Options

[Wisconsin] didn't mess it up for once

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I've put in at least an hour of volunteering to get walker recalled for every doomsaying post of mine in this thread :D

Interacting with other democrats who are pumped to remove him has made me more optimistic, sometimes I feel all alone because what good friends I'm still in touch with live in other states and don't care about it at all, and my friends around here aren't good enough buds to listen to me rant about politics without providing free liquor.

override367 on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Sometimes I think we need a Wisconsin PA get together. At the very least it would be an awesome drinking experience

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Technically, I'm Minnesotan. I only grew up in Wisconsin.

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Maybe Feingold is disillusioned with politics. I wouldn't exactly blame him.

Also... something like MidPAX? ChiPAX? MinniPAX? That'd be neat.

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Also... something like MidPAX? ChiPAX? MinniPAX? That'd be neat.

PackerPAX?

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    CheezPax.

• Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    GoPAXGo?

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    MooPAX?

MilPAX?

MadPAX?

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    You guys mean PAC? PAX is the gathering Penny Arcade people go to.

The Green Bay PAC is a good one, though.

• Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    There can ever only be one definitive PAC, and that would be the international man of mystery known simply as...

... 2PAC.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    SparserLogicSparserLogic Registered User regular
    Just heard about this: http://www.npr.org/2012/05/11/152520957/wis-justices-deadlocked-over-chokehold-allegation on NPR and couldn't believe what I was hearing.

Has this already been discussed here? Its simply shocking to see the state supreme court split down party lines regarding an *assault* of all things. Do they have no moral compass whatsoever?

• Options
    You guys mean PAC? PAX is the gathering Penny Arcade people go to.

The Green Bay PAC is a good one, though.

I was originally referencing the post by @VeeVee regarding a PA meetup, hence the discussion of the -PAX name.

@SparserLogic - I am not at all surprised to see the WI Supreme Court split along political lines like this. Prosser is a very polarizing figure and while I don't like the guy, I think his complaint about a lack of impartiality has merit. These justices witnessed a fight between their peers over an issue which literally occupied their place of work for weeks. How can they be impartial? Clearly they need to, ya know, follow the law and do what Walter Dickey (the law professor NPR spoke with) suggests: temporarily appoint Appellate judges to handle this disciplinary case.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

Ahahaahahah! Holeeeey shit. Okay! Anyone wanna start a pool to see how many people believe in such a blatant cooking of the numbers?

• Options
    Fallout2manFallout2man Vault Dweller Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Ahahaahahah! Holeeeey shit. Okay! Anyone wanna start a pool to see how many people believe in such a blatant cooking of the numbers?

I put my bet down for at least 27% of them, possibly more but no less. ;)

Fallout2man on
    On Ignorance:
    Kana wrote:
    If the best you can come up with against someone who's patently ignorant is to yell back at him, "Yeah? Well there's BOOKS, and they say you're WRONG!"

Then honestly you're not coming out of this looking great either.
  • Options
    dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular

Only people ARE stupid enough to believe those job numbers.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Has there been any polling lately? Given the vote is only 3 weeks away, I'm interested to see how things are going.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Barrett is steadily 5-10 points behind Walker, and the national party doesn't really seem interested in helping besides the occasional Wisconsin fundraiser. No endorsements, no campaigning, no high-dollar dinners.

• Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    Barrett is steadily 5-10 points behind Walker, and the national party doesn't really seem interested in helping besides the occasional Wisconsin fundraiser. No endorsements, no campaigning, no high-dollar dinners.

Is there a reason for that? It seems like the perfect opportunity to strike a blow against the great amount of the success Republicans have been having at the state level.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    enc0re wrote: »

Is there a reason for that? It seems like the perfect opportunity to strike a blow against the great amount of the success Republicans have been having at the state level.

National Democrats are morons and don't notice that state governments have a ton of power?

