Options

Netflix Price Raises and other Minor Nuisances

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Druhim wrote: »
    I'm wondering if studios will ignorantly try to take more direct control of such a revenue stream by trying to muscle out Netflix through charging ridiculous licensing fees and then trying to introduce their own, proprietary streaming services that only offer access to their films. That would really suck, but looking at how badly the recording industry has handled digital distribution of music I would expect the film industry to completely cock it up also.

Video game publishers are starting to do this, so that's enough of a reason to see movie studios doing the sale thing. Hopefully if it bombs for the individual oubliette though, that'll scare off other mediums from trying to do the same thing.

Javen on
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Have they said this?

Slider on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2011
    JoeUser wrote: »
    JoeUser wrote: »
    darklite_x wrote: »
    I'm wondering if studios will ignorantly try to take more direct control of such a revenue stream by trying to muscle out Netflix through charging ridiculous licensing fees and then trying to introduce their own, proprietary streaming services that only offer access to their films. That would really suck, but looking at how badly the recording industry has handled digital distribution of music I would expect the film industry to completely cock it up also.
    I don't think we'd be out of line by starting a pool to guess when the studios will start doing this.

I find it weird that they're selling Hulu, though, since that's really what this is: a distribution system owned by studios.

That's a good example, because Hulu+ is fucking bullshit. I tried it out thinking it would be great to watch Hulu through the 360, except almost every show I wanted to watch was WEB ONLY even though I was on Hulu+. This is why studios will fuck this up. Because they don't know what the fuck.

Really? That's bizarre, web only? Netflix gets bonus points for being installed as an application on my TV.

Yeah, it makes no damn sense. You want me to pay for a subscription so that I can actually watch less content than I could on my computer for free? Brilliant!

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Javen wrote: »

Video game publishers are starting to do this, so that's enough of a reason to see movie studios doing the sale thing. Hopefully if it bombs for the individual oubliette though, that'll scare off other mediums from trying to do the same thing.

But Games for Windows Live is the best!

JoeUser on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    GfWL gave me HIV

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    GfWL gave me HIV

OMG

Javen on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Doesn't Hulu+ have commercials too

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2011
    Doesn't Hulu+ have commercials too

Yup.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Yeah

It's pretty much exactly 'Hulu, on your tv, but you pay for it'

Javen on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm so bummed I never watched the Kurosawa criterion stuff on netflix instant before they yanked it to put on Hulu+

Though they were in my queue for over a year so I have no one to blame but myself

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    rhylith wrote: »
    The only way they can do that is to work together and make their own service with every major studio involved, which is basically just another Netflix. There's no way people will sign up for multiple services with individual studios.

http://store.origin.com/

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    nurggh

looking at more apartments today

someone has to physically stop me from getting the expensive ass one with the back yard or I'll continue to be poor

Raneados on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    but if you have a backyard you can grow your own food and save money on groceries to justify the expense

if you are a gardener, that is.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The only way they can do that is to work together and make their own service with every major studio involved, which is basically just another Netflix. There's no way people will sign up for multiple services with individual studios.

This is different though, because it offers permanent single purchases at the same price as any other major retailer. If it was EA's answer to Gamefly, but only including EA games, I'd say you were right in your comparison.

rhylith on
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I gotta say

As somebody who is allergic to cats

If I rented an apartment that turned out to have been home to a stealth cat that the previous tenant was hiding from their landlord like Anne Frank

I would be pretty pissed.

DivideByZero on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, after he buys the plants he wants to grow and the fertilizer and other various tools and equipment he'll want to help with gardening..

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    but if you have a backyard you can grow your own food and save money on groceries to justify the expense

if you are a gardener, that is.

i would LOVE to garden, but it still might be JUST too much

about 720 rent alone, so 90 for electricity, 20 for water, 10 other utilities, plus other fees for move in

looking at about 850 ish monthly, which is just too much

the back yard is no joke like 100 feet by 100 feet, I could have a goddamn FARM out there

it's definitely worth it for the price, it's just that the price is too much

definitely keeping them in mind when I get a better job

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    okay drink your own pee and wash everything in your pee and you save $20 right there

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    brb making a stillsuit

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    and use the poop for fertilizer

bam

freakish light on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

This is different though, because it offers permanent single purchases at the same price as any other major retailer. If it was EA's answer to Gamefly, but only including EA games, I'd say you were right in your comparison.

I think you're missing the bigger picture w/r/t digital distribution platforms if you think that stand alone content and one-time purchases are the thrust of the model.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    and use the poop for fertilizer

bam

you got yourself a stew goin?

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Speaking of GameFly, it is pretty awesome you guys. I have used it for over 3 years and played tons of games I wouldn't have otherwise.

Strangely enough I have never used Netflix.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    if you walk without rhythm, you won't attract the worm

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    fear is the mind killer

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    man apartments are way more expensive than they were 2 years back when i last looked :<

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited July 2011

I think you're missing the bigger picture w/r/t digital distribution platforms if you think that stand alone content and one-time purchases are the thrust of the model.

Nah I get the bigger picture: they want to cut out the middle man from their distribution and keep that sweet sweet cash to themselves. Problem is that middle man provides the flexibility and content variety required to be a mass market success. The only way the studios can one-up Netflix is to make their own middle-man together with more favorable licensing terms and put more content on it at a competitive price. They're too dumb to do this though.

rhylith on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Raneados wrote: »
    man apartments are way more expensive than they were 2 years back when i last looked :<

Everyone's renting instead of buying now. Apartments in my area have gone up like 30+% since I moved here in 2007.

rhylith on
  • Options
    edited July 2011

Nah I get the bigger picture: they want to cut out the middle man from their distribution and keep that sweet sweet cash to themselves. Problem is that middle man provides the flexibility and content variety required to be a mass market success. The only way the studios can one-up Netflix is to make their own middle-man together with more favorable licensing terms and put more content on it at a competitive price. They're too dumb to do this though.

Wrong. All they need to do (if they want to) is make their content prohibitively expensive to Netflix.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I think if companies try to take such ownership of product on the internet "This is our shit, we own it, and if you want to get it, you can go through us and no one else" they will ultimately be rejected. Trying to set up distinct media storefronts on the internet seems like kind of a bad idea, because people just don't view the internet like that.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    And then what? Do you really think that people will subscribe to individual movie streaming services with Fox, Universal, Paramount, Warner, Disney, MGM, Sony, etc. each for like 5-10 bucks so they can have a service comparable to Netflix? Hell no they won't. There's no way it will succeed.

rhylith on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011

It's because a lot of people are getting kicked out of their houses and driving the rental market up.

I just finished my apartment search, and there is nothing else near where I live.

So I am moving to St. Pete next month, where they overbuilt everything before the real estate crash. (The only other real option was Channelside and I will be dead before I live in Channelside)

But, if I may, if you found an apartment in Tampa with a yard and it's NOT on Bearss and Nebraska, then that is at least worth thinking about.

Where is it?

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Jasconius wrote: »

It's because a lot of people are getting kicked out of their houses and driving the rental market up.

I just finished my apartment search, and there is nothing else near where I live.

So I am moving to St. Pete next month, where they overbuilt everything before the real estate crash.

But, if I may, if you found an apartment in Tampa with a yard and it's NOT on Bearss and Nebraska, then that is at least worth thinking about.

Where is it?

much closer to the university

I have a couple of "i'll settle for this" options good to go, but I'm gonna look some more, still got a while before I move out

ps guess who's helping me move

(it's you!)

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    hahha speak of the devil, I just got a call from one of the ones I looked at asking me if I'd made a decision on if I was moving in with them

I quoted them as wanting to move in in mid august

I picked up the application to look over it yesterday

they gave me one day before they called me asking if I had decided

hahaha whattt no i haven't decided to spend thousands of dollars on your apartment complex in less than a DAY

let's see if I can haggle these motherfuckers, that reeks of desperation

Raneados on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    you know what kind of room you should rent?

an underwater bedroom oh em gee!

ConradMaldivesRangaliIsland2.jpeg

like i would kill a dude to be able to live there year round

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    And then what? Do you really think that people will subscribe to individual movie streaming services with Fox, Universal, Paramount, Warner, Disney, MGM, Sony, etc. each for like 5-10 bucks so they can have a service comparable to Netflix? Hell no they won't. There's no way it will succeed.

Hell if I could even tell you what studio produced any given movie I feel like watching at any given moment. I can't see anyone getting excited about "man I really wanna watch me some Sony movies online, how much for that? SOLD!!"

DivideByZero on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    what a shitty bedroom, just got a bed in it

Raneados on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Jasconius wrote: »

So I am moving to St. Pete next month, where they overbuilt everything before the real estate crash.

Where is it?

much closer to the university

I have a couple of "i'll settle for this" options good to go, but I'm gonna look some more, still got a while before I move out

ps guess who's helping me move

(it's you!)

I accept.

I meant to add "for only 700" to the above. When I was living on Hillsborough/Memorial my less than stellar 1 bedroom there was more than 800. USF is located so oddly that it's hard to find something in the middle.

Have you looked right on the corner on Bearrs and Bruce B Downs? There are one or two college-related apartments there that seem decent, at least nicer than what's on Fletcher.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2011
    We recently moved into a different apartment. It's larger, has one more bathroom, and costs less than our previous place. The community is quieter and seems more friendly so far, and the apartment covers water/sewer/garbage costs.

We're still south of Seattle and want to move closer eventually, but this place is saving us a lot of money due to the lower rent AND electricity being the only utility cost we have to pay. We'll be able to pay down more debt and save money much faster.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    just move to campus lodge jasc (never do that holy crap that place is terrible)

crwth on
    EzUAYcn.png