As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEλM] - Cthulhu Saves the World is Coming to Steam

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Sid Meiers Pirates is great, until you have to sail east.

edit

And I understood it as most Simcity 4's problems were related to video issues with modern video cards.

I have a 5770!

Same, no problems here with sim city 4. I have an HD 5830, win 7 64 bit, a pretty up to date rig and it all played fine.

Casual on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sounds like an Nvidia problem.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Triple B wrote: »
    So....halp.

I'm interested in a relatively new game. I don't mind paying full price. Now that I've been talked out of buying the Kalypso pack, I have no idea what game to buy. I was almost sold on Brink, but I really am more interested in single-player right now. Something with a decent campaign. I didn't care for Metro 2033 (I know, right?) at all. I'm considering picking up BFBC2, though I did already play it on 360. Any recommendations? Anything action-y, really.

Crysis 2 is pretty great.

LewieP on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    BC2's campaign is awful, but as you presumably know, the MP is pretty awesome, especially with a mouse.

If you're looking for SP though, I'd recommend Arkham Asylum, Mirror's Edge, and more recently, Just Cause 2 as all being excellent single-player games. Stalker: Call of Pripyat as well, though depending on what you didn't like about Metro maybe not. Despite its shortcomings, I had a lot of fun with Splinter Cell: Conviction as well. As an added bonus, all of these games are $20 or less except Arkham at $30.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So....halp.

I'm interested in a relatively new game. I don't mind paying full price. Now that I've been talked out of buying the Kalypso pack, I have no idea what game to buy. I was almost sold on Brink, but I really am more interested in single-player right now. Something with a decent campaign. I didn't care for Metro 2033 (I know, right?) at all. I'm considering picking up BFBC2, though I did already play it on 360. Any recommendations? Anything action-y, really.

Stalker is on sale for $5 on D2D. Not sure what you didn't like about Metro so maybe you won't like it.

Bad Company 2's campaign is pretty terrible.

double edit I see you don't have Just Cause 2. Buy that if you don't like the looks of Stalker.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Crysis looks better than a lot of new games out now, as well.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The original Crysis is definitely a much better experience then Crysis 2 which is largely forgettable and yes that includes graphics, if you get Crysis Warhead you get both the original and the expansion that came out. But if your one of those few people who have not yet played the Batman game I suggest that as well, it's outstanding.

Heard good things about Just Cause 2 as well.

Cade on
  • Options
    cwapfobrainscwapfobrains Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    So....halp.

Stalker is on sale for $5 on D2D. Not sure what you didn't like about Metro so maybe you won't like it.

double edit I see you don't have Just Cause 2. Buy that if you don't like the looks of Stalker.

Just Cause 2 is fantastic. Story is forgettable, but it is just so much fun to play.

cwapfobrains on
    camo_sig.png
    LoL Summoner: infobrains | XBL: cwap4brains | PSN: infobrains
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Quick question about Stalker, is there any version of that is best to get?

I've seen people say the expansion was better and some argued the original was so any recommendations there?

Sadly it's not on special right now on Steam which is disappointing.

Cade on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Shadow of Chernobyl with mods is the best, Call of Pripyat is technically the better vanilla but I don't think it hits the atmospheric highs of the first game. Clear Sky is still good but the weakest of the three.

I'd say pick up SoC.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Cade wrote: »

I've seen people say the expansion was better and some argued the original was so any recommendations there?

Shadows of Chernobyl has awesome mods. This is the main reason to get it. I think the Pripyat mod tools were only released a few months ago. So yeah.

You can pretty much get a totally awesomely modded and reskinned version of Shadows that looks and plays like liquid Win.

This is why I suggest it.

Also, I hear good things of Crysis 2. Even Yahtzee said good things as long as I ignore the story. Which is fine. So I still want to get it...

Course, what I really want is Bulletstorm. It still looks to tickle some childish funnybone.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Igel wrote: »
    I am going to recommend the Patrician series heartily to anyone who likes economy and trading type games.

My favorite thing about the series is how the world responds to your actions. Cities grow based on how well you take care of them, far more than I ever thought they would. Shipwrights get better the more you use their facilities (at least in Patrician 3) and it's all the little things that make the whole thing feel more alive.

Anyway, it's one of the best economics focused games I've played.

Maybe I haven't given it enough of a chance yet, but my memory of my short time playing Patrician4 was:

1) move ship
    2) move slider bar
    3) goto 1

Does it go beyond this?

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Shadow of Chernobyl with the 2009 Complete overhaul mod is breathtaking, and fixes a lot of the awkward mechanics it had to make it more playable while still being STALKER. Call of Pripyat is great vanilla. Can't speak personally for Clear Sky but a lot of people seem to dislike it.

