As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Western Animation thread

• Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    Is anybody else disturbed by the way the Chipettes are sexualized in that movie?

I mean, I normally wouldn't comment on this sort of thing, but we're talking about preteen anthropomorphic rodents. All you need to do is give them ridiculously huge breasts and they could repackage it for Japan.

I also find it hilarious that the Chipmunks and Chipettes have less than an octave of difference in tone

Well, it was the 80s. Things were weird back then.

Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    FCD wrote: »
    Is anybody else disturbed by the way the Chipettes are sexualized in that movie?

I mean, I normally wouldn't comment on this sort of thing, but we're talking about preteen anthropomorphic rodents. All you need to do is give them ridiculously huge breasts and they could repackage it for Japan.

I also find it hilarious that the Chipmunks and Chipettes have less than an octave of difference in tone

Plus, the demographic it tailored to was what? 6 years or under?

I've read some similar comments about the Chipettes, and I don't see what the big deal is. If you want more blatant 80's sexualization, look no further:
    7jxaY.jpg

• Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular

I've read some similar comments about the Chipettes, and I don't see what the big deal is. If you want more blatant 80's sexualization, look no further:
    7jxaY.jpg

April O'Neil isn't intended to be eight years old.

sig.gif
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular

7jxaY.jpg

In this particular example, she was in a show intended for 8 year olds, though.

• Options

7jxaY.jpg

In this particular example, she was in a show intended for 8 year olds, though.

That was my point, yeah.

If you're an 8 year old male and you're watching The Chipmunks and TMNT back-to-back, I would hope whatever prepubescent attraction you have toward the opposite sex would be centered toward the likes of April instead of Brittany.

I mean, I won't judge if you ended up having a thing for the former instead.

No, actually, yes I would. Sorry, but ew.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    you mean it's not okay to show adult women on a show for 8 year olds

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Man don't take this to a weird place fellas

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I thought the point was that these were essentially children being sexualized, like seeing an 8-year old modeling the latest in the Britney Spears* collection.

April was legal; species notwithstanding, the Chipettes were not.

* Insert someone more contemporary but still showy here.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Yeah.

That's creepy. I watched that video. There are pantie shots.

Why would you do that?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Yeah.

Why would you do that?

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    I thought the point was that these were essentially children being sexualized, like seeing an 8-year old modeling the latest in the Britney Spears* collection.

The point I was trying to make was that not every cartoon character with a vagina was created to tantalize viewers.

It's like that Cult of Gadget; just because some troubled adults interpreted the character as some sort of sexual goddess doesn't mean Disney was pandering to them in any way. The show was made for kids, to be interpreted by kids.

But then again I only vaguely remember the Chippettes, and I'm kind of afraid to look at the video only to end up eating my words.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Yeah.

Why would you do that?

Unfortunately things have only gotten weirder. Toddlers and Tiaras, for example. Shudder.

The latest generation has their own Cheetarah phase to go through with the latest Thundercats series. Her design makes 80's April O'Neill look like a nun. :mrgreen:

• Options
    Yeah.

Why would you do that?

Unfortunately things have only gotten weirder. Toddlers and Tiaras, for example. Shudder.

The latest generation has their own Cheetarah phase to go through with the latest Thundercats series. Her design makes 80's April O'Neill look like a nun. :mrgreen:

Cheetara's the reason we have so many damn furries out there.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Yeah.

Why would you do that?

Yep.

• Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I don't really know what to think about the Chipettes in that video. Yeah, there are panty-shots; on the one hand I could buy it as being meant to be desexualized (if you watch older cartoons or even older live-action films really young characters can show their underoos and it isn't a problem, the reason no one cares is because they are young enough that their being sexualized shouldn't even be an issue, and I guess this has changed). Maybe the animators were thinking, 'hey these are 8 year old chipmunk girls no one cares, no one is going to think this is sexy'. Or it could have very easily not have crossed their mind at all because, 'why on Earth would you think this is sexual eww, you're a perv for even thinking that'.

I don't care for the dance moves at all though, and they don't look very anthropomorphized either. As a little girl I really did not like the characters. I couldn't have put it into words as a youngster but the Chipettes were just so uncomfortable aggressive toward the trio and yeah, uncomfortably sexualized (even if that wasn't the intent that was how I saw it). Perhaps now I can reason why they are depicted that way and it doesn't bother me so much but it stands that as a child, I didn't care for them.

I don't mind Cheetarah's redesign. I do think she is sexier but her design is also super cool. I don't think I would have been bothered by her if I were a little girl watching the cartoon. I've seen the show with younger girls and the older ones laughingly say she looks sexy but not before saying she looks really pretty. A redesign that is perhaps more in line with the Chipettes is Wilykit from the 2011 Thundercats reboot:

WileyKit2.jpg

The reboot design is definitely showing more skin (fur?) but I'd be hardpressed to say the character is sexualized at all, even though her design/outfit makes pantyshots inevitable (her skirt is sort of shaped like flower petals). And yeah, there are 'pantyshots', but I've never gotten the sense that they were meant as source of titillation or that they ever disrespected the character, just a function of a creative outfit. The show has never been creepy about her.

So here we have Wilykit wearing less than in her first incarnation and I still I think she's a good contrast to the Chipettes, who somehow manage to make me wince.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    Aren't the Chippettes' dance moves based on actual dance moves from famous people and/or music videos?

