As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[One Piece] Same day as Japan! er roughly.

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    No chapter this week. Or if you want to look at it differently there was no chapter last week and a very early chapter this week.

To resimplify. New chapter next week.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Awww :<

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Tearjerker in this week's episode.

Also, something I noticed:
    When Otohime was talking about Shirahoshi's ability to call Sea Kings, she said someone who come along one day to teach her how.The silhouette looks a bit like Shanks. Did anyone else see that?

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Sorry bout the double post but:

Biggest spoiler in this week's chapter
    From the decks of the world!

• Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    For some reason I didn't think the Yeti Cool Brothers' name was meant so... literally.

Ah well, should make for a good fight.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    666!!!!!!!
    Bon Clay status: alive!

Now I don't regret standing outside of Oda's house for months on end shouting GANBARE!!!!! over and over again!

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    666!!!!!!!
    Bon Clay status: alive!

Now I don't regret standing outside of Oda's house for months on end shouting GANBARE!!!!! over and over again!
    Placing money of permanent face damage to Bon Clay. When he's not using his devil fruit, at least.

• Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    That made my day!

• Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    The suspense is killing me. Too many unanswered questions with more piling up =\

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    So question/comment, I guess.

Shonen Jump Alpha this week:
    One Piece color spread looks good, but the full screen option of the reader is kind of meh, compared to other readers.
    Next week is off, I guess for Golden Week, two weeks delayed?
    Bakuman is ending :(, and the manga they have selected to run in its place is called Rurouni Kenshin Reboot, from Jump SQ. This makes me ask two things: 1) I assume there was an original Rurouni Kenshin at some point, was it good? and 2) Jump SQ is the monthly magazine, right? How are they going to convert that to a weekly format?

• Options
    Oro?

• Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular

One Piece color spread looks good, but the full screen option of the reader is kind of meh, compared to other readers.
    Bakuman is ending :(, and the manga they have selected to run in its place is called Rurouni Kenshin Reboot, from Jump SQ. This makes me ask two things: 1) I assume there was an original Rurouni Kenshin at some point, was it good? and 2) Jump SQ is the monthly magazine, right? How are they going to convert that to a weekly format?

Ruroni Kenshin is very good. Oda worked on it as an assistant!

And yeah, Jump Square is monthly. Not sure why they chose that, maybe they're going to rotate in different manga in that slot?

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    I really liked Rurouni Kenshin through the Shishio arc, but whatever comes after that I just of lost interest and never quite all the way though.

• Options
    Behemoth wrote: »

Ruroni Kenshin is very good. Oda worked on it as an assistant!

And yeah, Jump Square is monthly. Not sure why they chose that, maybe they're going to rotate in different manga in that slot?

So Oda was an assistant on Rurouni Kenshin. Oda's assistant, Mashima, created Fairy Tail, and then Mashima's assistant created Yankee-Kun to Megane-Chan. This happens a lot, I'm guessing? You can tell, at least with Fairy Tail, that he was influenced by One Piece.

When they say reboot, is this a do over of Rurouni Kenshin? I guess we'll find out in two weeks.

• Options
    EvilOtakuEvilOtaku Registered User regular
    When they say reboot, is this a do over of Rurouni Kenshin? I guess we'll find out in two weeks.

Its based on the Live Action movie that's coming out.

And yea, starting out as an assistant is a pretty standard career path.

• Options
    Rurouni Kenshin was pretty badass. It also has the greatest english dub of an opening. While there haven't been any overt references to it in One Piece, I expect Wano to be full of them.

Shonen Jump Alpha is running a survey to see which series have enough fan interest to be added to the magazine. A week or two ago, the One Piece Podcast had an interview with the woman in charge of SJA, who said that they're pushing for Gintama and Reborn to be added due to the popularity of their official anime streams. I've always been interested in reading Gintama, and lord knows Reborn needs a decent translator.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Sorry bout the double post but:

Biggest spoiler in this week's chapter
    From the decks of the world!
    I'm frustrated, but it makes sense, that there has to be some artificial barrier (i.e. crew being in different bodies) in order to make these fights interesting. Otherwise I have a feeling, like in the Hodi Jones fights, once they get to go all out it is just going to be over.

• Options
    That is actually how every fight until Crocodile worked. Something got in the way to hold the crew back.

• Options
    Fallout2manFallout2man Vault Dweller Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I don't know if the manga was better than the anime but Ruroni Kenshin the anime always struck me as a poorly done Trigun style story. Even though I think Trigun came after Kenshin by some time. I didn't mind Kenshin until Shishio.
    Kenshin never truly suffers any real consequences for his refusal to kill. Vash despite his superior alien genetics hides a body so damaged it looks like a disheveled small-town road paved 40 years ago. Shishio was the perfect foil to Kenshin and yet again, his story arc was written as such that Kenshin never really had to face himself and face the consequences of practicing his philosophy in Barbaric times. Legato forced Vash to choose whether he'd save his friends or kill, Shishio was about to kill Kenshin for his weakness and yet, instead, mysteriously burns up. It felt too much like a stupid cop-out to prevent Kenshin from ever having to question himself, his stance on life, and how he was going to live in the world. He never really grew as a character after the OVAs while Vash was regularly challenged to change his lifestyle because the world was just far bigger than him and his plans. I can appreciate what Kenshin did as far as advancing anime, but in retrospect it just feels lacking compared to other titles that have done the same story but, in my own opinion, set it in a far more believable world with more realistic characters. (which really, if you're going to do a moral drama over killing, good characters are essential)

Which back to one piece:
    I seriously hope Bon Clay has some sort of disfigurement from his fight to showcase how he just barely lived. I'm honestly starting to get a little tired of all of these dramatic fights where no one dies. It was fun at first but since One Piece is still going it eventually starts to wear on me. I mean where's the excitement going to come from if you set a tone where you never are afraid for a character's life? I had hoped Marineford was showing that was about to change, finally, with the title. I guess we'll see! :)

Fallout2man on
    On Ignorance:
    Kana wrote:
    If the best you can come up with against someone who's patently ignorant is to yell back at him, "Yeah? Well there's BOOKS, and they say you're WRONG!"

Then honestly you're not coming out of this looking great either.
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    I used to watch Samurai X back when it was first broadcast here in 1998 just because Dragon Ball Z followed it. I didn't really care about it now, and I doubt I'll care today.

• Options
    Turkey wrote: »
    Rurouni Kenshin was pretty badass. It also has the greatest english dub of an opening. While there haven't been any overt references to it in One Piece, I expect Wano to be full of them.

Shonen Jump Alpha is running a survey to see which series have enough fan interest to be added to the magazine. A week or two ago, the One Piece Podcast had an interview with the woman in charge of SJA, who said that they're pushing for Gintama and Reborn to be added due to the popularity of their official anime streams. I've always been interested in reading Gintama, and lord knows Reborn needs a decent translator.

Where is this survey being taken? I feel like Reborn! and Beelzebub would be good additions, if I had to pick two. Reborn! especially, that series kind of got the short end of the stick with its localization.

• Options
    RK's english opening is a lot like the pirate rap. Cheesy but man if it gets stuck in your head it gets in there good.

• Options
    RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    RK's english opening is a lot like the pirate rap. Cheesy but man if it gets stuck in your head it gets in there good.

I only saw the show a few times, roughly 10 years ago.

The moment I read your post it started playing in my mind.

RhalloTonny on
    !
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular

Where is this survey being taken? I feel like Reborn! and Beelzebub would be good additions, if I had to pick two. Reborn! especially, that series kind of got the short end of the stick with its localization.

I'm honestly surprised that they would want to push Gintama, considering that they stopped translating the physical volumes due to poor sales.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Zython wrote: »

I'm honestly surprised that they would want to push Gintama, considering that they stopped translating the physical volumes due to poor sales.

I haven't listened to the interview again, but I think the editor said that Gintama's official anime subs have been pretty successful. I think the series is still running too.

This is the survey link.

The interview is 22 minutes into this podcast.

Turkey on
  • Options
    Survey filled out. For the "pick 3 series you'd like to see," I picked three that are good but don't get updated weekly by their respective groups.

• Options
    mageormikemageormike Registered User regular
    Man, I liked that episode a lot. Great transition from flashback to present, and lots of great emotional moments as well.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    New chapter:
    -I'm glad Law hasn't lost his ambition.
    -Franky-faced Chopper is weird looking.
    -I almost missed it, but at the end of the chapter, Luffy breaks Nami's chains by biting them

RhalloTonny on
    !
  • Options
    I bet the Yeti Cool Bros' faces are like Sadi's pets.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    This week's chapter was
    So cool.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    On this week's chapter:
    Trafalgar Law: SO COOL.

Also, Law seems like the kind of guy to have chronic backstabbing syndrome. Don't care though, he's such a thoroughly awesome character in every way.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    On this week's chapter:
    Trafalgar Law: SO COOL.

Also, Law seems like the kind of guy to have chronic backstabbing syndrome. Don't care though, he's such a thoroughly awesome character in every way.
    I'm just pleased we didn't have his time-skip be offscreen nerfing. Good to see that not just a Cesar's watchdog. Too good a character design to waste on something like that.

RhalloTonny on
    !
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    As good a place as anywhere given it was part of the final lineup.

http://ow.ly/i/D8Rj

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I don't know if the manga was better than the anime but Ruroni Kenshin the anime always struck me as a poorly done Trigun style story. Even though I think Trigun came after Kenshin by some time. I didn't mind Kenshin until Shishio.
    Kenshin never truly suffers any real consequences for his refusal to kill. Vash despite his superior alien genetics hides a body so damaged it looks like a disheveled small-town road paved 40 years ago. Shishio was the perfect foil to Kenshin and yet again, his story arc was written as such that Kenshin never really had to face himself and face the consequences of practicing his philosophy in Barbaric times. Legato forced Vash to choose whether he'd save his friends or kill, Shishio was about to kill Kenshin for his weakness and yet, instead, mysteriously burns up. It felt too much like a stupid cop-out to prevent Kenshin from ever having to question himself, his stance on life, and how he was going to live in the world. He never really grew as a character after the OVAs while Vash was regularly challenged to change his lifestyle because the world was just far bigger than him and his plans. I can appreciate what Kenshin did as far as advancing anime, but in retrospect it just feels lacking compared to other titles that have done the same story but, in my own opinion, set it in a far more believable world with more realistic characters. (which really, if you're going to do a moral drama over killing, good characters are essential)

Which back to one piece:
    I seriously hope Bon Clay has some sort of disfigurement from his fight to showcase how he just barely lived. I'm honestly starting to get a little tired of all of these dramatic fights where no one dies. It was fun at first but since One Piece is still going it eventually starts to wear on me. I mean where's the excitement going to come from if you set a tone where you never are afraid for a character's life? I had hoped Marineford was showing that was about to change, finally, with the title. I guess we'll see! :)

!
    Imagine Bon Clay with a bit of Deadpool and Clayface mixed in.

• Options
    Season 4 Voyage 1 is coming out August 7!

Rightstuf link

Amazon link

A bit later than I hoped, but at least it's got a date now.

• Options
    Hmm, I wonder if they'll start showing the dub again for free...

• Options
    Fallout2manFallout2man Vault Dweller Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Hmm, I wonder if they'll start showing the dub again for free...
    Funimation puts dubbed episodes on its website, although it doesn't put the full library up at once. So I'm sure they'll start adding new ones to the rotation within a few months. (leaving a window to maximize DVD sales) I'm honestly shocked that Funimation has somehow survived what has been otherwise an almost total collapse of the anime industry here. Is there even another company around still bothering to produce dubs of anything?

Fallout2man on
    On Ignorance:
    Kana wrote:
    If the best you can come up with against someone who's patently ignorant is to yell back at him, "Yeah? Well there's BOOKS, and they say you're WRONG!"

Then honestly you're not coming out of this looking great either.
  • Options
    The former ashes of ADV sometimes dubs stuff. Viz has largely gotten out of it. Bandai America just closed up shop a few months ago.

Funi survived because they largely stayed out of the bidding wars and had DBZ that whole time. When ADV did explode they got to cherry pick their entire catalog for those that did actually sell on DVD.

• Options
    I can't find a link at the moment, but they usually begin posting the videos for free after about 6 weeks from the DVD's release.

• Options
    I hope they leak the fifth OP soon. I'm pretty curious to see what they did with it.

This discussion has been closed.