As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Greece and the continuing Eurozone fiscal crisis.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I really do wonder where all the myths about the Greek retirement system come from. Best I can tell, the general age of retirement is 65. The problem is that there are many exceptions (mostly for hazardous professions, though you can endlessly debate that), which brings the average retirement age to 61. Many of those exceptions have been cut already, raising the expected average to 63.

I want to note that the average age of retirement in the Netherlands is currently... 61.5 years. (Again, base of 65). I'm sure many other countries have similar schemes.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Everybody makes out that the rest of Europe retires earlier. It's just one of the strange games we play.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Interestingly, I planned a trip to europe for august recently. The prices for lodging and tourist stuff in Greece is still really high even though their economy sucks. I expected some decline in prices, but I guess tourists are really uneffected by the Greek economy. However, it seems that if the current state of Greece's economy declines wokers in the tourism industry won't be that hurt. Transportation costs are still really high as well. Maybe just becuse the demands is so high in August? Which is wierd because the civil unrest doesn't make it the most attactive place to travel.

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LolkenLolken Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    ronya wrote: »
    Note that the Argentine and Russian unpegging and defaults were very, very traumatic, even though the effects were relatively brief.

Leaving the Euro would entail all the chaos of a collapsed peg and a currency switch.

The Argentinan crisis lasted for almost a decade. I'm not even sure Argentina's GDP now is greater than it was in 2000.

Lolken on
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Basically Greece is fucked.
    There are ~11 million Greeks

Only 5 million Greeks are in the labor force, thanks in part to the early retirement age.
    Of that 5 million 20% are unemployed.
    Of the remaining 4 million, 40% are public sector employees.
    So you are down to 2.4 million people. Who need to generate enough wealth to give living expenses and full healthcare(plus schools/social services ect) to 11 million people.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Smaug6 wrote: »
    Interestingly, I planned a trip to europe for august recently. The prices for lodging and tourist stuff in Greece is still really high even though their economy sucks. I expected some decline in prices, but I guess tourists are really uneffected by the Greek economy. However, it seems that if the current state of Greece's economy declines wokers in the tourism industry won't be that hurt. Transportation costs are still really high as well. Maybe just becuse the demands is so high in August? Which is wierd because the civil unrest doesn't make it the most attactive place to travel.

This is true. I went to Athens and Santorini for my honeymoon in April and it was great. You would never know that the country was in bad shape except by talking to people there. The tourism industry is off too but not as hard hit as other industries. I will say this about Santorini, it's still effing expensive and the exchange rate is absolutely brutal. A strong Euro definitely is not helping some countries in the EU.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Even if Greece goes back to the stone age, it won't change the sun and the sea and the awesome weather.

xraydog on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    mrt144 wrote: »

This is true. I went to Athens and Santorini for my honeymoon in April and it was great. You would never know that the country was in bad shape except by talking to people there. The tourism industry is off too but not as hard hit as other industries. I will say this about Santorini, it's still effing expensive and the exchange rate is absolutely brutal. A strong Euro definitely is not helping some countries in the EU.

Don't worry about a strong Euro for much longer; if they don't solve this problem the Euro won't be worth the paper it is printed on!

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You know what would fix this?

Printing more money.

That worked so well in 1923.

Right Germany?

:x

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Printing more money.

Right Germany?

Did I just do a faux pas? Sorry. :( I was just trying to be funny.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Bringing up the Weimar Republic is like Godwin'ing with economics.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I genuinely didn't know that! I'll stop it now.

*Netiquette level up*

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    The thing is, a little inflation, hell, even a lot of inflation would be good in a case where there is extreme debt loads. But inflation is like riding a tiger.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Printing more money.

Right Germany?

You broke the threads economic value.

We'll have to default now.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The thing is, a little inflation, hell, even a lot of inflation would be good in a case where there is extreme debt loads. But inflation is like riding a tiger.

Because it is really cool?

Or because you have to be a Night-Elf, and it costs you $10 a month until you break the addiction.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

*Netiquette level up*

It's been ruined by the people who do, with a straight face, bring up the Weimar inflation with every opportunity.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Saint MadnessSaint Madness Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Printing more money.

Right Germany?

YOU HAVE ANGERED THE ECONODOG.

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Krugman is as unimpressed as ever.

I do with people would stop using the "Euro-" prefix for their headlines though.

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    LolkenLolken Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011

*Netiquette level up*

It's been ruined by the people who do, with a straight face, bring up the Weimar inflation with every opportunity.

THIS.

"Inflation is up 0,5% over the forecast level... IN SIX MONTHS WE'LL USE OUR MONEY AS FIREWOOD"

Lolken on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Krugman is as unimpressed as ever.

I do with people would stop using the "Euro-" prefix for their headlines though.

From the comments section:
    As we say in Germany: „Lieber ein Ende mit Schrecken als ein Schrecken ohne Ende“
    "Rather a calamitous end than endless calamity."

Really sums it up nicely. Greece needs to bite the bullet.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    What This Country Needs Is a Good 5% CPI

Interesting take on inflation. I can sort of buy into it in theory, I just don't know if the debt is a big enough component of the stalled recovery that inflating it away will work with no hiring going on.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    The confidence motion is due to take place this evening, Papandreou's party has 155 of 300 seats in Parliament and will also be supported by 2 MPs who resigned from PASOK last week.

However winning the confidence vote and getting the reform package through are two different things. The Opposition want the package broken down into its various components and to have a yes/no vote on each part but the Government and its creditors want it passed as a full deal.

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    We only have 2 hours left in the trading day, will the vote of confidence take place before then?

Edit:

No. No it wont.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    5 PM Eastern; 30 minute scheduled for the vote

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    What really confuses me is that the people down there are demonstrating against ... what exactly? Necessary government cuts? That other countries are pumping millions into Greece?

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Belief that the cuts are unnecessary, belief that the cuts should happen to someone else, belief that the millions come with too many or the wrong strings attached.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Belief that the cuts are unnecessary, belief that the cuts should happen to someone else, belief that the millions come with too many or the wrong strings attached.

I really feel that someone should have looked at the Eurovision song contest before suggesting that the EU be formed. The amount of nationalistic scapegoating and nationalistic zeal is amazing.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

That really. Indeed I'd go as far as to say that this is the reason why communism hasn't occurred yet. The cuts are harsh, but they haven't hit those who are protesting really hard yet.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Also, the Greeks love protesting shit. That love should not be underestimated.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Fine, then don't accept the money, and don't make the cuts. You're lives will be so much better once your economy craters, and no one will lend you/your country any money for a couple decades.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Actually according to a Greek reporter on Irish radio this morning, it's because a lot of people don't believe that the country actually owes €350bn.

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Ah... so who do they claim is lying to them?

I suppose Greeks can justifiably point out a history of state accounting shenanigans...

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011

I suppose Greeks can justifiably point out a history of state accounting shenanigans...

Well you have to remember that until Papandreou told the world how his predecessors had been cooking the books for years, everyone just thought that Greece was just another struggling economy that was taking the GFC particularly badly.

So yeah, they probably do think the state is lying to them.

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

I think it's because Greeks haven't really perceived anything worth even a fraction of 350 bil in their country.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Krugman wrote:
    In any case, what you have to ask now is what Europe is waiting for. Why will six months more of credit lines and suffering make the situation any better?

Because it gives a shot of trying to deal(it will fail, most likely) with the political situation within the EU which will be complicated and sensitive enough to deserve any additional time it may get.
    When Greece defaults you'll see a temporary surge in jingoism pretty much all across Europe.

zeeny on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I suspect the real answer is "we want to create a transfer union without explicitly saying so".

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011

I think it's because Greeks haven't really perceived anything worth even a fraction of 350 bil in their country.

That's because €350 is 150% of what their country produces in a year. On a per-capita basis its not that different from the US's dept load. ~€32k vs $45k. Although a lot of US's public debt is owned by Social Secuirty/Medicare.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I suspect the real answer is "we want to create a transfer union without explicitly saying so".

You've lost me. It is a de facto transfer union right now.

zeeny on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    zeeny wrote: »
    Krugman wrote:
    In any case, what you have to ask now is what Europe is waiting for. Why will six months more of credit lines and suffering make the situation any better?

Because it gives a shot of trying to deal(it will fail, most likely) with the political situation within the EU which will be complicated and sensitive enough to deserve any additional time it may get.
    When Greece defaults you'll see a temporary surge in jingoism pretty much all across Europe.

I'm unclear what the EU is bound to do for (or not do to) its member states; Is ejecting Greece, as a result of that turmoil, a viable strategy to mitigate the financial impact of their default?

I can't think of anything else EU grumbling could really do; as I am under the impression that it is a relatively toothless organization.

[e] Disclaimer:
    Everything I know about the EU
    Basically an international friars club, led by Roast Master Nigel Farrage, where the representatives of member states make sick burns on each other all day.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    How much did hosting the Olympics in 2004 contribute to Greece's problems? I remember hearing they were having financial trouble getting things together even back then.

emnmnme on