As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEλM] Ubisoft Week is over. Your wallets are safe.... til the Summer Sale

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    Here's How It Will Fail:

What system and criterion will be used to evaluate players (because you know it'll be automated), and how are they going to prevent shenanigans (i.e. Internet Assholes being Assholes to each other to devalue them, or value "upvoting" each other)? People have shown no shyness to circumventing systems in games for fun, and now you are adding in the reward of money.

Taking Gabe's example, it would be analyzing the behavior of other players on the servers as a response to your joining it. People leaving, them muting you, etc. would count against you, and some other predictors (amount of voice chat used? How often people stay for full rounds?) would be used to determine if you are a Fun Guy. Naturally, these would be compared against a predicted baseline of how the players on that server at that time would be likely to act without your presence. It's not an EASY problem, but it's certainly doable with enough data.

Scooter wrote: »
    Problem 1: I'm going to have to keep paying full price for games because I don't play multiplayer FPSes, while dudes who play a ton of TF2 (a Valve game, of course) get shit for free?

Considering they are specifically attempting to improve the experience of multiplayer Valve games, here, I don't see Gay Ben giving you a copy of Mass Effect 3 for your good behavior in Dead Space 2. If you don't play Valve multiplayer games, why would you care about not getting a discount on further Valve multiplayer games?

Scooter wrote: »
    Problem 2: As soon as someone starts getting charged more they're just gonna make a new account.

I'm going to guess that the amount of work required to circumvent any of Steam's protections would overshadow any monetary savings.

Keep in mind that this is simply an extension of what Valve already does. They VAC ban players for cheating because cheating players are severely detrimental to the experience of other players. What this plan would be is just slightly fuzzier logic: in addition to outright banning abhorrent players, they are also slightly punishing unpleasant players, and slightly rewarding players who are beneficial to the experience of other players. Same principle: improving the overall experience of players, but just a bit more in the margins.

Garthor on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Garthor wrote: »
    Considering they are specifically attempting to improve the experience of multiplayer Valve games, here, I don't see Gay Ben giving you a copy of Mass Effect 3 for your good behavior in Dead Space 2. If you don't play Valve multiplayer games, why would you care about not getting a discount on further Valve multiplayer games?

Scoots said "Multiplayer FPSes". Gabe said "DotA 2". Guess what DotA isn't?

Hint: DotA isn't an FPS.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Riale wrote: »
    kyleh613 wrote: »
    Is there anyone else picking up Fable III on Tuesday? I'm really looking forward to playing it despite a mountain of warnings telling me not too. I'm gonna ignoring the haters though and go in with non-hyped expectations.

I bought the 360 version for considerably less a few weeks ago, with the same attitude of 'fuck the haters, Fables 1 & 2 were great'.

It now holds the distinction of being the only game I have ever returned to gamestop for a refund based on the fact that it was terrible.

Everything from the factually incorrect map, to the incredibly limited expression system (wait, you mean I only get one good and one evil option every time I talk to someone? And it's randomized? So now I have to kiss this random dude unless I want evil points. Great.), linear development, annoying menu system (YES JOHN CLEESE I KNOW THERE'S DLC STOP TRYING TO GET ME TO BUY IT EVERY TIME I PRESS START) and atrocious combat.

It somehow managed to take everything interesting from the last two games, and either simplify it to the point of pointlessness, or completely screw it up on a fundamental level.

It's worth maybe $20. I cannot urge you strongly enough not to buy it. If only so you don't support sloppy shit like a $60 game with a map that does not actually show the landscape you're looking at. It brings a whole new meaning the term 'shoddy'.

Holy shit, thats a pretty strong deterrent right there. Thanks for the heads up.

I was going to buy it, if only because I thought the "french revolutionist" setting with muskets was unique for an RPG.

Is the combat gameplay at least somewhat satisfying?

Dangerbird on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dangerbird wrote: »
    Is the combat gameplay at least somewhat satisfying?

It's pretty similar to the second game in that regard, but for me it was a little disappointing because it lacks the body part targeting of the ranged combat from the second game and I was big on guns in Fable 2.

I think you can mix spells or something later too, but I never got quite that far because I was not really having any fun with it.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So its pretty much a step backwards? Isn't that the opposite of how its supposed to be done? Especially for a game like series like Fable.

I remember fans grudgingly accepted Fable when it first came out because it delivered on only maybe half of the things Peter Molyneaux was promising. Then when the sequel came out, people were happy because they added a few more features and generally made it better.

