As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Summer Slugfest Slamdown: Movies & More!

• Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    Justin Wong used Iron Fist really well in a lot of tournaments, but had to shelf him to counter ChrisG's horrible Morrigan spam team. Everyone keeps trying to get him to stop using Iron Fist, but Justin has some sort of hardon for him.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    Silver_MageSilver_Mage Registered User regular
    I think it's hilarious. After he won Evo Wong said he uses Iron fist "for the people."

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I think it's hilarious. After he won Evo Wong said he uses Iron fist "for the people."

What a champ!

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Mmmm...
    avengersposter2.jpg

• Options
    ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    I get the feeling Captain America is going to run around w/out his mask a lot in this movie.

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Man, I hate group shots where everyone looks pasted in and they're all looking off in random directions.

• Options
    ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    But notice none of them are looking at the explosion! Very important.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Arryn wrote: »
    But notice none of them are looking at the explosion! Very important.

Three are looking off the other side of the poster. Clearly something very important is happening off in that direction.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Here's how Iron Fist will look in the new Spider-Man cartoon:

detail.jpg
    http://marvel.com/news/story/18195/spider-man_his_ultimate_friends_iron_fist

Looks alright, I think. I wonder why they got rid of his boots.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    herojoeherojoe IndianapolisRegistered User regular
    That show doesn't sound anything like Ultimate Spider-Man.

steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Maybe they're going for minimalist takes on all of the characters for the show?

Weird to see hair sticking out of the mask, though.

• Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Nobody on that Avenger's poster can believe it's not butter.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm a bit dissapointed from what I heard about USM (cartoon). Looks nothing like USM.

Still, the people behind it are good so I'll give it a shot. They already had a great reimaging of young Spidey in Spectacular Spider-Man though. They should have kept that going if they weren't going to follow the USM template.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote:
    Yeah, I'm a bit dissapointed from what I heard about USM (cartoon). Looks nothing like USM.

Still, the people behind it are good so I'll give it a shot. They already had a great reimaging of young Spidey in Spectacular Spider-Man though. They should have kept that going if they weren't going to follow the USM template.
    They couldn't keep it going as it was produced by Sony and the Disney buyout prevented that deal from working ever again.

Besides USM has a great writing team behind it and has a general premise of "Spider-Man and his teenage allies(including goddamn Iron Fist and Nova)" fight various Marvel Universe baddies" which is awesome

plus the return of JK Simmons as J Jonah Jameson

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    And Clark Gregg as agent Phil Fucking Coulson.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    And Clark Gregg as agent Principal Phil Fucking Coulson.

• Options
    Looks like they kept Scarlett Johansson's ass out of the poster this time. Classy.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I'd really like to see Coulson make the jump to comics. Even if only in the Ultimate Universe.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    herojoeherojoe IndianapolisRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote:
    plus the return of JK Simmons as J Jonah Jameson

Okay now I'm sold.

steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I thought Justice League Doom wasn't that good, which bummed me out more than I thought it would. Animation wise it was mostly good, it had a more anime style to the faces, but you'd have a really nice Wonder Woman/Cheetah fight and then seconds later it felt like characters would look stiff and have little motion to them.

There was also just weird things that seemed out of place that you catch while watching, without it even being long enough to be considered fridge logic, that like this being the perfect opportunity to show the new DC logo in motion but it's the old swoosh, having Rosenbaum voice Flash, only this time it's Barry not Wally for some reason, and he walks around with a visible Flash Ring on his finger that would be hard to miss for even the laziest detective. Lois and Clark are married or at the very least she knows his secret, Mirror Master has an outfit that looks more like glass, why is Bane's Venom red instead of green, and a real on/off switch in terms of power fluctuations for fights. For instance Hal's fights never seem like he's using his ring in any definitive way, it's just by what the plot calls for. Oh, I have to kill some time in terms of the runtime for the first ten minutes, I'll chase this girl flying away for a bit instead of just putting up a construct wall in front of her to stop her. And the deviations from the Tower of Babel in terms of Bruce's contingency plans are a lot worse than the comic, particularly Hal's and Superman's. It never has that sense of betrayal that Waid's story had, because it never feels like they're in any danger, it's just a bigger inconvenience.

But the biggest thing is the crux of the story. It just doesn't work:
    So Vandal Savage wants to kill 2/3 of the world's population so he can guide the world and be the leader. So the Legion of Doom steals Bruce's contingency plan and implement it to distract the JLA, and prepare to fire a missile off to the sun that leaves a magnetic trail that will trigger a super solar flare that kills off the population facing the sun. The league beats Bruce's plan because Cyborg wasn't accounted for, and they go fight the Legion. The missile is launched, but Superman goes to save it, no big deal. But for some reason Superman is seemingly scared of the sun as the missile(s) get closer, instead of being even faster and powerful because that's kind of his whole thing. So the missile triggers the solar flare, and all this happens in minutes, which means Superman and the missile flew faster than the speed of light to get that close to the sun, but somehow Superman flies back so fast that the JLA still has the normal 8 minute distance from the sun to earth to stop the problem. Although, Superman could kind of absorb the solar flare and stand in its path because, again, he's a solar battery.

But the solution is to use some matter dematerializer thing Savage made to make the earth phase out of the path of the flare, after Green Lantern blocks the blast for enough time to hook it up to the watchtower.

And the final scene jabs at Tower of Babel even more because you don't get that real league divided sense the comic gave, where Superman has his sad face as he voted to kick Bruce out and Bruce just leaves because he knows that's Clark was going to vote.

Looks like Crisis on Two Earths is still the top dog, and I think Year One was good as well, this would be below All-Star Superman, I think.

• Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    I've been catching up on the DC animated movies lately, and while Crisis on Two Earths is good, holy shit Under the Red Hood is amazing. The animation is so fluid and the voice acting is so very, very good. It was tense and the pacing is just right. Who knew that Jensen Ackles would make a good voice actor? I mean, I like Supernatural, but I thought he would be shit. Neil Patrick Harris could stand to make his tone less light, but at least he's not present for the more dramatic second half.

As for the other movies, I like how the animation has gotten much better. The fight scenes, especially the ones with Wonder Woman, have been very intricate and well choreographed. I've gotten spoiled on anime and it's good to see Western cartoons catch up. Say what you will about many of the more stupid tropes in anime, but the Japanese animation studios are very talented and pump a huge amount of money in their work.

That said, the non-battles scenes in the DC animated movies can still use work. They usually involve the characters standing almost perfectly still and talking or we get to watch them walk or fly dramatically from a single angle. I get that animation is expensive but surely any competent director would mix it up a little.

Also, William Baldwin is a godawful Batman and he almost ruined Crisis on Two Earths for me.

• Options
    Crisis on Two Earth's was pretty good aside from totally not doing batman justice
    He's the most boring batman you've ever seen, AND he's a murderer! Seriously, not only does he flat out MURDER Owlman by lashing him to bomb right before it blows, but he also tricks Johnny Quick into vibrating fast enough to open a dimensional portal, which causes him to age so much that he dies less than a minute after he stops vibrating.

• Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Kyougu wrote:

They couldn't keep it going as it was produced by Sony and the Disney buyout prevented that deal from working ever again.

I thought it was up to Sony whether they wanted to keep on going or not.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    I'm watching Doom in a few, but the 40 minute Tribute to Dwayne McDuffie is pretty great, although there's a sort of cringe-y montage of youtube memorials mixed with the interviewees crying in slow motion at the end.

Also, it kind of jumps around and ignores all of the controversial or less successful moments in between his bigger accomplishments.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    I'm watching Doom in a few, but the 40 minute Tribute to Dwayne McDuffie is pretty great, although there's a sort of cringe-y montage of youtube memorials mixed with the interviewees crying in slow motion at the end.

Also, it kind of jumps around and ignores all of the controversial or less successful moments in between his bigger accomplishments.

DC made it, right? There's your answer.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Crisis on Two Earth's was pretty good aside from totally not doing batman justice
    He's the most boring batman you've ever seen, AND he's a murderer! Seriously, not only does he flat out MURDER Owlman by lashing him to bomb right before it blows, but he also tricks Johnny Quick into vibrating fast enough to open a dimensional portal, which causes him to age so much that he dies less than a minute after he stops vibrating.

Ehhhhh.
    In both situations, he was forced to either let those two die, or doom the Earth. And more crucially, he gave both a way out.

He told Johnny Quick straight-up that it would be dangerous, and Quick accepted it. Sure, he could have asked Flash to do it, but why sacrifice a good man, when a bad man was willing to do it?