CheesecakeRecipe on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I think SoC is great vanilla, I haven't ever used any mods with it. I can't say about the two expansions though, haven't played them yet.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So....halp.

Just Cause 2 is fantastic. Story is forgettable, but it is just so much fun to play.

I was just coming in here to post that.
    It's such an awesome, juvenile game. Sooo much fun.

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    ColorlessGreenColorlessGreen Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I am going to recommend the Patrician series heartily to anyone who likes economy and trading type games.

My favorite thing about the series is how the world responds to your actions. Cities grow based on how well you take care of them, far more than I ever thought they would. Shipwrights get better the more you use their facilities (at least in Patrician 3) and it's all the little things that make the whole thing feel more alive.

Maybe I haven't given it enough of a chance yet, but my memory of my short time playing Patrician4 was:

1) move ship
    2) move slider bar
    3) goto 1

Does it go beyond this?

How dare you use goto?

while (entertainment > 0)
    {
    move_ship()
    move_slider_bar()
    }

ColorlessGreen on
    Hearthstone (NA, EU, Asia): Ceegee#1473 - spectators welcome.
  • Options
    EggPuppetEggPuppet Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    so aside from Tropico 3 and Serious Sam HD, which are both cheap as dirt right now and a ton of fun to play (and have demos available), I'd second the recommendations for Crysis and Just Cause 2.

Stalker is a pretty weird game that can be fun if you're on the same wavelength as the developers, and that wavelength is all about mutant dogs and shooting filthy hobos so you can steal their succulent canned meats.

EggPuppet on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    EggPuppet wrote: »
    so aside from Tropico 3 and Serious Sam HD, which are both cheap as dirt right now and a ton of fun to play (and have demos available), I'd second the recommendations for Crysis and Just Cause 2.

Stalker is a pretty weird game that can be fun if you're on the same wavelength as the developers, and that wavelength is all about mutant dogs and shooting filthy hobos so you can steal their succulent canned meats.

Stalker is a Russia simulator. Trust me, I'm a doctor!

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011

SOLD.

Wait for a moment there I thought you said you could chop them up for succulent meat, ah well, still good enough!

Cade on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

SOLD.

Wait for a moment there I thought you said you could chop them up for succulent meat, ah well, still good enough!

You can sorta chop em up if you lead em into anomalies that pull them into the sky and whirl them around a tiny point until they fly out into chunks.

While you're doing that of course you may be attacked by a pack of wild dogs or rats.

Swings and roundabouts.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I really want to love stalker. I've installed it several times only to never make it longer than 2 hours into the game. There's just something about it that doesn't click at all with me.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

1) move ship
    2) move slider bar
    3) goto 1

Does it go beyond this?

How dare you use goto?

{
    move_ship()
    move_slider_bar()
    }

goto hell

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    EggPuppetEggPuppet Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Barrabas wrote: »
    I really want to love stalker. I've installed it several times only to never make it longer than 2 hours into the game. There's just something about it that doesn't click at all with me.

It gets better when you get to the hub area. Your choices open up, the sci-fi gets turned up a little, and you're probably getting into some decent weapons.

It's always janky and bizarre, though.

EggPuppet on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

1) move ship
    2) move slider bar
    3) goto 1

Does it go beyond this?

How dare you use goto?

{
    move_ship()
    move_slider_bar()
    }

goto hell
    Hah! This exchange totally made my day.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    if you're looking for a fantastic campaign, dead space 2 has a great one

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    edited May 2011

1) move ship
    2) move slider bar
    3) goto 1

Does it go beyond this?

How dare you use goto?

{
    move_ship()
    move_slider_bar()
    }

goto hell

Well played.

ColorlessGreen on
  • Options
    IgelIgel Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

1) move ship
    2) move slider bar
    3) goto 1

Does it go beyond this?

Well, in as much as it is a game about moving resources about a lot of that happens. But I was under the impression that once you got your financial legs under you you sally forth and climb political ranks/make sure cities grow/fend off sieges/Build new cities et cetera.

There's a good bit there but whether that is appealing to you I dunno.

(At least, in Patrician 3 you could found a new city.)

Igel on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'd skip Crysis for now solely because it's $40 to get both of them (Crysis and Warhead) in the Maximum Edition, and I got that package on sale over a year ago for $13 and it's been on sale several times since. Probably will be if there's a summer sale again this year, despite having been on the EA sale just a week ago, so I'd wait.

Also applicable to Deus Ex.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'd skip Crysis for now solely because it's $40 to get both of them (Crysis and Warhead) in the Maximum Edition, and I got that package on sale over a year ago for $13 and it's been on sale several times since. Probably will be if there's a summer sale again this year, despite having been on the EA sale just a week ago, so I'd wait.

A year ago? Try like a few days ago

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Just pick up Stalker on D2D. Problem solved~

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Spoit wrote: »

A year ago? Try like a few days ago

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So....halp.

When it isn't crashing constantly or giving you blue screens, in my case.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This is how I'd sum up the STALKER series thus far:

Shadow of Chernobyl: Really good, atmosphere out the yin-yang, but unless you're willing to overlook some pretty annoying design decisions/cut features (lack of readily available repair services, lack of anything approaching fast travel, no ability to sleep, guns break in no time flat, human enemies spam grenades with laser precision) you probably want to mod it. Complete is good and LURK can probably be avoided nowadays as it's pretty much a "go hardcore or go home" mod in its current incarnation.

Clear Sky: Also fun, but lacks a lot of the STALKER charm, since there are heavily-armed friendlies damn near everywhere and you can see monster spawns on the PDA map. The faction system is neat, albeit pretty much non-functional (and a recent patch removed it entirely if I recall) and it's very easy to break a lot of quests. The weapon mod system is great, though it pretty much means that once you find an Abakan and kit it out, you don't ever really need another gun in the entire game. Mod support is pretty much nonexistent aside from Complete; if you find one of the old STALKER threads and see Faction Commander mentioned as a mod to get for CS, don't. It breaks the game and not in a fun way. All in all, CS is a typical 90's/early 2000's-style "improve the gameplay/UI while losing a lot of the charm of the previous game" sequel.

Call of Pripyat: Consensus is that it's almost as good as, if not equal to, SoC, and I tend to agree. It strikes a balance between the "you're on your own in a place that is trying to kill you" atmosphere of SoC and the "populated zone" feel of CS. It's also the most complete-feeling of the series, with few to no real egregious flaws warranting modder attention out of the box. The weapon mod system is expanded and not nearly as unbalanced as CS', the quests are interesting, and the gunplay is easily the most solid of the series. It's got some downsides, though. While individual areas are larger, there's relatively little to explore compared to SoC and even CS. If a weapon is more than even slightly damaged, it's worthless to sell to traders, who won't even take it, which leads to lots and lots of pointless loot that does nothing but clutter up areas. Quest triggers are often times hard to get to trip and some of the quest notes are quite vague, leaving you scratching your head wondering what you're supposed to do. Other than those minor gripes it's an incredibly fun game. The only mod I know of for it that's worth even bothering with is one that allows you to sell damaged guns, and even that may not be to your taste if you feel it gives too much money. Artistpavel is working on Pripyat Complete, which I will be interested in seeing what he does with it, due to CoP being the most feature-complete of the series as well as the X-Ray Engine the game runs having been beefed up significantly.

I'd personally rate the series: CoP > SoC >>>> CS, but any three are good to jump in to. CS or CoP's gameplay systems may spoil you a bit if you go back to SoC though.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Echo wrote: »
    So, Terraria is apparently out on Steam on Monday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGo7iMUcxLc

Do we have any idea if it's awesome? I mean, it looks kinda awesome? But it also looks a bit rough around the edges.

Frem on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Frem wrote: »
    I mean, it looks kinda awesome? But it also looks a bit rough around the edges.

It is a minecraft clone, after all.

ColorlessGreen on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Echo wrote: »
    So, Terraria is apparently out on Steam on Monday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGo7iMUcxLc

Do we have any idea if it's awesome? I mean, it looks kinda awesome? But it also looks a bit rough around the edges.
    Monday? Yesss. It looks awesome. There are some let's plays on youtube.

edit: Also, how do we know Monday? It's not in the coming soon section.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

1) move ship
    2) move slider bar
    3) goto 1

Does it go beyond this?

Uh yeah, just a little. Your aim in the game is to build a merchant empire. You'll want to start out doing what you're doing, trading manually. Once you get an idea of what prices you should be buying and selling things out, you want to set up a trade route You'll eventually have many convoys each doing different routes. As you're doing this, you're also going to want to start setting up production buildings to make the things you sell, making your profit margins greater. As you do this, you'll work on your political aspirations, like becoming mayor of a town (letting you direct its growth and research), and rise in the Hanseatic League. Eventually you can build new cities. You'll also have to deal with rivals and pirates.

Just play the campaign. It's one big tutorial.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I mean, it looks kinda awesome? But it also looks a bit rough around the edges.

It is a minecraft clone, after all.

Well, no.

It's like Minecraft insomuch that you can craft stuff, and can host a server and do multiplayer. The rest is like a Metroidvania action adventure.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Minecraft and Metroidvania might be the greatest combination ever.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Day 1 purchase right here!

L Ron Howard on
This discussion has been closed.