As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines] Sequel incoming! (Q1 2020)

cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm RegentBears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
edited March 2019 in Games and Technology
bloodlinesbox.jpg

Collaborative effort between an old OP and Tycho's.

dMYGaql.jpg

Here, I'll let a friend clue you in.

vamp1063cc2.JPG
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines brings White Wolf's famous pen-and-paper role playing game to the back to the PC . For the first time players can explore the World of Darkness from a first person perspective in a game which utilizes Valve's striking Source Engine.

Unlike third person role playing games, Bloodlines will put you in the shoes of the character you control. You will get up close and personal with the brilliantly animated characters that populate the game world and tangled in the web of intrigue that is the staple of Troika Games' roleplaying titles.

You begin your journey this time in modern day Los Angeles as a newly embraced vampire. By creating you without the consent of your clan's Elders, your sire has violated one of vampire society's most hallowed laws. As punishment for the crime he has been put to death. Normally you would be expected to share the same fate but the newly installed Prince of Los Angeles thinks you might have some merit: you're a newly embraced vampire with no sire to guide you; you are unfamiliar with the world of vampires and their laws and customs. You would be useful and expendable pawn in his grand scheme.

You will employ a variety of firearms and skills such as computer hacking and lock picking as well as your devastating array of vampiric powers called Disciplines. And what would a game about vampires be if there wasn't some blood drinking?

You choose to play as a member of one of seven diverse and specialized vampire clans and you'll need to employ all of your preternatural skills to survive. You'll need to charm, sneak, intimidate and fight your way through the dangerous world the vampires inhabit and along the way decide just who you really owe your allegiance to.

With many different clans, as many as 5 different endings and the ability pursue several avenues of specialization as you upgrade your character, Bloodlines provides a great deal of replayability.

In beginning a game of Bloodlines, first and foremost, you'll want to decide your...

Clan

Isolated vampiric groups of varying origin. Each Clan offers a slightly different experience, both in terms of gameplay, and being treated differently by key NPCs.

They all see things differently.

tremere.gif
The Tremere - Cainite sorcerers and blood mages without peer.
Pros: Blood Magic! Great for keeping blood on endless tap, and turning groups of assailants to dust.
Swank haven. Strauss.
Cons: Tightly knit organization of upstarts who like to backstab one another. Expect to use up blood fast.
Strauss.

brujah.gif
The Brujah - Rebels and Anarchists who like to fight the powa.
Pros: Great for melee and wrecking faces. You're in good with the Anarchs.
Cons: Not favorably looked on by the more 'traditional' clans due to their short tempers, and since you're considered Anarchistic, most of the Camarilla hates you.

malkavian.gif
The Malkavians - Lunatics and Seers of insight beyond their knowing.

Pros: Best for a second game. You see behind the cracks to the truth of what's really going on in the game's storyline, albeit in skewed text. Dementation is like Thaumaturgy light. You might some friends at the Asylum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y33hGaEgW7U

Cons: Everyone thinks you're crazy. Because you are. Or maybe they are. Or maybe you all are.

toreador.gif
The Toreador - Artistes.

Pros: Gifted socialites, great for manipulating the lesser folk. Not good in an up-close fight, though.
Use guns. Lots of guns. Good fashion options. Hollywood will offer some helpful folk.
Cons: Tend to exclude others from their cool-kids club. Nosferatu really hate you.

gangrel.gif
The Gangrel - Feral vampires who prefer the wild to the city streets.

Pros: Great for melee, living off the wilderness. Beckett's likely your best friend.
Cons: The more they frenzy(go crazy), the more they go beasty. Recently left the Camarilla due to a massive disagreement, so don't expect many Cammie companions.

nosferatu.gif
The Nosferatu - outcasted vampires of nightmarish appearances.

Pros: Very tightly knit, and they look out for one another. Also, cheap living arrangements.
Your only real friends are in the sewers, those cast lower than you. But they're nothing if not loyal.
Cons: Those living arrangements mean the sewers. Also, walking breach of the Masquerade.
You can not be seen in public without some form of disguise, whether natural or otherwise.

ventrue.gif
The Ventrue - scions of vampiric society, they keep order where otherwise there would be madness.

Pros: Born leaders, snappy dressers. Keep the Camarilla intact. LaCroix is your best friend, if no one else's.
Great with guns, and telling lesser folk what to do; whether they like it or not.
Cons: Picky eaters. No feeding off rats for you. Also, they have a nice convenient target painted on their back so the Sabbat know who to kill first.

How do I play?
Step one: Buy the game! Steam has it and it's fully compatible with the fan patches (more on that later). You could wait until Halloween when it customarily goes on sale but honestly it's one of the best games ever made so buying it now isn't a bad idea.

Steam will patch it but otherwise you'll desperately need the 1.2 patch. It's included in the unofficial patches though, which you should probably grab unless you're Malkavian.

The World of Darkness is a dangerous place, even for vampires, and it's even more dangerous when it crashes all the time.
Because this is a Troika game, it's buggy, and because Troika went out of business, it stayed buggy even after 1.2.
This is where the fan patches come in. It's possible to play more or less without them, but you have a chance of running into a crash bug that will end your game or some crap like that, so really, why bother unless you're Cardboard Tube or a masochist? Or both.

This is the place to pick up the latest patch.
There's many, many more on the Steam DBs, too.

To make a long, tedious debate short, you basically just want to download the latest patch by Wesp and install it.
When asked, go for the bugfix install, not the "Plus" install, which changes a bunch of stuff that you can bother with on your 4th time through or whatever.
(Keep in mind it adds a lot of stuff to the game that's bordering on fanfiction territory. In fact, most of it IS outright fanfiction.)

Are you sure I should buy this?
Yes, you should definitely get the game. Here are some of the people you'll meet:

R9fvXUa.jpg
Velvet Velour - Velvet is a beautiful woman who only wants to have sex with you. She will never ask you for a favor and would not think of manipulating you.

FfxvtMs.jpg
Ming Xiao - Ming is a beautiful woman who only wants to have sex with you. She is inherently trustworthy and has your best interests at heart.

smG9d2F.jpg
Heather - Heather is a beautiful mortal woman whose life you can save if you want to. She only wants to have sex with you. Despite your status as an inhuman monster who feeds on the blood of the living to survive, she is grateful that you saved her life and spends most of the game living contentedly under your protection. Life is pretty awesome for her and she doesn't really have many of the problems that other characters in the game do.

AxkBR0N.jpg
Venus - Venus is a beautiful woman who wants to have sex with you. She's a bartender in a club. She's not a very important character in the grand scheme of things. Or is she?

a8yq1qW.jpg
Jeanette and Therese Voerman - Jeanette's the only one who wants to have sex with you but both are beautiful. These two sisters are major players in Santa Monica and they're all business. They've got it together and work together as a well oiled machine. Don't even worry about anything if you take a job from them: just do what they say and there won't be any complications. Do the work, get paid. If only everything were that simple.

eQhNzRQ.jpg
Sebastian LaCroix - LaCroix is the "prince" of Los Angeles and, being French, is a beautiful man who only wants to have sex with you. He is so powerful that he has no need to backstab or trick you and spends most of the game helping you out and being your pal.

NXCxgbP.jpg
Calico Jack the Pirate Captain of Yore - Also known as "Jack," his voice actor is the guy who did Bender in Futurama. He's the nicest of all the vampires, even though he doesn't want to have sex with you, and leads you through the tutorial. This is only the first of many times he does something nice for you without ever wanting anything in return. He keeps no secrets from you and is entirely selfless in his dealings with you.

Pretty much everyone you meet is this helpful. Not to even mention the ghost of a serial killer who guides you through a rickety old hotel so that you don't fall through the stairs and hurt yourself, or the obliging werewolf who protects you when you're all alone in an observatory in the woods! There's even an insane scientist who opens his luxurious mansion to you so that you can be safe from a vampire hunter who wants to kill you with fire.

Oh, also:

DHiORcm.jpg
Pisha - Pisha eats people. (Sex is inadvisable.)

