As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dungeons of Dredmor: Conquest of the Wizardlands now available!

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Good Lord. I just received a Floor 8 Monster Zoo reward that's perfect for a mage. Boosts Magic Power by 6, Armored to the gills (5 general, 5 piercing) and about 4 different element resists. Jeebus. He's a Golem/Flesh build, so it works quite nicely. I also didn't get a Horadric Lutefisk Cube until Floor 8. :-P

The Lutefish Shrine appears to have changed. It's no longer a 1% per Lutefisk tithed chance to get an item... it's something more like the 200 range now to get an item. It may be escalating Lutefisk numbers per shrine used, or it may simply take double the Lutefisk to get 100% item drops.

EDIT: Egads. According to the developer, it's now 500 Lutefisk for 100%, with a bonus attribute every 125 Lutefisk tithed.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    So yeah, don't eat a Root of T'Char unless you hate that roll.

"1 health? not really worth the 1405 but whatever.

Oh dire empowerment? I guess that's okay, still not worth it tho....why did I just randomly teleport?

Now I exploded, what the hell...oh...oh :(

Oh god it keeps sending me back to the fud machine where I got it!

This roll was going so well too! :x "

Congratulations you have died!

• Options
    Quake MattQuake Matt Registered User regular
    Dare you question the will of the Lutefisk God?

Bit of a shame the fireball was nerfed. My last character was a promethian/unarmed adventurer that burnt/kicked everything really well (until he got killed by a trap on level 10) and I wanted to try that again. Ah, well, at least I can try a proper warrior now.

• Options
    Well that's interesting, seems if you drink a dire empowerment potion and eat a fell truffle you get infinite dire empowerment.

• Options
    I beat Normal/Permadeath with Golem/Flesh. Flesh wasn't all that awesome. I never used the self-heal or meatshield, and really only got use out of Fleshbore (which is a pretty useful DoT that kills most things in one or two castings all the way up to Floor 8) and Miasmatic Putrefaction (which was only used for Monster Zoos, and didn't help all that much because it doesn't do damage unless an enemy moves in it). I easily could have substituted pretty much any other direct damage spell school, since Fleshbore is duplicated as a similar spell in most of the other schools.

Golem, on the other hand, was awesome throughout. Unliving Wall creates effective barricades (and can be used as direct damage in a pinch). It also allows you to get out-of-reach items by displacing them, moving them to a reachable square. The Mustache, followed by the Robot, were both effective pets, with the Mustache clearing out floors 1-3 and the Robot handling things (with support) on all floors afterwards. Invive Thaumite Swarm was a great boss killer and great Monster Zoo cleaner (since it basically never goes away due to the close proximity of enemies). The Digging Ray is the best thing since sliced bread. After I got Digging Ray, I never had to kick a locked door or take a long and dangerous detour ever again.

Alchemy, even with the most recent nerfs, is something I consider almost essential for playing an effective Mage. I would sink points into whatever bread and butter skill that I needed, then sink everything else into Alchemy. It allows you to craft a lot of great early gear, like Stellar Orbs and the Fruitful Staff, and keeps you supplied in Health, Mana, and Replenishment potions for the entire game.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Yeah I'd say Melee builds are viable now. This is on Going Rogue with Permadeath, almost all my stuff is blessed except my flail which just keeps getting shit on. Floors 4 and 7 been the troublesome ones, maxed smithing right away. Got that new clockwork limb and crossbow in that very room. :D

Maces-Shields-Mastery of Arms-Burglary-Assassination-Smithing-Archeology

meleehn.png

• Options
    "Ultra Guy Man"?

I'm thinking of just going back to randomised skills for a bit, otherwise I'll end up never using half of them.

• Options
    Don't make fun of Ultra Guy Mans name.

His journey just came to an end with an utterence of "well, FUCK." Final Score of 716764, died at the hands of Lord Dredmor. I would've killed him if he hadn't of blinded me completely.

wellg.png

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Ultra Guy Man is a perfectly reasonable name.

