As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

An "Invisible" Rapture? Clever Girl

• Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    http://www.npr.org/2011/05/07/136053462/is-the-end-nigh-well-know-soon-enough
    [Adrienne Martinez] thought she'd go to medical school, until she began tuning in to Family Radio. She and her husband, Joel, lived and worked in New York City. But a year ago, they decided they wanted to spend their remaining time on Earth with their infant daughter.

"My mentality was, why are we going to work for more money? It just seemed kind of greedy to me. And unnecessary," she says.

And so, her husband adds, "God just made it possible — he opened doors. He allowed us to quit our jobs, and we just moved, and here we are."

Now they are in Orlando, in a rented house, passing out tracts and reading the Bible. Their daughter is 2 years old, and their second child is due in June. Joel says they're spending the last of their savings. They don't see a need for one more dollar.

"You know, you think about retirement and stuff like that," he says. "What's the point of having some money just sitting there?"

"We budgeted everything so that, on May 21, we won't have anything left," Adrienne adds

sucks to be her 2 kids when they realize that mommy is batshit insane.

Whoops!

HeadCreeps on
    vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hey, thanks to the Illuminati we have no real way of knowing what time it is. Who knows when May 21, 2011 will actually happen, it might be this Saturday or it might be next week sometime.

Foolproof on
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sometimes when shit has really gone wrong for me I wish that I could believe there was some big plan behind it. Like someone knew this would happen and had something cool planned to make it okay some day.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    HeadCreeps wrote: »
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    http://www.npr.org/2011/05/07/136053462/is-the-end-nigh-well-know-soon-enough
    [Adrienne Martinez] thought she'd go to medical school, until she began tuning in to Family Radio. She and her husband, Joel, lived and worked in New York City. But a year ago, they decided they wanted to spend their remaining time on Earth with their infant daughter.

"My mentality was, why are we going to work for more money? It just seemed kind of greedy to me. And unnecessary," she says.

And so, her husband adds, "God just made it possible — he opened doors. He allowed us to quit our jobs, and we just moved, and here we are."

Now they are in Orlando, in a rented house, passing out tracts and reading the Bible. Their daughter is 2 years old, and their second child is due in June. Joel says they're spending the last of their savings. They don't see a need for one more dollar.

"You know, you think about retirement and stuff like that," he says. "What's the point of having some money just sitting there?"

"We budgeted everything so that, on May 21, we won't have anything left," Adrienne adds

sucks to be her 2 kids when they realize that mommy is batshit insane.

Whoops!

Oh don't worry, they'll go on public assistance and then vote against national healthcare and food stamp programs later on in 2012.

Hunter on
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Foolproof wrote: »
    Hey, thanks to the Illuminati we have no real way of knowing what time it is. Who knows when May 21, 2011 will actually happen, it might be this Saturday or it might be next week sometime.

I can't even tell with you anymore

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hunter wrote: »
    I wish I had faith like that in anything. Just to be happy for a moment.

Hunter, there is no spoon.

Foolproof on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    FirmSkater wrote: »
    Sometimes when shit has really gone wrong for me I wish that I could believe there was some big plan behind it. Like someone knew this would happen and had something cool planned to make it okay some day.

If god's plan included things like child rape, genocide, cancer, AIDS, starvation, racism, and Fox News, then maybe he's just not good at being an omnipotent being.

Maybe he's a bad god. Like the guy at your work that just fucks up everything he touches. Other planets get a competent supreme power, and Earth gets an office temp with a bad attitude. There's a plan, but it's a shitty plan by someone who doesn't give a fuck.

Hunter on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Quoth wrote: »
    dante says that unbaptized babies go to limbo

that's in HELL

sad little hell nursery filled with fetuses

holy crap that is a depressing image, brb writing a poem

purgatory doesn't exist

the pope retconned it only as condition of existence, and not a place

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    What!! How can people possibly believe in the rapture! *believes that the illuminati changed what time is?*

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    PiptheFair wrote: »

that's in HELL

purgatory doesn't exist

Which pope though? Cosmic Powered Pope, Legacy Virus Pope, Zombie Pope, or Crisis on Infinite Popes?

Hunter on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

that's in HELL

purgatory doesn't exist

Haha

Retconned

It's funny because that's usually only heard in reference to comic books

Solar on
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You guys remember that whole "Scientology" fad? Man, now there is a group of crazy people.

godmode on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    also t quoth: limbo is what you are thinking of

limbo is on the outskirts of hell and is where those who die with original sin are consigned

also, john paul 2 made a commission that concluded that unbaptized babies would probably still go to heaven because god is not an asshole about it

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    SpudgeSpudge Witty comments go next to this blue dot thingyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

that's in HELL

purgatory doesn't exist

Which pope though? Cosmic Powered Pope, Legacy Virus Pope, Zombie Pope, or Crisis on Infinite Popes?