• Options
    Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    Yes, this was just the 80's, a purely innocent time where children's entertainment was clean as a whistle. Why, I watched that chipmunk movie several times as a child, and The Chipettes never showed any semblance of sexualization within them at all. What are you all talking abo-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT1KPVXDoFE&feature=related

Oh.

also,
    ahh, my first boner

NO YOUTUBE COMMENTS NOOOOOOOO

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Yeah.

Why would you do that?

Personally I blame Maid Marian.

Maid-Marian-childhood-animated-movie-heroines-11563785-720-480.jpg

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    That always seems like the one movie Disney likes to keep swept under the rug.

You know, outside of Song of the South and The Black Cauldron.

• Options
    SiLlYxAzNSiLlYxAzN Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Dritz wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I think WB/CN has finally gotten past the whole superhero embargo thing. The existence of Green Lantern: The Badly Rendered Series hasn't prevented Young Justice from including Hal.

Just in time for Marvel to get concerned about it.

I'm sorry but what does Marvel have to do with DC? I mean last I checked Hal is from DC not Marvel....

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    ahh, my first boner

NO YOUTUBE COMMENTS NOOOOOOOO

This is basically the correct response to all Youtube comments.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    SiLlYxAzN wrote: »
    I think WB/CN has finally gotten past the whole superhero embargo thing. The existence of Green Lantern: The Badly Rendered Series hasn't prevented Young Justice from including Hal.

I'm sorry but what does Marvel have to do with DC? I mean last I checked Hal is from DC not Marvel....
    The DC cartoons are getting over the whole embargo thing just in time for Marvel based cartoons to start up with it.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »

The DC cartoons are getting over the whole embargo thing just in time for Marvel based cartoons to start up with it.

The only thing 'embargoed' are Spider-Man characters on any show NOT Spider-Man.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    SiLlYxAzNSiLlYxAzN Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Ohh ok....haven't really watched the cartoons. Well, more like I don't really care for them much. Stopped watching them after Batman Beyond came out.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Ohh ok....haven't really watched the cartoons. Well, more like I don't really care for them much. Stopped watching them after Batman Beyond came out.

There's good stuff being made. Young Justice, Ben 10: Ultimate Alien, Thundercats, Transformers Prime, G.I. Joe: Renegades, Venture Bros., Archer, Iron Man: Armored Adventures, Avengers: Earth Mightiest Heroes, Legend of Korra, Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular

The only thing 'embargoed' are Spider-Man characters on any show NOT Spider-Man.

I'm talking about rumors of EMH getting cancelled in favor of something that fits with USM

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    Godfather wrote: »

Robin Hood and Song of the South have one other thing in common: they're incredibly fucking boring.

sig.gif
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

I'm talking about rumors of EMH getting cancelled in favor of something that fits with USM

Spoiler from a future EMH episode:

Look closely.

avengers_emh_cameo_attach.jpg

Phillishere on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Godfather wrote: »

Robin Hood and Song of the South have one other thing in common: they're incredibly fucking boring.

What? Robin Hood was fantastic.

Phil:

Not seeing that picture.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    I think jailed people can't posts pictures

Look closely.

there, that should work

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    I think jailed people can't posts pictures

Look closely.

there, that should work

It's a bad link. Tried plugging it in old school and it still didn't work.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    I don't know what to tell you, I see it just fine

but since you asked so nicely I re-hosted
    0sjm6.jpg

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    I don't know what to tell you, I see it just fine

but since you asked so nicely I re-hosted
    0sjm6.jpg

Neat.

And thanks.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    That's awesome.

Edit: And looks like that's non-Skrull Captain America.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Watching this Young Justice majig.

It's alright so far.

Edit: I will say the cameos are outstanding.

Quid on
  • Options
    Okay now they are actually following up on something mentioned at the end of an episode.

Damn lucky kids these days.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I love Young Justice. I'm not surprised, given that the showrunner is the guy who created Gargoyles. Where you at, Quid?

Shadowen on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Shadowen wrote: »
    I love Young Justice. I'm not surprised, given that the showrunner is the guy who created Gargoyles. Where you at, Quid?
    #9 Bereft

I'm keeping with it since DCUA has generally been reliably awesome and it's starting to finally show. The teen angst is annoying at times but it's moving away from that and on to bigger stuff.

The Light seemed completely unconcerned with constant failure though AND FUCK ME THAT'S A BOOM TUBE THAT EXPLAINS IT

Quid on
  • Options
    And now I'm seeing actual Chinese while people are in Taiwan.

<3

• Options
    NovidNovid Registered User regular
    Some sad news to report, Buzz Potamkin passed away. He worked for the Berenstain Bears back in 1979... he created Southern Star Productions after being the dude who made famous "I want my MTV" ad campaign - still called one of the greatest ever made; who did animation work fro CBS Storybreak, Teen Wolf etc. He and Roy Disney were the people who produced the "All Stars to the Rescue" in 1990. He was the guy that helped Cartoon Networks Original animation unit which produced Power Puff Girls and Johnny Bravo. Did the WhirlGirl series but never finished the series.

cartoonbrew.com/animators/buzz-potamkin-1945-2012.html#comments Has more about it.

This discussion has been closed.