Options

Netflix Price Raises and other Minor Nuisances

12346»

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    There is no way I could ever go to sleep in that.

And even if I did, there is no way I'd wake up in the morning and NOT die of shock instantly.

DivideByZero on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Raneados wrote: »
    man apartments are way more expensive than they were 2 years back when i last looked :<

It's because a lot of people are getting kicked out of their houses and driving the rental market up.

I just finished my apartment search, and there is nothing else near where I live.

So I am moving to St. Pete next month, where they overbuilt everything before the real estate crash.

But, if I may, if you found an apartment in Tampa with a yard and it's NOT on Bearss and Nebraska, then that is at least worth thinking about.

Where is it?

much closer to the university

I have a couple of "i'll settle for this" options good to go, but I'm gonna look some more, still got a while before I move out

ps guess who's helping me move

(it's you!)

I accept.

I meant to add "for only 700" to the above. When I was living on Hillsborough/Memorial my less than stellar 1 bedroom there was more than 800. USF is located so oddly that it's hard to find something in the middle.

Have you looked right on the corner on Bearrs and Bruce B Downs? There are one or two college-related apartments there that seem decent, at least nicer than what's on Fletcher.

used to live actually RIGHT there. it was expensive even way back in like 2006

500 per person for a 3 bedroom when i lived there

i AM considering a roommate MAAAAYBE, but I think i've lived alone too long for that

Raneados on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I wish I had two bathrooms.

But my new apartment not only does not have two bathrooms but now it only has one bedroom.

But... it costs more?

Wait a second this doesn't make any sense at all!

Jasconius on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    oh hah, just found the notes for the place that called me

I never even saw their apartment I saw a show apartment

so they want me to buy an apartment that I have not even SEEN

no

no I don't think so!

Raneados on
  • Options
    Samir Duran DuranSamir Duran Duran Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    "Our service is really popular and all, and we're making lots of money, but wouldn't it be cooler if we put forth the same amount of effort and made less money? Yeah, that'd own."

Well it isn't all about them is it.

Samir Duran Duran on
    Ani121OD.pngSpr_3e_121.gifAni121OD.png
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Pooro's minor nuisance is apparently people having minor nuisances in the minor nuisance thread.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    so they want me to buy an apartment that I have not even SEEN

That's typical.

One place I looked at (and which has called me no less than four times) is set to undergo renovations that replace basically the entire interior of the apartment except for the walls... but they have no model with these changes.

But they are quite adamant.

My favorite place that I would choose if I had someone who wanted to drive me around all the time (like a wife) was in South St Pete overlooking the bay behind St. Pete Beach.

And when I say overlooking I mean I could throw a tennis ball from my balcony and have it land comfortably in the bay.

But it's so far away from everything. And expensive. Two strikes!

Jasconius on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2011
    rhylith wrote: »
    And then what? Do you really think that people will subscribe to individual movie streaming services with Fox, Universal, Paramount, Warner, Disney, MGM, Sony, etc. each for like 5-10 bucks so they can have a service comparable to Netflix? Hell no they won't. There's no way it will succeed.

I never said it would necessarily succeed long term, I was just pointing out they could ruin Netflix if they wanted to. Again, look at how digital distribution of music has evolved over the past decade. It's better than it used to be, but the recording industry has fought it every step of the way and there are still lots of problems with the current systems that mostly result from the recording industry not really understanding how much it can benefit them.

So yeah, studios that are mostly led by old white dudes that are confused by the internet could very well fuck up digital distribution of visual media for years to come just because they're afraid of the future.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    dru as an old white dude you can sneak into their midst and become our 5th column into beating old white manhood

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2011
    You can't fool me. I know y'all are just trying to pirate Matlock episodes.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Druhim wrote: »
    rhylith wrote: »
    And then what? Do you really think that people will subscribe to individual movie streaming services with Fox, Universal, Paramount, Warner, Disney, MGM, Sony, etc. each for like 5-10 bucks so they can have a service comparable to Netflix? Hell no they won't. There's no way it will succeed.

I never said it would necessarily succeed long term, I was just pointing out they could ruin Netflix if they wanted to. Again, look at how digital distribution of music has evolved over the past decade. It's better than it used to be, but the recording industry has fought it every step of the way and there are still lots of problems with the current systems that mostly result from the recording industry not really understanding how much it can benefit them.

So yeah, studios that are mostly led by old white dudes that are confused by the internet could very well fuck up digital distribution of visual media for years to come just because they're afraid of the future.

They could if they want to, but there's not a lot of reason for them to want to. Netflix is still insanely profitable for them, and there's a very real chance that any studio that tried to go rogue and go all proprietary on everyone would be up shits creek.

Javen on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Javen wrote: »
    Yeah

It's pretty much exactly 'Hulu, on your tv, but you pay for it'

I mean, I did have to pay to get Hulu on my TV, but it was a one time cost for Playon, and I get to watch everything on Hulu plus extra if I want to bother with other channels.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I think I got my new job because I'm a minority. I don't know how I feel about that.

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    That means you have to crack _____ people jokes at work constantly.

Samir Duran Duran on
  • Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    This thread and the new comic thread share a common idea, because the Netflix thing is BAAAAALLLLLS.

LTM on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Pooro's minor nuisance is apparently people having minor nuisances in the minor nuisance thread.

That and white people

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Well of our department of 20 (all of which are hired within the past 6 months), there are 16 minorities and 11 women.

Now if minorities naturally beat out Caucasian candidates, then I'm all for it. Then again, 80% minorities and 55% women seems unnaturally high.

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I liked my wiener joke.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    Well of our department of 20 (all of which are hired within the past 6 months), there are 16 minorities and 11 women.

Now if minorities naturally beat out Caucasian candidates, then I'm all for it. Then again, 80% minorities and 55% women seems unnaturally high.
    I'm not sure about the minorities part, but unless you're doing manual labor, I don't see a problem with a slight majority of employees being women

(well I mean I don't see a problem with it even in manual labor, just that it would in fact be incredibly odd to have over 50% women doing that)

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    It's to foster departmental cohesion, since now you can all reminisce about white male oppression.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Are you doing science

Because that's normal

YoSoyTheWalrus on
    tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I once worked at a large company and in my department of like over a hundred people there were maybe three or four white males in the entire building.

We should have formed a club or something.

A lot of women worked there and foreign contractors.

I am using "foreign" as a politically correct term for "guys from india"

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Bedigunz wrote: »

What do you do?

Samir Duran Duran on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    The women thing is surprising given the fact that my industry is dominated by males (accounting). Clearly I'm okay with minorities being hired and whatnot, I just don't know if I feel good about the fact I potentially edged out a white candidate because I was born with an awesome skin tone

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Bedi your sincere display of concern for white male accountants is admirable.

White male accountants, for far too long in this world, have been oppressed and subjugated by "the man".

I personally look forward to the day when they rise up as a people, and slip the bonds of racism and poverty.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Accountants?

Asian joke.

Samir Duran Duran on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2011
    Bedi your sincere display of concern for white male accountants is admirable.

White male accountants, for far too long in this world, have been oppressed and subjugated by "the man".

I personally look forward to the day when they rise up as a people, and slip the bonds of racism and poverty.

We're working on it, okay? We have to finish up this cost/benefit analysis first.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB