As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New 4th Panel for April 1st, 2011 "How'd You Do That"

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    do you tell your students to "shut the fuck up"

just curious

Xehalus on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    BlackDove wrote: »
    Since you're trying to pronounce a Japanese word in a foreign language, you use the appropriate pronunciation.
    Almost nobody does this, ever. Every language adapts foreign loanwords and pronounces them according to the rules of their own language. If you were to say to someone "hey let's go dress like ninja and samurai and do some karaoke while downing kamikaze shots" and you pronounced those words exactly like you would in Japanese

You would be a gigantic tool

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Fuck the Americanization of smörgåsbord.

Fuck it so HARD.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    i love eating me some smores gas board

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    i love eating me some smores gas board

Let's go look at some Van Go's afterwards.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Fuck the Americanization of smörgåsbord.

Fuck it so HARD.

Eller hur?

Berg.

Strand.
    Houk wrote: »

I'm certain you would. Wouldn't want them intellectuals within earshot thinking you weren't one of them.

They may just call on Jesus to exorcise the demons that are possessing your body.

Social conformation, while certainly relevant, does not make for a compelling argument when justifying ignorance.
    Xehalus wrote: »
    do you tell your students to "shut the fuck up"

just curious

Nah, they gave me some cock and bull story about how I was fucking swearing or some shit.

Fucking pussies.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

I'm certain you would. Wouldn't want them intellectuals within earshot thinking you weren't one of them.

They may just call on Jesus to exorcise the demons that are possessing your body.

Social conformation, while certainly relevant, does not make for a compelling argument when justifying ignorance.
    So the only people who pronounce common-use foreign words according to the rules of their native tongue are ignorant redneck Jesus freak Americans? Is that what I'm hearing here?

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I only ask because if that really is your stance, I won't bother trying to correct you and will just hope that you don't actually teach anything related to language.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Surely this wasn't what they intended when they released this 4th Panel episode online.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    ThreadbareSockThreadbareSock Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yes, we should be discussing Jerry's askew glasses.

ThreadbareSock on
  • Options
    bawkbawkboo1bawkbawkboo1 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I don't really see what you guys are talking about with the current production company supposedly being worse than 2PP.

bawkbawkboo1 on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2011
    But how can I really know if they're really there without the boom mic coming into the shot every 10 seconds?

A duck! on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I don't really see what you guys are talking about with the current production company supposedly being worse than 2PP.

It looks like they toned the shakycam way down. I didn't especially notice it before, but I was somewhat watching this time and it remained fairly steady.

If you watch some of the earlier Fourth Panels from this season I think you'd see a drastic difference.

freakish light on
  • Options
    FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    They still zoom way too much. It really bothers me for some reason.

Fandeathis on
    You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    What the fuck are you people talking about.

The Japanese treat the /r/ phoneme with the allophone sounds of [r] and [l]. Meaning they do not distinguish the difference between the allophones for the phoneme, because it doesn't matter in their alphabet.

Since you're trying to pronounce a Japanese word in a foreign language, you use the appropriate pronunciation.

You do not go full redneck and do whatever the fuck because you're not educated. That is not a good excuse.

I'm a teacher by the way. Now shut the fuck up and get out of my classroom.

I wouldn't rag on a person's Japanese pronunciation if they're actually speaking Japanese as long as it was close, much as I don't correct the accents various people speak English with.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    i don't notice any differences between camera crews when i watch

for the most part the camera focuses on things that are interesting and relevant and funny so ?

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2011
    the cameraman focuses but the lens doesn't

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    i haven't noticed it while watching

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You also can't see colors

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    A duck! wrote: »
    But how can I really know if they're really there without the boom mic coming into the shot every 10 seconds?

There is only one correct place for the boom mike, and that is everyone's crotch.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    You also can't see colors

yeah

yeah

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Langly wrote: »
    man, I knew that they weren't comic dudes but I didn't know they were really not into comics that much.

Like, Taskmaster isn't the most recognizable Marvel character, but it's not like he and MODOK are characters you really have to dig deep for.

also x-23 isn't wolverine's daughter she's his clone duh

also, the question of "who has Wolverine had sex with", can usually be answered by instead asking "who hasn't wolverine had sex with".

