As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

emergency [chat]

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm not getting married at all. Ever. My girlfriend seems okay with this, but my mum is raging over it.

"I WANT GRANDCHILDREN!" she yelled at me over the phone.
    "My sister - your daughter - is six months pregnant," I retorted.
    "That doesn't count!" yelled mum, which is immediately followed by a "Heeyyyyyy :(" in the background. Apparently my sister overheard.

I'm glad my sister has had 3 kids cause my family doesn't care that I don't want any.

Cinders on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2011
    say what you will about mormonism being a really scary church with silly beliefs, mormons are almost always really polite and considerate people.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    that would be rad if a thanatos meetup actually did involve everyone bringing their cats

and then than ignored all the humans
    Let's be honest, Jacob: your cats are much cooler than you are.

you only say that because you haven't heard their awful taste in music
    you only say that because you haven't heard than's awful taste in music

Elendil on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Irond Will wrote: »
    say what you will about mormonism being a really scary church with silly beliefs, mormons are almost always really polite and considerate people.

=/

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    well i just found out that a guy i had really connected with back in high school died last year, of cancer

he was 25

fuck.
    One of my best friends in HS died unexpectedly the year after graduation of a heart condition that no one knew about in a pool.

I felt kind of the same way.
    This came up in the bullying thread, but I had found out a year or two ago that a bully who tormented me in middle school was shot, and my first response was "Did he die?"
    I found out that my fifth-grade teacher who was a complete fucking cunt died of cancer a few years ago, and my reaction was "couldn't have happened to a more deserving person."

Terrible people really do deserve to die. It's a shame it doesn't happen more often. To be fair, though, I think pretty much everybody is a terrible person in Middle School.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Cinders wrote: »
    I'm not getting married at all. Ever. My girlfriend seems okay with this, but my mum is raging over it.

"That doesn't count!" yelled mum, which is immediately followed by a "Heeyyyyyy :(" in the background. Apparently my sister overheard.

I'm glad my sister has had 3 kids cause my family doesn't care that I don't want any.

My mum has since clarified that children born out of wedlock "don't count", and as my sister isn't married her incoming spawn will effectively be a limbo-child.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Guys, what would you say if I told you that I could show you a performance of Friday by Stephen Colbert with The Roots? You'd say "That's crazy!", right?

TL DR on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    WMain00 wrote: »
    WMain00 wrote: »
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    have you ever had to move? physical books greatly lose their charm when you've moved 3 times in 4 years and they compose 80% by weight of your possessions.

I mean, I really love them. I love reading, looking at them, keeping them in great shape, etc. I kind of have a collector's mentality. But I'm ready to move on for practical reasons. The amount of space they consume is ridiculous, and as I mentioned previously, they're a bitch to move.
    I definitely, once I have the werewithal, am planning to ditch all of my library that can be gotten on ereader except for the really important physical objects like the hardcover first editions and the signed copies and so forth.
    When I moved to Seattle, I got rid of all but a couple of my books.

Best idea I ever had. Seriously, it's so awesome not having all that crap; you won't read 95% of them ever again, so they're just taking up way too much room. Get rid of all the books you can.
    Hell. Why not burn them?
    Because the public library got a lot more use out of them?

Naaaahh. Nobody goes to those places.

Just put them on a big ol' fire.

do you have a point or are you trolling

I did have a point! But I'm a bit busy at the moment. I'll cover it some other time.

TLDR of it basically is that i'm a bit of a technophobe when it comes to the like of kindle etc.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    As long as you're white, you can say the same thing about Southerners.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

My mum has since clarified that children born out of wedlock "don't count", and as my sister isn't married her incoming spawn will effectively be a limbo-child.

That makes it easy then, since you can tell her that her expectations are founded in lunacy and you're not obligated to cater to them.

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Aren't you English, Squirm?

Isn't your mother supposed to believe in the church like one believes in their Sunday morning book club?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Oh I know they are, but do you think they would have had nearly the success at supporting Proposition 8 in California if they weren't polite and considerate?

Than, great analogy btw.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2011
    As long as you're white, you can say the same thing about Southerners.

their tendency to politeness is the best thing about southerners

actually, a lot of my mom's southern family are pretty racist by my standards but are still polite to black or brown people.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    hi chat i don't come here often but i'm really curious

If you could have any song of the past 50 years as your wedding march, what would it be?

this is mine

WeedLordVegeta on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I've been going to a protestant Korean church for the past four months or so. It sounds kind of like Mormonism.

They tell really funny jokes though.

how did this happen?

like, the last thing i remember you were a really dedicated atheist

Sociological curiosity. They lured me in with a turkey dinner on Thanksgiving.

It's not really for me. I thought there'd be like, religious and moral discussions like at the old Christian coffee shop I used to hang out at in the US. They don't really, uh, discuss much. You basically say "amen" to whatever the guy at the front of the room says, and put your hands in the air when the music starts, which is about when I start remembering Lord Acton quotes.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Oh I know they are, but do you think they would have had nearly the success at supporting Proposition 8 in California if they weren't polite and considerate?

Than, great analogy btw.

i don't really know. it doesn't off-hand strike me that politeness is the central key to getting conservative referenda passed.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    well i just found out that a guy i had really connected with back in high school died last year, of cancer

he was 25

fuck.
    One of my best friends in HS died unexpectedly the year after graduation of a heart condition that no one knew about in a pool.