King TurboPope

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

I'm too fuckin' poor to play
    WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    I wish I had faith like that in anything. Just to be happy for a moment.

I found myself being a lot happier once I gave up faith like that.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited May 2011

that's in HELL

purgatory doesn't exist

john paul deuce

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

that's in HELL

purgatory doesn't exist

didn't John Paul II erase Limbo from existence and not all of purgatory? Fool's Paradise still exists for people too simple to not notice they are not in heaven and that was near limbo and purgatory but not in either

Foolproof on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    also t quoth: limbo is what you are thinking of

limbo is on the outskirts of hell and is where those who die with original sin are consigned

also, john paul 2 made a commission that concluded that unbaptized babies would probably still go to heaven because god is not an asshole about it

"God's special love for the little ones" is how it was put, I think.

There's probably space for a joke about Catholic Priests and Paedophilia here but I can't be bothered

Solar on
  • Options
    SpudgeSpudge Witty comments go next to this blue dot thingyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Isn't it just great how things can get erased from existence because god can't be that big of a dick

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    john paul 2nd did a shitload of good things (and a few things not good)

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Spudge wrote: »
    Isn't it just great how things can get erased from existence because god can't be that big of a dick

Like Hell. Plenty of Christians don't believe in it because Eternal Damnation means that God would have to be a real asshole.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    also because hell is never really explained in the bible other than complete separation from the divine

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Solar wrote: »

Like Hell. Plenty of Christians don't believe in it because Eternal Damnation means that God would have to be a real asshole.

I think spiders prove something about what kind of dick god may or may not be.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRV4d9LCawU

What kind of god would let something like this happen?

Foolproof on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    ugh

spiders

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • Options
    DaricDaric Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    How do we know the world didn't end a thousand years ago and we're the ones left?

Daric on
    cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Foolproof wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »

I think mosquitoes prove something about what kind of dick god may or may not be.

HeadCreeps on
    vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    John Paul II was the best pope. That guy seemed legitimately compassionate.

Now we have Hitler-Youth Sith Lord Darth Benedict XVIth. That's a guy you know does not believe in the inherent good of mankind. That is a dude that probably rubs it out to the Old Testament under his robes every day.

In regards to faith, even though I gave up God I still have faith that the universe will keep chugging no-matter what happens to any individual human's personal life. The idea that a benevolent being actually gives two shits about any one ant in his billion-square-mile ant farm and has planned out every event in their timeline was concocted by a desperate mind trembling before the enormity of existence.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    benedict has actually been really moderate!

also, he was elected under the assumption he wouldn't live very long and a new leader would emerge

well uh, that hasn't really worked out for the cardinals

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    TankHammer wrote: »
    ...concocted by a desperate mind trembling before the enormity of existence.

I really like this phrase.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I saw the Pope like 3 weeks ago. He is looking pretty healthy let me tell you

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Daric wrote: »
    How do we know the world didn't end a thousand years ago and we're the ones left?

Because Jesus said it would happen

and it hasn't happened since he said it would

ergo it must happen in the future

or something

Solar on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    benedict has actually been really moderate!

also, he was elected under the assumption he wouldn't live very long and a new leader would emerge

well uh, that hasn't really worked out for the cardinals

Yeah, it's funny when that happens.

I guess they didn't have much of a choice. The media was talking all kinds of bullshit about them electing strong Catholic leaders out of South America or Africa where membership isn't in such a decline but can you imagine? A dark-skinned Pope?

Goodness, why not a mule or a dog while we're at it. Preposterous!

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Monkeyfeet wrote: »
    I saw the Pope like 3 weeks ago. He is looking pretty healthy let me tell you

Must be because he siphons the life out of children through some dark ritual

HeadCreeps on
    vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    kingworkskingworks Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

What if we were all created 5 minutes ago, and everything before that is an implanted memory.

What if we are memories in the making? o_O

kingworks on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    kingworks wrote: »

What if we were all created 5 minutes ago, and everything before that is an implanted memory.

What if we are memories in the making? o_O

What if what I think is the color blue would look purple or red to someone else?

What if I am the only being with true sentience and the rest of you are constructs to convince me you're real?

TankHammer on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    what if

Punisher killed the Marvel Universe?

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    What if internet

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    What

If

Solar on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    What if nobody really cares what you do in life as long as you do your best not to be a dick

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    eighth grade stoner philosophy and the basest form of solipsism

the true literati

Charles Kinbote on