As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia...Also AP Bio, The Mick, and Mythic Quest

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Oh, my god... the leather... yes, the tasselled leathers; the turquoise studs on the leathers... all the leather...

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    Mac at the drive-thru had me rolling.

In fact this whole episode was solid gold, especially Frank cracking the whip all the time for no good reason.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i'm gonna whip that bitch in the face

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    this whole season has been pretty weak to me

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    How I'd rank the season so far:
    "Frank's Pretty Woman" - 9
    "The Gang Goes to the Jersey Shore" - 9
    "Frank Reynolds’ Little Beauties" - 7 (a bit weak with the actual setup of the pageant, and they could have done more with the little kids acts; of course Dee's number and Yankee Doodle were gold)
    "Sweet Dee Gets Audited" - 9
    "Frank's Brother" - 2 (first stinker of the season)
    "The Storm of the Century" - 7 (most of the stuff with Frank and Dee was weak; everything else was great)
    "Chardee MacDennis: The Game of Games" - 8 (weak because there was no plot; awesome because there didn't need to be one)
    "The Anti-Social Network" - 9
    "The Gang Gets Trapped" - 7

Removing Frank's Brother, would put this season pretty high up there; definitely not as strong as Season 6, but I feel The first two episodes, and Chardee/Anti-Social are strong enough to consider this season a win.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    I appreciated how the bulk of the episode was Dennis and Dee hiding in a closet and it still managed to have snappy dialogue and be funny as hell. The two of them have just the best chemistry even though more often than not they're playing the straight man to Frank/Mac/Charlie's antics. Their identical reaction to the Arizona leather shop idea exemplifies how similar they are, yet they're constantly fighting over inane shit.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    The montage at the end of The Gang Goes to Jersey Shore was amazing. It actually made me feel kinda bad for Charlie.

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    I appreciated how the bulk of the episode was Dennis and Dee hiding in a closet and it still managed to have snappy dialogue and be funny as hell. The two of them have just the best chemistry even though more often than not they're playing the straight man to Frank/Mac/Charlie's antics. Their identical reaction to the Arizona leather shop idea exemplifies how similar they are, yet they're constantly fighting over inane shit.

Yeah, they have the brother / sister thing down. Dennis, who sexualizes every other woman, sees Dee almost as a poor extension of himself. So while Dennis feels the life she has lived has made her a lesser version of him, they still have a sort of hive mind.

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Watching an old episode...I remember how much I love Artemis' parlor room scene rant at the end of Who Pooped the Bed? all over again.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Podly wrote:

Yeah, they have the brother / sister thing down. Dennis, who sexualizes every other woman, sees Dee almost as a poor extension of himself. So while Dennis feels the life she has lived has made her a lesser version of him, they still have a sort of hive mind.
    Reynolds wrote:
    Watching an old episode...I remember how much I love Artemis' parlor room scene rant at the end of Who Pooped the Bed? all over again.

That cracked me up so much.

• Options
    RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    This may sound odd...but did anyone else kind of want to play Chardee Macdennis? Looks like a good time to me.

!
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    This may sound odd...but did anyone else kind of want to play Chardee Macdennis? Looks like a good time to me.

Yeah, it looks fun, looks like a good drinking game... but take the risk of salmonella or bodily harm away (now raw cake ingredient eating or standing int he path of oncoming darts, for instance), and I'd play, for sure.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote:

Yeah, it looks fun, looks like a good drinking game... but take the risk of salmonella or bodily harm away (now raw cake ingredient eating or standing int he path of oncoming darts, for instance), and I'd play, for sure.
    Mostly it just seems fun because they have this really strong friendship, with all those crazy inside jokes. It would be really fun to play a game at that level of craziness. But, yeah, without the bodily harm.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I liked this one a lot! storytelling is always good, Dee thinking she's talented and Mac being religious... Dennis being vain and Charlie being responsible. couldn't ask for anything more

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    Really? This one fell completely flat for me. Least favorite of the season.

• Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    I liked it. It was weird to see such a throwback episode. Back when Charlie was sane.

• Options
    RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    Not sure if I just didn't pick up on it before, but in the background there was a giant photograph of one of their bar regulars that died in a previous season.

!
  • Options
    Charlie's dance was pure magic. I really need a gif of that.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote:

That was definitely the highlight of the episode for me.

Damn do I love Charlie.

