As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

SC2: Dreamhack and NASL tomorrow! You will never get any work done!

• AldarezAldarez Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Praetor wrote: »
    Just ordered a Razer Blackwidow, throwing out my otherwise totally awesome Wolfclaw. Gonna be painful to see my 7 year old gaming companion go, but hey, its all about the switches!

Totally going to be the reason I get to diamond... If I ladder.

>_>
    <_<

I just got one a couple of days ago. High five!

The layout felt a little funky at first, but I'm getting used to it and the keys feel great. I don't think you'll be disappointed ...unless you like things quiet that is.

Aldarez on
    2188939-1.png
  • Zombie MonkeyZombie Monkey Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    what razer mouse is considered the best for sc2?

Zombie Monkey on
    League of Legends - Enzo III
  • AldarezAldarez Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    DeathAdder, afaik.

Edit: There are some more expensive, higher DPI models on their website, so who knows, maybe they're better. I've only heard of people using the DeathAdder though.

Aldarez on
    2188939-1.png
  • KambingKambing Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It depends on your mouse grip. Most folk that palm their mouse go with deathadders. People that claw/fingertip grip go with the abyssus or they buy asian salmosas off of ebay.

Kambing on
    @TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    Don't buy laser mice, they suck. Any mouse with a DPI of 1500 or so will be more than enough also.

Fizban140 on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    my adder is only set to 1800

Dhalphir on
  • PoolCuePoolCue Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    kedinik wrote: »
    Dreamhack kicks off in ~45 minutes, yes?

if by that you mean in another 23 hours, yes

PoolCue on
  • peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    tl calender says dh is in 24hrs?

peacekeeper on
  • stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    Don't buy laser mice, they suck. Any mouse with a DPI of 1500 or so will be more than enough also.

My G5 disagrees. Never let me down.

stimtokolos on
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Euphemon wrote: »
    NASL starts tomorrow, actally. Dreamhack invitational is today though, even if Boxer is missing :(

On their website, I'm seeing Dreamhack as starting tomorrow (the 12th). I'll be more than happy to be corrected if this isn't the case though?

Campy on
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    See, that was my confusion.

Someone said that Dreamhack started today and on the dreamhack website I could only find a time of day, not a date.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    kedinik is not good at anything even schedules

Dhalphir on
    edited April 2011
    yeah NASL seems to be lined up nicely what with it being a day after dreamhack

looks like theres going to be at least one major sc2 event every day

PoolCue on
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dhalphir wrote: »

Kedinik is great at posting code for determining a random number generator in ActionScript 3 to help out a fellow forum member who is struggling with getting a school project done because he hasn't been given all of the information he needs to get said assignment done.

MNC Dover: watching people's backs since 06-18-2007. :D

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited April 2011
    oh

oh ouch

i have been....

corrected

Dhalphir on
  • peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    see i just look at tl, x hrs away ok cool to know ill be there then

peacekeeper on
    edited April 2011
    A lovely replay of absolutely 100% pure standard PvZ play

http://www.gamereplays.org/starcraft2/replays.php?game=33&show=details&id=202551

Also I'm going to link my replay pack again as it can no longer be seen in my sig while jailed

http://www.mediafire.com/?p54qa19rdbimd15

Dhalphir on
  • SeguerSeguer of the Void Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    oh

oh ouch

i have been....

corrected
    It happens more often than you'd think!

<3

Seguer on
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Kedinik is great at posting code for determining a random number generator in ActionScript 3 to help out a fellow forum member who is struggling with getting a school project done because he hasn't been given all of the information he needs to get said assignment done.

Good man, Dover.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Changed my mouse speed to 70% (from 52%) and removed acceleration.

Last few games have been tough... miss clicking like nobody's business... but the benefits will be great, right?
    >.<'

(sc2 fame, tossgirl clones, k-pop hair-gel and hit single, etc.)

... right?

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Aren't you a bit young to be getting married?

fadingathedges on
    edited April 2011
    MMMig wrote: »

Last few games have been tough... miss clicking like nobody's business... but the benefits will be great, right?
    >.<'

... right?

Removing acceleration is huge, but as a first order rule, you want your sensitivity to be as low as possible.

On my g9x, I had it dialed down to 400 dpi with the default pointer settings and with my kinzu, it's at 400 cpi (the lowest setting) and my in-game sens is at 44%. Once you get used to having a slower mouse, you'll find your accuracy sky rocket with little-to-no loss in your response time.

Kambing on
    @TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • PraetorPraetor [Redacted]Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

>.<'

... right?

