As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[THE DARK KNIGHT RISES]

jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovelsRegistered User regular
edited July 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8evyE9TuYk

THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

Official Countdown Timer!

The-Dark-Knight-Rises.jpg

The first reviews are in, and they're highly positive.

The third and final installment in the highly lucrative, highly influential, and groundbreaking superhero series from Christopher Nolan in coming July 20th.

Set 8 years after happenings in The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises shows Gotham City teetering on the edge of collapse underneath the significant weight of supervillain Bane, a highly intelligent and physically imposing criminal that appears to have been more than a match for Batman. Being dubbed the "epic conclusion to the Dark Knight legend", the film looks to be as dark and gritty as we've come to expect from Christopher Nolan's vision of Gotham.

THE CAST

The regulars Christian Bale, Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine, and Gary Oldman reprise their roles for this movie.

New cast members of note:

Tom Hardy as Bane
Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle/Catwoman
Joseph Gordon-Levitt as John Blake
Josh Pence - Young Ra's Al Ghul

jungleroomx on

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    How much does fire insurance cost in Gotham City?

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    SO WHAT ABOUT THE RIDDLER???

Seriously, I ignored the rumours for a while because it got to a "who can speculate the hardest?" contest but it seems clear that The Riddler is in this one. I'm curious what they'll do with him.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    It does? Cause Nolan specifically said it isn't.

Quid on
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    Why does it seem clear that the riddler is in this at all?

I mean, I don't read blatant spoilers but seriously I've never heard anything about the riddler outside of like, fantasy casting.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Why is it clear the Riddler's in this one?

• Options
    That poster is for "The Dark Knight Returns"...

that is not the same movie as the movie that is coming out.

• Options
    JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular
    The Riddler isn't in it at all. That is a fake fan made poster. Hell, it even has 2011 on it when it won't be out till next year. Here is the real poster for the op: http://assets.flickchart.com/blogassets/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/344099522.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Are...are you guys not seeing that poster? Am I going mad?

Edit: Wait...is that a fake poster?

Julius on
  • Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So have they said how long after TDK this takes place?

Z0re on
  • Options
    darkknight-returns-fan-poster.jpg

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    My bad, wrong link. Poster fixed to the rubble-shrouded bat logo city scape.

• Options
    In the Nolan-verse, a Riddler villain would probably play out much the same way The Joker did. There is too much grittiness in Nolan's gotham to really be able to differentiate the two.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    My bad, wrong link. Poster fixed to the rubble-shrouded bat logo city scape.

• Options
    JMan711 wrote:
    The Riddler isn't in it at all. That is a fake fan made poster. Hell, it even has 2011 on it when it won't be out till next year. Here is the real poster for the op: http://assets.flickchart.com/blogassets/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/344099522.jpg
    fuck. guess that means I won't be watching this as without the riddler it'll suck.

I admit I'm a little drunk but still. How awesome would it be with the Riddler?

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    So what about the Clock King?

• Options
    Julius wrote:
    JMan711 wrote:
    fuck. guess that means I won't be watching this as without the riddler it'll suck.

I imagine about as good as the last two.

• Options
    Julius wrote:
    JMan711 wrote:

sober up. it would not be awesome.

• Options
    Nolan isn't one to play it straight, so it's going to be interesting. It's the final film in the trilogy, so nobody is safe.

• Options
    My dream of seeing Scarface as the antagonist of a gritty Batman movie is nigh ruined.

• Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Oh man. I really don't want to see Bane
    Break the Batman

But I have a nasty feeling that given how this trilogy has gone so far, that it's going to have a bittersweet ending, at best.

Also, why is Gordon at death's door? Is that ever mentioned in the comics?

Archonex on
  • Options
    So It Goes wrote:
    Julius wrote:
    JMan711 wrote:

sober up. it would not be awesome.
    Well I'm thinking a bit along the lines of Moriarty in "Sherlock". A game of cat and mouse with Batsy and Riddler being very clever but now that I think about it a little more it doesn't fit with the Nolan Batman. It it too serious.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Man, I was kinda hoping for Mr. Freeze. Not so fantastic as the animated series, but with the same tragic roots. Then again, we'll probably never see his face on film again thanks to Schumacher.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Archonex wrote:
    Also, why is Gordon at death's door? Is that ever mentioned in the comics?
    He doesn't look at death's door to me, just really beat up. Like a few limbs and ribs snapped and concussed all to hell beat up. Almost like he had an unfortunate encounter with a certain muscle-bound freak of a villain.

Speaking of Bane, I really hope they actually put Bane in the film and not a shaved gorilla in a lucha libre mask and call it bane like in that other movie we don't talk about...but then, Nolan seems to have been paying attention so odds are favourable.

EDIT: @Rorus Raz we haven't seen "Mr Freeze" on film yet, just like how we haven't seen Bane either. Or Poison Ivy.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    Man, I was kinda hoping for Mr. Freeze. Not so fantastic as the animated series, but with the same tragic roots. Then again, we'll probably never see his face on film again thanks to Schumacher.

You're not sending ME to the COOLER!

Mercy? I'm afraid my condition has left me cold to your pleas of mercy.

Tonight, hell freezes over!

Ice to see you!

Prepare for a bitter harvest. Winter has come at last.

What killed the dinosaurs? The Ice Age!

In this universe, there's only one absolute... everything freezes!

Cool party!

Can you be cold, Batman? You have eleven minutes to thaw a bird.

If revenge is a dish best served cold, then put on your Sunday finest. It's time to feast!

Allow me to break the ice. My name is Freeze. Learn it well. For it's the chilling sound of your doom.

Let's kick some ice!

The Ice Man cometh!

My passion thaws for my pride alone.

Stay cool, Birdboy.

Freeze in hell, Batman!

• Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3slInVLWC9I

ha oh boy

those were good times

• Options
    WankWank Registered User regular
    As someone who never read the comics, who is John Blake?

i am so excited that JGL is in this

• Options
    Wank wrote:
    As someone who never read the comics, who is John Blake?

i am so excited that JGL is in this

Created for the movie...

...but it's JGL, so who cares?

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I find it really weird that people are clamoring for/disappointed in the lack of the really, really outlandish characters in the Batman rogue's gallery in Nolan's films.

The series has firmly established a grounded reality for all the characters, in some cases by seriously altering their comics-canon origin. Ol' Bats has plenty of more realistic villains, probably more than any of his contemporaries, for people to be put out that Killer Croc or Man-Bat isn't going to show up.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    The best part of Batman and Robin is the pop-out Bat Ice Skates. Also the Bat Credit Card (Expiration: Forever). Also when Poison Ivy kisses Batman but Batman reveals that he always wears lip-protection, just in case of poison kisses.

Yeah so I am basically the only person on earth who likes Batman and Robin. It's a great comedy! Well maybe it's not great - I mean, it's no Batman: The Movie. ("What's yellow and writes?" "Of course! A ball point banana!") But it holds up about as well as your average Mel Brooks movie. It's too bad it occasionally tries to be a serious film, and asks you to care that Alfred is dying and whatnot. Imagine if Airplane! wanted you to feel genuinely sad during the Vietnam flashbacks.

• Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    oh my god i seriously thought i imagined the bat credit card
    unbelievable

• Options
    haunting memories you wish you could forget

but you can't

you can't unsee it

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote:
    Speaking of Bane, I really hope they actually put Bane in the film and not a shaved gorilla in a lucha libre mask and call it bane like in that other movie we don't talk about...but then, Nolan seems to have been paying attention so odds are favourable.

Yeah, if he were planning on doing that he wouldn't need to hire an actual actor like Tom Hardy.

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Mr_Rose wrote:
    Tom-Hardy-Bane.jpg

banee.jpg

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    wandering wrote:
    The best part of Batman and Robin is the pop-out Bat Ice Skates. Also the Bat Credit Card (Expiration: Forever). Also when Poison Ivy kisses Batman but Batman reveals that he always wears lip-protection, just in case of poison kisses.

Yeah so I am basically the only person on earth who likes Batman and Robin. It's a great comedy! Well maybe it's not great - I mean, it's no Batman: The Movie. ("What's yellow and writes?" "Of course! A ball point banana!") But it holds up about as well as your average Mel Brooks movie. It's too bad it occasionally tries to be a serious film, and asks you to care that Alfred is dying and whatnot. Imagine if Airplane! wanted you to feel genuinely sad during the Vietnam flashbacks.

Really, it's the best of the four. The previous two did the same shit but forgot to instal the lighting fixtures so you couldn't see the jokes.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    What is Bane's motivation? Ras' wants to destroy any country that gets too powerful. Joker wants to cause chaos just because. Bane wants to ... rob banks? What's Bane's obsession?

• Options
    WankWank Registered User regular
    That was Bane climbing out of a well, right? And doing prison push-ups?

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote:
    What is Bane's motivation? Ras' wants to destroy any country that gets too powerful. Joker wants to cause chaos just because. Bane wants to ... rob banks? What's Bane's obsession?

IIRC, he wants to beat Batman. Or something.

• Options
    I forget which comic book had some good backstory on him, I read it recently

• Options
    emnmnme wrote:

I believe Bane's a highly intelligent criminal simply bent on taking Batman down.

• Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    That's really good. Though Batman here would be both Apollo Creed and Rocky.