As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Burn your books! [eReaders] are here!

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I returned the book (Why is that feature not built into the kindle app itself? Why do I need to open the browser?), but.. yeah, still at that 1 limit.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote:
    I returned the book (Why is that feature not built into the kindle app itself? Why do I need to open the browser?), but.. yeah, still at that 1 limit.

I'm assuming that the 1 book limit is due to the fact that Amazon pays the author per check out and not just once for a licence. Your local library should have more books you can borrow. I don't sweat it, it's a free service provided with my Prime subscription, I can't really argue when they add more services to something I'm already paying for.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Thinking about selling my 2nd Generation Kindle w/3G and getting one of the new ones w/o 3G. Good idea or bad idea?

I don't really need the 3G, and I don't really like the buttons on my model. Also, I would like it if pages loaded faster. I figure that I could get around $70-$80 for my Kindle, which would allow me to get the cheapest current model without paying much extra.

• Options
    FiskavFiskav Registered User regular
    edited December 2015

Fiskav on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    I figure that I'd get one without a keyboard, since I never use the keyboard on mine for anything.

• Options
    edited December 2015

Fiskav on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    How is it not free? Prime Membership? Cause I haven't been charged for any of the books I have borrowed. I'll take one free book a month over nothing.

• Options
    JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Jubal77 wrote:
    How is it not free? Prime Membership? Cause I haven't been charged for any of the books I have borrowed. I'll take one free book a month over nothing.
    Yes, of course it's the Prime membership. Nobody is going to want to pay $6.58 per "free" book, so it's not actually anything but another perk for current Prime members. Not that that's particularly a bad thing, but it's not much of a library.

JHunz on
    bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Looks like I'm in the market for a Kindle! One of my final textbooks for college is available on Kindle, and I'm part time so tuition is cheaper this semester! Decisions decisions.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I'm finally getting out of the print comics market and going digital. Is the Kindle Fire tablet a good choice for a comics reader? I know it's compatible with Comixology.

Keep in mind I'm not willing to pay over $250.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Can someone link a good hard case/cover for the Kindle on Amazon? I'm about to order one and since I travel a lot I need something that help protect it against having a bunch of luggage thrown on top of it. It's obviously not going to stop everything but I'd feel better with some protection.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote:
    Looks like I'm in the market for a Kindle! One of my final textbooks for college is available on Kindle, and I'm part time so tuition is cheaper this semester! Decisions decisions.
    I adore my Kindle, but keep in mind that if your usual textbook use includes highlighting/underlining/note taking, looking things up in the index, flipping back to earlier chapters or pages, flipping through it while studying, etc. then a Kindle version isn't going to be so hot.

• Options
    edited December 2015

Fiskav on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Quid wrote:
    Can someone link a good hard case/cover for the Kindle on Amazon? I'm about to order one and since I travel a lot I need something that help protect it against having a bunch of luggage thrown on top of it. It's obviously not going to stop everything but I'd feel better with some protection.

For the eInk Kindles I have a M-Edge. My husband uses the Executive, which is huge, and I use the Trip Jacket, which is much smaller. I throw my kindle in my school bag and don't ever worry about it, and my fat-ass pug walks all over it constantly in the M-Edge.

For the Fire I hate the look of the M-Edge offerings so I got a rooCase and it's fucking amazing. If I get a non-keyboard eInk Kindle and need a new case I'll probably get a rooCase for it.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Fiskav on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fiskav wrote:
    Elin wrote:
    Quid wrote:

For the eInk Kindles I have a M-Edge. My husband uses the Executive, which is huge, and I use the Trip Jacket, which is much smaller. I throw my kindle in my school bag and don't ever worry about it, and my fat-ass pug walks all over it constantly in the M-Edge.

For the Fire I hate the look of the M-Edge offerings so I got a rooCase and it's fucking amazing. If I get a non-keyboard eInk Kindle and need a new case I'll probably get a rooCase for it.

Is the Fire any good? Most of my media is on iTunes, so I'm unsure if it'd be a good investment media consumption-wise.

The Fire is a media consumption device. I use it for Internet, reddit, Amazon movies, netflixs, audible books, games, and light reading. I still use my Kindle 3 for the bulk of my reading. For what I wanted it for, a portable device to use between classes and on trips, it's amazing. For someone that wants a full-feature tablet that can used for productive things it would be lackluster.

The Fire has no camera, limited memory, no 3G, and no blue tooth capabilities. The latter means you can not hook a keyboard to it. It also is HEAVILY modded in the OS department. It doesn't have a native gmail client.

Basically, I love my Fire but I make sure that people know exactly why I love it and why they may not.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Fiskav on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    It has a generic 'email' app that I'm pretty sure works with Gmail. If you REALLY need Gmail/other Google apps you can root and install them and as far as I know they all work minus ones that require hardware features the Fire lacks (like GPS). It has the interwebs, so if you can access it online you can pretty much do it through that interface so it's not like you can't use gmail at all one way or another.

Fire does everything you want (probably), just more expensive devices can do it better (probably).

@Elin: Which rooCase did you get for your Fire exactly?

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    EvilOtakuEvilOtaku Registered User regular
    I'm also running a few console emulators on it.(PSX,SNES, N64) no rooting required. the lack of bluetooth really hurts it though(no controller support). Hopefully that will be unlocked soon

• Options
    Last I looked it's not confirmed it's wired to work if it's there at all, but I haven't checked in a week or two. We can hope, though.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    FYI, current lightning deal is the lighted amazon cover for 49.99

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Xeddicus wrote:

@Elin: Which rooCase did you get for your Fire exactly?

I got this one, the dual view in red. I really like that you can seperate the inner case and use it seperately. And the stand works really well.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I despise 1-Click Buy. How am I supposed to use my points on a Kindle book if it wont let me choose my payment method? Is there a way to do this?

I bought LotR this way, BTW.

Cantido on
  • Options
    Cantido wrote:
    I despise 1-Click Buy. How am I supposed to use my points on a Kindle book if it wont let me choose my payment method? Is there a way to do this?

What do you mean by points? Any Amazon credit on your account will be used to pay for purchases automatically no matter what payment methods are on 1 click. I'm not sure that's what you mean by points though.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    Elin wrote:
    Cantido wrote:

What do you mean by points? Any Amazon credit on your account will be used to pay for purchases automatically no matter what payment methods are on 1 click. I'm not sure that's what you mean by points though.

Oh, I mean my Amazon Visa.

• Options
    Cantido wrote:
    Elin wrote:
    Cantido wrote:

I'd email or chat with Amazon, I no clue how to use reward points for payment.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Elin wrote:
    Cantido wrote:
    Elin wrote:
    Cantido wrote:

Dude, get on that. When I finally figured it out, I had over 200 bucks between my Amazon Visa and American Express for digital hookers and blow.

Cantido on
  • Options
    I don't have a card that does reward points. Sad, I know. I trade in textbooks to Amazon for as much as I paid or more for credit. I'm rebelling this semester and not buying textbooks.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    Cantido wrote:
    Elin wrote:
    Cantido wrote:
    Elin wrote:
    Cantido wrote:

Dude, get on that. When I finally figured it out, I had over 200 bucks between my Amazon Visa and American Express for digital hookers and blow.

So, while I was just checking to see if my latest textbook trade went trough I noticed a section of my account titled "shopping with points." Have you tried that?

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    I just got my Nook Simple Touch today. I was wary of buying one, partly because I typically enjoy the physical book experience and partly because I read of issues with the display freezing, but since it cost me nothing I ordered one. I also have a Kindle here on lease from the local library, so I've been able to compare the two.

Starting it up, I found out the Nook does not play nice with my router. I had to drive around town to piggyback on someone else's wifi in order to register the device. The library and gas stations didn't work, but thankfully the local insurance company had unsecured internet. :P

That's an issue, but I can easily transfer epubs from my computer to the device so I'm not too bothered.

Aside from that, this thing is delightful. The Kindle is harsh and cold to look at and hold. The soft plastic and indented back of the Nook just feel great. I'm pretty excited to start reading books on this. I'm sure you've all heard before, but I just felt like sharing my initial impressions.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    I bounced around in LotR. My Kindle has elvish splattered on the screen. EEeeeeeeee :D

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    6.2.2 Kindle Fire update is out! The Carousel is fixed now. I have absolutely no issues with it now. You can remove items off it now too. They also implemented a basic restriction on the device as well. You can assign a password to activate the wireless on the devices. I can only assume this is meant as a first gen parental permission until they can implement something better. Full screen browsing and other enhancements are included as well. Just keeps getting better and better.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    The carousel was updated to delete stuff in 6.2.1. Same with the password for wifi. Not even using Silk myself, so this update is rather lack luster. Especially since it breaks root again for no reason so makes you re-root.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Are ePubs worth buying at all? From what I'm reading and if I understand this correctly they are the mp4 of books: free format, DRM capable if required, widely accessible on nearly all devices, but are they as good as books purchased on a native store? (Kindle books on a Kindle/Nook books on a Nook?) Or do they have formatting issues or limitations that make them less desirable?

I haven't picked up an eReader yet, but was thinking of starting to read on my phone a bit until I do, but don't want to get stuck with Kindle books if I get a Nook, or Nook books if I get a Kindle.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    sir_pinch-a-loafsir_pinch-a-loaf #YODORegistered User regular
    Epubs don't work on a Kindle, FYI.

• Options
    Epubs don't work on a Kindle, FYI.

They don't but if they are drm free Calibre easily converts them to .mobi files.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    And that's the information I needed to hear, thanks, I didn't know they didn't support it. Ugh, why can't anything just be simple and cross platform? It's TEXT, should be the simplest thing to make compatible. If I end up getting any, I'll make sure they're DRM free for Calibre I guess.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    If it helps, pretty much every ebook reader except the Kindle uses EPUB as their primary formats. Main reason I dislike the Kindle. EPUB is the international standard ebook format, and Amazon is constantly flipping the bird at all its developers and the IDPF. If they weren't happy with the standard, they could've, you know, helped improve it rather than being a bunch of geese. It's Microsoft and ODF all over again.

Guess they really wanted that ecosystem lock-in.

• Options
    Ok, thanks!

I really hate buying into any ecosystems more than I have to. If I can survive on open formats I will.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    That's one of the big reasons I bought a Nook.

Also most of the tech blog reviews I read liked the Nook over the Kindle.