Nice job SkutSkut.

• Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    My best run yet. Melee: Sword/Dual wield/berserk/armor/alchemy/burglary/archeology.

RIP.

lt4Ke.jpg

Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    Should i finish the game with permadeath off? It kinda feels like cheating, even though i barely ever die. (vamp and melee is boss)

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I waited until the patch to hit to start playing again. Pyro tree is a big meh now, but Mathemagic is untouched, and upon checking the numbers, Recursive Curse is totally ridicilous. Like, 1 cast will kill Dredmor in 8 rounds ridicilous, nothing can survive it. And to top it off, the skill before it is teleport. The combo is unbeatable.
    So 1 pet tree (because you can't support recursive until you get your mana regen rolling, which will take loot and levels, and pets are great on early levels), all magic boosting trees, 1 tree to help a bit with traps (I still use archeology, being able to reroll magic items is still good, especially if you don't care much about negative stats since you aren't going to be touched), and Mathemagic and you will have no challenge whatsoever.

Big Hint: The + / - key on your keybar (not numpad) speed up / slow up animations. This is vital if you do not want to die of boredom watching your pet duke it out with monsters while you regen mana slowly in a corner.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Yeah I realized Mathemagic was incredibly powerful when I had it paired with Prom. I honestly used Golden Ratio to kill more monsters than Obvious Fireball, which was mostly on Zoos. Plus the last skill, the buff, is silly useful once you have mana regen to support it.

Golden Ratio not only kills enemies well - so long as you have a pet to distract them - but makes you rich beyond your wildest dreams - allowing you to buy any bolts of squid to replace the nerfed Fireball for clearing Zoos.

• Options
    Mathemagic has the problem of being a single target tree though. Whereas prenerf fireball was a castable mini bolt of destruction.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    SkutSkut wrote:
    Mathemagic has the problem of being a single target tree though. Whereas prenerf fireball was a castable mini bolt of destruction.

Not that big a problem though, so long as you have a pet. My drake was doing just fine - even on deeper floors - tanking aggro while I got Golden Ratio or Recursive on everyone. Add in the directed teleport to keep distance while they die and your set for just about anything. Zoos can still be a challenge, but by the later floors you'll have enough gold to have PLENTY of Bolts of Squid/Destruction.

Really, the problem with Mage Builds - prepatch, I haven't played since - is that enemy ranged attacks tend to be rather weak. The moment you get directed teleport there's very little reason to be in melee range, ever, and that makes things alot easier. Keep a few Potions of Purity on hand in case you get blinded - thus preventing teleportation - and you're set.

Even Dredmor's ranged spells weren't that powerful - and he's supposed to be a wizard! If he's casting Recursive Curse on ME? That'd be scary.

Edit: @Hahnsoo1 has it right. Replace Prom with Golemmancy, and your in the clear. Plenty of pets to tank with and Thaumite does alot of the Zoo clearing instead of Nerfball.

I'd probably roll out Mathemagic, Golemancey, Blood Magic, Alchemy (though I hear it's been nerfed too - don't know the details), Archaeology, Burglary/Perception, and - oh say - Leylines just in case you have bad item luck, and you can handle just about anything. The earlier levels will be tougher than the prepatch Prom build, but once you get deep enough it should be incredibly effective.

APODionysus on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    There are more ranged attacks now. On l2-4 they were something to keep notice of, after that my build is just overpowering before they become worrisome. I'm now on l7, cleared about half of it, and the only damage I've taken this level is throwing a fireball on my pet by accident. ZenZenZen adds enough magic power to bring back fireballs for zoos.
    One thing that adds to the sillyness, an additional 'unintended feature': Magic Crit and Sneakyness come from the same primary stat, Caddishness. This stat gets raised every level with mage levelling. This means monsters do not see me until they get hit by my spells.

The game seems to be eminently breakable. Which quite a few roguelikes are, though this one seems pretty vulnerable as they go. It needs a few iterations of balancing, though there's always a trade-off between 'cool and unique abilities' and balance, especially in a game that uses combinations of skilltrees.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    SanderJK wrote:
    There are more ranged attacks now. On l2-4 they were something to keep notice of, after that my build is just overpowering before they become worrisome. I'm now on l7, cleared about half of it, and the only damage I've taken this level is throwing a fireball on my pet by accident. ZenZenZen adds enough magic power to bring back fireballs for zoos.
    One thing that adds to the sillyness, an additional 'unintended feature': Magic Crit and Sneakyness come from the same primary stat, Caddishness. This stat gets raised every level with mage levelling. This means monsters do not see me until they get hit by my spells.

The game seems to be eminently breakable. Which quite a few roguelikes are, though this one seems pretty vulnerable as they go. It needs a few iterations of balancing, though there's always a trade-off between 'cool and unique abilities' and balance, especially in a game that uses combinations of skilltrees.

Yeah. ZenZenZen is nuts if you have the mana regen to support it.

From what the Devs have said now that this huge patch is out, they want to move to smaller, more frequent patches. I'm planning on taking a Terraria approach to this game, leaving it lie for two or three patches before jumping back in.

Otherwise I'd never play anything else.

• Options
    I'd probably roll out Mathemagic, Golemancey, Blood Magic, Alchemy (though I hear it's been nerfed too - don't know the details), Archaeology, Burglary/Perception, and - oh say - Leylines just in case you have bad item luck, and you can handle just about anything. The earlier levels will be tougher than the prepatch Prom build, but once you get deep enough it should be incredibly effective.
    Alchemy was only slightly nerfed. You get less potions/booze now. The maximum you could multiply any booze is 2 by the end point (and most of the fruit based ones don't multiply), and the maximum amount of potions you can craft from base parts is 2. It "feels" right to me, now, instead of the constant flood of endless booze that it was before. It is still pretty necessary, I think, for a mage build. Honestly, I think Perception is pretty weak compared to Tinkering in terms of dealing with Traps. Tinkering gets 1 point or more of Trap Affinity per level and has the side effect of allowing you to craft a butt-ton of effective bolts... not much of an issue for a mage, but the Trap affinity is nice. Burglary is only useful for the free lockpicks, and they aren't necessary to complete the game. The extra XP from picking locks is nice, I guess.

I just did a Math/Golem/Blood/Magic Training/Archeology/Tinkering/Alchemy run. Died at Lord Dredmor because I didn't teleport out (I got greedy). It pretty much steamrolls everything in its path. One point for the Mustache Golem, then Max out Alchemy first, craft a pair of Stellar Orbs, some Magic Sandals, a Steeled Robe, possibly a Fruitful Staff and/or The Jingly Jangly Staff. That should take up to Floor 2 to accomplish at most. You can safely put the rest of your points into one point of Blood Magic and the rest in Mathemagics. Once you get Recursive Curse, you can one-cast everything until Floor 10.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Oh, hey. They changed their forums to something that doesn't suck. Also, here's the roadmap for their future patches, as well as talk of an expansion:
    I've been directed to post some interesting stuff on the forums about what we're doing next, in order to get as many new people using them as we can. So that said, here's the plan going forwards, courtesy of today's company meeting. (Which did, in fact, involve swords.)

- 1.0.6: Linux support and a handful of the more interesting things that need to be fixed. I'd like to get this to the beta testers by Monday. I'd like to do it earlier, but the first part of the week is consumed by rubbish Real Life Stuff. So we'll see what happens.

- 1.0.7: More fixes, and the introduction of a Super Secret Thing that we've... well, I may have talked about it before, and I wanted it to get in for the original game, but I didn't. So I think we'll put it in for 1.0.7. Again, I'd like a turnaround of about a week, a week and a half.

- 1.0.8: If necessary, more fixes. This patch may not exist, depending on where we set our cutoffs for 1.0.6 and 1.0.7. Hopefully, we get the female character in by this point.

- 1.1.0: Mod support, including bumping all the strings out of the EXE and into an XML file for the usage of various translation teams. (We have a *really* cool translation announcement coming up later this week, by the way.)

and then various support patches for 1.1.0 moving forward.

There is also the little matter of an expansion pack. Gaslamp as a company - and myself, personally - are universally opposed to charging you for things that should be in the core game. We're committed to fixing every single one of the one hundred and forty-nine issues in the bugtracker for Dredmor, and we will keep adding more Stuff to the core game every time we send out a patch, so that you always get a little something extra.

We don't want to try to sell you 99 cent horse armour, either. That's just... lame.

That said, people have actually *asked* us for an expansion pack, so we have to make one. We think we have a concept for an expansion pack that does justify being spun off to a paid expansion, as opposed to being Horse Armour or Eyebrow Wigs or whatever, and we will be moving on this front as soon as we are happy with the state of the core game. (That is to say, Not Yet. Not For A Long Time Yet.) In typical Gaslamp fashion, said expansion pack will probably be about the price of a package of potato chips. Crawl players will like it. It also won't be anything you couldn't put in yourself with the mod support, so in effect we will be putting up an Officially Sanctioned Mod and inviting you to buy it from us. I think this is a reasonable policy. I have no idea when this will be done, either. If I had to pull an estimate out of my posterior, I would guess six months or so. It'll mainly be frontloading on the art side and less on the code side, and will be something that the company will collectively move on after 1.1.0.

There should also be an announcement about Merch in a few weeks. Buy Merch. BUY MERCH.

So that's the roadmap going forwards. Questions? Comments? Let us know! That's what we're here for.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Sounds good to me! Ideally, I'd like to see some new monsters, and a kind of quick-start mode (say, begin at lvl 5) would be appreciated, too. Not sure if the latter's on the cards, though.

One way or the other, the mods are going to be awesome.

Quake Matt on
  • Options
    Free Giraffe Rides!!!Free Giraffe Rides!!! Registered User regular
    Aw, things were going pretty well, and then an enemy robot attacked me in a shop and set off the shopkeeper with his AoE attack, leading to me getting surrounded and torn to bits by demonic collectors. That seemed kinda unfair, even by roguelike standards.

• Options
    hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    No fighting around or near shop. Happened to me once as well, i could tank the shopkeeper for a while until my enrage ran out :(

• Options
    Damn I get to level 9 out of food and get counterkilled by a Big Red.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Finally finished my Going Rogue/Permadeath run and defeated Lord Dredmor. Huzzah! I was running a Golem/Math/Alchemy/Blood/Ley/Magic Training/Archeology build. Put one point into Golem, then the rest into Alchemy at the start. The most difficult part is surviving just long enough to get the Mustache Golem, and then after that, it was pretty easy. The Mustache Golem and the Jingly Jangly Staff were basically my only two weapons for the first 4 floors. The rest of the levels were poured into Math. At around floor 4 or 5, I got Recursive Curse in Math. Then it became "stand next to a door, drink a booze, cast Zenzizenzizenzic 3 times, open the door, then go to town with cheap Recursive Curse" for every room.

If I were to do it all over again, I'd honestly go with Tinkering instead of Archeology. The Translation is All Wrong nerf basically makes archeology useless until you get the Krong altar reroll (the extra XP from It Belongs in a Museum is nice, I guess), and I was sorely missing Trap Affinity throughout that entire run. I only had 5 or 6 points of it by the end, and that wasn't nearly enough. I found that the Krong Altar enchantments really didn't help me much in that run, because the bonuses kept getting spread around in resists and stat boosts, none of which were significant enough to help me.

I did get quite a lot of good gear early in that run. I had an early Armored Mage's Robe from a shop and a Magical Sombrero by floor 3. At Floor 5, one of the shops had a ring with 2 Mana Regen, which put me at 1 Mana/Turn with dual Starry Orbs.

EDIT: Now to move onto a melee build, which should be significantly tougher. I'm thinking Axe/Dual Wield/Arms/Berserker/Assassination/Smithing/Tinkering, and going with the Clockwork Axes + Clockwork Bolt Thrower, along with a pair of Overclocked arms for rings. Basically, the "I didn't ask for this" achievement build. I might drop Berserker for Alchemy or Fungal Arts for cheap healing.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    My current run is not going very well. I'm on floor 2, and cleared the monster zoo and got no rewards, and all 3 anvils I've used have cursed my equipment.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ogcam777ogcam777 Registered User regular
    My current run is not going very well. I'm on floor 2, and cleared the monster zoo and got no rewards, and all 3 anvils I've used have cursed my equipment.

So in other words, everything is normal and you are having tons of fun?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Said "Fuck it" and rerolled, so.... yes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Squidget0Squidget0 Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    As others have said, Promethean + Mathemagic is a very solid combo if you're able to find some mana regen. Promethean falls off later now, but it's still god-mode for the first 5 levels. Once you're up to 1 mana per turn you can use ZeeZeeZee and Recursive Curse to insta-kill pretty much everything.

I'm tempted to try a melee build next, but how do people deal with equipment corruption? It seems like every other monster on the later floors can destroy your gear in melee combat, and melee characters are incredibly gear-reliant. It seems like you'd need to be fully decked out to take on an arch-diggle, let alone Dredmor.

Edit: Does anyone know how your final score is calculated? Do you want to go fast or slow?

Squidget0 on
  • Options
    nonartifact'd gear doesn't get corrupted, and score is calculated by exp you get.so technically you do go to the lowest floor where you take no damage and just farm farm farm.

• Options
    New patch came out yesterday. Details can be found here:
    http://www.gaslampgames.com/blog/2011/10/11/patch-1-0-6-is-now-live/#more-2354

Not much has changed, but here are the notes:
    FIXED: Map zoom is now saved between gameplay sessions
    FIXED: a broken room defintion that would always lead to a gargoyle trap spawning behind a food dispenser.
    FIXED: Items held in the player’s hand are no longer lost on save/load.
    FIXED: Rod charging no longer prevents priming items after use.
    FIXED: The game now realizes that you are in a shop after you load the game… and are in a shop.
    FIXED: Food vending machines now have correct tooltips.
    FIXED: Items from the ground can no longer be used as active skills.
    FIXED: Overridden equipment during the start of the character creation process will give you permanent Mystery Bonuses.
    FIXED: Monsters will now check to make sure the player isn’t standing on a corpse before they bring it back to life.
    FIXED: After you steal things from Brax, you can now use them as items.
    FIXED: The DIGEST button will now halt if you see an enemy or get attacked by one.
    FIXED: Uberchest lock state no longer resets after save and load.
    FIXED: Blink Batties now Blink. (So does Lord D.)
    FIXED: Various broken Steam achievements (Monsters with Omelettes, The Critic, anything else with a counter)
    FIXED: digging ray crash.
    FIXED: misaligned close button in Quest window.
    FIXED: Unarmed damage bonuses are no longer applied to range attacks, or thrown attacks.
    FIXED: Unskilled weapon wielding penalties no longer affect thrown, or crossbow, attacks.
    FIXED: Vandalized Dredmor Statues now save their obstruction state correctly.
    FIXED: WASD now breaks statues, lets you run into some other things and use them
    GAMEPLAY: The resistance statistic now gives you a roll to block corruption attacks.
    GAMEPLAY: Mace and Axe skill trees have been revamped and enhanced.
    GAMEPLAY: Lord Dredmor can no longer be stunned or charmed.
    GAMEPLAY: Reworked Necronomiconomics.
    GAMEPLAY: Smithing is now a Warrior archetype.
    GAMEPLAY: Sneakiness has a -20 modifier.
    GAMEPLAY: Elemental Weapons now have some Elemental Resistances. Or something.
    GAMEPLAY: Added a bunch more items, including a keytar.
    GAMEPLAY: Some crafts are now unhidden by default.
    GAMEPLAY: Added the Mosolov Cocktail! Don’t drink it all at once.
    GAMEPLAY: The 2X bottom bar is now implemented. We’ll do the rest next patch.
    COSMETIC: Monster spellcasting now shows up on the text ticker.
    COSMETIC: More minimap icons!
    INTERNAL: Hidden Fun Stuff to make it so we can turn on the mod support without breaking everybody’s save games. (That said, we have to put it in the patch before the mod support so that… well, so that it doesn’t break everybody’s save games.)
    INTERNAL: Hidden Fun Stuff, related to the Other Hidden Fun Stuff.
    LINUX: You can haz it.

Linux support = Yay!

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    A new female character is coming to Dungeons of Dredmor. And yes, she has stonkin' huge... eyebrows.

content_teaser.jpg
    fhero.gif

This would make a great forum icon for someone, if they can resize it to 80x80. :D

Also, be sure to read the mouse-over text on the blog post (linked at the beginning).

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Is that first icon in that blog post a Fleshreaper?

:shudder:

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Is the female character going to be different just cosmetically or will there be differences in skills?

• Options
    Drake wrote:

Hilariously, it's the default Batty from the game with big eyebrows. Speculation is that the Vampirism line is being expanded to include a Bat polymorph.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Oh hey. Once that update hits, I might actually start playing again...

Also, wow. That WOULD be a great avatar for anyone willing to resize it.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote:
    Drake wrote:

Hilariously, it's the default Batty from the game with big eyebrows. Speculation is that the Vampirism line is being expanded to include a Bat polymorph.

That's a relief. :D

I need to start playing this again. It swallows my days, but I love it so. Now that it's getting so much love lately I truly fear for my time though.

• Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Geez fungal arts can just be added on to any build and improve it, my mushroom-knight is clearing floors on rogue faster than I ever have before. Pets for rooms of 2-5 monsters, and when a zoo comes up I just funnel them while stacking 5+ buffs including temporary vampirism AND JUST KEEP SWINGING

keeping up with spores gets old though, I might not be using it on future adventurers

TIFunkalicious on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    So I finally started playing this game.

It's great.

Any ideas on a good skill build? I've been doing Swords, Dual Wielding, Berserker Rage, Artful Dodger, Assassination, and Archaeology.

I like all of those and I think they synergize well. I'm not sure what to choose as a seventh skill, though. I've tried Promethean Magic and Astrology but I didn't much care for them.

Is there a healing skill?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Fungal Arts would be a fantastic topper there, offering healing as well as tons of buff options. A but tedious to use, though.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    Drez wrote:
    So I finally started playing this game.

It's great.

Any ideas on a good skill build? I've been doing Swords, Dual Wielding, Berserker Rage, Artful Dodger, Assassination, and Archaeology.

I like all of those and I think they synergize well. I'm not sure what to choose as a seventh skill, though. I've tried Promethean Magic and Astrology but I didn't much care for them.

Is there a healing skill?

I havent played since the Warrior fixing update, but I'd recommend Smithing there to help you build weapons and armor. Money is very hard to come across and Brax's prices are insane.

If you really want healing, you can go Fungal Arts as JonBob said or Alchemy. Alchemy takes more investment, but is ultimately more powerful - healing potions heal you instantly rather than over turns.

If you want a touch of magic, go Mathemagics. If you can get to golden ratio, all your money problems are instantly solved and you can basically buy anything you want - making Smithing moot.