Options

Greece and the continuing Eurozone fiscal crisis.

Saint MadnessSaint Madness Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
This has been mentioned in a few threads but considering the potential fallout from this crisis I think it deserves it's own thread.

There are currently 3 Eurozone countries which are wards of the IMF and European Union.

Portugal

120px-Portugal_2009_uem.png

In March of this year, the Portuguese minority government attempted to pass a range of austerity measures through its parliament but was defeated at the voting stage, the Prime Minister subsequently resigned but remained on as caretaker until elections were held in May.

However in April, faced with soaring bond yields, the caretaker government called on the EU and IMF for financial assistance.

They are getting €78bn in total.

Ireland

irish-euro-coin-sets.jpg

Hey that's me!

Ireland went through a very large real estate bubble during which our construction sector borrowed huge sums of money from our banks in order to build vast numbers of houses.

On 29th September 2008, shortly after the collapse of Lehman Brothers it became apparent that the Irish banking system was in serious trouble. The Prime Minister and Finance Minister decided to issue a blanket bank guarantee, without advising our own Central Bank, the ECB or the EU.

That decision has cost us €70bn so far. The collapse of our construction industry in the aftermath of the bubble bursting, along with austerity measures imposed by the government to try and reign in our budget deficit has sent unemployment to over 14%.

In November 2010, Ireland was bailed out by the EU & IMF to the tune of €85bn. We are supposed to return to the private bond markets in 2013.

Finally we get to the country currently dominating global financial news.

Greece

Steve-Bell-cartoon-17.06.-001.jpg

In 2009 George Papandreou of the centre-left PASOK party became the Prime Minister of Greece.

He revealed that Greece's budget defecit was not the 3.7% of GDP previously stated but 12.5%. It went to 15.4% that November.

In May 2010 the EU and IMF assembled a €110bn bailout package for Greece which was conditional on privatisation of State assets and austerity measures.

However, Greece has missed nearly all the targets set for it by the EU & IMF and it is becoming increasingly apparent that it will not be able to return to the private bond markets to finance itself as was originally planned.

Papandreou is facing revolt within his own party over the reforms he is attempting to bring in, the EU & IMF want the Greek oppossition parties to consent to the austerity measures as well, which has led to a political crisis to accompany the fiscal one. Mass protests are sweeping the country.

The EU is doing what it does best in a crises, going to complete shit with every country out for itself.

At the time of this writing the EU has agreed "in principal" to continue funding Greece, it needs €12bn before the middle of July or it starts defaulting.

Here are a few charts from Der Spiegel which lay out the raw data:
image-201999-galleryV9-ncql.jpg
image-227467-galleryV9-ceqd.jpg
image-227476-galleryV9-bypx.jpg

_53481387_eurozone_chart624.gif

Der Spiegel and The Economist both provide the best reading for lay people like myself on this situation.

I will try to add to the OP a bit.

Saint Madness on

• Options
    edited June 2011
    I'll state right now, as I do in all economics discussions, that I have never studied the subject and all my knowledge of it comes from the crash course myself and my fellow countrymen got in it when the banking system collapsed.

The way I see it, Greece is screwed, even if its debt was suddenly zero it still has huge problems with protectionism, corruption and tax evasion.

It's a real shame to see an honest man like George Papandreou get steamrolled by this crisis (which is mostly the fault of his own grandfather's decisions).

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited June 2011
    So if Greece decides they don't want any more austerity, what's their next move? Abandoning the euro, I guess?

How far does this have to spread before the euro itself goes? Spain maybe? I think I have some deutschemarks somewhere.

Tiger Burning on
    Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    So if Greece decides they don't want any more austerity, what's their next move? Abandoning the euro, I guess?

How far does this have to spread before the euro itself goes? Spain maybe? I think I have some deutschemarks somewhere.

To clarify, the Government is trying to pass the reforms but the EU/IMF want the Opposition to consent to them as well.

The Opposition just want to bring the Government down and return to power, if it manages that, it will most likely take the exact same decisions Papandreou is trying to take right now.

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm glad someone made a thread about this. Apparently Greece is now selling off its public assets
    http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2007-10-09-auto-exec-pay_N.htm
    Greece to Sell Off State Assets
    Looking to pick up a Greek airport on the cheap? The debt-ridden country is preparing to auction off billions of dollars worth of state assets in order to satisfy European lenders’ demands ahead of a second bailout. Airports, highways, and banks will be on the auction block, with a goal of raising $71 billion through such privatizations by 2015. Greece must also submit to more austerity measures, according to the terms of the bailout. Prime Minister George Papandreou, barely clinging to power, will face a vote of confidence on his latest cabinet shuffle.

