As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Portal 2! IT'S HERE! IT'S OUT!

• Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    tofu wrote: »
    Ending spoilers
    Being exposed to space would have killed you instantly, but this is a videogame full of magic-science so who cares
    nope.
    It's true that in the absence of ambient pressure your blood and other bodily fluids would boil, in the sense that they would turn to vapor. But that's not as drastic as it sounds. Your soft tissues would swell markedly, but they'd return to normal if you were recompressed within a short time.

It's conceivable your lungs might rupture, since in a vacuum the air in them would greatly expand. But experience suggests this is rare even if decompression is extremely rapid. The chances are much greater if your windpipe is closed, making it impossible for the expanding air to escape.

Death would not be instantaneous. It's believed you'd have 10-15 seconds of "useful consciousness" and it'd be several minutes before you'd die. If you were rescued within that time there's a decent chance you'd survive. Research with chimps and monkeys suggests that if you were exposed to a virtual vacuum for less than 90-120 seconds you might not suffer any permanent damage.

Gosh tofu, be less wrong please.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ok with PSN being down, will that effect my achievements, or will it sync back up with steam next time I connect

Sir Platypus on
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Scosglen wrote: »
    Ending
    Honestly I think the new Jonathon Coulton song is just something that had to be done for sake of tradition. It surprised nobody and it will not be a cult thing like Still Alive.

I was listening to some Portal 1 commentary and Ellen Mclain (GLaDOS) was talking about recording Still Alive and mentioned she was an operatic singer, which pretty neatly explains the new Turret Opera. I ended up enjoying the Opera even more than the new Coulton song honestly.
    Still Alive is definitely the better song, but "Under the circumstances/I've been shockingly nice" is such a good line

Green on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Re: The Ending
    I believe Rattman set up the turrets, and I think he did it long ago. Maybe not while he was mortally wounded, but after he had recovered some, or something. After all, the only exit was in Glados's room, in that elevator (the one with the breakers in it). You know you are going up, and Rattman would've known you would come through there as well.

Yeah.. he probably set it up between Portal 1 and 2.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    VicktorVicktor Infidel Castro Rancho ChupacabraRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Jephery wrote: »
    To set up the
    Turret Opera, like I said.
    That probably took a while.
    That wasn't GLaDOS. At least possibly not. I'm guessing you didn't find the room with them 'practicing' eary on in the game.
    It is after you activate GLaDOS, bot not long after. There's a Ratman den in the room where you first destroy a lot of turrets with the Thermal Discouragement Beam. I can't remember the test chamber number, but there's glass and turrets and a Weighted Pivot Cube used to burn them and explode them. There's a button that needs to be depressed to turn on the laser.

How to get there:
    As you walk into the test chamber, there's a turret behind a grate, seemingly out of place. You walk/run past him and he'll notice you (you can see his little beam shooting out) and it can be completely ignored for the rest of the test chamber. Don't. Use the discouragement beam to burn him and he will catch fire and explode like the other turrets, blowing the grate off of the wall. Crouch down and enter and it's a Ratman den. As you're entering, there's a big grate on the floor where you can see a series of turrets all practicing their 'opera'. The Fat Lady turret is down there too.
    This, coupled with the turret that you can save on the turret reclamation ride, and all the defective turrets, implies there may be some funny stuff going on with the turret AI programming. They have had a looong time to sit and think. After all.

edit: Athenor, like-minded crazed test subjects think alike! I, too, think it had to do with Ratman. Given that he did work with AI and all that.

Vicktor on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Viycktor
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Vacuums don't work like that. Your body is a closed atmospheric system that prevents your fluids from boiling. As long as you dont try to hold your breath you should be ok for about a minute. You'd probably pass out after 15-30 seconds though. The one thing I did take issue with is I'm pretty sure the decompression wouldn't happen nearly that quickly through a hole that small. 1 atmosphere difference is not a whole lot if I remember my physics right. But again, video games.

Mvrck on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Welp, got home, loaded up Portal in my PS3, and it wouldn't let me log into Steam because I wasn't logged into PSN. So much for that!
    Ok with PSN being down, will that effect my achievements, or will it sync back up with steam next time I connect

It's highly likely that you won't get Steam achievements when playing on your PS3, even if you get the matching trophy.

On the other hand, someone on these forums reported playing Steam in offline mode (on a PC, of course) and earning some achievements the other day, and when Steam went back online it did sync up for him, which didn't used to happen.

SteevL on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Vacuums don't work like that. Your body is a closed atmospheric system that prevents your fluids from boiling. As long as you dont try to hold your breath you should be ok for about a minute. You'd probably pass out after 15-30 seconds though. The one thing I did take issue with is I'm pretty sure the decompression wouldn't happen nearly that quickly through a hole that small. 1 atmosphere difference is not a whole lot if I remember my physics right. But again, video games.
    Relatively speaking it is a fairly large hole. Go watch BSG sometime for a show that got the physics of that kind of event right.

Also, huh.. I wonder if they took out the vacuum tube puzzles to make the ending have more weight?

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    tofu wrote: »
    Ending spoilers
    Being exposed to space would have killed you instantly, but this is a videogame full of magic-science so who cares

I ... don't think that's accurate at all.

ugh, so beat

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I was more referring to its size relative to the earth. Most representations of that kind of decompression come from relatively small ships with limited atmosphere, so a proportionally larger amount of air can try to escape at once. This is literally trying to suck out all of the atmosphere of the planet.

Mvrck on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ending
    I liked the JC song. Not as much as Still Alive, but it's still a good composition.

This is basically my feelings on it.

Also, unrelated, but even if Smash TV wasn't an achievement, it would be worth it to hear Wheatley's comments each time.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Vicktor wrote: »
    To set up the
    That wasn't GLaDOS. At least possibly not. I'm guessing you didn't find the room with them 'practicing' eary on in the game.
    It is after you activate GLaDOS, bot not long after. There's a Ratman den in the room where you first destroy a lot of turrets with the Thermal Discouragement Beam. I can't remember the test chamber number, but there's glass and turrets and a Weighted Pivot Cube used to burn them and explode them. There's a button that needs to be depressed to turn on the laser.

How to get there:
    As you walk into the test chamber, there's a turret behind a grate, seemingly out of place. You walk/run past him and he'll notice you (you can see his little beam shooting out) and it can be completely ignored for the rest of the test chamber. Don't. Use the discouragement beam to burn him and he will catch fire and explode like the other turrets, blowing the grate off of the wall. Crouch down and enter and it's a Ratman den. As you're entering, there's a big grate on the floor where you can see a series of turrets all practicing their 'opera'. The Fat Lady turret is down there too.
    This, coupled with the turret that you can save on the turret reclamation ride, and all the defective turrets, implies there may be some funny stuff going on with the turret AI programming. They have had a looong time to sit and think. After all.

edit: Athenor, like-minded crazed test subjects think alike!
    Some of his other dens support this too. In one of the Hard Light Bridge chambers, you can find a circular room in a fan shaft that has a model of the opera made out of coffee cups. The painting from this page of the comic is behind it.

knell.jpg

Someone here compared the turret opera to angels singing to Chell as she rose up out of hell.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    AaronKI wrote: »
    To set up the

How to get there:

Some of his other dens support this too. In one of the Hard Light Bridge chambers, you can find a circular room in a fan shaft that has a model of the opera made out of coffee cups. The painting from this page of the comic is behind it.

knell.jpg

Someone here compared the turret opera to angels singing to Chell as she rose up out of hell.
    I know I made that analogy, so that may have been me... and now I wonder if I actually missed this room. I'll say this. The puzzles seemed easier in P2, but the Ratman dens are much more well hidden. I like the 'bell' shaped curve in the picture. I need to go do a second, slower play-through soon.

Vicktor on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Anyone else find the lighting in the game really eerie? I mean... I don't know if this qualifies as spoilers or not, perhaps endgame ones, but..
    All the light in the salt mines.. ALL OF IT.. is artificial. It looks like sunlight throughout most of the game, especially early when the place is a wreck. But no. No part of the salt mines was ever exposed to the sunlight,
    But part of Wheatley's chamber near the absolute end was within spitting distance of the surface and saw moonlight,
    So.. yeah. The plants, the animals, all of them lived in the underground ecosystem, powered by a nuke plant.

Athenor on
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Athenor wrote: »
    Anyone else find the lighting in the game really eerie? I mean... I don't know if this qualifies as spoilers or not, perhaps endgame ones, but..
    All the light in the salt mines.. ALL OF IT.. is artificial. It looks like sunlight throughout most of the game, especially early when the place is a wreck. But no. No part of the salt mines was ever exposed to the sunlight,
    But part of Wheatley's chamber near the absolute end was within spitting distance of the surface and saw moonlight,
    So.. yeah. The plants, the animals, all of them lived in the underground ecosystem, powered by a nuke plant.
    GLaDOS explains early on that they keep the lighting as close to sunlight as possible and pump adrenaline? (think that's what she said) into the air. I order to keep the test subjects awake and distort there sense of the passage of time. Something to that affect.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Regarding turrets:
    Actually, they don't normally have a long time to sit and think. The developer commentary has a track that explains they developed an entire life cycle for them.

1. Machining of parts
    2. Assembly
    3. Testing and/or boxing
    4. Unboxing
    5. Disassembly
    6. Recycling

So basically, any turrets not stolen by Ratman or in use in test chambers are constantly created and destroyed in a never-ending cycle. With the exception of the packaging apparently. The developer stated they envisioned a giant pile of discarded boxes somewhere underground.

Seems to support the Ratman creating the choir theory, but it's another thing we'll never know for sure.

Regarding the size of the Enrichment Center:
    We know there are at least 9 shafts in the mine, the base of which is roughly 2 and half miles down. Not to mention, the upper layers are most likely all connected now, and highly reconfigurable, so you could switch between the same two rooms a lot, one reconfiguring into another test chamber when you aren't in it. There's tons of space down there.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Athenor wrote: »
    'Real' sunlight was used to power the light bridges. So some is harvested! Allegedly. But yeah.

Wheatley's chamber was probably similarly located to GLaDOS's chamber (I mean, it's the same chamber right? I know they can move... but.). And when destroying GLaDOS at the end of Portal, we were all sucked up to the surface. It was far, but not necessarily THAT far up. Meaning the 'control' chamber, even if moved, was probably centrally located and towards the top of the facility. We always are made to go 'up' before reaching the 'GLaDOS' chamber, which is why I get that impression.

Ancillary note, when you first get to the last funnel that you take to get to Wheatley's 'lair' you see some bombs in the funnel that are sent there from the pipes over the funnel. I *just* realized that we rode the funnel that he set up to deliver the bombs he used in the end; at the end of that funnel is a small hole that the bombs fit through, but Chell can't. So many great details.

Vicktor on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    AaronKI wrote: »
    To set up the

How to get there:

knell.jpg

I know I made that analogy, so that may have been me... and now I wonder if I actually missed this room. I'll say this. The puzzles seemed easier in P2, but the Ratman dens are much more well hidden. I like the 'bell' shaped curve in the picture. I need to go do a second, slower play-through soon.

Spoiler from the comic concerning the den in question:
    http://www.thinkwithportals.com/comic/#27

It actually is a bell curve. I chopped the top off on my screenshot, but he copied the tenacity distribution chart from her files onto the wall.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just finished the co-op with a mate.

I liked the puzzles, but the 'story' was awfull. For some reason GlaDos rants got old real fast. It's almost as if someone else wrote the dialogue for this. The delivery seemed a bit off. The single player was great, with a neat little story and some great really funny dialogue and delivery, nice puzzles and some epic scenes.
    The co-op realy feels like just some (well thought out) challenge chambers but with two players. The co-op story feels really tacked on.
    Still a great game though.

Single player: 9
    Co-op: 7,5

Alphagaia on
    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The only thing I don't like about the lighting is, shouldn't the portal guns bullet (portal? laser? whatever it is) leave a blue or orange shade on things as it flies by them? It's kind of wierd to see super advanced lighting on stuff but then that happens.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Hank_ScorpioHank_Scorpio Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Mvrck wrote: »

That's seriously the most minor nitpick I've heard in regards to this game. The better the game, the harder people dig to find faults I suppose.

Hank_Scorpio on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The...

The story was awful?

Please look away while I vomit all over this person.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The only thing I don't like about the lighting is, shouldn't the portal guns bullet (portal? laser? whatever it is) leave a blue or orange shade on things as it flies by them? It's kind of wierd to see super advanced lighting on stuff but then that happens.

That's not blue and orange light.

It's dye.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    AlwaysNewDepthsAlwaysNewDepths Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So does anyone know where in the game The National's song shows up? I missed it.

AlwaysNewDepths on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    You know... Another thing.

This game was actually really easy. Occasionally I had to stare at a portal a few times, but... for the most part there were often more portable surfaces than a really clever person needed...

This comes off as patronizing to people who had a difficult time with the game.

Hank_Scorpio on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    So does anyone know where in the game The National's song shows up? I missed it.

The first Ratman den. In chapter 2 I believe.
    It's the chamber where you have two lasers, and use the portal and a redirection cube to hit two different laser receptacles. You have to put the cube on some raised panels.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I feel safe in saying that Portal 2 is a tougher, more complex game than Portal 1.

I think a lot of people forgot how straightforward Portal 1 generally was, especially if you've played it through many times already and already quite familiar about how the basic mechanics work going into Portal 2.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    mr-razzcocksmr-razzcocks Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The...

The story was awful?

Please look away while I vomit all over this person.

I think he was talking specifically about the co-op campaign

mr-razzcocks on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

This game was actually really easy. Occasionally I had to stare at a portal a few times, but... for the most part there were often more portable surfaces than a really clever person needed...

Honestly, I think less portalable surfaces would make it EASIER to figure things out.

I mean, if there are only two valid portal locations in a room, then that takes all the solving out of the puzzle.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'd say the difficulty was about the same overall, whether it's hard or not depends on how good you are at spotting specific things. I got stuck pretty bad on the part where (late-game puzzle)
    you have to climb upwards through that really tall chamber using stuff like high-level momentum jumps and whatnot, with the finale being that large shaft thing where you have to spray portal gel all over the interior of the shaft by launching it off a surface behind a grill
    because I tend to suck at spotting little things like that.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Zxerol wrote: »
    I feel safe in saying that Portal 2 is a tougher, more complex game than Portal 1.

I think a lot of people forgot how straightforward Portal 1 generally was, especially if you've played it through many times already and already quite familiar about how the basic mechanics work going into Portal 2.

There were quite a few chambers in Portal 1 that gave me a much harder time than anything in Portal 2. That's also completely ignoring Portal 1's advanced chambers, which is a concept that I hope will show up as DLC at some point.

Burnage on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Honestly, I think less portalable surfaces would make it EASIER to figure things out.

I mean, if there are only two valid portal locations in a room, then that takes all the solving out of the puzzle.

Yeah, exactly.

Hank_Scorpio on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The co-op campaign wasn't really story driven the way the single-player was. The co-op can be done in almost an infinite variety of orders depending on who you do it with, which makes any type of storytelling difficult.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The idea that the portal fires liquid is pretty great

I don't think it works though, unless it's some crazy super speed zero mass liquid

Which is possible

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Burnage wrote: »
    Zxerol wrote: »

There were quite a few chambers in Portal 1 that gave me a much harder time than anything in Portal 2. That's also completely ignoring Portal 1's advanced chambers, which is a concept that I hope will show up as DLC at some point.

Yeah, I actually miss the advanced challenge maps. Mostly because, after going through the SP and coop, I have no more science to do. And that makes me sad.

edit: but again, you've practiced through the entire Portal campaign and its challenge maps, so you've already well-versed in thinking with portals. So, naturally, Portal 2 is going to seem like an easier experience. I'm thinking anyone who's starting with P2 will feel just as lost as when we played the first game all those years ago, especially with all the different mechanics the second game has.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    bahahahahahaha
    What Does a Neckbearded Scientist Know About Fashion?

oh man Glados is so great

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

That's not blue and orange light.

It's dye.

Orly?

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    edited April 2011

I don't think it works though, unless it's some crazy super speed zero mass liquid

Which is possible

I dunno about the portal itself.

I just meant the edges. They're dye. The schematic in the long-fall boots promo show dye reservoirs (among other things)

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

Which is possible

I dunno about the portal itself.

I just meant the edges. They're dye. The schematic in the long-fall boots promo show dye reservoirs (among other things)

Yeah I wouldn't really trust that video... it also lists 'Minature Surplus German Stick Grenade(2)' as one of the parts. :P

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I don't want to live a world where my portal gun doesn't have miniature potato mashers built-in.

Zxerol on
This discussion has been closed.