As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Summer Slugfest Slamdown: Movies & More!

• Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    More a question, but fits this thread more.

Between Shattered Dimensions, Edge of Time, and Web of Shadows ( all for Ps3) , what one, if any, would be worth grabbing, I'm just jonesing for some spider-manning, last spidey game I played and actually enjoyed was Ultimate Spider-man tho. But I swear I heard others talking about one of these 3 Spidey games in a positive light.

so what do you all recommend of those 3?

( And it's those 3, because they all in the used cheap bin for the exact same price)

My vote is Web of Shadows, the Vulture Boss battle is amazing!

Mine too. Plus of the three, it's the only free roaming one, and really, that's half the fun of the Spider-Man games.

Edge of Time and Shattered Dimension are both just linear games. Never played Shattered Dimensions, but Edge of Time sucked.

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    So, I saw Chronicle today. That was a pretty fun movie. Some interesting nods to/subversions of standard superhero tropes.

You've got nerdy Peter Parker who, rather than use his pain and angst to become Spider-Man, becomes a superpowered school shooter.

You've got high school Superman, kind, courageous, and engaging, who gets struck by lightning and killed halfway through the movie.

And then you've got faux intellectual Major Bummer, who's finally forced to step up and become the actual hero of the story, even waxing on about how he believes he can make the world a better place. Admittedly, he's mostly saying that to get into a girl's pants.

The story's really pretty straightforward; three friends get superpowers, one starts to crack, and the consequences are dire. It's well-told, well-acted, and due to an interesting floating camera gimmick, you're not stuck with the usual boring, whiplash-inducing camera work of most found footage movies.

What I really loved, was all the little nods to superhero tropes. The supervillain and superhero start off as friends, before finally becoming tragic enemies. The "heroes" wear bright jackets, while the "villain" wears a dark grey one. The villain eventually suits up into a full-on supervillain costume, complete with a mask, before suffering horrible, disfiguring burns. Oh, and he gives himself a supervillain codename.

Also, I wasn't sure if the black guy getting hit by lightning was an intentional play on Black Lightning/Static/Black Vulcan/every other black superhero with lightning powers, or just serendipity. But, I choose to believe it was the former.

It works really well as a cool, engaging sci-fi film, but I think superhero fans will get a lot more out of it.

• Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    I thought Shattered Dimensions had the best gameplay out of them all. The free roam experience and Marvel cameos add a lot to Web of Shadows. Whatever you do, avoid Edge of Time.

• Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    Shattered Dimensions is great, Web of Shadows has the worst voice acting and story in a Spider-Man game ever

The morality system is entirely stupid and antithetical to the character, the voices (especially for Spider-Man) are just awful, and the writing doesn't get anywhere near Shattered Dimension's level. And just because there's a big city you can swing around doesn't make it any less linear, and linearity isn't bad when Spider-Man's open world games tend to be busted-ass and filled with tedious side quests.

• Options
    Yeah, after playing Arkham City's city roaming, Web of Shadows seems really lame. Being able to call Luke Cage and Moon Knight to you to open a can was always great, though.

That reminds me - the next Batman Arkham game should REALLY be based on No Man's Land.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Oh God, I just remembered Spider-man's voice in Web of Shadows.
    Yeah, that was one awful casting.

• Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    Furu wrote:
    Shattered Dimensions is great, Web of Shadows has the worst voice acting and story in a Spider-Man game ever

The morality system is entirely stupid and antithetical to the character, the voices (especially for Spider-Man) are just awful, and the writing doesn't get anywhere near Shattered Dimension's level. And just because there's a big city you can swing around doesn't make it any less linear, and linearity isn't bad when Spider-Man's open world games tend to be busted-ass and filled with tedious side quests.

I won't argue that there weren't any really good sidequests(something that no free roaming Spidey game has gotten right), but I always enjoyed just turning the game on and swinging around for a bit.

Can we talk about how much Edge of Time sucked some more? Who the hell thought that putting a whole Spiderman game in a single building was a good idea?

The same developer is making the new game based on the movie. It probably will disappoint on a level or two, but at least they're going back to a full city.

• Options
    Best Spider-Man game is still the original one for the PS1. Carnage Doc Oc!

Second best is Spider-Man 2.

• Options
    Best Spider-Man game is actually Maximum Carnage for SNES. The cartridge was red, man. RED!

• Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    I loved Maximum Carnage. Teaming up Spidey and Venom was fucking awesome. Also the PS1 Spider-Man game was pretty great, I used to swing around for hours. Lots to unlock, too. Unlocking shit in games is like crack to me.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I loved Maximum Carnage. Teaming up Spidey and Venom was fucking awesome. Also the PS1 Spider-Man game was pretty great, I used to swing around for hours. Lots to unlock, too. Unlocking shit in games is like crack to me.

I sucked at that game. Never passed the first level.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Hensler wrote:
    Best Spider-Man game is actually Maximum Carnage for SNES. The cartridge was red, man. RED!

Hensler knows where it's at.

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    It was red on the Genesis, too

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Beat 'em ups aren't the ideal genre for dudes with super-strength. It shouldn't take Spider-Man more than ten hits to knock out a thug with a mohawk.

