As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Did I just become a scam target?

IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mightyand facepalm.Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Got a cellphone call a few days ago asking for a survey (for cellphone users) and they left a message. They called back again today, and I went through it. Questions were about my phone and internet functions and usages. After the survey was over they offered to send a $5 check to reimburse me for my minutes, if I gave them my name and address.

Despite my mom's (probably on-the-money) protests I gave them my mailing info. They then said that the preceding survey was to be used on Pew Internet. Looking at the questions there, it seems to be legit, but I'm a bit bugged nonetheless, and mom probably is too.

So, is it time to start locking the doors, peeking out the windows and grabbing the mail with an extending arm? (Assuming I wasn't already...)

steam_sig.png
Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
Backlog Challenge List
Ianator on

• Options
    EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You'll probably get nothing more bothersome than spam mail through the letterbox. But then, I don't live in America so maybe they really ARE murderers? :?

Euphoriac on
  • Options
    Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The Pew Research Center generally does neat, worthwhile, reputable stuff - I don't even know how many times I've used their work in one of my various sociology papers.

Look at it this way: even if they're lying, even if they actually represent the Nigerian ScamCo McMoneyOrder Trust, what information did you give them? Some stuff about your cell phone usage habits, your name, your phone number, and your mailing address.

Know where else a scammer could get that valuable personal information? A phone book. I mean, yeah, there are minor differences between cell phones and landlines, but still, if they just wanted to harvest names and addresses for some nefarious scammy purpose, they have much easier ways of doing it than calling you, doing social research on you for ten minutes, then asking for your address.

Keep a casual eye on your cell phone bill just in case, but you're probably in the clear here.

Kate of Lokys on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Euphoriac wrote: »
    You'll probably get nothing more bothersome than spam mail through the letterbox. But then, I don't live in America so maybe they really ARE murderers? :?

Ah, everyone in America's a serial murderer.

It's a hobby. Most of the time we forget all about it.

A tip, though, for visitors?

Don't wear leathery black suits and ties. Just a bad idea all around.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I worked for my university doing survey stuff for a class once. Certain callers would be offered five dollars for their time, trying to incentivize people to actually answer and not just swear at you and hang up.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Checking out the site not only showed it was legit (the Pew main site linked back) but had a listing of the very kinds of questions I was asked.

After a bit of thought I think we'll be alright after this. T'was a right scare though.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Your information will go into a consumer database that the folks conducting the survey will sell to companies who want to market things to you. Five dollars (assuming you cash the check) is a pretty small price for them to pay for a known working address that they can associate with clear age and usage habits.

It's nothing particularly nefarious, though the end result is you getting more junk mail.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Your information will go into a consumer database that the folks conducting the survey will sell to companies who want to market things to you. Five dollars (assuming you cash the check) is a pretty small price for them to pay for a known working address that they can associate with clear age and usage habits.

It's nothing particularly nefarious, though the end result is you getting more junk mail.

Not in this case. Like I said, Pew is legit.
    2) Use of Personal Data Collected

The Pew Research Center will not sell, share, rent or disclose to third parties any individually identifying information, such as names, postal and email addresses, telephone numbers, and other personal information which you voluntarily provide to us, except (a) to provide the services you have requested; (b) to the extent necessary to comply with applicable laws or valid legal processes, or (c) to protect the rights and intellectual property of the Pew Research Center.

Kate of Lokys on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I want to say it was Pew that I did a phone survey for about 12 years ago. I gave my address and a couple of weeks later got a letter in the mail with a five dollar bill included.

Sir Carcass on