Options

[Alphas] It's like Heroes but a lot better, seriously.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    One of the things I really like about this show - and was reinforced by the Nina subplot - is that the group really is as much a therapy group as an action-adventure team. They are all people with significant mental issues, and Rosen is the key because he is their therapist. That's why they all fell apart without him - the government treated them like a tactical squad instead of an out-patient support group.

Nina is the worst because she's the addict. Addicts are inherently unlikeable when they are at their worst.

The interesting thing to me with the current Nina subplot is how Nina has gone from Rosen's de facto second in command to his problem patient. I think lil' ninja is going to be the next Number Two.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    I wonder if they'll explore the disconnection between experiencing a memory and knowing you did something with her diary plan.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    We just started watching this and holy shit it's good. Bill and Hicks can go die in a fire and Nina really needs some back story
    they glossed over that "I my have made my ex commit suicide" far too fast
    but Rachel is really intertesting and Gary is easily the best character I've ever seen on TV. That guy needs an Emmy.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    I think they'll stop trying to give explanations as soon as they get to the flying/teleporting powerset.
    It'll happen eventually, probably in season 3/4, if they get that far.
    Already foreshadowed:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/23897555/#Comment_23897555

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Flying and teleportation seem a bit too fantastical for the show. They haven't even done telepathy yet and that's one of the easiest super powers to do in a TV show.

KingofMadCows on
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Isn't compelling voice junk one-way kinda telepathy-y?

Otherwise, yeah, telepathy doesn't even require special effects.

PLA on
  • Options
    I'm guessing Nina's power is basically some kind of hypnosis and the other kinds of mind control/alteration powers are pheromone based.

They haven't done any kind of Professor X type telepathy.

And if they ever do a mind reading thing, it'll probably be some kind of body language/micro-expression reading ability like in "Lie to Me" or the kind of ability that Cassandra Cain (Batgirl III) has rather than telepathic mind reading.

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    I watched the 2 hour premier on Netflix and I gotta admit, it didn't hold my attention like I thought it would. The autistic dude is easily my favorite while the rest seem kinda blah...but I'll give it a chance.

Mind you I just got into warehouse 13 and really enjoyed the first three seasons.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    I'm guessing Nina's power is basically some kind of hypnosis and the other kinds of mind control/alteration powers are pheromone based.

And if they ever do a mind reading thing, it'll probably be some kind of body language/micro-expression reading ability like in "Lie to Me" or the kind of ability that Cassandra Cain (Batgirl III) has rather than telepathic mind reading.

there's literally a dude in the first season where this is his power, they specifically call out microexpressions by name even

gary swerves his power because, as an autist, gary doesn't have typical emotional responses, expressions, or reactions. his autistic ticks and mannerisms basically fuck the guy's power to read him

• Options
    EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    As usual, the most recent ep has Gary walking away with the show. Also
    the woman the no long-term memories girl was drawing wasn't herself was it? They both had kind of the same nose.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Oh, and Rosen is the most principled shrink ever
    "Nina, let's start your therapy all over again, we'll soon have you sorted out after your last binge of using your mind control power to destroy all of your past relationships and [probably] rape a bunch of men. But first, I'd like you to go force a Senator to tell you all her secrets. She may even be guilty of something. It's OK, because I'm a psychiatrist.

Evermourn on
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Yeah Dr. Rosen is kind of a jerk. I'm not sure I even consider him a good guy at this point.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Evermourn wrote: »
    As usual, the most recent ep has Gary walking away with the show. Also
    the woman the no long-term memories girl was drawing wasn't herself was it? They both had kind of the same nose.
    I was under the impression that it was her mother.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Yeah Dr. Rosen is kind of a jerk. I'm not sure I even consider him a good guy at this point.

