As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The TV Thread: More for Less

1929394959698»

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    My C2 constantly asks me to do the pixel refresher thing and then I yell at it and it cries

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I think there is a bug with it. I have a c2 77 and I was having it come up constantly. Someone on a reddit mentioned just unplugging, letting it discharge. I did that and it asked once more and then finally took a break from bugging me on it.

• Options
    I actually just bought my girlfriend a C3 65. It's coming tomorrow. Will see if that exhibits the same behavior. I'm assuming it won't.

• Options
    Does anyone know if you can change the MENU font size on the LG C3? I know you can change subtitle font size but my girlfriend is asking if the menu font size can be made larger. Nothing in accessibility settings or general settings or anything I can find - I'm wondering if there's a secret menu you all may know about.

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Thinking about upgrading our bedroom TV to a 43", which is the biggest that will fit in the space without looking ridiculous

It will not see heavy use, never be turned on during the day, and will never have a videogame console hooked up to it. Streaming/Plex only.

I don't really want to shell out $900 for an LG C3 OLED, and there's really not much recommended online below that price point until you get to the $150-$250 stuff from Hisense. Any recommendations?

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Honestly at 43".. anything? The HiSense or TCL might look better on the wall (I think they're a bit thinner), but you're not going to notice much of a quality difference on most of them unless you dip into the Fire TVs.

I would recommend going with one of the cheaper ones, never connect it to the Internet, and hook up an AppleTV to it.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Awesome, yeah that matches what I've seen online. I'm going to try and pick up either one of the A65K models from Hisense or the Roku-branded TV recommended by RTings.

Seems like there's not much worthwhile between $300 and $900

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    Nope! At that size you're not going to see much difference between the low and high end really, it's just what flavor of UI you want. And with the way these companies are fucking around with ads and personal data, better to just attach an AppleTV and be done with it.

• Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    I got a 65” Samsung OLED S95C to replace my old 55” Panasonic plasma ST60. It’s a very nice upgrade. Plus, the new TV won’t heat up my living room during the summer months.

Now, can I speak to whoever designed the terrible on-screen volume display?

Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    Oh yeah, Samsung has a terrible UI.

I mean LG's newer UI is just barely less crap, but..

• Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    edited April 21
    So, to avoid seeing that terrible Samsung volume overlay and still require as few remotes as possible, I ended up installing Homebridge on my Synology.

Now I can control TV, AV receiver, and AppleTV from my phone and I also have shortcuts I can run with one tap or by asking Siri.

physi_marc on
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    I can see the appeal of the all in one, but all the companies do such a crap job, I can't picture a world where I wouldn't have an AVR/Soundbar + external streaming device instead.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45