and a ren-faire dagger that she talked about but wouldn't wear them around me because she was afraid i would make fun of her (she was right). sometimes she would talk about putting a hex or a charm on people and, like, herbalism.

it was super-lame.

Some Vampire LARPers that I played M:tG with talked about/wore the same shit. I think all the lameness just kind of ends up in roughly the same place.

I mean, have you seen how Muammar al-Gaddafi dresses?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

I think it depends on the person. I knew a wiccan who was the sweetest and most genuine person I had ever met. I have also met wiccans who do it because it's cool and they want to be anti-culture. Admittedly, trying to be anti-culture in Eugene Oregon where anti-culture is the culture is a meta trip I don't want to take.

i had a roommate who was a wiccan for a while. she was a dumb 20-year-old fat girl with a sunny disposition. she had a pink cloak and a ren-faire dagger that she talked about but wouldn't wear them around me because she was afraid i would make fun of her (she was right). sometimes she would talk about putting a hex or a charm on people and, like, herbalism.

it was super-lame.

People who think magic is a real thing that they can do, and sincere attempt to do charms or alteration spells are pretty horrible people.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Elendil wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Also, I'm heading out to NYC in July, bitches.

Who wants to hang out?
    I don't think my cat can make it
    D:

Nevermind, then. :(

Thanatos on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My friends mom was a UU and dad was a Catholic. His dad called the UU church the crazy church where they sacrificed chickens.

My grandmother got shit from her dad for marrying a Catholic (she was an Anglican and converted). My mom got shit from her dad for marrying a black guy (she was white and got a tan). I need to step it up a notch, but what's taboo anymore?

Clearly you need to marry a dude

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

it was super-lame.

This is pretty much my experience, having been friends with people who have self-identified as Wiccans. It's a generic "alternative" thing like getting a facial piercing or a hip tattoo or a utilikilt. Nobody it ever in it because "hey, this is a thing that makes sense."

This also explains the enormous market behind it, because "alternative" sorts tend to spend ungodly amounts of money on buying their identity.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2011

manpillow__oPt.jpg

your parents will be super-disappointed

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

Would your dad get mad at you for marrying a dude?

If not, you'll have to wait till we make contact with alien life. Or try marrying a dolphin or something.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

it was super-lame.

People who think magic is a real thing that they can do, and sincere attempt to do charms or alteration spells are pretty horrible people.

Usually I'd reserve that descriptor for someone like Fred Phelps. Doing magic is no different than praying.

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Klan member.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    by that, i mean marrying a korean man

it is the last taboo

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Cinders wrote: »

Marry a horse?

What if she turns out to be a broom?

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm not getting married at all. Ever. My girlfriend seems okay with this, but my mum is raging over it.

"I WANT GRANDCHILDREN!" she yelled at me over the phone.
    "My sister - your daughter - is six months pregnant," I retorted.
    "That doesn't count!" yelled mum, which is immediately followed by a "Heeyyyyyy :(" in the background. Apparently my sister overheard.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    well i just found out that a guy i had really connected with back in high school died last year, of cancer

he was 25

fuck.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    that would be rad if a thanatos meetup actually did involve everyone bringing their cats

and then than ignored all the humans

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    it looks like someone put pillow-chan into that wedding dress upside down.

whoops!

still, it looks like it was a lovely ceremony. i wonder if he got a wiccan to perform the service.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011

it was super-lame.

This is pretty much my experience, having been friends with people who have self-identified as Wiccans. It's a generic "alternative" thing like getting a facial piercing or a hip tattoo or a utilikilt. Nobody it ever in it because "hey, this is a thing that makes sense."

This also explains the enormous market behind it, because "alternative" sorts tend to spend ungodly amounts of money on buying their identity.

I tend to assume they buy most of their shit at places that sell crystals and bullshit (in my hometown this place was called "Higher Self"), the local head shop, and Hot Topic.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    by that, i mean marrying a korean man

it is the last taboo
    Korean MMOer, Will.

But I'm just repeating you.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Elldren wrote: »

That might just finally convince my mom I go both ways. :O

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    that would be rad if a thanatos meetup actually did involve everyone bringing their cats

Let's be honest, Jacob: your cats are much cooler than you are.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm not getting married at all. Ever. My girlfriend seems okay with this, but my mum is raging over it.

"I WANT GRANDCHILDREN!" she yelled at me over the phone.
    "My sister - your daughter - is six months pregnant," I retorted.
    "That doesn't count!" yelled mum, which is immediately followed by a "Heeyyyyyy :(" in the background. Apparently my sister overheard.

And marriage is not a prerequisite for pregnancy

TL DR on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Zampanov wrote: »
    If not, you'll have to wait till we make contact with alien life. Or try marrying a dolphin or something.