Those Guys are Neat but What About Me?
As already mentioned, you play as a newly "embraced" vampire. Your sire gets the axe about 2 minutes into the game for breaking the "vampire society before hos" rule or something, and you're left to fend for yourself. Your choice of "clan" drastically changes your play style: a Ventrue will find easy acceptance into vampire society and will be able to manipulate mortals to do their bidding, whereas a Nosferatu will find himself confined to the sewer system so as not to violate the "Masquerade," the set of rules set up by vampires so that people don't figure out wtf is up (otherwise we'd have a mob scene on our hands).

Play as a Brujah and you'll basically get to punch a lot of people, play as a Toreador and make lovey-dovey eyes at stuff and recite bad poetry, or play as a Malkavian and be batshit insane. You will hear newscasters speak secret messages to you and you will have conversations with a stop sign (sample dialog choice). Other choices include vampires who use blood to do magic tricks that kill people and vampires that have dreadlocks.

You can choose to be a melee character or a ranged combat character (the choice is a little more nuanced) but like, say, Deus Ex, the fun isn't from the combat but from the deep, intricate world, the story and characters, and the voice acting, although in this case it's fantastic voice acting instead of hilariously bad.

More Info Tell me more about the World of Darkness
This Wiki has a lot of fun info and we have several WoD scholars here on the forums.
Fun fact: White Wolf, the WoD guys, are now safe from the mismanagement of the guys behind EvE and now have a cozy home with Paradox Interactive.

I have a 64 bit OS and V:TM - B doesn't like me
Have I got a link for you!

So who do I play as?

You decide.

tremere.jpg

Or better yet, join House and Clan.

Just take a little sip from the cup.

What could it hurt? You're already dead.

wVEsyIc.png
cj iwakura on

• CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Such a great game, they had a great bargain on STEAM for it a few days ago, only five bucks.

The stuff people did with mods for the game is quite amazing.

Cade on
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Cade wrote: »
    Did? The last time I checked, a couple of months ago, the modding scene for this game was still very much alive. But not as lively as once it was, but still...

WotanAnubis on
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Such a great game, they had a great bargain on STEAM for it a few days ago, only five bucks.

Goddamn it really?

Been waiting for it to go on sale for ages.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Do you mean D2D? I don't think Vampire has been on sale on Steam for three years.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Good game, definitely. Too bad about Troika, VTMB and Arcanum we both really good.

Rhan9 on
  • WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Great game, but the fan patch caused more problems than it solved for me.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Is there any way to roll back the fan patch aside from reinstalling?

joshofalltrades on
    edited May 2011
    Do you mean D2D? I don't think Vampire has been on sale on Steam for three years.

Oh yes do believe you are right.

Are they as good as Gog in making sure games work right when you start them from day one? Steam isn't as good for older games and got no clue about any other sources.

Cade on
  • samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Is it wrong that I find that the sexy characters in the game is Pisha and Therese?

samurai6966 on
    edited May 2011
    Not really.

Some fan mods though.....

Cade on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Thanks for making the thread, cj. It's heartening to see a broken-ass game with a fairly mediocre final act still getting so much love. This game is so good it almost turned me into a goth.*

*Not a true story.

TychoCelchuuu on
    edited May 2011
    Wow, dude. You are really an ass. Why do people who hate something always post in it's threads? It's like buying a Harry Potter book just to burn it.

samurai6966 on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Uh, you do know he made half of the OP, right? :P They're common complaints.

I disagree, mind, but doesn't make them invalid.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited May 2011
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Uh, you do know he made half of the OP, right? :P They're common complaints.

I disagree, mind, but doesn't make them invalid.

I didn't know. But for some reason it's the buggy game that I love. Hell, when someone asked me why I love Alpha Protocol, I like to say it's VtM:B and Mass Effect had a baby and it loved it's mother VtM:B more.

samurai6966 on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Wow, dude. You are really an ass. Why do people who hate something always post in it's threads? It's like buying a Harry Potter book just to burn it.

Maybe he should have used more smileys so that you didn't completely misinterpret his post? I didn't read his post at all as being dickish.

More like the kind of tone you use with your old dog. He's a mangy old mutt, he's lost bladder control, he smells and he limps but by god you love him.

Dhalphir on
    edited May 2011
    Dhalphir wrote: »

Maybe he should have used more smileys so that you didn't completely misinterpret his post? I didn't read his post at all as being dickish.

More like the kind of tone you use with your old dog. He's a mangy old mutt, he's lost bladder control, he smells and he limps but by god you love him.

Maybe I'm a bit of a dick but I normally shot that dog.

samurai6966 on
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Yeah, that's being a silly goose.

Most good games have flaws. Noting them isn't spitting on 'em. Usually a sign of a healthy affection, rather than RPG Codex horribleness.

Like how Deus Ex fans always joke about the voice acting.

chiasaur11 on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    or the fact that a supersoldier who just completed years of training cannot shoot a gun to save his life, but after a few nights of sneaking around various bases (and perhaps not even actually doing any shooting) he suddenly figures it out.

Dhalphir on
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's your new leg o' lamb - your new champagne. Hell, it's your new fuckin' heroin, kid!

Jintor on
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I love the OP's "People who want to have sex with you" bit.

Forgot about it since the old thread took so long to die, and I never checked the OP there.

BlackDove on
    edited May 2011

FWIW V:TM-B, AP, and Arcanum are three of my top 10 games.

TychoCelchuuu on
    edited May 2011
    so i just got to the part in this game where I'm in Los Angeles, I've just finished the museum segment, and come back and the prince got all mad at a dude named Gary. I've completed the plague bearer side quest too. Before I head down the main questline again, is there any sidequests that I have to actually hunt for in this game or are they all pretty much along the beaten path?

Dhalphir on
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Goddamn it really?

Yeah, when was that?

Damnit people stop talking about this game so much.

I have too many games to play!

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    BlackDove wrote: »
    I love the OP's "People who want to have sex with you" bit.

Forgot about it since the old thread took so long to die, and I never checked the OP there.

+1

Jintor on
    edited May 2011
    There are only 2 games you need to play.

Vampire the Masquerade and LA: Noire

After that, play any game you think you want to play.

samurai6966 on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It is rather scary this game just filled a thread years after it's release.

It is more scary that I am now fighting the urge to reinstall it.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Man is it glitchy as fuck and the ending kinda falls apart gameplay wise.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited May 2011
    I have installed this game 4 times in my life.

And I've only finished it twice.

samurai6966 on
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

So, not Deus Ex?

chiasaur11 on
  • WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    so i just got to the part in this game where I'm in Los Angeles, I've just finished the museum segment, and come back and the prince got all mad at a dude named Gary. I've completed the plague bearer side quest too. Before I head down the main questline again, is there any sidequests that I have to actually hunt for in this game or are they all pretty much along the beaten path?

Definitely some things off the beaten path. First time through I missed some minor characters outright.

WhiteZinfandel on
    edited May 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

So, not Deus Ex?

To be honest, I've never played it. I've never had a computer that could play it.

samurai6966 on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I finished Deus Ex not long ago. Good music, and I like how indepth the variety is, but I like Bloodlines much, much more.

I could be biased by having played V:TM first.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    anoffday wrote: »

Goddamn it really?

Yeah, when was that?

Damnit people stop talking about this game so much.

I have too many games to play!

New thread rule: If VTMB goes on sale someone must mention it.

Neaden on
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

So, not Deus Ex?

To be honest, I've never played it. I've never had a computer that could play it.
    Not even now? My computer sucks and I can play Deus Ex no problem.

anoffday on
    edited May 2011
    anoffday wrote: »

So, not Deus Ex?

Not even now? My computer sucks and I can play Deus Ex no problem.

And it's years behind bloodlines, technically. Odd to say the least.

chiasaur11 on
  • Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Whoa, I didn't realize that many people wanted to have sex with me!

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
    edited May 2011

So, not Deus Ex?

If you can play V:TM - B you can play Deus Ex. V:TM - B is basically Deus Ex plus vampires.

TychoCelchuuu on
    edited May 2011
    Deus Ex hasn't aged particularly well, either. It should play fine.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited May 2011
    Maybe I'm just weird and like how older games look, but I still think it looks awesome.

anoffday on
  • Cannon GooseCannon Goose I need some GAGS! If only I had my gag book!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, I still think Deus Ex looks great.

Cannon Goose on
This discussion has been closed.