Options

The Halfway Decent Hockey Thread that is BACK, BABY

• Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    In the Ranger's defense, we don't really know what Nash is capable of. Sure, he was the best player in Columbus, but he was the best player in Columbus. He could surprise people and end up growing as a player now that he has a decent team around him.

• Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    Looks like we keep Weber.

Now, if only we had someone who scored goals!

• Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    So, less than a month until NHL13. Now with telepathic goalies and rubber banding AI.

I'm actually pretty stoked, as I skipped 12. Did the goalie fights and increased contact additions work out last year?

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I HATE HOCKEY'S LABOR SITUATION SO MUCH

• Options
    Sir Headless VIISir Headless VII Registered User regular
    If the owners weren't still signing contracts that directly contradict their position I would have some sympathy for them. As it stands I do not.

Steam - Backpack - Bnet: SirHeadless #1154
    7KEFduI.jpg
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I know precisely jackshit about labor contracts and collective bargaining, but this seems all kinds of messed up to me.
    Can anyone tell me if NHL ownership has any kind of revenue sharing? My understanding is that Toronto is the only franchise to not lose money in any given season. It seems to me that having all the franchises having to pay out on the same economic model, but take money in in radically different economic situations doesn't make a lot of sense. Is there anything that helps put different teams on the same footing so as to make it so they can all afford to hire talent, build fanbases, and have a chance of success instead of having someone move every couple of years? Because when teams are losing money (and moving/selling/threatening to fold), then they do things like try to lock players out to force new CBAs on them.

Or am I way off base on this?
    Somebody learn me please, because I am too lazy and stupid to look it up myself.
    Actually, as I mentioned before, I do have a friend who is a lawyer for the NHLPA. I bet I could ask her. But I don't know if I'd get an unbiased answer. I also don't know if she'd be allowed to answer.

• Options
    BorommakotBorommakot Registered User regular
    Toronto isn't the only franchise to not lose money. Look at the all the teams before the cap was introduced that were signing people to giant contracts(Like the Rangers signing Bobby Holik to a 9 mil/year contract). A lot of the stuff for the new CBA is the players vs. the owners and the rich team owners vs. small team owners. The Flyers offering Weber that massive offer sheet this summer that forced Nashville to potentially bet the team on one player is a good example of some of the issues with this CBA. Basically, if there's a lockout it's Ed Snider's fault.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Nah. The NHL's owners are a bunch of massive fucktards who can't help poisoning their own league by handing out giant stupid contracts and then getting pissy about their revenues.

ONE MAN'S OPINION

• Options
    Yeah, the owners really have no ground this time around. Hopefully, a lockout will be the last straw for Bettman as well.

• Options
    Boro -- I wasn't saying only Toronto is making money. I was saying only Toronto ALWAYS makes money. Everyone else, as is my understanding, but maybe I'm wrong, will lose money for a year or two after a bad season or a few bad contracts or whatever. Toronto always turns a profit. Since, like... WWII? Again, my understanding, it may not be accurate.

• Options
    BaldrickBaldrick Registered User new member
    edited September 2012
    Can anyone tell me if NHL ownership has any kind of revenue sharing?

Chromodom, the NHL has no revenue sharing or luxury tax, and probably won't any time soon, because the commissioner seems to only work for the big-market teams.
    That said, I may be more biased than your NHLPA employee friend.
    *EDIT*
    Reports of my head being anywhere other than up my ass are greatly exaggerated. Je suis le derp.

Baldrick on
  • Options
    She says there is revenue sharing, but not like you would normally think of as revenue sharing. I am currently trying to ask her what that means.
    It is hard because she got off on a rant about this latest negotiation (which is understandable on her part), but doesn't really answer my questions.

• Options
    The NHL has had revenue sharing since the last lock out. Top 10 teams pay in and the bottom fifteen are eligible to pull from it if needed with qualifiers based on attendance and revenue growth. Teams in major media markets(2.5 mil+ people) aren't allowed to pull from it so teams like the Devils, Islanders, Kings, and Blackhawks aren't eligible to pull from it.

From what I understand a big part of this negotiation is trying to settle on what exactly hockey related revenue is defined as and then how to split it.

• Options
    Now there's an answer! Thank you! :)
    It's not revenue sharing like I would want to set up, but it's something. Actually, the more I think about it, it seems more and more stupid. Owners are stupid. Of course, players and player reps are stupid. And we're stupid for watching and caring about it.

FUCK EVERYBODY!

Sorry, I just needed to get that off my chest.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Ok, my friend posted this on her FB page. It's from the NHLPA, so I can't vouch for the objectivity of it, and I don't see any sources being cited. Basically take it for what it is: a release from a labo(u)r union during a negotiation.

EDIT: Heh, forgot the link! http://www.nhlpa.com/news/headlines/details/2012/09/04/setting-the-record-straight-cba-myths-vs.-facts

chromdom on
  • Options
    BaldrickBaldrick Registered User new member
    chromdom wrote: »
    Now there's an answer! Thank you! :)
    It's not revenue sharing like I would want to set up, but it's something. Actually, the more I think about it, it seems more and more stupid. Owners are stupid. Of course, players and player reps are stupid. And we're stupid for watching and caring about it.

FUCK EVERYBODY!

Sorry, I just needed to get that off my chest.

Aww... I don't think you're stupid for caring about the obstruction standing between you and sweet, sweet hockey goodness.
    Then again, I've already proved I don't really know what I'm talking about.

• Options
    Donald Fehr is a bulldog, albeit one who thinks its fine and dandy for players to roid themselves up, but whatever.

I just continue to hope this situation torpedoes Bettman.

• Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    LTM wrote: »
    Donald Fehr is a bulldog, albeit one who thinks its fine and dandy for players to roid themselves up, but whatever.

I just continue to hope this situation torpedoes Bettman.

fehr was the absolute best hire the nhlpa could have made and that first offer he made to the nhl was a thing of genius.

gary bettman is the only reason the Edmonton Oilers are still here in Edmonton and no one here seems to remember that fact. for this fact alone i can never hate the man.

• Options
    I've never understood why everyone makes Bettman out to be this monolithic power within the NHL. Yes he has a lot of sway and influence, but so do the owners over him. I still boo him and everything because it's a bunch of fun, but he's not the Machiavelli of hockey.

• Options
    NHL13 release day. Any of you homps picking this up?

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Borommakot wrote: »
    I've never understood why everyone makes Bettman out to be this monolithic power within the NHL. Yes he has a lot of sway and influence, but so do the owners over him. I still boo him and everything because it's a bunch of fun, but he's not the Machiavelli of hockey.

Because the owners like him and more often than not he sides with them

Look at the debacle that is the Coyotes. There were tons of companies and people looking to bring them to Canada. He sides with the City of Gendale and helps work out a deal where the team stays

• Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I don't make him out to be super powerful...he's just a weasel and a dick and the face of everything that hurts NHL fans.

He's the Stephen Harper of hockey. He can't do everything on his own but that doesn't mean he isn't the driving force behind it all.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Borommakot wrote: »

Because the owners like him and more often than not he sides with them

Look at the debacle that is the Coyotes. There were tons of companies and people looking to bring them to Canada. He sides with the City of Gendale and helps work out a deal where the team stays

that's weird that he would side with his employers. bettman is not a mediator between players and owners, he is an employee of the nhl owners.

i think people are failing to see that this problem is as much a fault of the players as it is the owners. both sides have shown exceptional greed and lack of foresight.

the players refusal to even consider backing down from 57% is baffling. the deal the players received was probably too much in their favor in 2005 while the owners undermine themselves by signing longterm deals past the 5 years the nhl is saying needs to be the limit.

• Options
    411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    I like the irony of the owners all being united behind the idea of locking out the players, and one of their major issues is that they all exploited contract lengths to circumvent the salary cap they fought for because they can't trust each other not to try and steal free agents by offering them bigger contracts. I'm not saying both sides aren't at fault, but that really sounds like "okay, guys, we thought a salary cap would stop us from being idiots with our money but it turns out we found another way to blow lots of money on players that's actually worse and we need you to accept more salary restrictions so that we don't have to actually be responsible with our money".

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options
    Be a Pro Goalie is pretty bad again this year. The rest of NHL13 is fucking fantastic though.

• Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    I kissed the Stanley Cup today! :o

(It was at UCLA again.)

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Unless something dramatic happens, 23 hours and 35 minutes away from the lockout being official.

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Welp, there go my plans to catch a Red Wings game on my way to PAX East.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    The lockout only lasts as long as it lasts. It might be done before regular season was even due to start!

• Options
    that's doubtful.

neither side is offering counters to each others offers, they are merely amending their original offers that the other side scoffed at.

there hasn't been any real genuine effort to actually come to a middle ground as far as i can tell.

fuck em both.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    NHL wrote:
    A message to our fans
    The following message to fans was issued by the National Hockey League on Sunday:

Despite the expiration of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, the National Hockey League has been, and remains, committed to negotiating around the clock to reach a new CBA that is fair to the Players and to the 30 NHL teams.

Thanks to the conditions fostered by seven seasons under the previous CBA, competitive balance has created arguably the most meaningful regular season in pro sports; a different team has won the Stanley Cup every year; fans and sponsors have agreed the game is at its best, and the League has generated remarkable growth and momentum. While our last CBA negotiation resulted in a seismic change in the League's economic system, and produced corresponding on-ice benefits, our current negotiation is focused on a fairer and more sustainable division of revenues with the Players -- as well as other necessary adjustments consistent with the objectives of the economic system we developed jointly with the NHL Players' Association seven years ago. Those adjustments are attainable through sensible, focused negotiation -- not through rhetoric.

This is a time of year for all attention to be focused on the ice, not on a meeting room. The League, the Clubs and the Players all have a stake in resolving our bargaining issues appropriately and getting the puck dropped as soon as possible. We owe it to each other, to the game and, most of all, to the fans.

Developing a fairer CBA, yet Bettman said the last one was "too fair."

Committed to negotiating around the clock, yet the league declined to meet with the players association over the weekend.

I agree completely with what Angry said. Nobody involved is really showing that a compromise is on their mind.

I think that the lockout will eventually end, but I don't see it happening until both sides realize that a compromise is the best solution and that they're both acting like petty children. Which I don't see happening anytime soon.

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    The lockout only lasts as long as it lasts. It might be done before regular season was even due to start!

Yes, but I'd like to book my tickets before that.

I am not going to just hang out in Detroit for no reason.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    oh jeez yeah stay away from detroit

• Options
    Swim over to Windsor. It's just as awful, but at least you won't get shot.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    Hey Larlar

Let's go to some Giants games.

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    At least we have NHL 13

am I right

• Options
    #pipe wrote: »
    Hey Larlar

Let's go to some Giants games.

Harold&Kumar.jpg

But why?

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    because hockey is fun to watch!

Why do you think people go to Rogers Arena? to watch the Canucks?

ridiculous

#pipe on
  • Options
    It is pretty baffling that people pay to watch the Canucks.

This discussion has been closed.