As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Deus Ex READ THE FIRST POST

TubeTube Registered User admin
edited July 2011 in Games and Technology
The following people are not allowed to post in this thread, because they insisted on talking about a pirated preview build of the game. Needless to say, talking about this build is verboten. If any of these people post in the thread (or the next iteration of it should it get to 100 pages before launch) please report it to the moderators. If you don't, I'll simply take the thread away again.

SoundsPlush
Operative21
august
Hank_Scorpio
ED!
BloodyRoarXX
Fuga
Big Isy
Leevity
InitialDK
Iriah
override367
Lodsiek
Fig-D
LittleBoots
Glassjaw
Death of Rats
Winky
Clevinger
randombattle
Basil
Robobandit
initiatefailure
LaCabra
evilbob
Waka Laka
CarbonFire
MegaMek
Ninja Snarl P
Klyka
Akilae
Drovek

Tube on

• Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The following people are not allowed to post in this thread, because they insisted on talking about a pirated preview build of the game.

What a shame.

gtrmp on
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I am a bad person, a soon as I read that first sentence...I was like oooo where can I get some of that action.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well, looks like it's just you and me, thread

How about that Deus Ex, huh

I wonder if anyone will ever remaster that game, given the industry's current fad of HD remakes

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Olivaw wrote: »

I wonder if anyone will ever remaster that game, given the industry's current fad of HD remakes

I think it's pretty inevitable at some point.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Dunno.

Of course, they might insist on redoing the voice acting. Which would be a shame.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I was sort of going to say, after that OP, this is going to be one slow thread.

That said, what little I know about the game has me very excited for it. I watched one of the first demo'd playthroughs and have heard a bit about what they've done since with fan feedback but other than that have kept info rather sparse.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    God I am so stoked for this game
    I hope it get's proper media attention, because after that fucking abysmal DX:IW, DX really needs some loving.
    And I'm a complete sucker for cyberpunk storylines

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've never really liked Deus Ex but I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out. Hopefully the bad impressions I keep hearing about from E3 are unwarranted

tofu on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    gtrmp wrote: »
    The following people are not allowed to post in this thread, because they insisted on talking about a pirated preview build of the game.

What a shame.

I love how I get this joke even though I haven't played any Deus Ex games. :^:

That said though, I'm picking up the first game and finally gonna play it in celebration of some nonsense happening regarding my job. That or just for the fuck of it, because I'm probably missing out. The second game is the one people hate right?

Henroid on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Raiden333 wrote: »

I think it's pretty inevitable at some point.

I dunno if I'd say that. There are bigger games that have not seen an "hd" remake, and if the new game does well, I could see them trying to build off the prequel set up rather than try and mess with the original story.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    tofu wrote: »
    I've never really liked Deus Ex but I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out. Hopefully the bad impressions I keep hearing about from E3 are unwarranted

One thing to keep in mind about bad impressions the original game has a following sort of like Fall out has a following. Any changes are huge sacrilege that makes it the worst game ever.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Henroid wrote: »

What a shame.

That said though, I'm picking up the first game and finally gonna play it in celebration of some nonsense happening regarding my job. That or just for the fuck of it, because I'm probably missing out. The second game is the one people hate right?

Yup.

And it runs like crap on modern machines.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

What a shame.

Yup.

I have a PC from 2005 / 2006, so it's far from modern!

Is it the sort of thing that's been fan-patched to work? I know some games like Oblivion get that sort of attention.

Henroid on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Preacher wrote: »

One thing to keep in mind about bad impressions the original game has a following sort of like Fall out has a following. Any changes are huge sacrilege that makes it the worst game ever.

welllll... how?? I mean, there was ONE DX game, then you had the objectively fucking abysmal DX:IW
    It's not nma to say it sucked. The other game isn't out yet, and no one's complaining so far, right?

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Here's the OP from one of the earlier threads. I didn't have the OP saved so I can't repost it, and I'm not going to link the previous thread. I think that one is identical to the one from the locked thread, anyway.

What a shame.

Yup.

Is it the sort of thing that's been fan-patched to work? I know some games like Oblivion get that sort of attention.

There is some fan stuff for it that's in the linked OP that makes it run a little better, but it's really just not a well executed product. Most of the complaints come from plot and game mechanics and design. Fan patches aren't going to do much for those types of problems.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011

What a shame.

Yup.

Not as far as I know.

Here's the problem. Massive load times between areas, and maps the size of a small high school gym.

Also, looking forward to the new one.

Every single word I've seen about it on PC Gamer and RPS sounds wonderful.

Except the bit about the boss fight Quinns mentioned. Eesh.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Bullio wrote: »
    There is some fan stuff for it that's in the linked OP that makes it run a little better, but it's really just not a well executed product. Most of the complaints come from plot and game mechanics and design. Fan patches aren't going to do much for those types of problems.

If there were fan patches to fix that sort of thing, I wouldn't want it.

I'm one of those people that want the intended experience of a game to be, well, experienced. I don't turn down the music, mod a game, any of that shit until I've had a healthy dose of it (a dozen hours or so). That or until I beat a game. Then I'll go fucking nuts.

So that said, I may have to experience the awfulness.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Preacher wrote: »

welllll... how?? I mean, there was ONE DX game, then you had the objectively fucking abysmal DX:IW
    It's not nma to say it sucked. The other game isn't out yet, and no one's complaining so far, right?

The gaming press seem to not be impressed by the game at E3, that's what I'm going on

tofu on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

If there were fan patches to fix that sort of thing, I wouldn't want it.

I'm one of those people that want the intended experience of a game to be, well, experienced. I don't turn down the music, mod a game, any of that shit until I've had a healthy dose of it (a dozen hours or so). That or until I beat a game. Then I'll go fucking nuts.

So that said, I may have to experience the awfulness.

Awfulness would be easier to deal with. There's just enough good to make the clunkiness and problems agonizing.

Also, you know how Deus Ex, killing anyone felt like, well, killing someone. Nasty even if it's the right thing.

Invisible War, I was kinda on a murder spree from the word go.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    @JIntor - since I know you've got a legitimate preview copy, can I ask you what the stealth and cover system felt like? Is it sort of a toggle, like "you're in cover, enemies opposite you now can not see you" or is it more organic, like "when in cover they have less chance to see you, but if they're directly on the other side of a thin bench that you're taking cover behind, they can see you"

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I don't know, because I haven't played it yet!

Henroid on
  • Options
    November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I heard some preview talk a few months ago and got excited about this. Reports for E3 have tempered that a bit.

Now hoping for an Alpha Protocol with better game play and more than one useful character build.

November Fifth on
  • Options
    ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Can someone link to any of the E3 stuff? I'm having trouble finding anything from E3 since it kinda got drowned out by everything else.

Italax on
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Italax wrote: »
    Can someone link to any of the E3 stuff? I'm having trouble finding anything from E3 since it kinda got drowned out by everything else.

I don't think there was much of anything new from E3. Some new screens and interviews that don't really say anything new. Here's the (dark) E3 trailer that actually has new footage instead of yet another new variation of the same trailer footage we've been seeing all along.

E3 2011 trailer

Google "Deus Ex E3 2011" and you'll find enough stuff.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The renassiance-noir fashion style is a bit jarring, but I think after a few hours it'd become more natural.

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    IceyIcey Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

The gaming press seem to not be impressed by the game at E3, that's what I'm going on

The Giantbomb guys are the only press I've seen that seem less than impressed. Most of what I've seen elsewhere has been pretty positive.

Icey on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Italax wrote: »

I don't think there was much of anything new from E3. Some new screens and interviews that don't really say anything new. Here's the (dark) E3 trailer that actually has new footage instead of yet another new variation of the same trailer footage we've been seeing all along.

E3 2011 trailer

Google "Deus Ex E3 2011" and you'll find enough stuff.

I found all that stuff, I meant the negative opinions people apparently had.

I just kinda skipped over anything DX3 related during actual E3 since I bought it after the RPS preview.

Italax on
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I have no idea how to search Giant Bomb's site without ending up at their bad wiki. What did they say about it?

I don't generally feel the same way about games as they do, though. It always feels like they play games just because they get paid to, not because they actually have any interest in them.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    What.

Giant Bomb is one of the few gaming sites I trust simply because they genuinely love games. If they have issues with a game then they have good reasons for them.

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The Weekend Confirmed guys also had the same opinion of the game. There's some discussion about it on the podcasts topic.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This needs to come out faster. I hope the ending is something really spectacular though. Coming off as a Deus Ex Veteran we (if you played the first game) know ultimately the major events that occur leading to Deus Ex. However, what these major events are and how/why they happened are going to be really :D.

Waffles or whatever on
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I know they said on the E3 Bombcast at one point that it felt clunky and old. I don't recall them getting into it more than that, but I probably missed it.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Icey wrote: »

The Giantbomb guys are the only press I've seen that seem less than impressed. Most of what I've seen elsewhere has been pretty positive.

If I remember correctly they said everyone else they talked to that played it didn't think very highly of it, but they didn't go into any real detail about it

tofu on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    A lot of the previews are mentioning that there's a lot of nods to the original Deus Ex, a lot of name dropping of characters like
    Manderley

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Inter_dInter_d Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Dunno.

Of course, they might insist on redoing the voice acting. Which would be a shame.

uhhh...did you play the first game?

I get nostalgia but goddamn did the voice work in that game suck.

Inter_d on
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Inter_d wrote:

I imagine that's exactly what he meant. Game won't be the same without the insane Chinese accents in Hong Kong.

As for HR, the only thing I've heard concerning clunkiness is from the RPS guys and how the mouse aiming on the PC version once again fails to feel quite right, but that it isn't a dealbreaker.

I don't know what has happened this generation but that sort of mouse-acceleration / general-unresponsiveness bullshit is seriously in my top 5 gaming complaints.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I remember hearing some complaints about the cover perspective shift as well (I think it was also on RPS, but I could be remembering it wrong). Frankly, it's a Deus Ex game. Clunkiness is part of its charm. Still could not be more excited for it, despite some of GB's comments.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Inter_d wrote:

I imagine that's exactly what he meant. Game won't be the same without the insane Chinese accents in Hong Kong.

As for HR, the only thing I've heard concerning clunkiness is from the RPS guys and how the mouse aiming on the PC version once again fails to feel quite right, but that it isn't a dealbreaker.

I don't know what has happened this generation but that sort of mouse-acceleration / general-unresponsiveness bullshit is seriously in my top 5 gaming complaints.

Like many other annoying PC UI issues, UE3 happened. With it's mouse accelleration hidden in the .ini and on by default and not supporting AA in DX9

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Isn't it pretty much Giant Bombs job to just slag on stuff anyway?

I've just always had a hard time taking anything they say seriously. Of course, I could apply that generally to just about all gaming journalism.

Drake on
This discussion has been closed.