As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[One Piece] Same day as Japan! er roughly.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    A lesser man might simply stab the torso of the enemy he's broken apart.

But a truly great man will take that torso and stick it onto an animal's broken apart hindquarters to make freakish centauroids that will serve him.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    Law's fruit is pretty damn OP. Incidentally, it's called the Ope-Ope fruit.

I was half suspecting him to remove the hearts of the Strawhats. I'm glad it resulted in the Freaky Friday gimmick. I've been waiting for something like that for a long time.

Also, I like Brownbeard as a croc-taur better.

Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    I guess the downside to Law's fruit is that it can't apparently do any actual harm to something - anything broken apart is rearranged, not physically damaged.

Plus it's got limited range.

Yeah, but once you've detached the limbs of everything near you (and broken them up into more pieces for fun), it should be pretty easy to just.... you know, stab them normally....

As far as the range goes, even if you have a projectile attack, it has to get close to him to do anything.

Remember the 3 supernova fight at Shabony? Law switched the head of a marine with a cannonball in mid-shot!

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    According to Kinokuniya statistics recently highlighted by NHK, One Piece reader demographics are almost 90% adult, and a majority of those are past 30:

1-12 – 3.0%
    13-18 – 10.5%
    19-29 – 37.4%
    30-49 – 36.9%
    50+ – 12.2%

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    According to Kinokuniya statistics recently highlighted by NHK, One Piece reader demographics are almost 90% adult, and a majority of those are past 30:

1-12 – 3.0%
    13-18 – 10.5%
    19-29 – 37.4%
    30-49 – 36.9%
    50+ – 12.2%

Think how many picked the series up in their tweens/teens. Fast forward this amount of time, and they've stuck with it, while the intimidating number of chapters scares off some new readers.

• Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular

1-12 – 3.0%
    13-18 – 10.5%
    19-29 – 37.4%
    30-49 – 36.9%
    50+ – 12.2%

Think how many picked the series up in their tweens/teens. Fast forward this amount of time, and they've stuck with it, while the intimidating number of chapters scares off some new readers.

Yeah, that's the most common complaint I see about OP, sadly.

• Options
    WarponyWarpony Too small. The MoonRegistered User regular
    I cant belueve a failure of an anime geys its own thread but anime in general doesnt.

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    It's very hard to convince people to watch or read one piece.

I mean, yes, I could drop three boxes filled with volumes on them, or tell them to switch it on hulu and leave it on for a few days but that's just intimidating.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Collection 6 is coming out on June 12. It should cover all the filler and Jaya, plus the first chunk of Skypiea.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Warpony wrote: »
    I cant belueve a failure of an anime geys its own thread but anime in general doesnt.

it's cause every time somebody references that rule the mods add another year to ban timer

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Fallout2manFallout2man Vault Dweller Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Yeah, but once you've detached the limbs of everything near you (and broken them up into more pieces for fun), it should be pretty easy to just.... you know, stab them normally....

As far as the range goes, even if you have a projectile attack, it has to get close to him to do anything.

Yes, but this is an active technique and not a passive defense. Wouldn't work very well against a sniper bullet to the brain from behind, for instance. Well...unless he's got Haki...in which case we're all screwed. ;_;

On Ignorance:
    Kana wrote:
    If the best you can come up with against someone who's patently ignorant is to yell back at him, "Yeah? Well there's BOOKS, and they say you're WRONG!"

Then honestly you're not coming out of this looking great either.
  • Options
    I believe the definition of the term "screwed" is a pissed off Enel who got rid of his God complex and just fought full-bore.

The pain would be endless.

• Options
    LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular

In what way is One Piece a failure?

I mean, by my standards, when they make a seaborne restaurant based off of your manga and you have more episodes, chapters, and movies than DragonBall, things are going pretty swell!

• Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular

I mean, by my standards, when they make a seaborne restaurant based off of your manga and you have more episodes, chapters, and movies than DragonBall, things are going pretty swell!

One Piece is probably the biggest thing in Japan. I was on vacation there a few months back, and the amount of one piece merch that existed EVERYWHERE outdid everything else in pure magnitude by several times. Even gundam and dragonball combined didn't equal the amount it has. Nothing comes close.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular

Don't... don't do that. Don't try to engage someone who would make a comment like that in rational discussion.

Just take joy in their sweet, sweet frustration.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Yeah guys please just report obvious trolls. We've been warned about this before.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Godfather wrote: »
    I believe the definition of the term "screwed" is a pissed off Enel who got rid of his God complex and just fought full-bore.

The pain would be endless.

A logia would smack Law around pretty easily. Oh you discombobulated me? Schwomp. Wanna try again?

Im curious if armor haki can deflect it too.

Brook seems pretty invincible too his powers font require a body.

• Options
    Brook was improbably great in the most recent chapter, too. Oda draws angry Brook so well.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Brooke has really stepped up his game in the time jump, probably more so then the other crew members. Not because he's that much better, but because, well, we had next to nothing to work with in the beginning :lol: He's been quite the character when it comes to snaking everyone out of a jam.

Also Mansopp has been resourceful like nobody's business since the jump as well. We just started the second half and already he's proved to be an invaluable asset ten times over.

Godfather on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    I like how the scaredy-cat brigade is still scared out of their minds when this impossible shit happens. They just happen to be much better fighters.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    mageormikemageormike Registered User regular
    This week's flashback-starter episode was great. It's amusing watching Arlong act as third stringer here.

• Options
    mageormike wrote: »
    This week's flashback-starter episode was great. It's amusing watching Arlong act as third stringer here.

On reflection Arlong always knew he wasn't up to snuff. He picked the east blue for a lot of reasons the biggest being that ideally nobody could stand up to even a mediocre hasbeen Fishman like him.

I call it Don Kreig syndrome

• Options
    I really don't like Arlong's new VA. He sounds... wrong.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Is it a new voice actor? I can't even tell. Also, I wouldn't mind if they picked up the pace during the flashbacks at least, I remember them feeling like forever when they were coming out weekly in the manga.

• Options
    mageormikemageormike Registered User regular
    I'm certain that it's the same voice actor. Only one man can do that "SHA-HA-HA-HA" the way he can :P

• Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    Yeah, he sounded completely the same to me. I don't think animes make it a habit to replace their voice actors unless there's existential circumstances (i.e. Jimbei, Ivankov).

On that note though, Jimbei does sound hella different to me. I don't know if his VA, Katsuhisa Hoki, decided to really alter the performance but I can live with it. I always appreciated how the guy could also do freaking Gecko Moria.

Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    So Tam from the AC just shot through all of One Piece in a week, start to finish.

Dang.

• Options
    Arlong's VA hasn't changed, apparently. It still sounds weird, perhaps I'm misremembering Arlong Park.

• Options
    I never knew Jinbe's voice actor changed. It seems it was more of a false start than a change, I can't even recall what old Jinbe sounded like.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    According to the One Piece Podcast, Buggy's bounty at the One Piece Excibit is marked as "cancelled".

I think that confirms what we already knew.

Edit - And Ace's bounty was 550 million.

Turkey on
  • Options
    Question, is anyone with a SJ Alpha subscription having trouble accessing the website? I went to the old website, and the domain is for sale on godaddy.com, and I googled SJ Alpha, and the new website let me log in but the reader is broken. Is it me or them?

• Options
    Fallout2manFallout2man Vault Dweller Registered User regular
    Turkey wrote: »
    According to the One Piece Podcast, Buggy's bounty at the One Piece Excibit is marked as "cancelled".

Didn't Oda say that 500 million was the maximum bounty in one of his commentaries? o_O;;

On Ignorance:
    Kana wrote:
    If the best you can come up with against someone who's patently ignorant is to yell back at him, "Yeah? Well there's BOOKS, and they say you're WRONG!"

Then honestly you're not coming out of this looking great either.
  • Options
    Turkey wrote: »

Didn't Oda say that 500 million was the maximum bounty in one of his commentaries? o_O;;

Yeah and that was supposed to be for Enel too, the man with the only fruit that boasts of invulnerability

• Options
    Question, is anyone with a SJ Alpha subscription having trouble accessing the website? I went to the old website, and the domain is for sale on godaddy.com, and I googled SJ Alpha, and the new website let me log in but the reader is broken. Is it me or them?

http://www.sjalpha.com/ <- This link working for you?

As for the bounty, my guess is that the bounty went up post-mortem or something.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    RockinX wrote: »

1-12 – 3.0%
    13-18 – 10.5%
    19-29 – 37.4%
    30-49 – 36.9%
    50+ – 12.2%

Not to derail the thread or anything, but if that's the main complaint about One Piece, I can't even begin to imagine the headache those people have with Marvel or DC comics.

Talk about a continuity lockout/snarl O-O

Godfather on
  • Options
    RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Godfather wrote: »
    RockinX wrote: »

1-12 – 3.0%
    13-18 – 10.5%
    19-29 – 37.4%
    30-49 – 36.9%
    50+ – 12.2%

Not to derail the thread or anything, but if that's the main complaint about One Piece, I can't even begin to imagine the headache those people have with Marvel or DC comics.

Talk about a continuity lockout/snarl O-O

I've never really been able to relate to people that complain about the length of a comic, novel, or text. As far I'm concerned, I like having more enjoyable content, as opposed to less. Even if you're reading at a leisurely pace, there's something nice about knowing there are still huge chunks of adventure on the horizon.

When I started reading OP, one of the main draws was the sheer backlog of volumes available to read.

RhalloTonny on
    !
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    EDIT: Oof, I think i'm going to spoiler my answer to that response because I feel it is a somewhat loaded topic.
    Well I really don't want to start a whole argument on East vs. Western comics, but I think Alan Moore said it best when it comes to our stuff:
    These days, the majority of the comic book audience is 40-somethings who are not necessarily interested in comic books as a medium or panel progression or sequential narrative. They are probably interested in Wolverine. There is a large nostalgic component in there and there's nothing wrong with it. But if those people then begin to influence the books themselves or increasingly the movies or the television series then they will want their story to refer to stories that they remember. It becomes very incestuous and over a few decades you get a very limited dwindling gene pool. And you get stories that have become weak through inbreeding.

I think the difference here is that only one guy is in charge of One Piece, lock, stock and barrel, and it's always going to be that way. The reverse sadly is not true.

Godfather on
  • Options
    B_RB_R Registered User regular
    When talking about western comics, american audience totally forgets about the very big french market which produces comics that differ greatly from american or japanese comics.

• Options
    That is a shame; the French make some of the most beautiful environmental designs out there for the medium, and focus more on creating simple one-shots and stories with a definite beginning, middle and end. I'd say they are the best at actually propelling the medium rather then pushing a series endlessly like we do.

• Options
    Ahahahaha, holy shit Law! That's one way to finish a fight!

This discussion has been closed.