Options

The TV Thread: More for Less

1929394959698»

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    My C2 constantly asks me to do the pixel refresher thing and then I yell at it and it cries

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I think there is a bug with it. I have a c2 77 and I was having it come up constantly. Someone on a reddit mentioned just unplugging, letting it discharge. I did that and it asked once more and then finally took a break from bugging me on it.

• Options
    I actually just bought my girlfriend a C3 65. It's coming tomorrow. Will see if that exhibits the same behavior. I'm assuming it won't.

• Options
    Does anyone know if you can change the MENU font size on the LG C3? I know you can change subtitle font size but my girlfriend is asking if the menu font size can be made larger. Nothing in accessibility settings or general settings or anything I can find - I'm wondering if there's a secret menu you all may know about.

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Thinking about upgrading our bedroom TV to a 43", which is the biggest that will fit in the space without looking ridiculous

It will not see heavy use, never be turned on during the day, and will never have a videogame console hooked up to it. Streaming/Plex only.

I don't really want to shell out $900 for an LG C3 OLED, and there's really not much recommended online below that price point until you get to the $150-$250 stuff from Hisense. Any recommendations?

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Honestly at 43".. anything? The HiSense or TCL might look better on the wall (I think they're a bit thinner), but you're not going to notice much of a quality difference on most of them unless you dip into the Fire TVs.

I would recommend going with one of the cheaper ones, never connect it to the Internet, and hook up an AppleTV to it.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Awesome, yeah that matches what I've seen online. I'm going to try and pick up either one of the A65K models from Hisense or the Roku-branded TV recommended by RTings.

Seems like there's not much worthwhile between $300 and $900

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    Nope! At that size you're not going to see much difference between the low and high end really, it's just what flavor of UI you want. And with the way these companies are fucking around with ads and personal data, better to just attach an AppleTV and be done with it.

• Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    I got a 65” Samsung OLED S95C to replace my old 55” Panasonic plasma ST60. It’s a very nice upgrade. Plus, the new TV won’t heat up my living room during the summer months.

Now, can I speak to whoever designed the terrible on-screen volume display?

Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    Oh yeah, Samsung has a terrible UI.

I mean LG's newer UI is just barely less crap, but..

• Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    edited April 21
    So, to avoid seeing that terrible Samsung volume overlay and still require as few remotes as possible, I ended up installing Homebridge on my Synology.

Now I can control TV, AV receiver, and AppleTV from my phone and I also have shortcuts I can run with one tap or by asking Siri.

physi_marc on
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    I can see the appeal of the all in one, but all the companies do such a crap job, I can't picture a world where I wouldn't have an AVR/Soundbar + external streaming device instead.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    It might finally be time I replace the Roku I use on my TV in the living room with an Apple TV like I have on my office TV. Roku is going to start putting video ads on the OS home screen. With their recent patent that allows them to inject ads into all inputs on a TV running a Roku OS I'll never ever recommend them as a cheap TV to anyone.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/04/roku-ad-push-continues-with-plans-to-put-video-ads-in-os-home-screen/
    https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/04/hdmi-customized-ad-insertion-patent-would-show-rokus-ads-atop-non-roku-video/

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    The amount of crap they force on the home screen is ridiculous in itself.
    We've got two TCLs and we will not not buying another Roku either.

How's Chromecast? Saw something about a new model coming?

• Options
    Damn that's messed up, they'll always find a way to squeeze a few more drops out of the stone.

Can you block any ports on the router to stop that sort of traffic getting through?

• Options
    It's a shame, I'm not a huge fan of our Apple TV 4k. It loves to showcase Apple stuff. But I'll take that over this future of ad any day. Too bad Nvidia doesn't have a desire to do a Shield v2.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I've got two very, very basic questions that may make people here roll their eyes:

1) We bought a Samsung 65" LCD TV in late 2016. With a TV like that (which is in use most days for a couple of hours), what kind of life span can we realistically expect?

2) Are TVs like computers, graphics cards etc., in that there is never a good or a bad time to buy one: wait for long enough and you might get a better offer, but at the same time, wait long enough and a new model comes out?

(Context: I could get a new LG OLED 77" for just under US$2000.)

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    1) Could last another couple days, or another couple decades. There's really no telling with modern electronics because there are so many things that factor in. I generally tend to think five years is good, ten years is fantastic.

2) Yep! There are sales all year round on TVs that come and go. Gone are the days of incredible black friday deals on high end models and Superb Owl specials, though I'd caveat that with you will often see discounts as the new models start to roll out. Not great ones, but they're there.

And if you're talking about the B3 for $2k, yeah, that's a killer deal.

• Options
    edited May 7
    It's this one: LG OLED77C37LA

Is C3 better than B3? Or is it just a sept lower? (Sorry, bad musician humour. o:) )

Edit: Also, the price is a teensy bit higher than I thought: roughly US$2200. Still, that sounds good, no?

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Oh yeah, for sure. The C3 is improved from the B3. All four ports are HDMI 2.1, better image processing, brighter screen. If you can get that for $2200, jump on it.

