As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

War [Hesher] Battle Master

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Ah, I just finished the LotR Extended Blu Ray Box. And so here's the important question: Which Summoning album is the best? But oh, how I want them all. My only beef is synth instruments. If they sound too much like Soul Calibur 1, I find them annoying. Other than that it's amazing.

Flight of the Nazgul
    autothrall wrote: »
    Wurzel from Motorhead has passed away, age 61.

:(

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'd have to go with Oath Bound as their best, with Stronghold just behind it.

That said, all of the other full-lengths (and the Nightshade Forests EP) range from good to greatness, but these two resonate the most with me, partly because the band seemed to finally equip the perfect balance of musical imagery and production.

autothrall on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Threaten to blow yourself up, steal prescription medicine, support Soundgarden and get busted. Who would have thought that Coheed And Cambria would be so interesting?

Tav on
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Kvlt?

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
  • Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The new Cannabis Corpse is indeed solid.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I've been pretty shitty about checking FtDR due to life circumstances and whatnot, but I perused the last few pages and realized the recent theme in Greek (largely Black) metal. I was largely familiar with Florida Death and don't much care for Thrash outside of a few choice bands, so the last couple of "themed" review cycles have gone largely unnoticed by me, but the Greek stuff is right up my alley. I just want to thank you for uncovering (for me) something that I find immensely enjoyable.

I may as well also reveal that I have written (and am recording) a metal album based around a Greek tragedy. You all will be the first to hear stuff from it when any of it is at a point that I'm comfortable posting it on the internet.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    No problem. The Greek black stuff is going to be fun for myself, since there are a handful of bands lined up that I'd never even heard of before taking on the task. Some surprises too.

autothrall on
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    anthraxworship.jpg

Sept 13th

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Nothing about that cover or title fill me with any semblance of hope for a decent album.

edit: There's a new Toxic Holocaust at the end of the month.

edit edit: Count Raven cancelled their appearance here in September, but Hell are playing the night before. I'm willing to accept this.

Tav on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    It's grindcore for country fans.

Hank III Cattle Callin

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Apparently there's a song called "Judas Priest" on it. Guess what it's about?
    Judas Priest

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Well shit.

Tav on
  • Options
    AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    No problem. The Greek black stuff is going to be fun for myself, since there are a handful of bands lined up that I'd never even heard of before taking on the task. Some surprises too.

It should be fun to read.

Adrenaline on
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • Options
    RotamRotam Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Apparently there's a song called "Judas Priest" on it. Guess what it's about?
    Judas Priest

KK Downing is gone,
    And Rob Halford likes dongs,

JUDAS PRIESTTTTTTTTTT *high scream*

Rotam on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I mean is it 'worship music', like for a church?

Or is it an imperative, telling us to WORSHIP MUSIC, because they do (and who the fuck doesn't?)

It just seems like a stupid title.

Also, I got to watch one of the Big 4 DVDs...musically, Anthrax sounded fine, but Joey's voice kept dropping out...he doesn't seem to sing with the same melody as he once did. Once in awhile he'll let out a scream, that's it.

autothrall on
  • Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Having your old singer is a ploy to appeal to retards to try to sell albums, see: Illud Divinum Insanus.

Mgcw on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Well, in their defense...the new singer was awful...not John Bush (he's good in Armored Saint, not in Anthrax), but the guy after him sounded like everyman's cheesy nu-metal/groove metal frontman.

autothrall on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I mean is it 'worship music', like for a church?

Or is it an imperative, telling us to WORSHIP MUSIC, because they do (and who the fuck doesn't?)

It just seems like a stupid title.

Also, I got to watch one of the Big 4 DVDs...musically, Anthrax sounded fine, but Joey's voice kept dropping out...he doesn't seem to sing with the same melody as he once did. Once in awhile he'll let out a scream, that's it.

Joey is so goddamn goofy, honestly. He is the one thing that holds me back from enjoying Anthrax more than I do already, which is at a significantly lower level than the other 3 Big 4 bands. Have you seen him at the jams they keep having every Big 4 show? He just sticks out.

As for the title, I think they mean it in the kind of way like a church would use the term. That's what it reads like to me at least.

