As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mount and Blade: With Fire and Sword: With Thread and Post

SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Social Entropy++
So a new Mount and Blade game is about to come out with the fairly weird name of....
Mount and Blade: With Fire and Sword
ss_f93abb1d805c034a20cb2f204af2bd1c6257a1f2.600x338.jpg?t=1304448008
Don't be fooled by the name, which for some reason doubles as a lackluster list of the game's content. Don't be fooled by the graphics, which look like the game was made by two people. Which it was. If the previous games in the series are anything to go by. and they are, because I said so, this new installment is going to be an addictive barrel of fun.

These games have a fun and unique combat system, replayability in the same league of the civilisation games, and the ability to command your own army while at the same time being in the think of it yourself.

Unless you're me, in which case you let the army sort themselves out while you charge ahead and gut archers on a pike while giggling maniacally.
ss_721e3815f3891afb8d36849dc0e7cf680c60339b.600x338.jpg?t=1304448008
All this is well and good, but what does this new game have to offer? Good question, hypothetical person I just made up right now. I'll let the steam description speak for itself.
A storyline based on the cult novel, "With Fire and Sword", from Nobel-prize winning author Henry Sienkiewicz.
A new century of warfare that brings pistols, muskets, grenades, and other advanced weaponry to the battlefield.
Fully customizable armies; players can outfit their soldiers with each piece of weaponry & armor.
Additional quest types. More political intrigue with colorful factions. More adventure in a new land.
Multiple endings to increase re-playability.
Deeply researched historical component encompassing every aspect of the game's assets.
Ferocious new multiplayer action, bringing players the thrill of pitting old technology against the looming threat of firearms.
3 Main Story-driven quest-lines for the player to delve into once they've become known in a particular faction.
Additional quest types.
Implementation of firearms, adds a whole new layer of strategic depth to the franchise's proven combat model.
New Siege options to choose before besieging a town or castle.
New multiplayer Maps and new multiplayer mode, “Captain Team Deathmatch”
ss_df2c8684790f5f817125f23919a31e5b84e4c8cf.600x338.jpg?t=1304448008
I'm psyched. You should be psyched. I should be downloading the game right now, but it doesn't seem to have unlocked yet despite the timer running out.

Discuss all your Mount, Blade, Fire and Sword related funtimes here!

Somestickguy on

• Options
    edited May 2011
    I have posted all I know in that OP. I would know more, if Steam wasn't claiming the game is now available while at the same time not adding it to my library.

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I hope that it's easier to command units in this one, because all I could ever really do is command everyone to stay still, then get the cavalry to follow me, send the infantry in en mass and then flank them with the cavalry. It's an effective strategy but it doesn't allow for a lot of inventive thinking.

I also hope that it's just as satisfying to lodge the business end of a battleaxe deep into the death center of the human brain.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I hope they have more hammers.

I need more hammers. Always more hammers. Hammers, yes. Mm, hammers. Swingy hammers. Smashy hammers.

HAMMERS.

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    also I'm amazed it's only 1.2 gigs

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Looking at the specs, warband was.... 100 megs?

Is that right?

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    Sir Headless VIISir Headless VII Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Looking at the specs, warband was.... 100 megs?

Is that right?

My install is 715 mb and I haven't played it at all so no i guess not. What should I do in this game, I bought it because i always see my steam friends playing it and it was cheap.

Sir Headless VII on
    Steam - Backpack - Bnet: SirHeadless #1154
    7KEFduI.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Go to villages, recruit as many people as you can, battle bandits to earn money, promote and recruit dudes, swear allegiance to a faction, kick the butts of factions you're currently at war with, get more land and power from the king/sultan/whatever.

You can also find a rightful heir to the throne, swear allegience to them and kick your own nation's butt in a civil war. This is HARD. But you can also convince lords you've built up relationships with to join your cause.

I don't think I've ever got to a position where I've reigned over all. But apparently this new one has different endings and stuff, so it seems like it actually follows a narrative.

Personally, I'm in it for the combat. So fun.

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    new things in Fire and Sword:

1) Guns
    2) Grenades
    3) It appears to be impossible to simply recruit villagers, the only troops I can find are the mercs you hire in taverns. Fortunately they're well equipped and money is much easier to come by. Unfortunately they do not seem to have the option to upgrade, but I assume I'm missing something there since we're supposed to have customizeable armies. I just haven't figured out how to do that yet.
    4) Pollacks
    5) Remember in the older games, where if you decided to raid a village you really just had to mob through and slaughter a few peasants before stealing all their shit and riding off with it?

They are fucking brutally difficult now. It's a giant mob of trained guards defending each town. Far more, in fact, than could possibly be living in the six buildings you see on the battle map. Don't expect to be able to raid a village until you have an army at least forty hands strong. With twenty fresh merc troops I get slaughtered almost immediately when I try it.

edit: two more:

6) armor is difficult to come by. Looters and such are barely carrying any to steal from their corpses and it's still prohibitively expensive to buy in the market
    7) don't insult people in taverns

it's a really bad idea

edit again:

8) go to the merc camps. They are not hostile, they are the people that help you upgrade your troops and allow you to hire loads and loads of new troops.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I wanna try this a bit. Gonna be too busy playing Tactical Intervention Beta and Section 8.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    ok I know M&B is pretty great and comprehensive

but is there a mod that enhances the kingdom/empire/armies and lords management part?

I've tried tracking one myself but the sheer amounts of mods out there completely overwhelmed me

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Someone buy me this please and thankyou

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2011
    oh goodness gracious, is this really out now?

heeeeeere we go

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2011
    yup there goes my productivity for the next couple days

and you know what?

fuck productivity, I'm on motherfuckin break

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Every tiny band of bandits around the starting town has people

People carrying rifles

oh god

Gumpy on
  • Options
    RedZeroRedZero Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Finally got around to getting a decent laptop and loaded the first one up the other night. After some trial and error, I finally figured out that Charisma is one of the most important stats.

But good god is it hard to keep track of where everyone is. "Find King X in 3 days." Yeah, King X was halfway across the damn map when I got that message and is moving, how the hell am I suppose to do that.

But the tournaments. Man do I love the tournaments.

Also, playing this while watching Game of Thrones is so much fun.

RedZero on
  • Options
    MVikingMViking Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I just started playing M&B: Warband and am enjoying ridding the dessert of looters and bandits. Gonna loot so many horses.

MViking on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    RedZero wrote: »
    Finally got around to getting a decent laptop and loaded the first one up the other night. After some trial and error, I finally figured out that Charisma is one of the most important stats.

But good god is it hard to keep track of where everyone is. "Find King X in 3 days." Yeah, King X was halfway across the damn map when I got that message and is moving, how the hell am I suppose to do that.

But the tournaments. Man do I love the tournaments.

Also, playing this while watching Game of Thrones is so much fun.

To find someone ask a lord of the same faction where they are

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Oh man, you seriously can't recruit through villages any more?

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The multiplayer has 15 new maps and a nifty new mode called “Captain Team Deathmatch” which gives each player a squad of bots (up to 24) to command. These bots are controlled in the same way as single-player and enable players to stage massive battles. I think people will end up doing a lot of historical re-enactments with this system. I’m hoping I can participate in some of them! If you’ve got any planned just PM Yazzy on the TaleWorlds forums!

Seriously the best idea ever for this franchise.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    oh goddammit

I cannot afford this right now!

alright answer me this can I still be the Nords or can I beat things with an axe until they don't look like things anymore

YaYa on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    you can't get on the side of the Nords

but you can be a Swede

there's nothing in the way of choose your own adventure storytelling in the beginning of this one, (which I thought was kind of lame) and I'm pretty sure everyone just starts off in the middle of the Polish empire

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    holy balls this is way harder to get established in then in classic M&B

guns change everything

lose your first fight, they take your horse and your pistol?

good luck out there, motherfucker, you're doomed

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    guys should I buy this even though I literally have no money

YaYa on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    holy balls this is way harder to get established in then in classic M&B

guns change everything

lose your first fight, they take your horse and your pistol?

good luck out there, motherfucker, you're doomed

lose a fight, reload your last save

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    YaYa wrote: »
    guys should I buy this even though I literally have no money

well I can't answer that, but I can say that your experience in the beginning of the game will be pretty much identical to the way you're feeling now

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    screw it I'll just bring lunch from home tomorrow, it'll be more or less the same price

woo!

YaYa on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm trying to figure out how to play warband, since I can't get this.

Can't figure a good character build to start with.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Step 1 to playing Warband: Download and install the Prophecy of Pendor mod.

Step 2 to playing Warband: always bet on Ravenstern.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I might redo my usual angry Nord-who-beats-things-with-axes and be a dude who shoots dudes instead

almost downloaded, wheeeee!

YaYa on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Its funny

it seems like guns are way overpowered, at least at the start

but they're fucking guns

they take forever to reload, but one shot will take out pretty much anybody

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I just got Warband the other day

I'm fuckin addicted

Is the map in this new one the same as the old ones? From the trailer it looked like it was Europe.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    oh my god how do you even get established in this game

YaYa on
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Avoid getting shot

They all have rifles

Gumpy on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    also, walk into taverns

see that guy with the rifle?

hire him

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    genius

YaYa on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    oh also

if you have any cavalry at all, make sure they're ranged units, and have them follow you around

there's a lot of pikemen in this game, and if you let them charge in, they will die very, very quickly

can you set companion characters to a particular group somehow? When I give cavalry commands, my mounted companions just charge in ahead of me with no regard for the fact that everyone else is sixty yards behind them and unable to help

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well, in Prophesy of Pendor I can do that, yes. You have to click on the companion in your army screen and then on the name of the group they're currently in.

Platy on
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ragequit the game when the first companion I spent a pile of money on lied to me to get hired.

He sold himself as a professional musketeer, and came with sod all firearms skill and no firearms. :(

Fyndir on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    FirmSkater wrote: »
    I just got Warband the other day

I'm fuckin addicted

Is the map in this new one the same as the old ones? From the trailer it looked like it was Europe.

I believe it is set in Poland.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Did I hear Rhodoks? Well, I imagined I did. They's my favorites.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)