And he left Owlman with plenty of time to save himself. He even begins to disarm the bomb, before resigning himself to his fate.

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Doom was pretty bad.

There are so many things that went wrong with it, both as an adaption as well as a Justice League story.

1. Vandal Savage is a poor substitution for Ra's Al Ghul, and his motivation and overall plot were totally loopy and hollow compared to Ra's original plot, which was probably one of the best things about the original story.
    2. The movie feels about twice its length because it falls back on the old Silver Age Superfriends formula of splitting all 7 characters up and then continuously jumping back and forth between all seven members. Honestly, the original Mark Waid story had this problem pretty bad as well, but so did the early episodes of Justice League, so you think Timm or someone would've caught this (then again, I'm not sure how far along the script was when McDuffie passed, so I can understand it if they didn't want to change it too radically).
    2a. Beyond the split, the addition of an actual full-fledged Legion of Doom just makes things worse by slowing the plot down more without really adding anything. None of them have any new tricks, none of them are defeated in any new or interesting way. It's just the same standard stock fight for each pairing. What's even worse is that you know from the beginning of the movie how everything is going to play out, so the fight scenes are not interesting at all.

I am pretty bummed out. What's worse is that after years of hearing only good stuff about it, I finally read the original Tower of Babel story yesterday, and I was completely underwhelmed by that as well. Waid can write a solid story with any one of those 7 characters on their own, but it felt like he really didn't fit the format of a fast-paced, action-oriented team book.

On the bright side, Superman vs The Elite looks great.

• Options
    Silver_MageSilver_Mage Registered User regular
    The preview for Superman vs. The Elite had a superman design that looked like a cave-man.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Am I the only one that saw this quote in the USM cartoon newslink and fist pumped?
    “With Iron Fist, he’s been so consistently portrayed over the decades, so we had a really strong understanding of who he is,” remarks Lane. “I will say that I think we’re all very inspired by the [Ed] Brubaker and [Matt] Fraction run on IMMORTAL IRON FIST, and the mythology [of the Iron Fist] is something we will touch on in later episodes.”

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    UK version of the new Avengers trailer, since it's the only version on youtube so far

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NPoHPNeU9fc

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Not going to lie. Some of those shots gave me goosebumps.

• Options
    MrRavenMrRaven Registered User regular
    Avengers trailer #2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tY9DnBNJFTI

Somehow this managed to make me even more excited about the movie.
    HULK CATCH!

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I don't care what anybody says. That looks fucking incredible.

• Options
    So many boners. The very last part, holy shit.

• Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    Agreeing with the Justice League Doom sentiments. I'd rather have seen a more accurate adaption of Tower of Babel, or a completely original story instead. I don't mind taking liberties with the source material at all, but Doom seemed content to do a half-assed job at sticking a few choice scenes and concepts from Tower of Babel without any regard to how it fit with the original parts of their story.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Furu wrote: »
    UK version of the new Avengers trailer, since it's the only version on youtube so far

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NPoHPNeU9fc

I am just gonna faint now, can someone give me some smelling salts on May 4th so I don't miss it tho?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    someone please tell me if that trailer has any major spoilers for action scenes or for plot...I'm trying to avoid another iron man 2 scenario where something really cool like the brief case suit is spoiled early on.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Guek wrote: »
    someone please tell me if that trailer has any major spoilers for action scenes or for plot...I'm trying to avoid another iron man 2 scenario where something really cool like the brief case suit is spoiled early on.

Your mileage will vary, but yes there's a bunch of cool shit in that trailer that might have a bigger impact on the big screen.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    Guek wrote: »

You're mileage will vary, but yes there's a bunch of cool shit in that trailer that might have a bigger impact on the big screen.

FML

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Slicer wrote: »
    Agreeing with the Justice League Doom sentiments. I'd rather have seen a more accurate adaption of Tower of Babel, or a completely original story instead. I don't mind taking liberties with the source material at all, but Doom seemed content to do a half-assed job at sticking a few choice scenes and concepts from Tower of Babel without any regard to how it fit with the original parts of their story.

I wonder what went wrong with Doom. Timm's handling of the their animation projects are generally better then from what I've heard about this. Their GL: First Flight & Wonder Woman were fantastic. Perhaps DCE or Johns' interfered behind the scenes to spite Waid.

This discussion has been closed.