Rosen has some definite problems, but he's also trying to balance being a therapist for his team and an advocate/therapist for all Alphas, and at the same time track down and defeat a terrorist nobody believes exists. Not that that excuses him. I like that the show has made him a user, basically. He even defends himself against Parish's accusations by noting that the difference between them is not that Rosen doesn't use Alphas to get what he wants, but that what Rosen wants is better than what Parish wants. This episode actually probed that a bit by having Nina point out that Parish is an "ends justify the means" kind of guy--highlighting that that describes Rosen, too. Like all of his Alpha's, Rosen's not above self-interest, or obsession, or hurting the people he cares about.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Didn't Rosen use his daughter's power to keep his marriage intact? So he's always been pretty manipulative.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    So, infra-sound,
    or is Anna a ghost/vacuum energy encoded mind (Veem)/something else Gary can really perceive/see/sense?

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular

Lie to Me. The pilot-episode(s?) was the most enjoyable part. I think some characters changed and the show became slightly more meh.

Do you think they could pull off a person who both receives and sends "telepathy"? I'm thinking no.

• Options
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    So, infra-sound,
    or is Anna a ghost/vacuum energy encoded mind (Veem)/something else Gary can really perceive/see/sense?
    She was just a hallucination caused by the infrasound. He can't see her now that the alpha has stopped trying to get help or whatever he was doing.

• Options
    PLA wrote: »

Lie to Me. The pilot-episode(s?) was the most enjoyable part. I think some characters changed and the show became slightly more meh.

Do you think they could pull off a person who both receives and sends "telepathy"? I'm thinking no.

They might be able to do it with some kind of pheromones or maybe something similar to Gary's ability or perhaps, though I hope they don't do this, quantum entanglement.
    Evermourn wrote: »
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    So, infra-sound,
    She was just a hallucination caused by the infrasound. He can't see her now that the alpha has stopped trying to get help or whatever he was doing.

Although it is interesting how
    Gary's hallucinations are different than the others. His hallucination was good while everyone's hallucinations caused them to try to commit suicide.

• Options
    Although it is interesting how
    Gary's hallucinations are different than the others. His hallucination was good while everyone's hallucinations caused them to try to commit suicide.
    I had a think about it after watching the episode, and really I couldn't see what the alpha was trying to achieve, there didn't seem to be a whole lot of pattern to it. Presumably it wasn't super directed towards anything but was a reflection of his panic. I assume Gary was affected differently due to his autism, as has happened in other situations. It was funny seeing their most powerful members completely useless, while Rosen was fine since he wasn't affected.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    i actually kind of like how, because most Alpha abilities are brain-based or are based on behavior in some way, Gary's autism swerves a lot of it. Like, the idea that his neurodiversity has its own virtues is p neat.

• Options
    It's also interesting how Hicks didn't use his powers in response to the infrasound like the others.

• Options
    It's also interesting how Hicks didn't use his powers in response to the infrasound like the others.
    Probably because they don't work reliably when he gets off-balance, and he was pretty all over the place seeing his kid like that etc.

It annoyed me how they did the standard TV thing of showing someone undergoing something that would take about 10 seconds to do some major damage (sternum, meet scalpel), drag it on for ages then stop it and he's barely done anything. If he'd woken up to find his intestines hanging down around his ankles now that would have had some impact!

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I'm confused. Was Gary at Anna's funeral during this episode? Because I'm pretty sure Anna died like half a year ago show time and I know it doesn't take more than 3 or 4 days to plant a dead body.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Maybe her body was being held by the govt and was only just released? I can imagine they probably weren't keen on explaining how the family's massively disabled relative had been shot in the head by a government SWAT team. Also they'd probably been holding all the Red Flag bodies while they were being autopsied down to the molecular level, that would have taken some time.

Evermourn on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I think they said that Anna didn't have any family in the episode she first showed up in.
    It's not improbable that the DOD decided to keep all the alphas from the raid for study (there could be ethical blocks to that but when have ethics and sci-fi ever gotten along?), and only released her now.
    It's also possible that it was just a symbolic thing they set up to try to help Gary/get Gary to stop screaming so they could concentrate.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    I gotta say I appreciate the cinematography in this latest episode. I'm not a horror afficionado, and I wouldn't want to see this style in the show often, but it captured the mood perfectly.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    KronusKronus Registered User regular
    JonBob wrote: »
    I gotta say I appreciate the cinematography in this latest episode. I'm not a horror afficionado, and I wouldn't want to see this style in the show often, but it captured the mood perfectly.
    Hicks to Bill:
    Black guy dies first.