Of course, that's not as bad as the Death of Superman beat 'em up. After a while I became convinced that I was just playing as a dude in a Superman costume who'd found himself in a really bad situation.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Beat 'em ups aren't the ideal genre for dudes with super-strength. It shouldn't take Spider-Man more than ten hits to knock out a thug with a mohawk.

Ten hits? Two, maximum. Cap is similar.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Someone that's not at work post the Amazing Spider-Man Rhino reveal game trailer.

Apart from dubstep, there's some good stuff, including hints of combat.

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    so Rhino's a shitty genetic mutation like Lizard in this game? i mean, it makes sense in this story, but i still don't like it

yeah, that trailer didn't look great

Antimatter on
  • Options
    Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    well Beenox has been working on it since before Shattered Dimensions came out, so it could turn out alright

• Options
    I think it must be in the contract for the license that every 3D Spider-Man game must also include Rhino.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    So, in a video game, the standard mode of operation if you're a bank robber

1) Infiltrate bank
    2) Take hostages
    3) Wait for Spider-Man

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Well obviously this time that accursed web-slinger will never escape your devious ambush

• Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    And when he crashes through the roof and kicks all of your friends' asses right in front of you, you still have to charge at him because those 5 guys combined are weaker than you as a single being.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    What happened to Spider-Man games being great? Sigh! Granted it's only a trailer, but I was getting a shitty movie spin-off vibe from what I did see. Ultimate Spider-Man, now THAT was a great game. Beating on Wolverine as Venom = priceless.
    Hensler wrote: »
    That reminds me - the next Batman Arkham game should REALLY be based on No Man's Land.

F*** yeah! I second the shit outta this. I mean, having freedom to roam all of Gotham seems like the next appropriate step right? As does adding awesome bat vehicles.

WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I'm hoping next Batman is No Man's Land style in size also, altho I wouldn't mind either a trip to Metropolis, or Supes showing up at one point, under Poison Ivy's control or something, and they put as much into a Batman/Superman stealth/crazy gadget trick fight, as they did for the Mr.Freeze fight.

( Also I hope we get open world stuff for Robin/Nightwing, they are way too fun to just be stuck in Challenge Maps)

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    I'd like No Man's Land to be a DC Animated movie as well, instead of getting more Frank Miller stuff and probably Hush somewhere down the line.

• Options
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    I'd like No Man's Land to be a DC Animated movie as well, instead of getting more Frank Miller stuff and probably Hush somewhere down the line.

Why Hush? I was never impressed with that storyline.

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular

Why Hush? I was never impressed with that storyline.

Because they frequently say at cons that Long Halloween is one of their most requested adaptations, but since it doesn't really work as a film, they'd be much more likely to do Hush.

And because all of the non-JL, non-Batman, and non-Superman movies have been low sellers, so they've switched to a formula where they just rotate between Batman, Supes, and the League.

But All Star Superman didn't sell great, either, so it looks like they'll be shifting even more focus onto Batman in the future.

And they've already announced that they're not only making Dark Knight Returns into a film, but that they're splitting it into two films.

And Year One suuuuuucked.

• Options

I never heard anything about Year One - I didn't even think it had come out. I guess this is why.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

I never heard anything about Year One - I didn't even think it had come out. I guess this is why.

Ya, it just felt, flat, can't pin it down, but it just felt lifeless. Cranston did do a good Gordon tho.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Just found out that Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 has Iron Fist in it. Looks like I'm buying that game again :). I have no idea how he hasn't showed up in a Marvel fighting game before now.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Probably because until about six years ago, he was a C-list character.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I still don't know why Shuma Gorath ever got into the games.

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited February 2012

It was so bad. They tried to do that thing Rodriguez did with Sin City, where he kept all of Miller's tortured narration and dialogue. In Sin City, it felt like a nod to the over-the-top language of noir films. In Year One, it just felt hamfisted and stilted. On top of that, they had to compress everything so badly for time, that it really just strangled the flow of the story.

And the Catwoman short was laughably terrible.

On a positive note, I did like the animation.

Munch on
  • Options
    TexiKen wrote: »

To appeal to hentai fans?

• Options

he's big in Japan

• Options

Sucked? No way! It wasn't great, but I think it was fairly solid. Certainly no All Star Superman, but totally worth the rent (possibly even worth the buy if you're a big batman/catwoman fan).

I have to say I was EXTREMELY impressed with the Catwoman short. I dislike Catwoman... allot. But I'll be damned if the Catwoman short didn't have some of the greatest animated fight sequences I've ever seen. Every moment of Catwoman kicking ass was nearly as fun to watch as Batman laying the final beat down on Red Hood.

WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.

• Options
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    a-lot.png

You know, I think that comic actually cured me of my a lot vs allot problem. I type like I speak, and when I say a lot, it rolls off the tongue like allot. Hence the problem. Now I just need to master my to and too techniques.

Wishpig on

• Options
    Silver_MageSilver_Mage Registered User regular

Capcom just really likes the character. They even tried to offer marvel a trade for one of their characters for Shuma.

Also, a guy using Iron Fist in UMvC3 won the big fighting game tournament last summer. The whole crowd would chant, "Woo-wuu" when Iron Fist activated his power up moves.

This discussion has been closed.