Erik
  • Options
    StrikaStrika Registered User regular
    If this episode fell flat for you, you like this show for the wrong reasons. That's not an opinion, it's fact.

• Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    I liked it. It was weird to see such a throwback episode. Back when Charlie was sane.

Yeah so weird. How did they do this? filmed it before mac got fat?

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    valiance wrote:

Yeah so weird. How did they do this? filmed it before mac got fat?

That's because most of it was supposed to be from an episode from last season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buIq3MJ-lpw

0.48 seconds in. I remember watching last season and wondering "Where the hell did the 'Meat Bomb' scene go, or 'Charlie dancing weird in front of Dennis' ?"

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    I knew that preview was from last year! I remember because the song used in all the commercials was from the Balkan Beat Box group and I had just heard them in concert that year and I thought I had lost all concept of time.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    Of course your beer tastes like bleach! I dipped the glass in bleach to clean it!

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    It would be kinda cool if they included the original Season 6 version of the episode before the Fat Mac stuff was added as a bonus on the next DVD/Blu release. It's probably not that much different, but I'm assuming they had to cut it down to fit the new material (and the ending was probably different).

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote:

Dance_First_2.gif

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I have to say, I loved Frank installing stop signs in a misguided attempt to mess with other people.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I have to say, I loved Frank installing stop signs in a misguided attempt to mess with other people.

I loved his "plan" of hitting people with a stick.

I also love Mac's flawed understanding of his professed religion. "I command you, almighty God!"

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    I just love Dennis' reaction.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    The stop sign gag got me pretty good.

"That way NOBODY can go"

"All youve done is made this intersection safer!"

Also I love how Charlie and Frank finding random stuff like eggs throughout the show leaves me to not bat an eye when they say they found bags of blood. "Well we are obviously going to boil the blood." That is their solution to everything they find. Denim? Boil it. Eggs? Boil them (for deliciousness). Blood? Boil it.

That being said, this episode seemed odd to me. It felt like a fan-script or something. Every character was reduced to their most base forms and it seemed like it struggled to find a reason to tie it all together.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    That could be because Mac was telling the story. Like his version of Halloween night when Sweet Dee literally became an ostrich.

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Yeah, I could see that a little bit. It became very apparent at the end when they werent even acting in character and it was obviously through mac's lense. However, wasn't most of that episode a "lost episode" from last year that was cut? Hence how they managed skinny mac? So it wouldn't have been on purpose in that case.

Either way it wasnt a bad episode by any means, but it did feel a bit off.

In other news, my wife is extremely pissed that Frank has been saying "what the shit" and otherwise using shit in place of fuck recently. Mainly because I've been doing so for about a year now and she always yells at me that "nobody does that!" In your face, wife!

616610-1.png
  • Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    Invisible wrote:
    That could be because Mac was telling the story. Like his version of Halloween night when Sweet Dee literally became an ostrich.

That's how I took it also. It was all the characters from Mac's perspective.

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    great episode

i cackled at frank's synopsis of the show itself to the tourists

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    That was a straight up classic episode. We'll be trying to thundergun for years.

This has been my favorite season since 3 or 4. I even loved the much-maligned Frank's Brother episode (although my love of season 4 already kind of made me an oddball).

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    every time Sweet Dee and Charlie get to team up it is hilarious

• Options
    He Thunder Gunned the shit out of us!

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    i don't agree that this season has been bad, but it does feel like they're a bit off the rails, like things are less tightly plotted or written and they're relying more on the pure absurdity or, you know, horribleness of individual events and behaviour to get to the funny

which totally works, but it lacks the sort of overarching and directed brilliance of something like "The Gang Goes Jihad", the sort of structure that reminds me of Seinfield with its interconnectedness of plot and character.

you could just put Charlie in a room and have him do things and i would watch him for hours, though, so it will take a long time for me to think this show is bad

• Options
    See, EM, I like the change in direction. Like I've said before, how can you top a setup like The Nightman Cometh? The built their success on those kind of jokes, but now the episodes are more based on exploring the individual character-character relationships. Like Dennis and Dee trapped in a closet or Frank relating the show itself to a tour group and not understanding that they don't know who charlie is. Smaller jokes, but it is more consistently funny to me.

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I liked that frank had literally nothing to offer people besides the ridiculous shit we've already seen. that and sewer diving is all he is.

I don't like it more or less (or I don't want to like it more or less) but I'm loving it right now. and this one felt about as classic as it gets.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch