Options

Happy Easter - a history lesson within

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Well some people, espically the older crowd, can't ever shake what they were taught. My beliefs are different and sort of odd, but I believe in Jesus, and I know that if he lived in the Middle East, we would be Middle Eastern. Thats just basic geography.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    HEY GUYS RELIGION AM I RIGHT WHAT'S THAT ALL ABOUT

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    there's no such thing as religion

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    well what else am I going to use as an opiate for these masses

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    HEY GUYS RELIGION AM I RIGHT WHAT'S THAT ALL ABOUT
    sit down, shut up and drop the money in the basket as it passes

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Religion is what gave me lamb and ham and sweet potato casserol and home made bread and imported Italian wine today. Religion and I are ok.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My crazy D/FW megachurch racist aunt-

"Plus those Mexicans are all...Catholic."

Weaver on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Weaver wrote: »
    My crazy D/FW megachurch racist aunt-

"Plus those Mexicans are all...Catholic."

Just like that dirty Borgia pope, am I right

Hunter on
  • Options
    ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    rfilyaw wrote: »
    I remember this historical forensics show or something that was like 'Here we have a skull that's most likely the size and shape of Jesus, considering his ethnicity, region, lineage, etc." Then they do that thing where they add the clay onto the skull to make it onto a face and add all the hair. "As you can see, he looks NOTHING like what ANYONE thinks as shown on films, in paintings and other art." But really the mockup just looked pretty much the same as all the pictures depict, if a bit more middle-eastern.

I just thought it was kind of funny how we have some weird new fad where we insist that everything in history is nothing like we think. I remember being taught that those who built the pyramids were slaves, then suddenly they were just workers in a high class society, now I think they were just paupers with terrible living conditions. It's okay to want to find the truth, but people tend to leap gung-ho into any new hypothesis that comes along, which is as unhelpful as holding onto untruths.

I always expect to turn on the news to find out that the new popular theory is that Lincoln was actually Chinese and his original surname was Ling Un.

Neanderthal?
    brown-jesus.jpg

Jesus?
    adult_male_neanderthal-tm.jpg%3Fw%3D304%26h%3D350

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    what

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Well I guess we'll find out next month.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    look,

Even if Jesus wasn't real, the central message is something everyone should get behind

Treat others the way you want them to treat you is solid advice

A pity that this message gets lost in all the shuffle

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I don't want to point fingers but didn't Jesus steal most of his message from Buddha?

Anyway, Easter isn't about Jesus when you think about it. It's about slapping butts, waterfights, eggs and bunnies and other festivities!

(the answer to who is who on the last page is the "Neanderthal?" picture is of Jesus and the "Jesus?" picture is of a hypothetical Neanderthal)

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Shanadeus wrote: »
    I don't want to point fingers but didn't Jesus steal most of his message from Buddha?

kinda

Jesus wants you to love everyone unconditionally, while Buddha would have you forsake all attachment of any kind. He would have you display compassion for all living things, however, which could be defined as a sort of unconditional love.
    starwars3_02.jpg
    I am not sorry

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Shanadeus wrote: »

Anyway, Easter isn't about Jesus when you think about it. It's about slapping butts, waterfights, eggs and bunnies and other festivities!

(the answer to who is who on the last page is the "Neanderthal?" picture is of Jesus and the "Jesus?" picture is of a hypothetical Neanderthal)

oh

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Thanks to the Royal wedding and Easter and some choice scheduled days off, by this time next week I'll have had five consecutive four day weekends.

Sometimes these things just fall into place so nicely.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    would a poor carpenter in the middle east know about some dude in india to steal his ideas

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    would a poor carpenter in the middle east know about some dude in india to steal his ideas

extremely doubtful

also, jesus was actually not even a carpenter

the more precise translation would be handyman

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    PiptheFair wrote: »

extremely doubtful

also, jesus was actually not even a carpenter

the more precise translation would be handyman

it was

sort of a rhetorical question

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    so's your face

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    :(.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Sort of like that weird King Arthur movie that was actually really awesome.

Are you referring to The Last Legion, with Colin Firth? That movie ended up way cooler than I thought it would.