Fluffy marrying a dolphin, but the parents meet the dolphin and discover the dolphin has a solid, respectable job. By the end of the evening, the mom is sharing recipes with the dolphin and the dad is shaking the dolphin's fin and saying, "We have faith that you'll take good care of our son, and, well ... welcome to the family!"

Fluffy all dejected because WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO SHOCK A FAMILY THESE DAYS

desc on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Guys, anyone can do magic because friendship is magic

Winky on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Mormons still kind of take the cake with me. Seriously. They are the worlds largest and fastest spreading cult.

Mormonism's appeal is that it is easy.

And it has special underwear. Can't forget the special underwear. But I wouldn't say it is easy. I guess since I grew up surrounded by it. These people get forced into marriages, have to do their proselytizing period and such. I still think the general American protestantism which you just have to accept Jesus to be saved and so forth is the easy one.

Here's how it's easy: You know how in most religions, even the fairly top-down ones like Catholicism, you are often asking questions of yourself and your relationship to God. Sure you often can seek counsel regarding those interpretations, e.g. through a priest, but in the end, a lot of the questions and the answers come through your own struggles. Ironically, this is why religious people become atheists and agnostics, because they question and come to the conclusion that what they are told doesn't always mesh with what they experience. I remember when I was religious, I posed a lot of questions to God. On retrospect, I never got an answer, but I was always asking him/myself what should I do in any given situation. It was hard, challenging, and in a way, it supports the Christian notions of struggle and perseverance.

Now, while proponents will claim that Mormonism is difficult for a number of reasons, such as no drinking, "required" tithing, discrimination, etc., the truth is that while those are admittedly annoying, being a practicing Mormon does not require much in the way of actual thought.

When you are a Mormon, every answer to every question is provided to you. Who should you marry? A returning Mormon missionary. How many kids should you have? As many as you can. Why shouldn't I drink? Because we say so. Why should I follow the prophet? Because we say so. What if I have a difference of opinion? You can, but you're wrong, because we say so.

When I was young and stupid I allowed the church into my life for many, many years. There is a reason why the stereotypes of the homogeneous Mormons exist, and that's because there are very specific patterns and you are expected to follow those patterns without questioning them. The entire theology is set up to instruct people how to behave, and to expect them to follow that instruction without question. That is why it's easy, because you don't have to think to be a Mormon. You just have to follow. And in an increasingly complex world, I can see why that is alluring to people.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    well i just found out that a guy i had really connected with back in high school died last year, of cancer

he was 25

fuck.

One of my best friends in HS died unexpectedly the year after graduation of a heart condition that no one knew about in a pool.

I felt kind of the same way.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

whoops!

still, it looks like it was a lovely ceremony. i wonder if he got a wiccan to perform the service.

I wonder if there's a "animate object" spell in Wicca

bring pillow-chan to life Sorcerer's Apprentice style.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    oh james marsden

so dreamy, with such an asshole agent

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Elldren wrote: »

That might just finally convince my mom I go both ways. :O
    I've always wanted to be Canadian, Fluffy.

Just sayin'. :winky:

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

it was super-lame.

Usually I'd reserve that descriptor for someone like Fred Phelps. Doing magic is no different than praying.

Let's take love spells for example. A love spell involves making someone who felt one way feel a different way at the whim of the spellcaster. The spellcaster is, effectively, altering a person's mind to fit their wants. This is (depending on the ritual involved) harmless in practice, but the intent behind it is pretty fucked up. Someone who believes they are capable of what is essentially mind control, actively attempting to make people do what they want without that person's consent is a despicable human being.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited April 2011

you only say that because you haven't heard their awful taste in music

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I've been going to a protestant Korean church for the past four months or so. It sounds kind of like Mormonism.

They tell really funny jokes though.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J---aiyznGQ

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

whoops!

I wonder if there's a "animate object" spell in Wicca

bring pillow-chan to life Sorcerer's Apprentice style.

pillo-gmilian

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dr. Arch you make Mormonism sound like the Qun.

Winky on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

he was 25

fuck.

One of my best friends in HS died unexpectedly the year after graduation of a heart condition that no one knew about in a pool.

I felt kind of the same way.

This came up in the bullying thread, but I had found out a year or two ago that a bully who tormented me in middle school was shot, and my first response was "Did he die?"

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You can get the keyboard cat song on iTunes now?

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    oh james marsden

so dreamy, with such an asshole agent

Makes you wonder what he did to piss the guy off.

"Okay, let's see: allowed his character in a high paying franchise to be killed off, put him in Sex Drive. How do I mess with this guy next? Oh, what's this? Hop? Hahaha, yessss, fuck you Marsden fuck you in your handsome ass!"

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I've been going to a protestant Korean church for the past four months or so. It sounds kind of like Mormonism.

They tell really funny jokes though.

how did this happen?

like, the last thing i remember you were a really dedicated atheist

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J---aiyznGQ

this is the loneliest video ever recorded

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
This discussion has been closed.