As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Summer Slugfest Slamdown: Movies & More!

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Oddly enough, I'm starting to lose a bit of interest in DK. I mean, I'm sure it's going to be a great movie and all, but just watching that trailer confirms that it might be a bit too serious for me to really enjoy/get hyped about. Except for the bit at the end, everything in that trailer is so angsty and dark and dry.

Funny enough, that's the way I felt about The Dark Knight. Both it and Iron Man were released the same year, and people thought I was nuts for liking Iron Man more. But, the way I saw it, TDK was the better movie, but IM was far more fun. And I will always take fun over quality when it comes to movies.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    What I love about Nolan's take on Batman is he treats each movie like it's his bid at the Oscars. They just happen to star Batman.

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    It seems like the rumors about JGL's character may be true.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    MrRavenMrRaven Registered User regular
    Batman as a movement. Okay.

Well this line from "Batman Begins" supports that as how Nolan sees him:

As a man, I'm flesh and blood. I can be ignored, I can be destroyed. But as a symbol … as a symbol, I can be incorruptible. I can be everlasting.

• Options
    Right. I didn't think he was going to take it this far.

Since I'm not attached to Batman that is pretty cool. I would never have expected DC/TimeWarner to go through with it though.

/shrugs

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Bored of Batman now

Distinct lack of smashing up aliens

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I am glad they fixed Bane's voice.

• Options
    Inter_dInter_d Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Bored of Batman now

Distinct lack of smashing up aliens

It's strange...but I totally feel this way too.

• Options
    It's not strange. It's the same thing everyone else on the web is saying.

I'm more likely to see TDKR than Avengers (I'll see it on DVD in a year or two. I didn't see Iron Man 2 until last summer) even though I don't really care about either because I respect Nolan as a filmmaker, and even TDK has grown on me, which is weird because I hated it for a long time.

• Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

As Noir already said, I don't know if I'd call it "fixed". It sounds very out of place now. Yes, I'll take easy to understand over "Qsdkfglhnlkdfnldkfhnlkn" any day, but it still needs some tweaking; roughen it up a bit.

In this new trailer where he talks the first time, it still sounds as though that part hasn't been re-edited with the altered quality. I've watched it 3 times now, and I think he's saying "I am Gotham's reckoning", but I'm not positive.

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    TexiKen wrote: »

As Noir already said, I don't know if I'd call it "fixed". It sounds very out of place now. Yes, I'll take easy to understand over "Qsdkfglhnlkdfnldkfhnlkn" any day, but it still needs some tweaking; roughen it up a bit.

In this new trailer where he talks the first time, it still sounds as though that part hasn't been re-edited with the altered quality. I've watched it 3 times now, and I think he's saying "I am Gotham's reckoning", but I'm not positive.

That is what he's saying, I'm not sure if its just every vocal person on the internet has bad hearing or I have good hearing? It's really not that hard to understand him (especially in the latest trailer)

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    Batman looks good and you guys are crazy. I'm up for a third Nolan film. Though I will concede that I'm glad his tenure is ending after this one.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    It's just not the Batman I like

or at least, in Batman Begins it was a bit, but then less and less so in Dark Knight

and the whole ad campaign is so masturbatory with all the viral messaging and so on

Solar on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I feel like I've missed all the viral stuff for both this Batman movie and the last one. Or it doesn't seem to show up in any of the comic sites.

Is there going to be a Superman trailer at the beginning of Rises?

• Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    Nolan satisfies my need for a deep superhero movie that none of the other superhero movies can really provide.

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular

Since I'm not attached to Batman that is pretty cool. I would never have expected DC/TimeWarner to go through with it though.

/shrugs

Well, the seeds were also planted in the second movie, with the vigilantes dressing up as him. And then(or before?) the comic did a similar thing, which then also seemingly inspired that batman first person game. So I don't think DC or Timewarner have much an issue with it.

And are the rumors about JGL that he'll take over the bat mantle? That I would have a harder time believing that DC/TimeWarner would allow.

Jumping to another superhero movie, is anyone excited for Amazing Spiderman? It seems like as much as they have tried, there's very little buzz on that one-and I'm wondering if it's going to end up doing worse than expected because of it. I'm also curious how much of this would be the fault of the whole reboot thing. That is, would people be more excited if it was a Raimi follow up?

• Options
    My prediction is that ASM is going to tank this summer. People don't want to see an origin story they already know, and the villain (Lizard) looks very cheesy (honestly, they should've gone full raptor imho). ASM's best hope now is going for the tween romance crowd, but I'm guessing they'll flub the romance angle as well.

• Options
    lol ASM aint going to tank, it's just getting swallowed up by all the avengers / DKR media.

• Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    It seems like the rumors about JGL's character may be true.

Are the rumors about his character that he becomes Jean Paul Valley Batman and fights Bane in a super-awesome set of 90's Batarmor, but then Bruce has to come out of retirement and kick both their asses? Because that might get me to watch Dark Knight Returns.

• Options
    lol ASM aint going to tank, it's just getting swallowed up by all the avengers / DKR media.

I really wish they wouldn't cram all the comic book movies so close together. For goodness sake, spread them out a little! People can get so easily fatigued by too many comic book movies.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

/shrugs

Well, the seeds were also planted in the second movie, with the vigilantes dressing up as him. And then(or before?) the comic did a similar thing, which then also seemingly inspired that batman first person game. So I don't think DC or Timewarner have much an issue with it.

And are the rumors about JGL that he'll take over the bat mantle? That I would have a harder time believing that DC/TimeWarner would allow.

Jumping to another superhero movie, is anyone excited for Amazing Spiderman? It seems like as much as they have tried, there's very little buzz on that one-and I'm wondering if it's going to end up doing worse than expected because of it. I'm also curious how much of this would be the fault of the whole reboot thing. That is, would people be more excited if it was a Raimi follow up?

It all depends on how much control Nolan has over the franchise. Which is a lot, not sure if WB has given him limits or not. I'd be fine if DKR has Batman
    passing the mantle on to someone else like John Blake or Bruce dying. Hell of a way to end a trilogy. The mantle passing also goes around Bale's stipulation that Robin not appear in the films, too.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

It may be screwed like Hellboy 2 was. Which is a shame since the trailers and everything I've read about it look awesome.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I don't think ASM is going to flop, but I'll be shocked if it comes close to doing as well as Avengers, Batman, or even the past spider-man films.

• Options
    Let's not kid ourselves by comparing Spider-Man and Hellboy. Granted it probably won't do numbers like the previous trilogy, I would guesstimate around Thor/Captain America numbers.

• Options

It may be screwed like Hellboy 2 was. Which is a shame since the trailers and everything I've read about it look awesome.

So far, the trailers have made a big deal about the faux parkour, which isn't impressing me too much
    Let's not kid ourselves by comparing Spider-Man and Hellboy. Granted it probably won't do numbers like the previous trilogy, I would guesstimate around Thor/Captain America numbers.

Mmmm...I'm predicting that it'll underperform Captain America and Thor. But it'll probably rake it in when it comes to merchandising. IMHO, Spider-man has better merchandising abilities than Batman or the Avengers.

• Options
    Sony doesn't ever care for ASM, so no. They've even hired Orci/Kurtzman to replace the ASM writer on the sequel hoping to salvage something and keep Spider-Man.

• Options
    Sony doesn't ever care for ASM, so no. They've even hired Orci/Kurtzman to replace the ASM writer on the sequel hoping to salvage something and keep Spider-Man.

When it gets to the point that they're making crap sequels just to hang on to the license, its time to let it go man... Or at the very least, hire Roger Corman to do the crap sequels.

• Options
    I thought SyFy captured Corman and keeps him chained and locked in a dungeon until they drag him out like Buscemi in Con Air to film Eagle Bear vs. Trout Hawk.

• Options
    Isn't Roger Corman doing Pirahna 3DD?

• Options
    You realize that, 10 years from now, there will probably be a Muppets Avengers movie?

• Options
    There should be a Muppet Avengers movie RIGHT NOW.

• Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    I'm watching a Criminal Minds episode right now where Shemar Moore and Dina Meyer get to have a cast reunion yaaaay.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    The Avengers was really...uhh...

I get that you want a comics movie to be fun, but you can be fun and have a lot of character growth and story and stuff. And you can even have a simple story and make it feel really rewarding as a film. Heck, past marvel films have done this: the Iron Man movies and Captain America were pretty light on plot.

But Avengers is pretty much just dudes smashing dudes for 2 and a half hours, with about 15 minutes of character growth in the middle. And some people are going to love the shit out of that. But I wanted a little more.

So I'm looking forward to TDKR a little more.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Some friends on the west coast just saw The Avengers and it had two post-credit scenes. That second one is something.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    There should be a Muppet Avengers movie RIGHT NOW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OemNp6hgX4

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Some friends on the west coast just saw The Avengers and it had two post-credit scenes. That second one is something.

,,,well?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Oh, right.
    The Avengers are sitting in a blasted out restaurant enjoying a snack with a sense of ... understanding ... Post-battle.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    2 post credit scenes? two???
    I might see ASM but the only thing I have heard that is off putting about it is it's 3d only?

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    This is an outrage!

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Sadly,
    It's Banner chilling with the rest of the team. Because it'd have been a hundred times cooler to see Hulk sitting at this small table silently munching on schwarma.

This discussion has been closed.