Not literally, I mean...

• Options
    Thanks, that is very helpful. Will give it a think (and measure just how much space we've got at our disposal...).

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    Okay, LG C3 77" ordered. And now to rearrange our living room... :D

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 8
    The best time to buy a TV on sale is when the new model replacing it comes out. As Shadow mentioned, Black Friday and other holiday sales are just gimmicks now.

Trajan45 on
  • Options
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    The best time to buy a TV on sale is when the new model replacing it comes out. As Shadow mentioned, Black Friday and other holiday sales are just gimmicks now.

And even that's gone by the wayside. Retailers know when the new models come out and taper off their ordering. You can get lucky sometimes and score a deal as the new models roll out, but usually the old ones just kinda disappear.

• Options
    I was able to get a rather large discount on my C2. But yeah, I can see retailers getting wise to it in the future. Especially since the feature changes have slowed down again.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    1) Could last another couple days, or another couple decades. There's really no telling with modern electronics because there are so many things that factor in. I generally tend to think five years is good, ten years is fantastic.

2) Yep! There are sales all year round on TVs that come and go. Gone are the days of incredible black friday deals on high end models and Superb Owl specials, though I'd caveat that with you will often see discounts as the new models start to roll out. Not great ones, but they're there.

And if you're talking about the B3 for $2k, yeah, that's a killer deal.

I'd modify this slightly that if you're within a month of black friday/superbowl, you can likely get a better deal there, but it's usually marginal. That said, they usually leak these ahead of time, so it's easy to catch. Many manufacturers have also aligned their product cycle so they can clear out the older stuff during those sales and the new stuff drops a month or two later.

• Options
    The LG OLED arrived yesterday, we installed it, and it's working fine. Going from 65" to 77" feels like less of a jump size-wise than going from 55" to 65", but the image quality is fanastic. We watched the Criterion 4K Blu-ray of La Haine yesterday, and the picture popped, making especially the close-ups on faces and bodies feel almost 3D. I'm also very much looking forward to watching something more VFX-heavy, e.g. Blade Runner 2049 on the new TV.

I'll have to be careful now not to feel that I need to replace the AV tuner and the Blu-ray player etc. etc. to make sure that there isn't a bottleneck somewhere. Though with the tuner I'd be justified, seeing how its display no longer works half the time...

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    If you already have a 4k uhd player you probably don't need to replace it. The tuner is all you though, I have no antenna access here.

• Options
    I'm excited to see how the Sony Bravia 9 turns out. Given my wife keeps the TV on all the time, the idea of them keeping a low power target is nice along with all the other improvements they're talking about.

• Options
    Looks cool, but as with all things don't buy the first rev.

• Options
    delphdelph DelawareRegistered User regular
    I'm looking at the Sony Bravia 9 series as well. Is it that new? I thought Sony already had Mini-LED TVs?

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    I'm looking at either a c3 or s90c

Both are exactly the same price but reviews seem to put the s90c just slightly above the c3.

Thoughts?

I have a Series X to play around with 4k blurays and testing out the hdmi 2.1 for the first time.

I'm wondering how big a deal that brightness difference is in a room with a pretty big window that let's in a decent amount of light even with the blinds closed.

And also wondering if I'd be just fine with a b3.

All OLED tvs I've seen in person look amazing to me so I'm not sure if the premium of stepping up is really worth it for what I'd consider pretty casual use.

Thoughts, opinions?

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    I will continue my Samsung hatred and recommend the C3 just on having Dolby Vision available alone.

• Options
    delph wrote: »
    I'm looking at the Sony Bravia 9 series as well. Is it that new? I thought Sony already had Mini-LED TVs?

They have a brand new backlight algorithm that allows them to shrink the leds more than ever before. They’ve also mentioned they are targeting their new reference monitor brightness and dedicating a lot to their software (i think their latest oled is the first to use it, which while not being the best tech, is constantly reviewed as best).

I’m interested to see the reviews.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    I have an OLED

And I'm blown away by it.

Watched a bit of Infinity War and played RE4 and Alan Wake 2 and the detail is just perfect.

Gonna be hard to go to anything else after this.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »
    I have an OLED

And I'm blown away by it.

Watched a bit of Infinity War and played RE4 and Alan Wake 2 and the detail is just perfect.

Gonna be hard to go to anything else after this.

Same; I'm sure mini led is much better than current array backlighting, but whenever I watch tv on a FALD tv the backlighting is always noticeable. I'm hoping my OLED lasts long enough for micro led tvs to hit a reasonable price.

• Options
    OLED is the return of Plasma, imho. It's just a beautiful picture, without needing a space heater on your wall.

• Options
    I vote for C3 over Samsung as well. We have both a c2 and c8 and the c8 is trucking along great even after all these years.

• Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    OLED is the return of Plasma, imho. It's just a beautiful picture, without needing a space heater on your wall.

Yeah we're a long way from the early LCD vs Plasma days, where each had major downsides. I'm still having trouble justifying upgrading from my 65X900E. Does it have blooming? sure, but it's hardly noticeable in real world TV viewing.