Dangerbird on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So far I have done 3 campaign maps, the third of which ("Second Chance") I failed because the US invaded. I don't do too badly, but juggling all the needs and opinions of the people becomes tricky. Also, occasionally I look down on the bottom left a realise I am spiralling into debt completely by accident. And I haven't gotten to the point yet where I have a lot of educated residents. But I'm getting there. I want army bases and secret police already!

I did this mission last night and had the opposite scenario, the USSR was threatening to invade. I just passed an edict to build a US base and the USSR dudes left.

By the time 1980 rolled around, I was making something like $120k to $130k with each freighter. I just wished I had built the bank earlier to capitalize on that. Basically what I did was start with a couple of tobacco farms, then as soon as I was able I built a cigar factory. I eventually had 3 cigar factories and a furniture factory (with several logging camps and 2 or 3 lumber mills) and I was rolling in the cash. I was late on getting a high school built (had placed it early, but kept building things I needed NOW), so there was a brief period where my factories got abandoned (and I lost like $60k before I got them running again), but that was my only big worry. I also had some annoyances from rebels, but once I built an army base and an armory, they stopped being a problem.

I'm really enjoying the challenges here so far. I guess we'll see if I feel that way once they get a lot harder.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Bullfrog and Molyneaux used to be brilliant. Really liked Populous, Powermonger and Syndicate.

Black & White and Fable? Rubbish.

Picked up Hydrophobia when it was on sale and didn't notice that it was downloaded and ready to play.

So, console port with checkpoints and a lot of cut scenes. Don't think any action sequences have lasted for more than a couple minutes before there is another movie playing.

Does the game get better as it goes along? If it is more of the same, there are more deserving titles in the backlog...

grouch993 on
    Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hey now, I thought the original Black & White was pretty fun. Never played the sequel, or any of the expansions.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hey now, I thought the original Black & White was pretty fun. Never played the sequel, or any of the expansions.

Was there a sequel? I thought B&W was awesome as well. I know many parts were broken, but I had a huge blast with that game.

EDIT: There was a sequel!

Icemopper on
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Black & white was one of my first 'modern' PC games. Before that I was busy toiling away at a giant backlog of games from ages past still.

I still have a soft spot for it. (Probably located somewhere on my skull, to be honest.)

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    kyleh613kyleh613 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Aww man you guys are making me reconsider. I had read that the developer went back and at least redid the combat system, they claim they redid it completely for the PC. So there's that at least. I wonder if the character interactions were changed too, the stuff described about that part is a deal breaker for me. I didn't know how bad it was until I read the impressions from you all.

kyleh613 on
  • Options
    henryhenry Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Then what's Valve's long term plan? Eventually Source will need to be retired.

Valve's long term plans are actually just its short term plans, once you take into consideration the pace at which they work. If they actually had long term plans, those would end up coming to fruition some time in the 2100s.

Which they may have.

I'm betting on total world domination.

I kind of already gave into Google on that one... Google is going to dominate the world someday :/.

henry on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    grouch993 wrote: »
    Bullfrog and Molyneaux used to be brilliant. Really liked Populous, Powermonger and Syndicate.

Black & White and Fable? Rubbish.

Picked up Hydrophobia when it was on sale and didn't notice that it was downloaded and ready to play.

So, console port with checkpoints and a lot of cut scenes. Don't think any action sequences have lasted for more than a couple minutes before there is another movie playing.

Does the game get better as it goes along? If it is more of the same, there are more deserving titles in the backlog...

Rock Paper Shotgun says it blows. And now blows as in "blows the competition out of the water" but blows like "this game blows."

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Summer, IIRC. Probably after the L4D2 DLC, which was due out "sometime after Portal 2"

In-between these releases will be sprinkled with TF2 hats.

Has there been any word on the L4D2 patch that's supposed to update it to include all of the L4D1 maps (more than just No Mercy)?

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Forar wrote: »
    Summer, IIRC. Probably after the L4D2 DLC, which was due out "sometime after Portal 2"

In-between these releases will be sprinkled with TF2 hats.

Has there been any word on the L4D2 patch that's supposed to update it to include all of the L4D1 maps (more than just No Mercy)?

Will be released when they get around to working on Ep3 (no idea actually, but hey, valve time)

LockeCole on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    How is Episode 2 as an ending for the series? Keep in mind I haven't finished any of them yet, so no spoilers. But does it end on a big cliffhanger or something?

AuburnTiger on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    How is Episode 2 as an ending for the series? Keep in mind I haven't finished any of them yet, so no spoilers. But does it end on a big cliffhanger or something?

It's kind of a spoiler to tell you, although I imagine that lots of people disagree with me and that the next 6 posts will tell you.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

Yes, there is a giant cliffhanger. Like, you can't see the ground from how high up we are. (minor hyperbole, perhaps)

Edit: I don't feel this is spoilery information, as what series knows it has another part coming that doesn't end on some sort of cliffhanger? That's kind of the point of the middle parts of a series; expand things and build up to the finale!

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well good news since the PSN is back up I can finally register a steam account and download Portal 2.

The bad news is they are no longer selling the Potato Sack on Steam :( I was really looking forward to picking up all that indy goodness on the cheap.

Artoria on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Black & white was one of my first 'modern' PC games. Before that I was busy toiling away at a giant backlog of games from ages past still.

I still have a soft spot for it. (Probably located somewhere on my skull, to be honest.)

hi5, B&W was the first game I played on the first gaming PC I ever built. I had been getting by with a P3-500, but then I built my 1.2GHz AMD, and from a Voodoo 5 to a Geforce 2 GTS. I sat there for probably 10 minutes just scrolling in and out, amazed at the smoothness.

B&W2 was better than B&W, I thought, but it still got pretty repetitious.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    For a god game, B&W play way too much like a pretty Tamagotchi.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    ColorlessGreenColorlessGreen Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I always wanted Black and White to be more fun than it actually was.

Fabulous idea. Good concept. Completely borked the execution.

ColorlessGreen on
    Hearthstone (NA, EU, Asia): Ceegee#1473 - spectators welcome.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    For a god game, B&W play way too much like a pretty Tamagotchi.

But you can't pick people up and throw them for singing terrible songs in Tamagotchi!

Icemopper on
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    B&W was one of my first PC games too. The second one just never worked for me though, ever. I tried it on four generations of PCs, each time I got a new PC over a period of five years or so. I even tried it on a few machines belonging to other people and it just never ran well or consistently, there was always a crap frame rate or constant crashes.

Finally five years later I was forced to admit the problem may have been with the game. :P

To this day it is my white whale.

Casual on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    When I'm playing god, I shouldn't have to worry about cleaning up poo

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    When I'm playing god, I shouldn't have to worry about cleaning up poo

What would God need with a poop scooper?

Apparently, quite a lot.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    EggPuppetEggPuppet Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Black and White was a catastrophe. Its legacy is as a case study for failed game design and corrupt gaming journalism.

EggPuppet on
  • Options
    PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Steam Announces Daily Deals!
    Announcement - Valve

Starting today, Steam offers a new 24-hour deal, every single day. Look for the deals each day on the front page of Steam. Or follow us on twitter or Facebook for instant notifications wherever you are!

http://store.steampowered.com/news

Prisca on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I disagree. For all it's many many faults, deep deeeeeeep down there was a great game there struggling to be seen.

Casual on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Prisca wrote: »

Announcement - Valve

Starting today, Steam offers a new 24-hour deal, every single day. Look for the deals each day on the front page of Steam. Or follow us on twitter or Facebook for instant notifications wherever you are!

The addiction.

This is even worse than before!!

Icemopper on
  • Options
    IceyIcey Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Announcement - Valve

:(

Icey on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Announcement - Valve

Come on, Witcher . . .

AuburnTiger on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Announcement - Valve

we are FUCKED.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Announcement - Valve

Dear lord...

May god preserve our souls. And our bank balances. D:

Casual on
  • Options
    Chuck GoodrichChuck Goodrich Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Casual wrote: »

Announcement - Valve

Dear lord...

May god preserve our souls. And our bank balances. D:

Oh no.

Oh no. NO. Nononono.

We're in some real trouble here guys. D:

Chuck Goodrich on
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Why would you do this to me, Steam? You know I'm trying to save money. D:

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Must move some of my tax return into a Steam Fund and see how long I can ration my spending.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Announcement - Valve

fuck we're all dead

SteevL on
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Every...single.......day?!

Welp. It's been real, guys. I'm sorry it had to end this way.

I myself am going to take the only course of action that makes any sense right now...

Self-immolation. Of all my money.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Welp I'm pretty much fucked.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png