I think this might actually be the reason, and it's concerning.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I like to think politics is too professional these days for the explanation to be that simple. The ability of state governments to control whether employees can effectively form unions (right to work) alone would make it very valuable and important to vie for power at that level. IMHO organized labor is the financial backbone of the party. You can't risk that.

enc0re on
  • Options
    Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Barrett isn't going to win. We all know it. You imbeciles picked the one guy who could lose to such a corrupt asshole. The national Dems never help out locally. They don't seem to get that the reason Pubs are so strong is they take victory where they can and work on places they can't down until they do eventually vote for them. Dems just give up states. How fitting. I can't wait to see the suffering and gnashing of teeth.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Barrett isn't going to win. We all know it. You imbeciles picked the one guy who could lose to such a corrupt asshole. The national Dems never help out locally. They don't seem to get that the reason Pubs are so strong is they take victory where they can and work on places they can't down until they do eventually vote for them. Dems just give up states. How fitting. I can't wait to see the suffering and gnashing of teeth.

I don't think the others would be more electable than Barrett, I'd be curious for you to show your work on that

The problem isn't Barrett, he's running a fine campaign (targetting Walker's corruptness and assholishness), and every piece of news that comes out of the Walker camp should be a campaign killer for Walker. The thing is, Walker has fucking 5X7' signs up ALL OVER THE STATE, every radio and tv station and youtube is fucking littered with pro-walker ads

He's got like forty times as much money as Barrett, this is Democracy being bought right here.

Also it'd be great if you could check that attitude at the fucking door

I put my bet down for at least 27% of them, possibly more but no less. ;)

From the polls, somewhere between 55 and 60% of them

override367 on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Sounds like Barrett needs a Colbert Bump.

I wonder if Stephen could be persuaded to aim any of that Super PAC money at reminding that 55-60% that Walker is a complete and total shit bag.

How the hell is he doing so well? I live in Florida with my own shitty Governor and I still haven't managed to forget how much Walker sucks.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    Out of curiosity, are there going to be any debates or similar head-to-head meetups between these two?

I think that would go a long way in Barrett's favor, no? A chance to push Walker directly for answers to his bullshit?

• Options
    edited May 2012

I wonder if Stephen could be persuaded to aim any of that Super PAC money at reminding that 55-60% that Walker is a complete and total shit bag.

How the hell is he doing so well? I live in Florida with my own shitty Governor and I still haven't managed to forget how much Walker sucks.

Massive misdirection campaign and ball of lies, not enough people who have been hit yet by his budget (which will kick the education sector in the fucking teeth June 1st)

I saw a really good ad about the 15 (?) former walker staffers who've gone to jail. I think if that could get more eyes on it it might help things. Combine that with Walkers entirely illegal legal defense fund he compiled from campaign finances and he'd probably be finished. The most frustrating thing is, the truth is on our side. This isn't some wishy washy hard to fit in sound bite form fight, this is our fight. The problem is, we're desperately telling anyone who will listen while Walker broadcasts his message from a blimp and has "STAND WITH WALKER" etched into the moon

We need the Democratic Party on this, because Walker has the support of the entire national Republican campaign finance structure. We need the DNC, we need Obama, we need national union support, and we aren't getting it.

override367 on
  • Options
    The national Dems will pay for it in the long run. Somehow, the thought doesn't comfort me much.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

Massive misdirection campaign and ball of lies, not enough people who have been hit yet by his budget (which will kick the education sector in the fucking teeth June 1st)

I saw a really good ad about the 15 (?) former walker staffers who've gone to jail. I think if that could get more eyes on it it might help things. Combine that with Walkers entirely illegal legal defense fund he compiled from campaign finances and he'd probably be finished. The most frustrating thing is, the truth is on our side. This isn't some wishy washy hard to fit in sound bite form fight, this is our fight. The problem is, we're desperately telling anyone who will listen while Walker broadcasts his message from a blimp and has "STAND WITH WALKER" etched into the moon

We need the Democratic Party on this, because Walker has the support of the entire national Republican campaign finance structure. We need the DNC, we need Obama, we need national union support, and we aren't getting it.

I am surprised at the lack of support, espescially with Obama ramping up campaigning. Walker is literally evil. He's the worst governor in modern history, and noone would defend him if Obama attacked. He really should have been on the ground attacking Walker as a delightfully incompetent strawman for Romney. I guess the problem is that Walker is ahead, and noone seems willing to take the risk to change the momentum of things.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    He isn't the worst governor in modern history. He's bad, for sure, but there are at least a dozen worse governors than him. He's just the worst modern Wisconsin governor, usually his ilk come out of states that have already failed and would be third world country standards if not for the federal government keeping them on life support

You know what I really want out of Walker? Just some fucking humility and admission that he's being super duper partisan.

Some "hey guys this recall has taught me that I've seriously offended half the citizens of this state, and I look forward to improving relations and moving on", even if he didn't mean it. Instead he's going to do a victory lap and talk about how great he is. The shitheels voting for him are going to do the same thing, and Wisconsin will become even more bitterly divided.

override367 on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    You do realize that if the recall is successful they will immediately do the same thing to the democrat who replaced him? Whenever the time limit is up of course.

I still want to see it happen, Walker isn't worthy of the office.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    No, there will be no second recall, because the office itself will be up in two years, which is the required time before a recall can happen anyway.

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Ah so its a true special election and not 4 more years, ok.

Well good then, this guy needs to go out and campaign more.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    It infuriates me that people are now bitching about private unions in Wisconsin, they're so well programmed by fox

Who the hell looks at the south and says "hey, that looks good"

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/151780195.html
    MADISON- The Democratic Party of Wisconsin is filing a complaint with the Government Accountability Board, that is also being forwarded to the Dane County district attorney, about the new TV and radio advertisements that Governor Walker released just hours after a new jobs report.

Democratic party spokesperson Graeme Zielinski told Newsradio 620 WTMJ, "For (Governor Walker) to have just plopped an ad out right after he announces (the new job numbers) shows that his campaign was working with state resources to create this ad."

Zielinski said that radio and TV advertisements are made days in advance and it's not believable for the governor's campaign to create and release new advertisements hours after the new jobs report.

According to party spokesperson Graeme Zielinski, "We allege that he (Governor Walker) has coordinated illegally with the Department of Workforce Development. He must have known about the numbers days if not more, before."

Democrats think the new numbers are wrong, and they think a state employee released them early to boost the governor's campaign.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    It infuriates me that people are now bitching about private unions in Wisconsin, they're so well programmed by fox

Who the hell looks at the south and says "hey, that looks good"

People from the south. And old people.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    What did the jobs report show? Because with direction Wisconsin has been going, I'm not sure I'd believe anything that was worth putting in a pro-Walker ad, either.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    What did the jobs report show? Because with direction Wisconsin has been going, I'm not sure I'd believe anything that was worth putting in a pro-Walker ad, either.

I'm guessing it has to do with the forbes article Hedgie linked upthread.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Walker is using different numbers now.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »

I'm guessing it has to do with the forbes article Hedgie linked upthread.

I guess I missed that.

And after reading that article: :rotate:

Prediction: If Walker wins the recall, by the end of summer WI will have an 'emergency management' law like Michigan. And I bet I can predict which counties are under it based on election results.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    He isn't the worst governor in modern history. He's bad, for sure, but there are at least a dozen worse governors than him. He's just the worst modern Wisconsin governor, usually his ilk come out of states that have already failed and would be third world country standards if not for the federal government keeping them on life support

You know what I really want out of Walker? Just some fucking humility and admission that he's being super duper partisan.

Some "hey guys this recall has taught me that I've seriously offended half the citizens of this state, and I look forward to improving relations and moving on", even if he didn't mean it. Instead he's going to do a victory lap and talk about how great he is. The shitheels voting for him are going to do the same thing, and Wisconsin will become even more bitterly divided.

If he said that anything he had done was divisive, it would require him to admit that what he is doing is not perfect, and Republicans will only tolerate perfection. Anything that deviates from that, and acknowledges it, has to be destroyed. If he said,

"I plan to consider my position more carefully, and act in a way which is more inclusive and represents more accurately the views of all of Wisconsin and not just those who have been good enough to support me. I understand that it is my role to move us gradually onto the right course, and that excessive changes, even if for the better, can do more harm than good"

Then he'd win the recall easily, but be primaried by his own party and replaced with someone even worse.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln