As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Skyrim]: Its actually Oblivion 2, in fact, its probably just Fallout with swords.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    That is so cool!

Hide your mudcrabs, hide your goblins... Dragons be snatchin up errybody!

"Filthy creatuAAAAAAAARGHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh[tiny]hhhhhhhhhhhhh[/tiny]"

*plok*

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm glad to read that 8 guys are doing dungeons because I am ready to crap out doing quests for 1....wait, does 8 guys mean designing the dungeons layout and rewards or 8 people designing doing the stories around the dungeons, telling the tale?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    Wandering HeroWandering Hero Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Can't... stop... clicking...

1:00 mark on the trailer makes me feel soooooo good

Wandering Hero on
    Not today.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I'm glad to read that 8 guys are doing dungeons because I am ready to crap out doing quests for 1....wait, does 8 guys mean designing the dungeons layout and rewards or 8 people designing doing the stories around the dungeons, telling the tale?

I guess it basically means they're putting a lot more effort into the dungeons than that of the war crime (reportedly) that was Oblivion. Which had dungeons designed by a robot housing the fused brains of Hitler and Ted Bundy, with QA by Piers Morgan.

Man, Oblivion is all kinds of fun. I'm not the biggest fan of its dungeons, but I just started a new game the other day and I'm already sinking hours of my life into it. Haters need to grow up a little.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The demo was a recorded video, not played live, so it makes me think they just took some footage from testers that looked cool including the random dragon encounter.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I swear to God, the moment I get the construction kit, I'm making a hyper agreessive army of level 1 wood elves called HYPER-bole and having them run rampant among the countryside. They shall wield the closest thing to wangs I can find in the game and they will not stop until they have caught all my arrows.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    darleysam wrote: »
    with QA by Piers Morgan

This made me lol.

Its like... what did Piers Morgan do? Or is there something horrible about him I don't know?

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

It's 17 guys doing the dungeons.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Darmak wrote: »

It's 17 guys doing the dungeons.
    OP wrote:
    -In Oblivion there was only 1 guy working on the dungeons, this time for Skyrim, 8 devs are working on them and there are around 120 dungeons in the game.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Bethesda has recently confirmed at least 120 dungeons to be included in Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, with no two areas being alike. Bethesda has 8 people working specifically on dungeon creation, crafting each one by hand. This is a stark comparison to Oblivion. In the last Elder Scrolls game, there was one dungeon creator who relied on "procedurally generated landscapes." It's noted that of the dungeons in Skyrim, you will encounter things, puzzles, enemies, that you will not find anywhere else in the world. These one of a kind instances will make each journey into a dungeon a new and treacherous experience.

Wandering Hero on
    Not today.
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've never believed Oblivion to be a good game, even at release. I've always believed it to be a platform by which a good game can happen, given sufficient community input.
    Prohass wrote: »
    Also there wasnt one actor that did humans even in Oblivion, I doubt there will be only one in Skyrim.
    There wasn't one actor doing every female character, either. There was a not insignificant amount of joke in there.

Monger on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hey guys.

Psst.

Hey

Y'all see this post?
    Dashui wrote: »
    They've said they've hand-crafted all the dungeons this time around, unlike what they did with Oblivion. They're certainly aware of the Oblivion complaints. Todd Howard talked about that specifically in a Game Informer interview.

And as far your attribute complaint, that's certainly not going to be in Skyrim because there are no attributes to increase per level up! I know some people don't like that, but instead of choosing from things like Strength and Intelligence, you choose to either increase your health, mana or stamina and then choose a perk. Perks are chosen from your skill categories, include things like new moves, and I believe I remember them saying they were designed so that when you level up, you'll feel noticeably stronger right away.

This was a quality post.

Thanks for presenting info that I didn't see in the OP's links that actually answered some of my issues instead of just getting buttmad Dashul.

Remember folks: I spend at least half the year on a boat with either no internet or complete shit internet (videos are basically one giant "LOL NOPE" category for me either way). It's very easy to miss information in my line of work.
    God you know what TOG we've had this discussion in every thread since Oblivion
    Sorry I'm not a 5 year veteran on these forums your highness.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Well, the obvious solution here, TOG, is to quit that job...

Like... duh

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    teg5511teg5511 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    [vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fep76txjf9A]The best rendition of the Elder Scrolls theme song[/vidurl]

teg5511 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    TOG, the bit about 'Bethesda has a lot of trust to regain after that nightmaric piece of shit that was Oblivion. I'll reserve my right to get hype until they prove that this isn't gonna be just Oblivion with some Morrowind fan service tack on' is what most are objecting to, because it's useless hyperbole on a grand scale. At the end of the day, it's video games, some people like them, some people don't. The 'OH MY GOSH OBLIVION IS LITERALLY THE WORST PILE OF CODE EVER CRAPPED OUT ONTO A DVD' opinion has been flung about a great many times since its release, and people are tired about it. It's really not that bad, certainly not 'nightmaric', and flailing in with declarations like that won't fly too far with people all too used to seeing it over the years.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    You said it yourself:
    At the end of the day, it's video games, some people like them, some people don't.
    So then don't get so mad at one guy's random opinion?

Like... duh
    Fuck that, I've read The Book of Job thread. I'd rather put up with shit internet for half the year then that soul sucking, Monday-Friday hell you landlubbers have to deal with.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    You said it yourself:
    At the end of the day, it's video games, some people like them, some people don't.
    When someone disagrees with you and challenges your opinion, "lol y u mad?" isn't a compelling reply. Opinions are always open to criticism.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Hoz wrote: »
    You said it yourself:
    When someone disagrees with you and challenges your opinion, "lol y u mad?" isn't a compelling reply. Opinions are always open to criticism.

I didn't say "lol y u mad." Do I look like some piece of 4chan shit?

It was an honest question. He commented that obviously some people like stuff and some people don't. You cannot adopt that sort of attitude and then go on a tirade about what I said. Furthermore, if you're going to challenge my initial opinion then you aren't allowed to go on a rant about the fact that I supported my opinion after having it be directly challenged.

To put this in an easy to understand analogy: You aren't allowed to whine about getting bit if you intentionally walk into a yard that has a giant sign that says "beware of dog."

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    You said it yourself:

Like... duh
    Fuck that, I've read The Book of Job thread. I'd rather put up with shit internet for half the year then that soul sucking, Monday-Friday hell you landlubbers have to deal with.

Yo man, I just quoted without judgement. I missed out that HtH was gone and that's cause I'm just lazy.

How does it feel that you can answer half the questions asked of you with, "I'm on a BOAT!"

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Nah you don't get it.

He's pretty awesome in any thread he posts in.

Also, Oblivion was and still is awesome.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    A question for those with MGE: I'm noticing vegetation, mostly trees, phase into existence not too far in front of me as I'm walking around. What option can I change to make that vegetation view distance greater?

That pop-in may be related to the black line that surrounds me in a circle, making vegetation within the circle sharper.

And speaking of Oblivion, pretty water!

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/images/37825-4-1308726932.jpg

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/images/37825-5-1308727172.jpg

I want to know how I can get that boat, though. Or any boat! I imagine that could be fun to sail from Anvil down to Valenwood. With the Elsweyr and Valenwood landmasses installed, that's a lot of ground to explore.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Sounds like your character might be a living vessel for Korlus, Lord of Creation.

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Sounds like your character might be a living vessel for Korlus, Lord of Creation.

That's something I'm really enjoying with the previews, the dragonshout gimmick. Now, correct me if I'm wrong but the TES games and both Fallouts had some characters and enemies with special abilities and I'm glad to see the scales being balanced.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh my HECK!

I'm watching that 6 minute vid in the OP(never seen it, or any Skyrim stuff outside of trailers)

No sound at work, but that bit where he's molesting mammoths, and then goes to fight the frost giant guy... then DRAGON OUT OF FUCKING NOWHERE! Was that scripted, or random? Also, fighting dragons looks fucking rad.

Dang... super hyped now. AssRev and Skyrim are now my definite purchases for the Holiday blitz.

This has been already answered, but you can hear it from the horse's mouth here

Todd Howard Interview

Mostly stuff that's been covered before, but there is some other info - talking about modding on the consoles (not in Skyrim, though Bethesda do want mods on consoles) and DLC.

e: oh and it won't have a FO3 style ending (you can continue playing)

101 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    101 wrote: »
    Oh my HECK!

I'm watching that 6 minute vid in the OP(never seen it, or any Skyrim stuff outside of trailers)

No sound at work, but that bit where he's molesting mammoths, and then goes to fight the frost giant guy... then DRAGON OUT OF FUCKING NOWHERE! Was that scripted, or random? Also, fighting dragons looks fucking rad.

Dang... super hyped now. AssRev and Skyrim are now my definite purchases for the Holiday blitz.

This has been already answered, but you can hear it from the horse's mouth here

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    woops.jpg

101 on
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Really excited for this.

I liked oblivion, never finished the main campaign, but did most of the sidequests, which I thought were just better and more interesting.

Did they say anything about auto leveling? Are they using the fallout model?

I really disliked the oblivion auto level scheme.

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    That's a great interview, and one I missed. I was somewhat amused by his response about PC mods on the console versions and their dev kit units.

I'm still surprised by how good this game looks, and all the footage we've seen has been from the 360 version. It's a fairly large jump in quality. They're really pushing that system. I've even been keeping an eye out for pop-in in the videos and have noticed very little - only grass.
    Smaug6 wrote:
    Did they say anything about auto leveling? Are they using the fallout model?

Fallout model.

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    A question for those with MGE: I'm noticing vegetation, mostly trees, phase into existence not too far in front of me as I'm walking around. What option can I change to make that vegetation view distance greater?

I haven't noticed that with MGE and I'm not really sure what affects that.

All I can really say is go here and go down to the bit about setting up MGE and make sure you do it like that.

Wandering Hero on
    Not today.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    One thing I am curious about is body builds. I wonder if they will allow different ones. Oblivion and Morrowind both kind of all had the same builds for everyone. In Skyrim, I see the main character is very muscled but what will affect that? Will my mage character be that way? Can I have an over or under weight adventurer?

Wandering Hero on
    Not today.
  • Options
    edited June 2011

I haven't noticed that with MGE and I'm not really sure what affects that.

All I can really say is go here and go down to the bit about setting up MGE and make sure you do it like that.

I found out what it was. That setting was actually described in the Morrowind Overhaul install guide, but I must have glossed over it.

It's in the Distant Land Setup Wizard, Statics tab. The minimum static size value determines how many static objects like trees and rocks will be shown on the screen. The higher the value, the lower your view distance will be of static items, essentially. I changed that value from 100 to 50 and now I don't see any pop-in from trees.

Dashui on
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oblivion GOTY edition is part of the Steam Summer Sale.

And it's ridiculously cheap.

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Is this out yet? No? Darn it. I guess I get to go to Game Stop and put down $20 more on my pre-order lay-a-way plan. :)

I'm depending on you guys to let me know when the collector's edition comes out so I can switch my pre-order. Has there been any info at all on that?

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hm, I'm trying to use OOO with the deadly reflex mod. OOO works fine but when I enable deadly reflex the game does nothing when I click new game. Any ideas?

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Hm, I'm trying to use OOO with the deadly reflex mod. OOO works fine but when I enable deadly reflex the game does nothing when I click new game. Any ideas?

Did you make sure to place Deadly Reflex last in your load order?

Dashui on
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    One thing I am curious about is body builds. I wonder if they will allow different ones. Oblivion and Morrowind both kind of all had the same builds for everyone. In Skyrim, I see the main character is very muscled but what will affect that? Will my mage character be that way? Can I have an over or under weight adventurer?
    Everyone was pretty ripped in Oblivion too. It's probably going to be the same for all characters.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    edited June 2011

I've been googling a bit and deadly reflex needs a TON of shit installed, half of which doesn't even have install instructions. I don't even know where those .DLL's go and the DFM readme just tosses a ton of links at me, isn't there a convenient little pack somewhere that I can just copy paste and have it work?

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Lork wrote: »
    Everyone was pretty ripped in Oblivion too. It's probably going to be the same for all characters.

Actually I think you can customise body shape. I'll try to find the source.

Renegade Wolf on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

I've been googling a bit and deadly reflex needs a TON of shit installed, half of which doesn't even have install instructions. I don't even know where those .DLL's go and the DFM readme just tosses a ton of links at me, isn't there a convenient little pack somewhere that I can just copy paste and have it work?

I haven't seen any convenient packages. I actually left that mod out for compatibility's sake, since having big overhauls tends to increase the chances of something going wrong. Sorry. :(

Getting Oblivion modded can be a huge pain in the ass. I still don't know how I'm suppose to install and then update with Wyre Bash a Vilja (companion mod) FCOM patch. Mart's Monster Mod confused me a bit because the author released a new version which recommends choosing options for Fran's contrary to what FCOM's now outdated install guide recommends. I ended up going with the older version of it listed in the FCOM guide, although I still don't know if I did everything right.

I wonder if I should just do a clean install with only Oscuro's overhaul instead of FCOM, or at least leave out Mart's Monster Mod. Just thinking about my modded install is giving me a headache.

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeah I'm clearing out the mods and just using OOO. There's just too much effort involved in having to install 5 overhauls and a weird mod manager that doesn't even seem to work properly with Steam just to use one mod.

I just lost my main menu UI somehow :P

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
This discussion has been closed.