As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Killed the Marine [Arizona Police Stupidity Thread]

Put_a_quarter_in_the_heroPut_a_quarter_in_the_hero Registered User new member
edited May 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
I wouldn't bring this to everyone's attention if I didn't feel it was important. Please take a look at what occured in Pima County, Arizona.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/25/jose-guerena-arizona-_n_867020.html

mod edit: This is a terrible OP. It is almost devoid of content. The thread is not being locked only because it now has three pages of solid discussion that arose despite a terrible OP. Note to other people: DON'T DO THIS. GIVE A SUMMARY OF WHAT IT IS YOU WISH TO DISCUSS INSTEAD OF JUST A LINK TO A STORY.

Put_a_quarter_in_the_hero on

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Oh shit.

Though, you might want to make the title a little more descriptive.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    His family will get a ton of money from that PD, but it's not going to change anything.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I stopped reading when it said that when SWAT arrived, the guy grabbed an assault rifle and told his wife and kid to go hide.

Atomika on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    He confronted a SWAT team at the end of a hallway with a rifle in his hands? This is a terrible thing that happened but, assuming that's true, that seems like a silly thing to have done. ESPECIALLY if he was a Marine and innocent.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I've read articles that say he had no way of knowing it was the police .... which if true would explain the rifle

Xaquin on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Is it somehow different because they kicked in the door and shot a veteran? This has been an ongoing, quiet thing for years now.

http://www.cato.org/raidmap/

The war on drugs and 9/11 gave small police forces big money for big, well equipped SWAT teams. But then, they have to "use it or lose it" in the classic governmental budgeting wisdom.

The real problem here is that you need a big police force to have the numbers to separate those who should be SWAT from those who shouldn't, and you need a big coverage area with lots of people to honestly justify having a SWAT team. Or, you hire every swinging dick who wants a real big popgun, and you use the SWAT team in grossly inappropriate scenarios in order to justify its existence.

Robman on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So they went in unannounced and shot first?

Is this Arizona's best Indiana impression?

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Only if you assume he knew they were the police, otherwise arming yourself (and keeping the safety on) makes sense.

Maybe it's just me, but if a group of strangers with guns breaks into my house, the last thing I'm thinking is 'it must be the police.' I imagine if two family members had been murdered during home invasions I'd feel that even more strongly.

Invisible on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    What the article left out was the part where his wife saw armed men outside their house, thought it was a home invasion (as one had recently happened in the area) and screamed for her husband, who then armed himself. He didn't know it was SWAT when they kicked the door in.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    a5ehren wrote: »
    His family will get a ton of money from that PD

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

no they won't

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    I thought I was going to read about another beheading in the Middle East when I clicked this thread.

What I read was much worse.

The police came in all amped and ready to shoot without pause. It sounds like they didn't even announce they were the police so this guy thought he was going to have to defend himself. Then they lied about it to make it sound like he opened up on them.

Christ what a fucking cluster fuck.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Jesus Christ.

I can't help but agree with this part of the article
    The alternate explanation -- and I think the more plausible one -- is that Guerena thought the men breaking into his home were criminals, but held his fire until he was sure. (That's also the mark of someone well-trained in gun safety, and a stark contrast to the SWAT team, which despite never receiving hostile fire, unleashed a barrage of bullets that penetrated not only Jose Guerena but, according to sources I spoke with, also the walls of neighboring homes.)

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    What the article left out was the part where his wife saw armed men outside their house, thought it was a home invasion (as one had recently happened in the area) and screamed for her husband, who then armed himself. He didn't know it was SWAT when they kicked the door in.

Aren't SWAT teams plainly labeled tho? I thought they had big, white "SWAT" on their chests and back.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    No words... it's just awful.

Magic Pink wrote: »

Aren't SWAT teams plainly labeled tho? I thought they had big, white "SWAT" on their chests and back.

That's probably why he held his fire once they were in the house.

spool32 on
  • Options
    TwoQuestionsTwoQuestions Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Why the hell do the police forces have their own small military?

Why don't we just use stateside special forces like the British do, especially if they're intent on going in and shooting everything that moves?

EDIT: as Kyougu said, an actual military force would cause less collateral damage as well.

Wait, this is Arizona, are these Sheriff Joe's cronies?

TwoQuestions on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I thought I was going to read about another beheading in the Middle East when I clicked this thread.

What I read was much worse.

The police came in all amped and ready to shoot without pause. It sounds like they didn't even announce they were the police so this guy thought he was going to have to defend himself. Then they lied about it to make it sound like he opened up on them.

Christ what a fucking cluster fuck.

Yeah, I'm really trying to find where they said they announced themselves. That's an important bit missing.

I don't think they ever said he opened fire on them, tho, just that he had a rifle in his hands.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »
    So they went in unannounced and shot first?

Is this Arizona's best Indiana impression?

Dude look at the map I linked. This isn't an Arizona, Indiana or even Nebraska thing. This is a US of A thing. Small county police departments are using their SWAT teams in lieu of regular officers, causing absurd levels of violence.

A SWAT team trains all day to bust down the door and quickly overwhelm whatever resistance they find inside. They train to open fire if they see a gun-like object. If you're a marijuana prescribing doctor, you'd better hope to high hell that you're not holding a hair dryer when the local PD busts down your bathroom door.

Robman on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »

It's not mandatory to put it on the uniform. Do a quick google image search and you'll see there's no standard for identification on the uniform. Which there should be, I mean, it's a raid team, not an undercover group.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    does seem a bit excessive for a suspected marijuana grower

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Why don't we just use stateside special forces like the British do, especially if they're intent on going in and shooting everything that moves?
    Posse Comitatus. It's kind of a big deal, here.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Last year, Cpl. Norman Smith, a veteran of the Dallas police force gang unit whose wife was also a veteran on the same force, served a warrant to a suspect in an apartment building.

In an effort to reduce the chances of hostilities, the uniformed gang unit knocked on the door and asked anyone inside to come out.

Corporal Smith was fatally shot by bullets that came through the closed door.

Atomika on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I stopped reading when it said that when SWAT arrived, the guy grabbed an assault rifle and told his wife and kid to go hide.
    I know. It's pretty ridiculous for a guy who wasn't engaged in any sort of criminal activity, whose sister-in-law and husband were murdered in a home invasion a year before, and who is awoken in the middle of the day (he worked graveyard shift) by armed intruders breaking down his door unannounced to grab his gun and tell his wife and kid to hide.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Thanatos wrote: »

I am a simple man, perhaps you could help me

Hostage_Situation_P_377932b.jpg
    us_soldierIraq_1410668c.jpg

One of these men is a soldier, one of them is a police officer

I am having trouble telling them apart

Robman on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

EDIT: as Kyougu said, an actual military force would cause less collateral damage as well.

I wondered this as well. They fired 70 bullets? And hit him with 60? Dear god, what the hell? Was Sheriff Joe riding a tank outside waving his cowboy hat around?

Damn Arizona.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    the police officer is noticably fatter

and is also holding a rifle with only one hand

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Last year, Cpl. Norman Smith, a veteran of the Dallas police force gang unit whose wife was also a veteran on the same force, served a warrant to a suspect in an apartment building.

In an effort to reduce the chances of hostilities, the uniformed gang unit knocked on the door and asked anyone inside to come out.

Corporal Smith really should have stood to the side of the door, like everyone always does when they knock on suspect's doors.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Jesus Christ, them's the fucking breaks. You sign up to be a cop, you might get fucking shot. It happens. That doesn't mean you get to go in guns blazing for no other reason than your SWAT team hasn't had a workout in awhile.

Oh, wait, I forgot; this is America, that's exactly what it means.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Conspiracy Theory: The marine was actually part of Seal Team Six and this is part of the cover up.

But seriously, this is awful.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Robman wrote: »

You must have mistaken me saying it's a big deal for me saying it's not kind of stupid and pointless.

Because it is kind of stupid and pointless. But the moment you start asking the military to act as SWAT teams, you'll have the crazies coming out of the woodwork shouting about black helicopters and the NWO.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Wandering HeroWandering Hero Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Your point is that it is better to open fire on an armed man defending his home that hasn't fired a shot at you is a better way to handle this?