A little bird told me that setting your mouse speed to multiples of 5 messes up the settings. Otherwise, all is true!

Praetor on
    3DS FC: 3067-6095-3603
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

Aren't you a bit young to be getting married?

LOL, don't you know? 4 is the new 35.
    That was my PA member sign-up date. :)

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    PoolCue wrote: »
    Seguer wrote: »
    ok, it starts :D livestream is up here

http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/Frack

hope to ladder a decent bit this morning but im ill so i may have to cut it short if i get too tired or something, mic installed but i may start with some ambient music.

If all i get is pvps then well boo :[
    FYI you might want to turn that music off unless you like having your channel banned (potentially) unless it is royalty free etc...?

AFAIK you don't need to worry about copyrighted music if you're not a partner

what if the music was bought in a format for performances? Like, rekkids for raves? These guys don't belong to ASCAP or BMI, and the rekkids were used for-profit, to live audiences?

Of course, if I have to add spinning two tables and a microphone, my macro may suffer.

---

I played a bunch with the spanishiwa/Ice Fisher/Fisher build (he asked for it to be called fisher or ice fisher in his original post) and:

* wow, the minerals
    * right after you drop gas, you need an immediate third, and possibly a 4th/macro hatch to keep larvae up with your income.
    * ZvZ - no go. you need the pool and lings and queen out much faster than after a 16FE->15 pool, and god help ya if he cheeses you.
    * It's REALLY strong ZvT.
    * Pretty good vs. Protoss, but you have to remember that you're going to be building to counter the deathball by the time you get around to making units. If he's 4gating, you'll hold with your creep queens and spine crawlers, keep in mind that we're talking 5-7 crawlers, and at least 2 queens dedicated to creeping. I'd actually overbuild the creep queens and move one to a new base after you take 3rd/4th. But you better have something prepared for the deathball, because its going to be there, very, very quickly.

Speaking of creep, anybody have recommendations for efficient use of creep tumors and their off shoots? I've had creep tumors out the wazoo, but was only getting half the map, and they pile so close that I wonder if they're actually increasing creep coverage unless i get them on the edge of creep.

The biggest issue that I'm finding is that there is no early pressure. It's a purely defensive play to skip the early game, and play mid-late. If I don't get ANY pressure on them, some people have great timing builds that destroy me if left to play alone.

Joe K on
  • mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    what, efficient use of creep tumors?? just fucking highlight them all then spam them out as far as they can go
    make that whole map goobly purple
    then cry when the protoss walks all over it with one observer and destroys your beautiful creation

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
    edited April 2011
    Joe K wrote: »
    PoolCue wrote: »
    Seguer wrote: »
    ok, it starts :D livestream is up here

http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/Frack

hope to ladder a decent bit this morning but im ill so i may have to cut it short if i get too tired or something, mic installed but i may start with some ambient music.

If all i get is pvps then well boo :[
    FYI you might want to turn that music off unless you like having your channel banned (potentially) unless it is royalty free etc...?

AFAIK you don't need to worry about copyrighted music if you're not a partner

what if the music was bought in a format for performances? Like, rekkids for raves? These guys don't belong to ASCAP or BMI, and the rekkids were used for-profit, to live audiences?

Of course, if I have to add spinning two tables and a microphone, my macro may suffer.

---

I played a bunch with the spanishiwa/Ice Fisher/Fisher build (he asked for it to be called fisher or ice fisher in his original post) and:

* wow, the minerals
    * right after you drop gas, you need an immediate third, and possibly a 4th/macro hatch to keep larvae up with your income.
    * ZvZ - no go. you need the pool and lings and queen out much faster than after a 16FE->15 pool, and god help ya if he cheeses you.
    * It's REALLY strong ZvT.
    * Pretty good vs. Protoss, but you have to remember that you're going to be building to counter the deathball by the time you get around to making units. If he's 4gating, you'll hold with your creep queens and spine crawlers, keep in mind that we're talking 5-7 crawlers, and at least 2 queens dedicated to creeping. I'd actually overbuild the creep queens and move one to a new base after you take 3rd/4th. But you better have something prepared for the deathball, because its going to be there, very, very quickly.

Speaking of creep, anybody have recommendations for efficient use of creep tumors and their off shoots? I've had creep tumors out the wazoo, but was only getting half the map, and they pile so close that I wonder if they're actually increasing creep coverage unless i get them on the edge of creep.

