As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The New Comic Thread for Wednesday, April 27, 2011

13»

• Options
    RalzarRalzar Registered User new member
    edited April 2011
    Crakes wrote: »
    Why...why does everyone hate Wheel of Time? I only got through book 9 before I started losing interest in the story/getting older and busier and never read farther than that, but I still really like all the books prior to 9. Is it just that the later books have turned everyone off?

WoT is the Dawsons Creek of fantasy. A bunch of teenagers who never can get over stuff and just move on and instead keeps going around in circles. The setting is just a backdrop for a bunch of 20 year olds not managing to grow up.
    In addition the damn thing just drowned in sub-plots after a while. No one managed to do anything

Edit:
    redfenix wrote: »
    what was that series with the albino dude with the sword that like... ate souls or something

he was a prince, i think? but he traveled around doing things

i seem to remember enjoying that years ago

I'm betting you're talking about the Elric series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elric_of_Melnibon%C3%A9

Ralzar on
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    what was that series with the albino dude with the sword that like... ate souls or something

Do you mean the Malazan series? That sounds like Anomander Rake / Draconus.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I also find myself baffled by Tycho's stance on ASoIaF. I'm pretty sure he likes Dune, and I've tried and failed to read that gargantuan tome more times than I care to remember because the prose is so dense. And this is coming from somebody who yells at people for saying that the first third of Strange & Norrell was "plodding" or "boring"

I'm not getting mad because a dude who writes a webcomic said he didn't like a book I did, I'm just having a real hard time understanding where he's coming from on this :S

Opinions, I guess

Do you mean the Malazan series? That sounds like Anomander Rake / Draconus.

I was inclined to think he meant Michael Moorcock's Elric of Melnibone series; which is also great.

Malazan is the bestest though.

Nechriah on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Well, at least the newspost proves something to me. As far as I'm concerned (which as best you can do with something so subjective) Tycho has no taste in fantasy.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Well, at least the newspost proves something to me. As far as I'm concerned (which as best you can do with something so subjective) Tycho has no taste in fantasy.

Well

Glad we got that sorted out

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Why...why does everyone hate Wheel of Time? I only got through book 9 before I started losing interest in the story/getting older and busier and never read farther than that, but I still really like all the books prior to 9. Is it just that the later books have turned everyone off?

I think you are broken then because the 8th wheel of time book is one of the worst things I've ever read

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    the wheel of time might have been okay as a trilogy

Brolo on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The ASOIAF books have taught me that no matter how old and experienced a man is, he will instantly pop a boner whenever a woman touches him or looks at him or enters the same room as him.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Rolo wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    Seriously wrote: »
    Yeah I laughed and laughed at that bit in the newspost but really as a WoT vet that shit don't phase me

8-)

maybe if they went on about dresses with some slashes of color

sniff

Wheel of Time's writing style turned me off fantasy almost as much of Sword of Truth's rhetoric.

I feel like I should read the final books as a punishment for buying the first eight in the first place.

But seriously, someone get those women some god damn claritin.

edit: The wheel of time series gets markedly worse after the first three books, because it becomes disgustingly obvious that Jordan was just riding a cash cow as long as he could. The first book, specifically, is an enjoyable "chosen one coming of age" fantasy story. It's built on a solid story trope, and Jordan uses some unique ideas that make it fun. But after that, it's all downhill.

Langly on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    the wheel of time might have been okay as a trilogy

good chance of it

but instead it kept going and going and going and

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    smof wrote: »
    The ASOIAF books have taught me that no matter how old and experienced a man is, he will instantly pop a boner whenever a woman touches him or looks at him or enters the same room as him.

I think you are failing to distinguish between various levels or bonerdom

There are many levels in between full mast and frightened turtle

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yeah I laughed and laughed at that bit in the newspost but really as a WoT vet that shit don't phase me

8-)

sniff

Wheel of Time's writing style turned me off fantasy almost as much of Sword of Truth's rhetoric.

I feel like I should read the final books as a punishment for buying the first eight in the first place.

But seriously, someone get those women some god damn claritin.

edit: The wheel of time series gets markedly worse after the first three books, because it becomes disgustingly obvious that Jordan was just riding a cash cow as long as he could. The first book, specifically, is an enjoyable "chosen one coming of age" fantasy story. It's built on a solid story trope, and Jordan uses some unique ideas that make it fun. But after that, it's all downhill.

Gonna disagree just a little bit. I thought 4-6 were the high points of the series. The problem was that he lost control of the narrative. It just became so unwieledlly that he couldn't keep pushing it forward anymore, so everything stalled like a pickup truck with too much crap in the back

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Don't think so.
    Books 7-9 or whatever are considered to be the most boring.

Book 11 is awesome, and the Brandon Sanderson books are pretty good.

Turambar on
    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I will be the first to admit that it has been a long, long time since I read the WoT books, I just remember feeling that the first book in particular was really well done.

I feel like I remember stuff about book five though that I really liked.

Langly on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I disagree that the Sandereson books are "awesome" but they are certainly better than most of the last few Jordan books. It's nice that things actually happen but there are some things about it that make it feel just a little fanficesque.

Like, I can think of one character who abruptly starts acting way differently for no other reason that to get a plot moving and while a lot of the blame for this lies on Jordan putting him into a position where he's forced to do things like this, it's pretty jarring when a dude who's been acting like a complete idiot for 5 books suddenly becomes a different character.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    And yes I am reading them because I hate myself

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Balefuego wrote: »
    I disagree that the Sandereson books are "awesome" but they are certainly better than most of the last few Jordan books.
    Well I said they were pretty good, not awesome.
    The one I said was awesome is no 11, the last one by Jordan himself.

Turambar on
    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Oh I hated that one too

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I read one Terry Brooks book, which was Sword of Shahana or something.

It was awful, I never got finished it.

I hate fantasy books that read like a shit campaign.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    And yes I am reading them because I hate myself

I am sorta curious about how it's going to end but it has been long enough that I know I would have to put myself through books 1-11 again and man I do not know if I hate myself that much

cabsy on
  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I keep forgetting to pick up the last WoT books.
    Seems stupid to quit after 11.

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    DrCongoDrCongo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    smof wrote: »

It is known.

DrCongo on
  • Options
    Balthy13Balthy13 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm sort of surprised no one's mentioned Thomas Covenant series in regards to jarring, ballsy fantasy.

Though I've been meaning to try out ASoFaI, the fact that I suck at reading quickly and these books are so damn long is fairly daunting.

Balthy13 on
    pasig.png
    Tweeters: radixius | Blargh: Wordpress | Sounds: Embol | Castpods: Ragecast | Steam | XBL
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Read them at your own pace, no one is timing you.

Turambar on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    if it takes you a year to read each one you might be just in time for the last book to come out

Jars on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Nechriah wrote: »
    I also find myself baffled by Tycho's stance on ASoIaF. I'm pretty sure he likes Dune, and I've tried and failed to read that gargantuan tome more times than I care to remember because the prose is so dense. And this is coming from somebody who yells at people for saying that the first third of Strange & Norrell was "plodding" or "boring"

I read half of Strange and Norrell and forgot I was reading it. Six months later, I was emptying out my backpack and there it was. Completely baffled me. I think it might be cursed.

8-)

sniff

I did this with the Sword of Truth series.

I regret it every day.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Sword of Truth is a fucking abomination

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yes, yes it is

Ringo on
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ringo wrote: »
    Nechriah wrote: »

I read half of Strange and Norrell and forgot I was reading it. Six months later, I was emptying out my backpack and there it was. Completely baffled me. I think it might be cursed.

I bought on spring break choir tour several years ago, read about the first half on the bus, then someone said it looked interesting, so I loaned it to her cause it was getting really slow for me. Like 6 months later she gave it back. She hadn't finished it, I could remember where I'd been so I just opened in the middle and went backwards till I came to stuff I remembered, and tore through the rest of it. I think that one just needs to rest a bit every once in a while to be readable.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I reread the Wheel of Time series recently since I had not read the last two and I have to say I actually enjoyed it more than the first time I read them (and I enjoyed them the first time). I really enjoyed the two books Brandon Sanderson did more than the ones before but I don't know if it's because of his writing style or the fact that lots of shit was happening. Either way, I can't wait for the final book to come out.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I love Dr. Strange and Mr. Norell. It is seriously one of my favorite novels.

Langly on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I don't recall the Sorcerer Supreme being involved in any way, Langly

Ringo on
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Sword of Truth is a fucking abomination

man

the first one was good

it was pretty good even, cool magic system and world.

and then

then ayn rand

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I wasn't interested in the Wheel of Time series until Brandon Sanderson got involved. Now I have to read it all eventually, but I'm going to wait until the last book comes out so I can go through it all at once.

Andy Joe on
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
This discussion has been closed.