As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Washington] Politics

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Do you realize Kim Wyman and Tim Eyman only have a difference of two letters?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    ...Fuck

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Do you realize Kim Wyman and Tim Eyman only have a difference of two letters?

With how this year is gone I don't think I would even be surprised if she reached under her neck revealing that her entire face was a mistake and underneath it was the one, the only: Tim Eyman. The case would go to the state supreme court which would look at it and say, "He got in clean. There's nothing we can do."

• Options
    They would consider appealing to a higher court but HAHAHAHAHA GET FUCKED.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Hey at least bothell said yay to banning fireworks

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    http://crosscut.com/2016/11/kshama-sawant-against-clinton-on-the-defense/
    For some, Councilmember Kshama Sawant is the firebrand leftist many in Seattle crave as a reaction to Donald Trump. A post-election rally she helped organize in Westlake Park was populated by a large swath of Seattleites, beyond those adoring followers who tend to show up for her hearings in City Hall. A friend of mine from Beirut, speechless after Trump’s victory and not a typical rally attendee, fought toward the rally’s stage to hear Sawant lay waste to the conciliatory tones of the nation’s highest-profile Democrats.

But in recent days, her credentials as a leader in the anti-Trump movement have been firmly revoked by others. Sawant, after all, encouraged progressives across the country not vote for Hillary Clinton — she took to Democracy Now, progressive magazine The Nation, and even protests outside the Democratic National Convention to do so.

• Options
    Yeah she's not all that helpful outside the Seattle city limits.

• Options
    At this point I couldn't care less what happens beyond the city limits. The rest of the state that isn't a metropolitan center went hard red for Trump.

And yet they still want the share of the pie that we chiefly bake.

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    At this point I couldn't care less what happens beyond the city limits. The rest of the state that isn't a metropolitan center went hard red for Trump.

And yet they still want the share of the pie that we chiefly bake.

This, I think the fundamental issue with US politics these days. We have been divided and conquered by so many different parties, both political and corporate in nature, that a basic unity is a understated difficulty. One that is fought against as much as it is fought for by the same people.

We do not fully appreciate the connectedness shared across states, let alone the entire nation. So goes the fortunes of the cities as goes the fortunes of the fields. And the other way around.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    The people in the fields want to deport Muslims and ban abortion. They can kiss the fatest part of my ass.

• Options
    Oh goody we're back to this shit again.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    what happened with the supreme court? did that tim eyman shill get in?

• Options
    All three State Supreme Court incumbents were retained.

• Options
    Thank god. We're going to need them in the dark years coming.

• Options
    Reichert has been amazingly silent about the election.

His twitter does carry all the important news, however:

If you know anyone in his district, tell them to give him a call.

• Options
    Dave Reichert only cares about getting Dave Reichert reelected. The man has no convictions aside from that.

• Options
    All the more reason to call.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    He probably doesn't even have anyone assigned to check the messages. I'm guessing an intern presses the "Delete All Voicemails" button once a day and then resumes spamming Pepe memes on /pol.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Dave Reichert says nothing, ever, because he knows the slightest bit of sunshine will destroy him.

His opponent dropped out before the primary and got 43% of the vote.

• Options
    Good news! The 5th Congressional district will have another opportunity to elect someone who is not Cathy McMorris-Rodgers.

Bad news: this is because she's been tapped to lead the Department of the Interior, a position for which she has no obvious qualifications beyond "is from the Western U.S."

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Wait, you mean Trump appointment and unqualified cabin level leader who doesn't think their branch of the federal government should even exist?

Well, color me surprised.

• Options
    what do we think of the eastside secession movement

any chance that gets any traction?

also is that even possible? i.e. is there any kind of legal framework for making that happen?

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    what do we think of the eastside secession movement

any chance that gets any traction?

also is that even possible? i.e. is there any kind of legal framework for making that happen?
    New states may be admitted by the Congress into this union; but no new states shall be formed or erected within the jurisdiction of any other state; nor any state be formed by the junction of two or more states, or parts of states, without the consent of the legislatures of the states concerned as well as of the Congress.

The Congress shall have power to dispose of and make all needful rules and regulations respecting the territory or other property belonging to the United States; and nothing in this Constitution shall be so construed as to prejudice any claims of the United States, or of any particular state.

So, both Congress and the Current WA state legislature would have to agree on it.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Which is actually not impossible. R's control WA congress(IIRC) and 2 more R senators plus more R house members(probably) would be a political coup for R's. The GOP would love to split off every rural area they could into its own state, it would cement their political victory forever.

But i doubt it would happen. Puget Sound Energy and Seattle City Light own the vast majority of productive assets on the east side of the state (I.E. pretty much all of the dams). Doing so while remaining fiscally stable would require taking of PSE/SCL property and/or somehow charging the west side for water rights from the mountains (assuming they got those). At a base level the people in WA legislature voting for it would have to know what would result. It would take about 5 minutes before everyone in the state knew just how much money King County donated to them personally by way of state taxes.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Let them go. Cut off their tax welfare. Turn off their electricity. Let them bootstrap their theocratic dark-age fiefdom.

Build a fucking wall to keep them out of Cascadia.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    We can't build a wall because a good deal of power power generation is over there. We own it but it's still on the east side. Though a wall would also be unnecessary. Just blockade the passes

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Your facts are irrelevant in this brave new world.

• Options
    Don't let them form their own state; give them to Idaho instead.

• Options
    How about we don't talk about some pie in the sky secessionist movement that'll never happen, and we can take it as read that you all hate the east side so we don't have to go through this thing where you are jerks about it every fucking time.

• Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    How about we don't talk about some pie in the sky secessionist movement that'll never happen, and we can take it as read that you all hate the east side so we don't have to go through this thing where you are jerks about it every fucking time.

I love the east side. Very pretty, tasty fruit. I hate the majority of voters currently living there and their terrible death-cult politics.

• Options
    The East Side is actually quite nice, except for the majority of the voting popuation there.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Wrong Washington threat try catcher.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Black Bloc shows up to protest a Milo appearance at the University of Washington, bricks are thrown, man gets shot in the stomach and is currently in critical condition. Shooter turns self into police, claims victim was white supremacist and the shooting was in self-defense. Police release him with no charges. Friends of victim claim their pal was no racist; voted Bernie and had an anti-swastika tattoo.

I get that in certain clear-cut cases (ex. store owner shooting would-be robber) the police don't charge people. But releasing someone who shot another person during what was by all accounts a rough protest seems a little off, especially if the motivation falls down to he-said, she-said.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Black Bloc shows up to protest a Milo appearance at the University of Washington, bricks are thrown, man gets shot in the stomach and is currently in critical condition. Shooter turns self into police, claims victim was white supremacist and the shooting was in self-defense. Police release him with no charges. Friends of victim claim their pal was no racist; voted Bernie and had an anti-swastika tattoo.

I get that in certain clear-cut cases (ex. store owner shooting would-be robber) the police don't charge people. But releasing someone who shot another person during what was by all accounts a rough protest seems a little off, especially if the motivation falls down to he-said, she-said.

To be clear, he could still be charged later, no?

• Options
    Releasing him just means they don't think he's gonna make a run for it so it's not worth jailing him.

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    Releasing him just means they don't think he's gonna make a run for it so it's not worth jailing him.
    That makes more sense.

Some good news- Kim Wyman
    paying 10k in campaign fines

• Options
    yo, the senate just lost its republican majority because of hiring by the Trump administration

I just sent an email to my senator, I suggest everyone else do the same (better yet, call them and tell them you're not gonna tolerate any faffing about)

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    In case anyone else is also low on sleep and confused:

http://www.thestranger.com/slog/2017/01/25/24822065/the-morning-news-washington-republicans-take-jobs-in-trump-administration-lose-state-senate-majority

Pushing legislation through will create "incredible bad blood," says R senator.

Oh no, oh dear, anything but that!

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    yo, the senate just lost its republican majority because of hiring by the Trump administration

I just sent an email to my senator, I suggest everyone else do the same (better yet, call them and tell them you're not gonna tolerate any faffing about)

doesn't the party get to backfill any vacated seats? I don't think it's empty until the next election

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
This discussion has been closed.