This came up in the bullying thread, but I had found out a year or two ago that a bully who tormented me in middle school was shot, and my first response was "Did he die?"
    I found out that my fifth-grade teacher who was a complete fucking cunt died of cancer a few years ago, and my reaction was "couldn't have happened to a more deserving person."

Terrible people really do deserve to die. It's a shame it doesn't happen more often. To be fair, though, I think pretty much everybody is a terrible person in Middle School.

Eh, I wish everyone a happy life. Hitler, Phelps, I don't discriminate. If Hitler died happy, I would be happier.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    Elendil wrote: »
    that would be rad if a thanatos meetup actually did involve everyone bringing their cats

and then than ignored all the humans
    Let's be honest, Jacob: your cats are much cooler than you are.

you only say that because you haven't heard their awful taste in music
    you only say that because you haven't heard than's awful taste in music

zing

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Hullis wrote: »

If you could have any song of the past 50 years as your wedding march, what would it be?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2LRROpph0

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My life is so great example: The hardest decision I have to make today is when to take a bus ride into town to pick up a DVD I purchased through Amazon that was sent to my old apartment.

8-)

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Than, great analogy btw.

i don't really know. it doesn't off-hand strike me that politeness is the central key to getting conservative referenda passed.

To quote George Carlin: "when fascism comes to America, it will not be in brown and black shirts. It will not be with jackboots. It will be Nike sneakers and smiley shirts. Smiley-smiley."

DoctorArch on
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

Isn't your mother supposed to believe in the church like one believes in their Sunday morning book club?

My mother is Pagan, so in theory marriage should mean bugger-all to her.

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Than, great analogy btw.

To quote George Carlin: "when fascism comes to America, it will not be in brown and black shirts. It will not be with jackboots. It will be Nike sneakers and smiley shirts. Smiley-smiley."

with all respect to Mr Carlin, I don't really see a lot of smiles at tea party rallies

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8rZWw9HE7o

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    that sounds more like concerns over capitalism run amok arch!

i think we are getting our liberal fears mixed up here

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8rZWw9HE7o

WINNER

WeedLordVegeta on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

My mother is Pagan, so in theory marriage should mean bugger-all to her.
    Wow.

I don't understand why you moved to California if your drugs back in the UK were that good.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

he was 25

fuck.

Eh, I wish everyone a happy life. Hitler, Phelps, I don't discriminate. If Hitler died happy, I would be happier.

Loren, did you have a good school experience in K-12? I'm curious, because, as raised in the bullying thread, there is a gulf between those who were victims of violence in their formative years and those who were not, and how they interpret violence to to bad people today. For example, when viewing the infamous Australian Bully Revenge video, those who were bullied felt the bully got what he deserved, while those who were not, felt that the victim shouldn't have done anything or if he should have, he acted too severely.

DoctorArch on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Sup Dudes something told me I was supposed to check the chat thread right now.

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Man a few years ago I shunned the idea of marriage as a patriarchal tradition etc etc

Now I don't know

I think, provided we're still together (which of course you should never bet on), I would probably get engaged to Choco if we had a stable financial situation and living situation.

And maybe a car.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_5kv8QeBBc

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Loren, did you have a good school experience in K-12? I'm curious, because, as raised in the bullying thread, there is a gulf between those who were victims of violence in their formative years and those who were not, and how they interpret violence to to bad people today. For example, when viewing the infamous Australian Bully Revenge video, those who were bullied felt the bully got what he deserved, while those who were not, felt that the victim shouldn't have done anything or if he should have, he acted too severely.
    Oh, that bullying video...

That kid acted with precisely the right amount of force. Enough to make the fucker hitting him think twice about ever doing it again, but not enough to do any permanent damage. I mean, he totally could have gotten down on the ground and started beating the shit out of the kid, or kicked him while he was down, but he didn't; he just walked away.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Than, great analogy btw.

with all respect to Mr Carlin, I don't really see a lot of smiles at tea party rallies

Will, if Mormons (or any extreme religion for that matter) could successfully incorporate their theology into our democratic process, they would leap at the chance, and people would not immediately see it coming because it will be "smiley-smiley" and nice.

DoctorArch on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

That kid acted with precisely the right amount of force. Enough to make the fucker hitting him think twice about ever doing it again, but not enough to do any permanent damage. I mean, he totally could have gotten down on the ground and started beating the shit out of the kid, or kicked him while he was down, but he didn't; he just walked away.
    I love that kid. I wish I could've done that to my tormentors during high school.

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Sup Dudes something told me I was supposed to check the chat thread right now.
    How goes the BYU bullshit, Brian?

Gotten any calls from MSNBC, or is your 15 minutes up?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

I love that kid. I wish I could've done that to my tormentors during high school.
    I wish I would have.

I was always getting in trouble for fighting, but I never actually hit anyone; just shoved or threw. I didn't actually want to hurt anyone. Which is a shame, because I think if I had, I would have gotten in a lot less trouble for fighting.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    i was bullied pretty hard growing up, and that video just makes me sad

i don't blame the kid or anything but i can't be happy for him. it's such a shitty situation.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The Garry's Mod community is pretty great.

They're a godsend to people who want to do comics but can't fucking draw (like me!)

Pony on
This discussion has been closed.