Also, HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMN5FcgBvBU&feature=player_embedded

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Dayum. Sounding good to me.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Well, in their defense...the new singer was awful...not John Bush (he's good in Armored Saint, not in Anthrax), but the guy after him sounded like everyman's cheesy nu-metal/groove metal frontman.

Yeah, but really whose fault is that in the first place? :lol:

I predict it's going to be an album trying to sound like they used to sound and fail miserably, just like every other big 4 band has done since 2000.

Mgcw on
  • Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Fuck. I hate Ghost.

In an age when great new traditional metal is being released by bands like Argus and Portrait, why these assholes get so much exposure just because they dress up like a mix between King Diamond and SunnO))) is frustrating. There's nothing remotely scary about their music. They don't stir any emotions whatsoever. I fucking blame Decibel and the internet hypemachine for this.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Just got back from shopping.

Just in case it hasn't been said yet, don't buy the new Morbid Angel album.

That is all.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Fuck. I hate Ghost.

In an age when great new traditional metal is being released by bands like Argus and Portrait, why these assholes get so much exposure just because they dress up like a mix between King Diamond and SunnO))) is frustrating. There's nothing remotely scary about their music. They don't stir any emotions whatsoever. I fucking blame Decibel and the internet hypemachine for this.

I blame the internet hypemachine for everything, 99% of metal "fans" on the internet don't really give a shit about the music whatsoever.

Mgcw on
  • Options
    yakulyakul Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Mgcw wrote: »
    Fuck. I hate Ghost.

I blame the internet hypemachine for everything, 99% of metal "fans" on the internet don't really give a shit about the music whatsoever.

Never heard of this band before. Kinda like the guitar sound, but they do need someone better on vocals. The solo in "Elizabeth" is kinda bad. Nothing to get up in arms about though :/

yakul on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    yakul wrote: »
    Mgcw wrote: »
    Fuck. I hate Ghost.

Never heard of this band before. Kinda like the guitar sound, but they do need someone better on vocals. The solo in "Elizabeth" is kinda bad. Nothing to get up in arms about though :/

They've been darlings of the internet metal press for a while.

Morgenstern on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I actually like the album (Opus Eponymous) quite a bit, not because it's creepy, just because of the kind of 70s vibe I get from the music, but it's not the second coming or anything like some people seem to think.

Has anyone deduced who the members are, by the way? Thought I remembered hearing that it was a secret 'supergroup' or whatever. I know there's a Repugnant member in there, but not about any of the others.

autothrall on
  • Options
    BlakoutBlakout Lordran's SpookylandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The singer's pretty obviously Weird Al.

(someone mentioned that on Something Awful and I can't unhear it)

Blakout on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
  • Options
    This new format is fucking awful.

• Options
    I bookmarked this thread and then promptly got an e-mail and a popup saying you just posted that Morgenstern. I think I'm going to go edit that riiiiiiiight noooooooow.

I think it looks pretty nice myself, it'll take some getting used to for sure though.

• Options
    What the actual fuck

• Options
    And then I just got an actual tiny popup in the corner for that post, so I have no idea what's going ooooooon

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Oh my god.

This video.

This fucking video

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the preferences default to e-mail notification on bookmarked thread updates and pop ups for everything. And I need help. One of my friends insisted that no metal bands ever used a cowbell. I dug up a few Fu Manchu songs and some Vreid that had cowbells in them. Any other bands/songs I can use to show him the error of his ways?

• Options
    edited July 2011
    The new layout is blinding, dear satan, my eyes.

To answer your cowbell question, the Deivos album from last year.

Mgcw on
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    I'm also not to keen on how bright this is. In related news. I like the Ghost album. I don't think it's the greatest thing ever, but it's enjoyable to listen to. It mostly just makes me wish we could get some more Mercyful Fate.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, all the posts and threads kind of run together. Not really a fan

edit- also no more title/location :(

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Well, the colors of the layout actually match the PA brand logo...I got nothing else. Can't seem to bold or italicize anything yet.

The real question is, read my fat copy of Dance of Dragons that the GF bought for me, or write reviews? Esoptron today :)

autothrall on