Unless you are just talking about King Arthur with Clive Owen because I hated that movie.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Crashmo wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Sort of like that weird King Arthur movie that was actually really awesome.

Are you referring to The Last Legion, with Colin Firth? That movie ended up way cooler than I thought it would.

Unless you are just talking about King Arthur with Clive Owen because I hated that movie.

yeah, until you got to see Keira Nightley almost naked and painted with woad. that shit ruled.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I can't believe that more people don't understand the Easter joke. Jesus was a carpenter who died with his hands nailed to boards. It isn't funny anymore because humor has evolved but back in the day that shit was straight up funny.

Ironic deaths or near deaths where bread and butter to old school myths. Look at the fisherman Jonah who got swallowed whole by a fish.

The fertility story of Easter gets ignored also. Jesus is the symbolic penis of god. He goes into a cave or hole in the earth and stays for a bit before leaving. After that new life is generated for the whole world. That is straight up paganism. Anyone who has studied more than a few religions has heard the same story over and over again but some of the most "religious" people I know aren't even shown the surface of the symbolisms.

Without a working knowledge of astronomy and astrology most Christians won't have a chance in hell of seeing the procession of the equinoxes in myth. The cosmic bull of sumer or the golden calf of the age of taurus giving way to the rams and lambs of the Abrahamic faiths (age of aries) which in turn were replaced by the Fish during the age of Pieces and now the eagles (the age of Aquarius).

Most the jews and christians I know who take their religion seriously place a lot of value on tradition and their place in a long line of devout followers. I think it is unfair that they are discouraged from placing their faith in the greater context and the greater tradition. It is something I feel they would appreciate and honor but even though the knowledge is out there it seems that barriers to understanding are constantly put in their way.

Foolproof on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Hello foolproof

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    don't encourage him

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    That bill nye thing is dumb but it's also two years old

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    don't encourage him

I gave him a cordial greeting!

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    double post

Foolproof on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Hello foolproof

Howdy!

Mix-Meister of Master Swords and Mushrooms

I was out mushroom hunting all day, boy are my feet sore.

Foolproof on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Foolproof wrote: »
    Without a working knowledge of astronomy and astrology most Christians won't have a chance in hell of seeing the procession of the equinoxes in myth. The cosmic bull of sumer or the golden calf of the age of taurus giving way to the rams and lambs of the Abrahamic faiths (age of aries) which in turn were replaced by the Fish during the age of Pieces and now the eagles (the age of Aquarius).

LSD's a hell of a drug.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Foolproof wrote: »

LSD's a hell of a drug.

Yeah it is but whats that got to do with my quote? Sometimes you need to use your words if you are upset or want to communicate. We all know you can do it if you just apply yourself. Come on, you can do it.

Foolproof on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think he was asking if you know a guy

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    God no. How I want to be treated is going to often be understandably very different from how another person wants to be treated.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    just making an observation

also

do you know a guy?

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    AgahnimAgahnim Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Foolproof what do you think of the ancient mayan and their space ships

Agahnim on
    2.jpg
    3DS FC: 2148-8300-8608 WiiU: AgahnimD
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Couscous wrote: »
    God no. How I want to be treated is going to often be understandably very different from how another person wants to be treated.

It's almost as if you are considering the letter of the rule to the point that you have lost track of it's spirit

No, no that can't be right

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    just making an observation

also

do you know a guy?

Fuck knowing guys, read a book.

Go natural and avoid the LSD altogether. That is just some first generation CIA mind control drug anyway.

Find the magic mushrooms that you can grow or gather yourself. You can buy the spawn from the internets. That way you can always make your own penicillin since peninillium fungus is usually so easy to grow that it is considered a pest.

You can also turn straw and wood into food without sunlight once you can cultivate fungus. Might come in handy to be equipped and able to make your own food and medicine in case of nuclear winter or similar trouble.

Foolproof on
  • Options
    GeoMitchGeoMitch Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    does anybody imagine foolproof's posts being narrated by his avatar?

i do

GeoMitch on
    Gamertag: GeoMtch Steam Google+
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    GeoMitch wrote: »
    does anybody imagine foolproof's posts being narrated by his avatar?

i do

I do this with everyone.

I don't know how jail bars can talk but that's what you sound like right now.

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link