• Options
    I hope they work more to get Hicks past his anxiety or whatever it is that's holding him back. His powers is really versatile and can pretty much turn him into a combination of Batman and Taskmaster.

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Except Kat is Taskmaster already, right?

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    But Hicks's powers are better and more versatile. In fact, I don't even think he needs to learn new skills, his powers kind of just tells him how things work.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Kat is like a kick-ass mentalist combined with an awesome, adorable ninja. For such a new actress she's brilliantly played.
    "I win. I'm a winner." 8-)

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Clearly Gary's been
    listening to his recording of the infrasound to talk to Anna whenever he wants.

• Options
    But Hicks's powers are better and more versatile. In fact, I don't even think he needs to learn new skills, his powers kind of just tells him how things work.

Hicks can do physical things very well, but there's no indication that his competence goes beyond the throwing, kicking and shooting. Kat can literally learn how to do anything. Besides fighting, we've seen her learn how to put together an engine based on watching a single video.

She's the character that could learn to perform surgery, program a computer, fly a helicopter and learn a foreign language in a few days and never forget them as she forgets herself. And she can kick Bill's ass.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Hicks can do physical things very well, but there's no indication that his competence goes beyond the throwing, kicking and shooting. Kat can literally learn how to do anything. Besides fighting, we've seen her learn how to put together an engine based on watching a single video.

She's the character that could learn to perform surgery, program a computer, fly a helicopter and learn a foreign language in a few days and never forget them as she forgets herself. And she can kick Bill's ass.

Isn't a possible drawback to her ability is that she can't improvise on the fly? If things go wrong during a surgery she's performing in a scenario she never watched before isn't that patient in big trouble?

• Options
    edited August 2012

Isn't a possible drawback to her ability is that she can't improvise on the fly? If things go wrong during a surgery she's performing in a scenario she never watched before isn't that patient in big trouble?

It's unclear whether her ability involves deeper understanding or just rote copying. That's probably a future plot point.

Either way, though, it's far more expansive than Hicks's powers.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

It's unclear whether her ability involves deeper understanding or just rote copying. That's probably a future plot point.

True.

• Options
    edited August 2012

Hicks's powers also give him super deductive abilities. In the episode with the Alpha who had the ability to make people extreme attached to her, Hicks was able to use his power to deduce the path of car crash and determine that it was a suicide rather than an accident. In the second episode of the first season, they faced an Alpha with the same or similar abilities as Hicks and he was able to do all sorts of crazy things with predicting probabilities like flipping a coin in a certain way to cause a big car crash that allowed him to free himself. Hicks was able to use his power to determine the chain reaction that guy set off to kill someone.

KingofMadCows on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular

At the very least, she was able to draw a different woman than the video was drawing.

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular

Hicks's powers also give him super deductive abilities. In the episode with the Alpha who had the ability to make people extreme attached to her, Hicks was able to use his power to deduce the path of car crash and determine that it was a suicide rather than an accident. In the second episode of the first season, they faced an Alpha with the same or similar abilities as Hicks and he was able to do all sorts of crazy things with predicting probabilities like flipping a coin in a certain way to cause a big car crash that allowed him to free himself. Hicks was able to use his power to determine the chain reaction that guy set off to kill someone.

It's still based on him seeing the physical connection between things. He can't get knowledge like Kat can. Philli gave a good bunch of examples that are based in knowledge, rather than seeing the cause and effect with regards to physics. That crazy really smart guy also knew a lot about chemical reactions and reactions of people, which Hicks does not yet have.

Hicks can't perform surgery, because he might have the steadiest hand of all steady hand but he has no knowledge of the human body other than the basics. He might see earlier what happens, but he has no context to place that in.

Like, the guy had a problem fixing a toaster. He is not someone who can superman-read a textbook on neuroscience and grasp it.