Meanwhile, intrade is giving 30% odds that at least one country will abandon the Euro this year.

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Could a country in as deep a fiscal crisis as Greece really launch its own currency without collapsing totally?

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Could a country in as deep a fiscal crisis as Greece really launch its own currency without collapsing totally?

Who knows? It might also be their only chance to NOT collapse totally.

Paul Krugman argued that the last time a currency zone broke up was the Austro-Hungarian Empire. We're in really unknown territory here.

edit- this is what he actually said
    QUESTION FROM GUEST: How do you evaluate the possibility of EU member states’ abandoning the euro and returning to their own currencies? Do you foresee a PIIGS crisis in the eurozone?

PAUL KRUGMAN: As a technical matter, it’s almost impossible to leave the euro—any country that even began the process would face the mother of all bank runs. You’d really have to have financial collapse first. I don’t think there’s been an orderly breakup of a currency zone since the partition of the Austro-Hungarian empire, and if I remember this required things like closing borders for extended periods.

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/ask/2010/02/questions-for-macfarquhar.html#ixzz1PqwcxFbC

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

To clarify, the Government is trying to pass the reforms but the EU/IMF want the Opposition to consent to them as well.

The Opposition just want to bring the Government down and return to power, if it manages that, it will most likely take the exact same decisions Papandreou is trying to take right now.

Wow. That sounds really familiar.......

rockrnger on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    rockrnger wrote: »

Wow. That sounds really familiar.......

Doesn't it?

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Papandreou faces a confidence vote tomorrow, if he loses the whole country is going tits up.

The IMF is getting really antsy about the whole thing turning into the second GFC in almost as many years.

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Does Greece really have any choice other default? The economy is in freefall (thanks largely to the first set of austerity measures) and if she continues to limp along from bailout to bailout it'll make the lost decade look like a summer's afternoon, with a tremendous human cost.

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Greece has a serious tax evasion problem. Pretty much the only people who do pay are foreign corporations.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

It's pretty much the case where it would most likely happen in the reverse order: massive financial system collapse, and then the Greeks respond by going back on their own currency. They are in really bad shape, and the way the rest of the Eurozone and the ECB have responded leave little confidence that it will end well for Greece. Greece is in a situation where they can't reasonably pay off their loans, and all they are getting offered is more loans to try to paper over the problem and kick the can down the road.

There has been a vaguely similar situation in the past though, where Argentina had its currency pegged to the dollar for a decade but was then forced to drop the peg in the face of crisis. They had to default on their public debt and there was a massive financial meltdown, but they were able to start recovery eventually.

Savant on
  • Options
    QliphothQliphoth Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The EU refuses to give Greece any more loans until they pass even more austerity. Even more austerity when their economy is collapsing is just going to prolong the crisis even further. The Greeks are going to be paying this money back for decades, even if they manage to pass more cuts and get a second loan it's only a matter of time before the people either revolt completely or elect a far right/far left party who says they are going to stop paying the loans back. Whether this happens in 3 months or 3 years is the only question. The current path isn't sustainable.

Edit: And on the Irish question it's a similar matter of time before they realise that their government has no money because they are paying to prop up foreign banks.

Qliphoth on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    And what happens if they do stop paying the loans? Someone nukes them?

Magus` on
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    Magus` wrote: »

Everyone agrees to look the other way on the Cyprus issue.

Bagginses on
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Default goes into bank runs and financial system collapse. There will be a rush for the exits on Greek debt and banks, which will cause damage in the greater Eurozone, particularly in the other European banks holding that debt. But you wouldn't have armies knocking on the door or anything like that trying to get paid back for money that isn't there.

Savant on
  • Options
    dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well, they're selling off a bunch of stuff, maybe if they get the Elgin marbles back, they could re-sell them to the highest bidder. And I bet the Parthenon would look great in Vegas.

Seriously, though? If they default on the bailout debts, they'll probably end up switching governments every few years, being unable to borrow any money or fund any development. Won't be pretty, that's for sure.

dojango on
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The only reasonable way out I see is prepackaged default, similar to the Detroit bailout. The EU center agrees to make available a huge sum of bridge loans, Greece defaults on its current debt with bondholder haircuts large enough to save the public finances but small enough to save their financial system, and they return to private capital markets in a decade.

The downside includes that Portugal and Ireland may well need to be bailed out in the same fashion once bondholders see that we're willing to let sovereigns go bust. But yields are already high; I don't know how much more they'd rise. It would also be seriously unpopular in Germany and France as they'd have to pay for it all. Welcome to the transfer union.

Finally, Greece will still need to deal with the uncompetitiveness problem. Since external devaluation is off the table (common currency) that only leaves internal devaluation. So we're talking years of falling wages and prices along with the high unemployment and debt deflation bankruptcies. All the while the government would lose fiscal sovereignty to foreign nations who are dictating the bridge loan terms. It would probably help to send in a bunch of eurocrats to help straighten out the tax collection system and fight corruption. All of that would of course go over swimmingly with the Greek.

I see no alternative to the above. Leaving the Euro would result in exactly the financial disaster they're trying to avoid. And I have serious doubts that they could achieve the levels of austerity necessary to avoid default considering the size of their public sector and generally poor bureaucracy.

enc0re on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    enc0re wrote: »
    The only reasonable way out I see is prepackaged default, similar to the Detroit bailout. The EU center agrees to make available a huge sum of bridge loans, Greece defaults on its current debt with bondholder haircuts large enough to save the public finances but small enough to save their financial system, and they return to private capital markets in a decade.

The downside includes that Portugal and Ireland may well need to be bailed out in the same fashion once bondholders see that we're willing to let sovereigns go bust. But yields are already high; I don't know how much more they'd rise. It would also be seriously unpopular in Germany and France as they'd have to pay for it all. Welcome to the transfer union.

Finally, Greece will still need to deal with the uncompetitiveness problem. Since external devaluation is off the table (common currency) that only leaves internal devaluation. So we're talking years of falling wages and prices along with the high unemployment and debt deflation bankruptcies. All the while the government would lose fiscal sovereignty to foreign nations who are dictating the bridge loan terms. It would probably help to send in a bunch of eurocrats to help straighten out the tax collection system and fight corruption. All of that would of course go over swimmingly with the Greek.

I see no alternative to the above. Leaving the Euro would result in exactly the financial disaster they're trying to avoid. And I have serious doubts that they could achieve the levels of austerity necessary to avoid default considering the size of their public sector and generally poor bureaucracy.

There's also what Iceland did: give everyone the finger and let the central bank go bankrupt and let all the foreigners watch their saving accounts go down the drain.

Bagginses on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    AFAIK Iceland never defaulted, doesn't have a crazy high debt load, and their central bank hasn't gone bankrupt. In fact, I don't even know how a central bank could go bankrupt.

enc0re on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    AFAIK Iceland never defaulted, doesn't have a crazy high debt load, and their central bank hasn't gone bankrupt. In fact, I don't even know how a central bank could go bankrupt.

Sorry, brain fart.

Bagginses on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Same way any other bank can go bankrupt, too many debts, not enough assets. Even though the central bank is backed by the taxation power of the government in theory, it can still happen.

As for Iceland, it had a commercial banking sector collapse, the central bank is still around. They're getting loans from the IMF as I recall. They also didn't have any deposit insurance, and I think they rejected the bill offering to pay foreign depositors back in a referendum.

dojango on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Savant wrote: »

Default goes into bank runs and financial system collapse. There will be a rush for the exits on Greek debt and banks, which will cause damage in the greater Eurozone, particularly in the other European banks holding that debt. But you wouldn't have armies knocking on the door or anything like that trying to get paid back for money that isn't there.

That would be France and Germany then.

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Note that the Argentine and Russian unpegging and defaults were very, very traumatic, even though the effects were relatively brief.

Leaving the Euro would entail all the chaos of a collapsed peg and a currency switch.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    There seems to have been a huge acceptance of cheating with taxes on every level of Greek society.

Maybe not really relevant but it was quite funny, saw in a paper the other day. There was a satellite image of a wealthier Athens suburb and it said that according to official tax documentations there should be swimming pools on 324 properties - but in reality there were swimming pools on over sixteen THOUSAND properties in the suburb.

It's just hilarious, 2% were apparently being honest.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    ronya wrote: »
    Note that the Argentine and Russian unpegging and defaults were very, very traumatic, even though the effects were relatively brief.

Leaving the Euro would entail all the chaos of a collapsed peg and a currency switch.

The economist claims that both Russia and Argentina benefited from their defaults (although there was an initial contraction, they recovered nicely, and shortly). Of course, apples =/= oranges and all that, Argentina's economy was in better shape than Greece's, I believe, and Russia has that sweet sweet oil money to fall back on.

dojango on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    dojango wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »

The economist claims that both Russia and Argentina benefited from their defaults (although there was an initial contraction, they recovered nicely, and shortly). Of course, apples =/= oranges and all that, Argentina's economy was in better shape than Greece's, I believe, and Russia has that sweet sweet oil money to fall back on.

The crises occurred because the previous economic structure were unsustainable, so, yes, after a (traumatic) adjustment to a sustainable system, growth improved. The point is that adjustment can be very damaging; the costs are far from evenly distributed and there is typically no government strength to organize welfare and infrastructure and so on in a reasonable manner. So you get food shortages and looting and such.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    NumiNumi Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Vanity Fair ran a piece with some nice info about the fundamental failures of Greece.

The tax collection stuff and inability to produce accurate numbers gives the whole thing a third world aura.

Numi on
  • Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    In the paper this morning they interviewed a bunch of people on the streets of Athens. The general consensus was "Meh, I don't want to pay back any loans. I think we should just give everyone the finger, it's not our problem!"

Just anecdotes but it shows how separated the people are from the government and how little they care/understand about the issue.

Movitz on
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Fun Fact. This is all Goldman Sachs fault as well.

No, really.

Prior to the Euro's launch Greece's financial health was not strong enough to meet membership requirements for the Euro. Goldman Sachs constructed a series of financial instruments with the sole purpose of allowing Greece to move debt off its balance sheet - effectively hiding it - at the cost of increased interest rates on that debt. This gave a false impression that the Greek economy was up to snuff and they were allowed in.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    How ironic; the very country that is increasingly finding itself troubled by the Euro needs to keep Greece afloat in order to stop any bank destruction in their own country.

Honestly, I still envisage a domino effect if Greece defaults or goes back to it's own economy. Portugal would follow suit, then Ireland (depending on how they're feeling), then possibly Spain.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Didn't Costas Simitis's government do that?

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Same way any other bank can go bankrupt, too many debts, not enough assets. Even though the central bank is backed by the taxation power of the government in theory, it can still happen.

The liabilities of a central bank consists of the money they have created. They neither pay interest on that money nor can money holders redeem it. Their assets consist of whatever the central bank purchases to put that money into circulation, usually government debt. So I still don't understand how a central bank could go bankrupt. Central banks aren't backed by the power of taxation. They are backed by having a magic bank account into which they can type any amount of money. Imagine you could log into your online banking and just type any amount you wanted into your account balances. How could you bankrupt?
    That would be France and Germany then.

Look how small the absolute amounts are though. I doubt we would see any bank runs or collapses among German or French banks from those amounts. They've already had to write down those holdings by over 50% anyway, so most of those losses have been realized.

enc0re on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

The liabilities of a central bank consists of the money they have created. They neither pay interest on that money nor can money holders redeem it. Their assets consist of whatever the central bank purchases to put that money into circulation, usually government debt. So I still don't understand how a central bank could go bankrupt. Central banks aren't backed by the power of taxation. They are backed by having a magic bank account into which they can type any amount of money. Imagine you could log into your online banking and just type any amount you wanted into your account balances. How could you bankrupt?

FWIW, state-level central banks here borrow from the ECB; they have no authority to create more money.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    The conversation was about the central bank of Iceland. So more like the ECB in the European context.

enc0re on
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Greece is the bogyman welfare-state the Republicans try to scare everyone with, made real. The people are lazy, the government run industry is worthless, and every social services is exploited to the hilt by the shiftless. A hair-dresser retiring with full pension at 50? I really can't blame the French/Germans for not want to fund that shit.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    The PR aspect is horrendous. Especially since they just raised their own retirement ages to improve budgets; France from 60 to 62, Germany from 65 to 67.

The populist headlines write themselves: "We now work to 67 so that the Greek can retire at 50."
    Subtitle: "And they are the ones demonstrating."

enc0re on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    that populism is perhaps not quite likely to translate into the necessary imperialist feeling of pressuring the Greece into adopting desired policy, but rather the wash-our-hands-of-it of trying to expel Greece...

and I doubt Greeks really appreciate what default or currency switch would entail, so Greece might not fight especially hard to stay

(this is a problem of leaders signing a pact that implicitly entails fiscal and political union without selling it as such)

One not-especially-optimal possible outcome is a live demonstration of the consequences of default, in Greece, nudging the other borderline nations into action...

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited June 2011
    You know what would fix this?

Printing more money.

Whippy on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You know what would fix this?