If

A) I owned a gun
    B) Armed men broke into my home
    C) They did not announce who they were

I would have done the same thing. Though I don't think I would stand at the end of the hallway and give them opportunity to fire at me, either.

The fat one is the police officer.

Wandering Hero on
    Not today.
  • Options
    TwoQuestionsTwoQuestions Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

You must have mistaken me saying it's a big deal for me saying it's not kind of stupid and pointless.

Because it is kind of stupid and pointless. But the moment you start asking the military to act as SWAT teams, you'll have the crazies coming out of the woodwork shouting about black helicopters and the NWO.

Especially because the act Thanatos was talking about is entirely due to the traitor states after the Civil War bitching about soldiers being used as cops during the Restoration.

If you've been to the Primaries thread, the crazies are already out in full force, and have been since the President hasn't been white.

Using actual military personnel instead of wannabe Marines would work much better for this sort of thing, given that's exactly what our military has been doing over in Iraq and Afghanistan for the last few years.

TwoQuestions on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    ..and now I am depressed. That poor family.

southwick on
  • Options
    badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The part most people are missing is that the family of the man's wife had been killed, including the kids, in a home invasion. It's pretty clear that he didn't know they were cops but was smart enough to not just start firing.

This isn't an isolated occurrence. This was from a USA Today blog about an incident in MN with SWAT knocking down the door of a home after they messed up the address (USA Today link was expired but I remembered the story so I Googled it up):
    A Minneapolis police SWAT team kicked in the wrong door yesterday during an early morning raid, prompting the man of the house to grab his gun and open fire on the officers who entered the house.

"He took out his shotgun and he said if they are bad guys I'll shoot, I'll scare them away," Dao Khang, the brother of the homeowner, Vang Khang, tells the Star Tribune. "He fired first, he told me it was two shots."

Dao Khang says his brother was trying to protect his wife and six children. No one from the family was hit during the exchange of gunfire. Vang hit two officers, but the Pioneer Press says they were protected by ballistic vests and helmets.

"I must've heard over 20 or 30 shots, I swear, it was scary," Ruth Hayes, the family's next-door neighbor, tells WCCO-TV. "It was like 30 SWAT guys out here ... it was crazy it was just like havoc."

KARE-TV reports that Vang was detained at the scene and released a few hours later. Police say there may have been a "language barrier" between the residents and the officers.

"It was some bad information that was received on the front end that kind-of trickled all the way through," police Sgt. Jesse Garcia tells the station. "It's unfortunate because we have officers that were hit by gunfire and this truly, truly could have been a much worse situation."

Police haven't decided whether they'll try to charge Khang with a crime. KMSP-TV says the Khang family is consulting with a civil attorney.

badpoet on
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

The soldier looks like a fucking professional and the police officer is the one that looks like a jackass in a costume.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    YorkerYorker Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Fuck, this is terrible.

Haven't these assholes played SWAT 4?

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
  • Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    SniperGuy wrote: »

I wondered this as well. They fired 70 bullets? And hit him with 60? Dear god, what the hell? Was Sheriff Joe riding a tank outside waving his cowboy hat around?

Damn Arizona.

Was he waving a sword screaming "Get closer!!" while this was going on? Fuck me the US is scary sometimes.

hawkbox on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So there is a reasonable consensus that there is a de facto military police force in the USA.

Maybe it's time for the laws to be changed so that the military (or paramilitary if you prefer) police force can come from the state level so that county bumpkins lose their big guns and armored vehicle privileges.

Robman on
  • Options
    badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Robman, for one thing states are big. You could do regional ones and have them under state jurisdiction, but there is something to be said for having a tactical force available in minutes instead of hours.

badpoet on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    HuffPo wrote:
    The Pima County Sheriff's Department initially claimed (PDF) Guerena fired his weapon at the SWAT team. They now acknowledge that not only did he not fire, the safety on his gun was still activated when he was killed.... The Pima County Sheriff's Office has now changed its story several times over the last few weeks.
    This is the part that always sends me ballistic. Their first instinct is to lie, cover things up, or at least attempt to do so.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

We do?

I mean I know they were employed in doing so during the troubles, but I'm sure that nowadays we use CO19 (Swat analog), armed response units, and such for anything that falls under police juristiction.

Leitner on