It at least knocks his various sidekicks out of the loop.

of sex having.

With Wolverine.

in 616.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm pretty sure the entirety of my exposure to x-men is limited to X-Men: Evolution, some wikipedia articles, and random images posted on the internet

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Geez, just reading Erika and Khoo's twitter reports of the rematch with Bungie had me biting my nails, can't wait to see the new ping pong episodes!

KalTorak on
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Koshian wrote: »
    aka peggy hill syndrome

is this the same as mario batali syndrome?

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Langly wrote: »
    man, I knew that they weren't comic dudes but I didn't know they were really not into comics that much.

Like, Taskmaster isn't the most recognizable Marvel character, but it's not like he and MODOK are characters you really have to dig deep for.

also x-23 isn't wolverine's daughter she's his clone duh

also, the question of "who has Wolverine had sex with", can usually be answered by instead asking "who hasn't wolverine had sex with".

I don't really follow Marvel at all

But he never banged Jubilee right?

I hear her character went completely whack after the depowering thingy anyway. I miss the old 90s series, where she was pretty much a mallrat

Jintor on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Jintor wrote: »

I hear her character went completely whack after the depowering thingy anyway. I miss the old 90s series, where she was pretty much a mallrat

Fairly whack.
    She went from mutant to depowered human and now she's a vampire.

bxMIm.jpg

S71GL.jpg

SabreMau on
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    SabreMau wrote: »
    Jintor wrote: »

Fairly whack.
    She went from mutant to depowered human and now she's a vampire.

bxMIm.jpg

S71GL.jpg

They're addressing this now, I think. Or doing SOMETHING with it at least, there's a wolverine+jubilee series going for the moment where they're suddenly in Russia for some reason.

JayKaos on
    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Has Starbucks ever had TV commercials? I can't remember having seen one before, but I just ssaw one in front of the episode. Interesting.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I can't recall ever seeing a Starbucks ad on my teevision.

I would think Starbucks is infamously ubiquitous enough that they have no need for it.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    McDonalds is even more ubiquitous and they still run ads.

It's probably just because Starbucks doesn't have any direct national competitors the size of Burger King or whatnot.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Starbucks used to be completely against ads when I worked there back in 2003. They eventually went to radio, then billboard, and now even television. It has apparently been getting them good results.

Fandeathis on
  • Options
    I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

So the only people who pronounce common-use foreign words according to the rules of their native tongue are ignorant redneck Jesus freak Americans? Is that what I'm hearing here?

I'd love to hear how this cat pronounces the president of libya's name. Or anything from that region (Esp Qatar)

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • Options
    bawkbawkboo1bawkbawkboo1 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

It's probably just because Starbucks doesn't have any direct national competitors the size of Burger King or whatnot.

I know it's not on the same scale, but there is Peet's...

oh wait

bawkbawkboo1 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

I'd love to hear how this cat pronounces the president of libya's name. Or anything from that region (Esp Qatar)

Cat-are?

Fandeathis on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

I believe I read a couple years ago that Subway actually has the most franchises of any restaurant chain in the US.

But yeah, you're probably right about Starbucks lacking competition. I mean, who the hell is going to give them a run for their money, Caribou? Pfff.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Gaslight wrote: »

I believe I read a couple years ago that Subway actually has the most franchises of any restaurant chain in the US.

But yeah, you're probably right about Starbucks lacking competition. I mean, who the hell is going to give them a run for their money, Caribou? Pfff.

Subway actually has the most franchises in the entire world. McDonald's still creams them in revenue though.

Fandeathis on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Fandeathis wrote: »

Subway actually has the most franchises in the entire world. McDonald's still creams them in revenue though.

I imagine Subway's food is a little higher quality, but the price is pretty all right.

Didn't someone once leave a McDonalds burger or something alone, and it still looked exactly the same after months and months?

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Goatmon wrote: »

I imagine Subway's food is a little higher quality, but the price is pretty all right.

Didn't someone once leave a McDonalds burger or something alone, and it still looked exactly the same after months and months?

There's this art project.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Cat-are?

this was a good post

good job

Langly on