As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bitching Thread VI] A Brand New Day (for bitching)

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Yeah, Batman Earth One pretty much is Ultimate Batman and is the best thing Johns has written in a while.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Yeah, Batman Earth One pretty much is Ultimate Batman and is the best thing Johns has written in a while.

The only thing I didn't care for was the fact that it didn't have a compelling villain, but I can see why he wouldn't want to waste someone more major than Penguin on an origin story. Villains in origin stories always get shorted.

And the next one has The Riddler, which should be fun.

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Ugh, I thought it was basically Ultimate Superman. Reimagining it for today's audience.

That scene just seemed to miss the core of the character so badly. More than

Ha, JMS is the last person you should get if you want a writer who understands the audience of today's youth.

I think giving Jimmy Olsen a blog was the best he could do on that front.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    JMS is the worst

film at eleven

• Options
    herojoeherojoe IndianapolisRegistered User regular
    Munch wrote: »
    Amigu wrote: »
    I have also witnessed enough people (men and women) who are "totally nerds" when it suits them and it's pretty annoying. I don't know if it's massive fb rant by a prominent artist level annoying but I get it.

For comic book fans, I think there's an extra facet, in that nerds are a very xenophobic group, and we resent people co-opting the hobby that made many of us the target of bullying or general schoolyard torment. It's this feeling of, "This wasn't cool enough for you normal people when you made fun of my Spider-Man shirt, or tore up my Batman comic, so you shouldn't get to enjoy it, now that it's considered generally acceptable."

This one really sucks. I totally just flash backed to having my copy of Ultimate Marvel Magazine being thrown on the ground at recess. :-(

steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    sweetcreamscoopssweetcreamscoops Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »

The only thing I didn't care for was the fact that it didn't have a compelling villain, but I can see why he wouldn't want to waste someone more major than Penguin on an origin story. Villains in origin stories always get shorted.

And the next one has The Riddler, which should be fun.

I thought birthday boy was good as he was basically what Bruce pictured his eight year old self as, a monster. As far penguin, I completely agree that he sucked but the way he was taken out made it all worth it. Another thing this book had going for it was "Liam Neason" Alfred.

• Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    Superman: Earth One Vol. 2 had a lot more problems than just being "grittier"

And the fact that he seems to have a fundamental misunderstanding of the character

Try for instance that nobody sounds like an actual human.

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    herojoe wrote: »
    Munch wrote: »
    Amigu wrote: »
    I have also witnessed enough people (men and women) who are "totally nerds" when it suits them and it's pretty annoying. I don't know if it's massive fb rant by a prominent artist level annoying but I get it.

For comic book fans, I think there's an extra facet, in that nerds are a very xenophobic group, and we resent people co-opting the hobby that made many of us the target of bullying or general schoolyard torment. It's this feeling of, "This wasn't cool enough for you normal people when you made fun of my Spider-Man shirt, or tore up my Batman comic, so you shouldn't get to enjoy it, now that it's considered generally acceptable."

This one really sucks. I totally just flash backed to having my copy of Ultimate Marvel Magazine being thrown on the ground at recess. :-(

I guess I'm the only one doing the "I told you so" dance in those people's faces.

Seriously.

Ran into a high school asshole at GenCon a couple of years ago. It was hilarious to see him obsessing over a MtG set. And to point out how he tore through a bunch of my nerdherd's commons back in the day. Then his girlfriend shows up in costume. You cannot imagine how much willpower it took not to lord that whole nerd thing over him. I did have a great laugh once I got back to my hotel room, tho.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    Getting made fun of for being a geek is such a foreign concept to me. Sure, kids in grade school treated me like crap, but it was never over things like videogames or my glasses. In fact, I got into comics around my senior year in highschool and once or twice got asked by someone to show them what I was reading.

• Options
    Back then I wasn't into comics so much as I was wargaming (which I am still into big time)

and wargaming used to get me some shit I can tell you

• Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    Looks like I'm going to attend a writer's panel that has Robert Kirkman on it on Sunday.

Should I ask him, "What happened with Ultimate X-Men?"

• Options
    RedDeliciousRedDelicious Registered User regular
    He's addressed that several times, I believe.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Link?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    He's addressed it by writing countless other terrible things many times over

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Don't you mean by writing "new ideas" like zombies and teen superheroes.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Harris is still at it. :?

http://www.bleedingcool.com/forums/front-page-comic-news/64297-"hey-quasi-pretty-not-hot-girl-you-more-pathetic-than-real-nerds"-tony-harris-update.html
    So heres my follow up commentary. Tried to "engage" my detractors on Twitter. Big mistake. Not gonna backpeddle. Not one step. I tried to be clear at the beginning by saying I know there are legit Cosplayers who know the material and love it. So if you wanna gloss over that and accuse my statements as being all inclusive of Cosplay, then blow me. See, this is why I posted this HERE, on MY page. You dont like it? Leave. Dont threaten to stop buying my work, because Im sure most of you who threw that gauntlet down, never did to begin with. Good riddance. Hey all you self righteous fuck-faces out there who are spewing even MORE hatred at me, than you accused me of spewing. pfffft. Really, thats how you come at me? Once you have moved on to hate on someone else....Good Riddance. But the one thing I HAVE to address is the use of the word MISOGYNY. So I am a Misogynist? Why? Because I frown upon Posers who are sad, needy fakers who use up all my air at Cons? Sorry, while you Cos"Play" Im actually at work. Thats my office. Fuck you. I actually dont hate women, I dont fear them either. Nor do I mistrust them. I do not portray or Objectify half naked women in my work. I never have. I have always been VERY vocal about my dislike of that practice, and that my view is and has been that Tampa in comics is a Pox. If you wanna come at me with accusations of Misogyny and sexism, youll be wrong. I think there are several Hundred "PRos" I could rattle off that are doing a fine job of perpetuating that crap without ANY help from me. Its not helping to further our industry. Hey haters, Im not sad, lonely, stupid, uneducated, gay, nor do I wear Assess for a Hat. Im not a Sexist, and have been very vocal about the fact that its a GOOD thing to see so many female fans at shows, and I treat them with the same kindness and respect as I do ANY male fan I meet. I guess the one mistake I made in my original post was that I excluded Men. Let me rectify that...... SOME of you MEN, are as bad as SOME of the Women Cosplayers, I talked about earlier. There. Oh and to all of you guys who are my friends, and pros who I work with, dont go and try and defend me or anything I wrote. Youll just get shit on. Thanks though. And lastly, Bleeding Cool, and Rich Johnston are Shithead, scumbags, and this isnt the first time his camp has come after me. Fuck you Rich.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSvJaYxRoB4

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Rich Johnson and Bleeding Cool are shit though

that's the truth

otherwise

hey, Tony Harris

fuck

off

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Well, at least he's right about Bleeding Cool

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Damn it, Solar. Don't fucking summon RJ.

That said, goddamn this fucking cocksucking motherfucking goose. To think that I paid him money for a commission is just infuriating.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    gotta face those demons some day crimson

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    That's insane. His rationale of play and work is about as stupid as that Russia Today channel where they went to the SDCC and whined about how all these people were spending money on things when they should have been spending that money to help the impoverished. It's just like, why can't people have fun and a hobby anymore?

And a last ditch appeal to go after the bigger bad guy at the end, when Harris was so proud of his post he asked for people to pass it around, it's just ridiculous. I'm pretty sure The Beat went after Harris a lot more for his remarks.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Well, at least we know that he wasn't drunk this time as he made somewhat of an effort to form a coherent sentence. But yeah, can we form a kickstarter to build a canon to fire Harris into the sun.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    UGH

My biggest beef wasn't even with sexism or anything. It's this idea of "posers" and what makes someone a "real fan". The question is easy. Do you like this thing y/n? If yes, then you are a "real fan".

It's like if I got up in arms because my mom decided she was a gamer after doing well at Wii Bowling. I'm not going to declare her not a "real fan" or a "poser" because she isn't as into as I am.

In the same vein, someone who spends hours throwing together the perfect costume of a character and doesn't know a damn thing about them is just as much of a fan as someone who's been following that character since day one. They don't deserve hatred or bile for not being as knowledgeable as I am.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I suppose this is the best place to share this

tumblr_mdr30u4DKp1qd8ovdo1_500.png
    tumblr_mdr30u4DKp1qd8ovdo2_500.png

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I don't understand why the whole "posers" thing is an issue at all. Even if there are cosplayers who aren't comic book fans or know nothing about comics, so what?

Television shows and movies have plenty of actors who don't know much about comics. For example, Kevin Conroy does not read comics. Even in some of his more recent interviews, it's kind of obvious that he doesn't know that much about Batman. But everyone loves him and hears his voice when they read Batman comics, and no one calls him a "poser." If you're fine with actors who know nothing about your favorite character playing that character then why would you have a problem with cosplayers who know nothing about the character dressing up that way?

KingofMadCows on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I think Munch has pretty definitively explained where the mindset of "I'm in my hobby safe-zone and I feel threatened when people I perceive as outsiders try to enter it" a bunch of posts back. I've certainly been guilty of the things Munch describes, and I totally understand where the people who "fakers are invading our hobby safe-zone!" are coming from. I can sympathize.

I also think that instead of getting the pitchforks out, those people should open the gates and welcome everyone in. It's the same as this idiotic "hardcore vs. casuals" argument that you find in gaming culture in general, as well in specific game communities (like the World of Warcraft one) in particular, only it's more bitter and angry because the "hardcore comic book community is smaller, which tends to narrow the definition of "true fan".

• Options
    Yeah, but let's not pretend that geek communities have historically been much friendlier to insiders either.

• Options
    That's the core of World of Warcraft's "hardcore vs. casuals" debate. Let's be honest: if you're spending several hours or more per week playing a game for years and years, participate in guild activities, and oh yeah, the game has a subscription fee, then you're already in. You're a freaking insider. But then those people who spend more-than-several-hours-per week invoke the "No True Scotsman" argument and say that well, unless you killed Big Boss Badass in under ten minutes, you're barely playing the game, who cares about you.

That's what the poisonous element of geek culture is like: the constant search for the true Scotsman. The goalposts keep moving closer together, and farther away from wherever you are.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    But the very people who are making geek hobbies cool are not necessarily big fans. The executives at WB and Disney are not putting millions of dollars into making Batman or Avengers movies because they love comic books, they're doing it because they want to make money, especially off of hardcore geeks who are willing to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on merchandise. Yet, the geek community is willing to judge people in the business based on the quality of their work rather than whether or not those people are fans. As I said before, no one cares that Kevin Conroy doesn't read comic books. I don't think Robert Downey Jr. knows that much about Iron Man or the Avengers. Nicholas Meyer wasn't a big Star Trek fan. I'm pretty sure that Kenneth Branagh knows very little about Thor or comic books in general.

If comic book fans are fine with actors, writers, and the television/movie studios exploiting their favorite comic book characters for profit so long as the TV show or movie they make is good, why is it suddenly a huge problem when cosplayers do it for attention? If someone is not happy with cosplayers who are non-fans, they should also be angry with Hollywood exploiting comic books for profit, popularizing them, and creating all these new casual fans.

• Options
    First of all, I'm certain that there are people who are upset that Kevin Conroy isn't a Batman geek or whatever.

Second, you're trying to apply logic to actions that are completely emotion-based. The people who rag on cosplayers/"fake fans" aren't doing it from some well-thought-out position with a sequence of arguments that logically flows from one point to the next; they're doing it because they're afraid, or because they're angry, or because they're confused.

• Options
    Or maybe they're just fucking stupid.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    But the very people who are making geek hobbies cool are not necessarily big fans. The executives at WB and Disney are not putting millions of dollars into making Batman or Avengers movies because they love comic books, they're doing it because they want to make money, especially off of hardcore geeks who are willing to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on merchandise. Yet, the geek community is willing to judge people in the business based on the quality of their work rather than whether or not those people are fans. As I said before, no one cares that Kevin Conroy doesn't read comic books. I don't think Robert Downey Jr. knows that much about Iron Man or the Avengers. Nicholas Meyer wasn't a big Star Trek fan. I'm pretty sure that Kenneth Branagh knows very little about Thor or comic books in general.

It's not the executives who are making good adaptions, they only fund it and that doesn't always mean it'll be well done re: almost every DC movie, excluding Nolan's trilogy. It's the creators that do the heavy lifting that determine whether the adaptions will be great. Marvel's been stellar at hiring people to accomplish that then stepping out of their way.
    If comic book fans are fine with actors, writers, and the television/movie studios exploiting their favorite comic book characters for profit so long as the TV show or movie they make is good, why is it suddenly a huge problem when cosplayers do it for attention? If someone is not happy with cosplayers who are non-fans, they should also be angry with Hollywood exploiting comic books for profit, popularizing them, and creating all these new casual fans.

Agreed.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Delduwath wrote: »
    First of all, I'm certain that there are people who are upset that Kevin Conroy isn't a Batman geek or whatever.

Second, you're trying to apply logic to actions that are completely emotion-based. The people who rag on cosplayers/"fake fans" aren't doing it from some well-thought-out position with a sequence of arguments that logically flows from one point to the next; they're doing it because they're afraid, or because they're angry, or because they're confused.

I like how since you haven't dived into Batman comics you aren't a Bat-Geek, because voicing Batman for years must mean he hates Batman? Sigh, why fans gotta be so weird. ( this is not @ Deld, but @ those people)

edit:typo

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    The movies succeed where the creative teams know what they're doing. You could triple the entire comics reading community up to 300-400,000 MAX and it doesn't begin to cover the audience of the films. What makes them work is that they are good, internally consistent and relatively enjoyable films.

What's my point? Oh. Right.

Anyone claiming a media property/consumer product as "theirs" is a silly goose. In an expanding world and sphere of social interactions, being or pretending that you can remain parochial on issues is a sucker's game. Rational people operate on spectra, not hard line strata. Trying to force the former into the latter is what gets you these idiot ramblings, be it in comics, in gaming, or in politics. Because this shit is getting all too normal not just in our own little bubbles, but in bubbles everywhere. The bubbles get bigger and more like mesh than hard-shelled, but clusters become easier to form. That isn't to say that it's okay to ignore them. It's perfectly reasonable by normal, decent people to point out when specific clusters or even individuals are saying things that are stupid, evil, or both.

EDIT

Oh, yeah. Creators not only don't get a pass – it's their asses if they don't wake up and accept reality. I know the published/withdrawn RSC white paper in copyright had some interesting ideas, but the reality is with or without that type of government action the world doesn't give a fuck what is desired, meant, or intended. Once it's out there, the world will do what it wants with that material. So it's worth embracing everyone who wants to share in your general passion and not be a dick. Unless these evil female cosplayers are using cons as an opportunity to eat nerds, AND THEY'RE NOT, what the fuck difference does it make?

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    The heck with fake geek girls. What about the fake geek guys?
    superheros_hottt.jpeg

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Someone give Wolverine my number

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    That Spider-Ass.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I NEED PICTURES

PICTURES OF SPIDER-ASS

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    It looks like the Comedian is cosplaying as Wolverine in that pic.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Wolverine's not hairy enough.

This discussion has been closed.