As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Original Gameboy games...wow there's an oldie for ya...

• Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Quintile wrote: »
    Final Fantasy Legend 2!

Yes!

Still one of my favorite games, but I'm not sure how much of that is objectivity and how much is nostalgia.

Marty81 on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The RC PRO-AM that came out on the gameboy was quite a lot of fun too.

Wasn't there an F1 racer out for it too, that used that little four way hub accessory to give multiplayer? Don't remember the game itself being very fun (was basically Pole Position) but the multiplayer was pretty good for the time.

xzzy on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Oh yes, Motocross Madness is a must have. I played the shit out of that game.. it was like Excite Bike and Sonic mushed together in a completely awesome hybrid.

Seem to recall the GameBoy had problems rendering the game though.. your biker would go too fast for the display to update so a lot of things turned into a blurry mess.

xzzy on
  • Options
    Sky DemonSky Demon Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Bonk's Adventure
    Bonk's Revenge
    Alleyway

Sky Demon on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mantis23mantis23 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Damn you people!

because of this thread,I just went and bought a gameboy off of ebay...

...I have no willpower.

mantis23 on
    0y6kx4rwubui.jpg
  • Options
    ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    mantis23 wrote: »
    Damn you people!

because of this thread,I just went and bought a gameboy off of ebay...

...I have no willpower.

Then my grand plan was a total success...kudos all around!

I've been playing it off and on since yesterday...the nostalgia factor is through the roof with this thing. Green screen...oh how I love you.

Scotty on
  • Options
    DaSniper91DaSniper91 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    These games are 100% win, and also gold.

There was this bike racing game on Gameboy that I had way back when that was pretty fun. I don't remember what it was called though... it eventually got a GBA sequel, though.

Motocross Maniacs!

I love that game!

DaSniper91 on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'll add one more vote for the Final Fantasy games. All entertaining.

I also enjoyed this little RPG called Great Greed. Kind of a quirky game, but I thought the graphics were cool for the time.

I also liked Quarth and Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    Akilae729Akilae729 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Also, I remember my friend playing a James Bond game for the original game boy for days at a time. Apparently it was pretty amazing.

1137363027-00.jpg

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Oh man I LOVE original Gameboy games. I'm going to list a bunch of games. Many will probably be repeats and even ones you'll already own by the time you read this. You'll just have to deal with that.

You must seek these out:

Bionic Commando
    Buster Bros.
    Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge
    Fortified Zone
    Go Go Tank
    Heiyanko Alien
    Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge
    Mega Man II
    Mega Man III
    Mega Man IV
    Mega Man V
    Metroid II: Return of Samus
    Nobunaga's Ambition
    Gargoyle's Quest
    Quarth
    Super Mario Land
    Trax
    Tumblepop
    Turrican
    Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins
    Wario Land: Super Mario Land III
    Wario Land 2

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Crazieman wrote: »
    Kirby's Dream Land
    Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
    Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land
    Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening

These games are 100% win, and also gold.

There was this bike racing game on Gameboy that I had way back when that was pretty fun. I don't remember what it was called though... it eventually got a GBA sequel, though.

Motorbike Madness?

Also, dudes. Battletoads.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    IcyCoolIcyCool Registered User new member
    edited February 2007
    What the fuck? No mention of Yoshi's Cookie? Get some YC on that bitch NOW. I spent like an hour and a half in day care at my mom's gym playing that and Tetris. Oh how I remember those days. If I had the money I'd go out and get an old school GB myself. But, alas, I am poor.

IcyCool on
    icycool21-forumgames.png
    Get your own Gamercard Sig.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    IcyCool wrote: »
    What the fuck? No mention of Yoshi's Cookie? Get some YC on that bitch NOW. I spent like an hour and a half in day care at my mom's gym playing that and Tetris. Oh how I remember those days. If I had the money I'd go out and get an old school GB myself. But, alas, I am poor.

GBC, GBA/GBA SP and the Gameboy Player for the Gamecube are all viable options. GBC especially as you can get one for around $10 and there are a lot of great GBC games that are inexpensive.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Akilae729 wrote: »
    Kaputa wrote: »
    Pretty sure it needs a GBC.

pretty sure it doesnt

A conclusive answer to this -

Pokémon Yellow does not need a GBC to run, it will run on old skool GB, however, it has a slightly improved colour pallette than Red/Blue if it is played on the GBC.

LewieP on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Of course, REAL men play their Pokemon in Blue or Red, nevermind that cartoon stuff... ;)

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I actually got pokémon yellow whilst in holiday in the US, and neither red nor blue were out in the UK at the time (iirc) before having even seen the cartoon

So when I got back home, I had yellow, and was a fair bit into it, then everyone else got red + blue.

Needless to say - It made me feel damn cool to have a special edition that no one else had even heard of.

LewieP on
  • Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Gim wrote: »
    POKEMON YELLOW! THE GREATEST OF ALL POKEMONS! PIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKA!

While I agree with this statement, will it run on the original GameBoy, or does it require the GBC?

It will indeed run on the original gameboy seeing as that was my choice of weapon at that time (and still is).

RichardTauber on
  • Options
    malerikmalerik Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Links awakening!
    Final Fantasy Legend 3 is awesome. Surprisingly good soundtrack for a gb!
    Mario obviously.
    Megaman... well all of them pretty much. Megaman 5 is a completely original title, which is pretty awesome.

but best of all, Harvest Moon! I love the original snes one, and although the GB one loses one of the most important features (the courting aspect) its still fun to run your little farmy buisness.

malerik on
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    If I didn't remember wrongly,bubble bobble 3 were pretty awesome.Or was it bobble bubble?

Peas on
  • Options
    WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    For some reason, the game boy was a magnet for awesome game music. It seems like it's version of Tetris was better than the NES', especially in terms of music, and I remember really loving Killer Instinct's music as well (and was actually a pretty decent port too, imo).

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    It makes me feel warm inside that this thread has made it to 3 pages. There's a copy of Belmont's Revenge at a local used games store...maybe I should somehow get there and nab that up.
    Castlevania_II_Belmonts_Revenge_GBC_ScreenShot2.jpg

Scotty on
  • Options
    NofrikinfuNNofrikinfuN Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Firebrand wrote: »
    Gargoyle's Quest

Yes.

gbg8up5.jpg

I recall it being pretty damn hard at times though. The four-eye tower boss... ugh.

Your name suggests you would appreciate that particular game. Shame the sequel was on NES.

Also, didn't they do something stupid like rename him "Firebrag" in Demon's Crest?

... Man, I just thought of two titles that need to come to the virtual console.

NofrikinfuN on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Of course, REAL men play their Pokemon in Blue or Red, nevermind that cartoon stuff... ;)

Pokemon Yellow is a lot harder then Red/Blue. ;D

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Pata wrote: »

Indeed. First badge with pikachu, caterpri (sp?) and pidgey...

LewieP on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Woodroez wrote: »
    For some reason, the game boy was a magnet for awesome game music. It seems like it's version of Tetris was better than the NES', especially in terms of music, and I remember really loving Killer Instinct's music as well (and was actually a pretty decent port too, imo).

Oh man, Gameboy Killer Instinct! I had forgotten about that one. I used to play it all the time, it was one of my favorites. I remember it had a "light" and a "dark" setting for the backgrounds which changed the detail level so you could make the characters easier to see. Heh.

Seeing those graphics and the Donkey Kong Land graphics on Gameboy really impressed me all those years ago.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Also, didn't they do something stupid like rename him "Firebrag" in Demon's Crest?

He's still Firebrand, the Red Demon. However the develop had stated that Demon's Crest is not Gargoyle's Quest 3 and that it is not the same Red Arramer/Firebrand who is the protagonist of the first two Gargoyle's Quest games nor are his motivations directly related to the Red Arramers Arthur battles in the Ghouls 'n Ghosts series.

Oh man, when I unlocked Red Arramer in SNK vs. Capcom and pitted him against Geese Howard it was the geekiest moment ever for me.

Neo Rasa on
  • Options
    NofrikinfuNNofrikinfuN Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Neo Rasa wrote: »

He's still Firebrand, the Red Demon. However the develop had stated that Demon's Crest is not Gargoyle's Quest 3 and that it is not the same Red Arramer/Firebrand who is the protagonist of the first two Gargoyle's Quest games nor are his motivations directly related to the Red Arramers Arthur battles in the Ghouls 'n Ghosts series.

Oh man, when I unlocked Red Arramer in SNK vs. Capcom and pitted him against Geese Howard it was the geekiest moment ever for me.

This franchise needs a revival.

NofrikinfuN on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    LewieP wrote: »

It's generally worth it to build up a Caterpie into a Butterfree, so that you can use Confusion on the Rock-types in the gym.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    jothki wrote: »

It's generally worth it to build up a Caterpie into a Butterfree, so that you can use Confusion on the Rock-types in the gym.

yeah, its just that in blue/red you have a option of a water/plant starting pokémon that makes it more difficult.

LewieP on
  • Options
    rusty6713rusty6713 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Can I just say that it's awesome someone else had Qix for the original Gameboy? Awesome stuff!

rusty6713 on
  • Options
    FirebrandFirebrand Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Scotty wrote: »
    It makes me feel warm inside that this thread has made it to 3 pages. There's a copy of Belmont's Revenge at a local used games store...maybe I should somehow get there and nab that up.

Is that the first or second Castlevania game for the GB? I had the first one for the while... and it was pretty terrible I thought.

Firebrand on
  • Options
    TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Akilae729 wrote: »
    Also, I remember my friend playing a James Bond game for the original game boy for days at a time. Apparently it was pretty amazing.

I had that game. It was pretty good and I'd recommend it.

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Firebrand wrote: »
    Scotty wrote: »

Is that the first or second Castlevania game for the GB? I had the first one for the while... and it was pretty terrible I thought.

I believe it's the 2nd one.

Scotty on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I have to anti-recommend Kirby's Dreamland. I went back to it recently and it's not the same as I remembered it. It's incredibly short; 4 levels, technically 5 but the fifth is just every boss fight over again + the final boss. Each level is only a little longer than the average level in KA on the NES.

And you can't steal enemies' abilities.

The music is great, design is ok and everything but it just feels so lifeless to me.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    All this thread does is remind me that my Metroid II and Links Awakening carts are missing, probably never to be found again... Thanks guys.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    radjagoradjago Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    IMO, GBA SP is the only way to go. How can you stand playing without color or light? It's like rising early in the morning to go hunting for your dinner.

radjago on
    PAX East Train Alliance, Metal Gear Line: 2013 || 2012 || 2010
  • Options
    androo87androo87 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Wow.. now I'm going to have to pull out the ol' gameboy I have at my parent's house and play some Link's Awakening. That and Donkey Kong Country 3. w00t!

androo87 on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Donkey Kong for Gameboy is awesome.

It's the game that spawned the later games Mario Vs Donkey Kong.

The Zelda games are good, the Mario Land games are good, the Wario games are good...

I didn't know much about the Gameboy library back in the day. I wish I had.

I hear Ghost Busters II was really good, though.

slash000 on
  • Options
    supermauerbrossupermauerbros Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Yeah I'm going to throw my hat in and vouch for Donkey Kong. Interestingly I remember receiving that as an Easter present (I know right?) on vacation in Florida. The beach got slightly less love thanks to DK. I'm also 7/8th's of the way through Link's Awakening after always getting that far then not having the desire to seal the deal. Maybe this time will be different.

Also, my favorite random-ass original Gameboy game will always be Battle Bull.

20268758.JPG

You're stuck on a mining colony where the other robots have gone berserk and you have to crush them by pushing blocks into them or by using your $$$ rewards to purchase upgrades like missiles.

Quoth www.dessgeega.com/battlebull.html
    seta's 1990 gameboy title battle bull is robot arena death combat.

you control a robot bulldozer, and your goal is to crush the other robots by shoving blocks into them. smashing robots earns money, and between stages you can upgrade your bull opa opa-style. eventually you can earn enough money to afford weapons. your opponents have a variety of weapons and behaviors of their own, though.

the stage design is superb and the arenas lend well to shoving huge blocks around. the robots can manipulate the blocks themselves, of course, and you shape the stages as you play them. (it's also worth mentioning that the music is fantastic.)

She also has an avi video of the gameplay here

Anyways, enjoy the 8-bit revolution in your hand.

supermauerbros on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    jothki wrote: »

yeah, its just that in blue/red you have a option of a water/plant starting pokémon that makes it more difficult.

Heck, I was just talking about it being based on the cartoon. ;P

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!