The biggest issue that I'm finding is that there is no early pressure. It's a purely defensive play to skip the early game, and play mid-late. If I don't get ANY pressure on them, some people have great timing builds that destroy me if left to play alone.

It is probably not spanishiwa's fault that those timing pushes destroy you.

Also the only thing that is "timing" about a bronze attack is that it comes at a certain time in the game. No one actually knows when that time is going to be, but it will come at a certain time, like all events in our life. No one knows what will happen when the bronze player attacks, but we do know that he will have a good 40 supply less than he could, half the workers back at home that he should have, and one less base!

>.<'

... right?

Yes, removing mouse acceleration is the best thing you can do.

Also, following on from this...
    A lovely replay of absolutely 100% pure standard PvZ play

http://www.gamereplays.org/starcraft2/replays.php?game=33&show=details&id=202551

Also I'm going to link my replay pack again as it can no longer be seen in my sig while jailed

http://www.mediafire.com/?p54qa19rdbimd15

Here is a less standard PvZ!

This is how I've been dealing with gas steals lately besides going for 4gate.
    http://www.gamereplays.org/starcraft2/replays.php?game=33&show=details&id=202553

Dhalphir on
    edited April 2011
    it was found that if you planted an additional creep tumor as fast as possible you gain a faster creep spread than if you were to wait for the tumor to finish completely expanding and then planting a tumor. this is because your previous tumors are overlapping with your newly planted ones and so you get increased creep spread speed

It got pretty significant after 3 or so tumors if I remember

as for creep planting, I dunno, ctrl-click a tumor to get all the creep tumors on the screen and then plant?

PoolCue on
    edited April 2011
    Kambing wrote: »

>.<'

... right?

Removing acceleration is huge, but as a first order rule, you want your sensitivity to be as low as possible.

On my g9x, I had it dialed down to 400 dpi with the default pointer settings and with my kinzu, it's at 400 cpi (the lowest setting) and my in-game sens is at 44%. Once you get used to having a slower mouse, you'll find your accuracy sky rocket with little-to-no loss in your response time.

I had great accuracy before at 52%, even with acceleration. I could micro lings vs carriers ez, but I found that I needed to raise my apm.

140 avg apm wasn't cutting it... I'm finding that I didn't spread tumors fast enough and inject fast enough, even though I was definitely busy and not doing unecessary actions. I'm OK at macroing like a mofo but those other little, yet crucial things slip by.

The few pros I've seen, seem to have their mouse speed fairly fast.

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
    edited April 2011
    submission for replay of the day
    Simon 2 gate FE transition into losing his whole base and then I spine crawler his nat. from his former base's ledge

repimg-33-202557.jpg

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    edited April 2011
    oh you are mastman i did not know that

Dhalphir on
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, mastmans identity is finally revealed. No one knows what his avatar is though.

Fizban140 on
    edited April 2011
    yes sorry I name changed you were on the SA servers mostly

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
  • EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Euphemon on
    iG3kv1d.png
  • SaarutoSaaruto Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    TLO as Rogue

shudder

Saaruto on
    If you can chill, chill.
    Steam ID
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That is the greatest thing that has ever happened in the history of ever.

3cl1ps3 on
    edited April 2011
    Kambing wrote: »

>.<'

... right?

I had great accuracy before at 52%, even with acceleration. I could micro lings vs carriers ez, but I found that I needed to raise my apm.

140 avg apm wasn't cutting it... I'm finding that I didn't spread tumors fast enough and inject fast enough, even though I was definitely busy and not doing unecessary actions. I'm OK at macroing like a mofo but those other little, yet crucial things slip by.

The few pros I've seen, seem to have their mouse speed fairly fast.

By far, the dominant factor in your APM is your hotkey usage rather than your mouse. You really want your mouse to be as accurate as possible because misclicks are far more painful to both your APM and your overall gameplay than being able to move the mouse around the screen quickly.

Although I concede that wrt sensitivity, it's all up to taste though in the end. Speedy mouse movement comes from knowing where your mouse should go before it needs to be there coupled with accuracy to avoid error correction. I know Incontrol runs with a Xai at a fairly high CPI setting. Contrary to that, Idra runs his Kinzu at the lowest CPI setting.

Kambing on
    edited April 2011
    Saaruto wrote: »
    TLO as Rogue

shudder

I know, right!

I want to hug them both, and feed them a leaf.

But for very different reasons.
    >.<'

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hey guys, I'm going to be playing around with streaming for a little bit, so come check me out!

http://www.justin.tv/sceptre666

Edit: Stream is back

Sceptre on