As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Plok [chat]

• Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14492948

This is quite exciting!

The headline is very misleading, but still exciting stuff!

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    desc wrote:
    Organichu wrote:
    desc wrote:
    So i heard all of Chu's opinions are wrong ITT

chu, put down Call of Madden 2011. you need to level up your fairy twins in Sparkling Chibi Fragrant Grind Story if you want to be in the cool club.

:(

I just don't get why nerds have to be so mean.

Because flexing the hatred out at other, easy targets is a temporary reprieve from the unending grayness of a life filled otherwise with self hatred.

Or was that more a rhetorical question

The PA forums are as full of people spending staggering amounts of time/energy hating things as everywhere else. I think if someone feels that being socially /athletically / whatever savvy is out of reach, being a self-described connoisseur allows you to weaponize the idea of "good taste."

You can rip apart someone's interest in FIFA BLOPS under the guise of schooling them on better games to broaden their horizons. It's like all the upended of bullying with done plausible deniability to boot.

Right- this is p much my read of the landscape, too.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I also rage a little inside when people say they could never be stern or commanding with their dog because its their friend. The dog wants you to be commanding, they like being told what to do.

Yeah, totally. You don't have to be mean, but dogs in my experience respond really well to me when I firmly establish myself as "beta dog" (where their owner is "alpha dog.")

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    MM, when I was in college I worked at a cafe. The most direct path from my dorm took me down the street with all the frats and sororities on it, frats on one side, sororities on the other.

Late November in Eastern Washington and I'm walking to work, with a heavy coat and gloves. There are guys in shorts and backwards hats with no shirts on throwing a football around while girls in tank tops and minishorts sit and watch.

They're a thing.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Look we pick on Chu because he's an easy target and lacks depth perception to properly respond. That he also happens to have awful opinions about everything just makes it easier.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TehSloth wrote:
    My sister has repeatedly forgotten to put water in her easy mac before microwaving it.

She wants to be a Baker.

I have a lot more respect than I used to for bakers. I once tried to bake a cake from scratch, and didn't follow the recipe exactly as written. My roommate was arguing that I needed to actually follow it since baking is a science, and my clever retort was that if it was a science then why are ladies so good at it.

I basically ended up making a giant lump of caramel, it was pretty awful.

Baking is incredibly easy because all you need to do is follow the recipe.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Daxon wrote:
    TehSloth wrote:
    My sister has repeatedly forgotten to put water in her easy mac before microwaving it.

She wants to be a Baker.

I have a lot more respect than I used to for bakers. I once tried to bake a cake from scratch, and didn't follow the recipe exactly as written. My roommate was arguing that I needed to actually follow it since baking is a science, and my clever retort was that if it was a science then why are ladies so good at it.

What if you're not following a recipe?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Daxon wrote:

And when you want to create something you don't have a recipe for daxon?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Daxon wrote:
    TehSloth wrote:

She wants to be a Baker.

Then you find a recipe for what you want to make on the internet.

It is so easy!

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Looks like they finally made a 2-D Pikmin.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/preview-kirby-mass/718811

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Can someone please adopt me.
    Do the kittens come with you?

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    You have to do the cooking by the book or the cake will come out crazy.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2011
    Where I went to school (St. John's University), the basketball team was pretty storied, despite having a few weak years around the time I was attending. I made fun of those players so, so much. Like, I'm not too bad on the court- at my lightest (178-179?) I could dunk, at 6'1". I used to play with some of them, fooling around.

I remember one awkward white dude- power forward, I think- who was 6'9" and couldn't dunk. Give him the ball under a totally undefended net and he'd do a boring, white guy layup. He pretended it was to 'play safe and smart' but he legitimately could not dunk. It was amazing. Made fun of that guy so hard.

Organichu on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    I'm listening to two guys sitting in the library talking about conspiracy theories.

Fun fun fun times!

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote:
    desc wrote:
    Organichu wrote:
    desc wrote:
    So i heard all of Chu's opinions are wrong ITT

chu, put down Call of Madden 2011. you need to level up your fairy twins in Sparkling Chibi Fragrant Grind Story if you want to be in the cool club.

:(

I just don't get why nerds have to be so mean.

Because flexing the hatred out at other, easy targets is a temporary reprieve from the unending grayness of a life filled otherwise with self hatred.

Or was that more a rhetorical question

The PA forums are as full of people spending staggering amounts of time/energy hating things as everywhere else. I think if someone feels that being socially /athletically / whatever savvy is out of reach, being a self-described connoisseur allows you to weaponize the idea of "good taste."

You can rip apart someone's interest in FIFA BLOPS under the guise of schooling them on better games to broaden their horizons. It's like all the upended of bullying with done plausible deniability to boot.

On the other hand, nerds might see their love of video games as a uniting feature, one thing that belongs to them as a social minority.

Seeing somebody they perceive as the social majority horn in on that territory makes them feel threatened, like the majority is taking away the only thing they can call their own.

(I'm not defending this attitude, just speculating.)

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    Jokerman wrote:
    I'm listening to two guys sitting in the library talking about conspiracy theories.

Fun fun fun times!

Cough loudly and then pull out your cell phone while looking at them, don't even call anyone just talk into it.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    Jokerman wrote:

Fun fun fun times!

Are they talking about them like "these sure are some conspiracy theories" or are they like "i think this shit is actually true"

Goddamn, I hate people who buy into conspiracy theories. Like, I should sympathize or something, but it is one of the areas where all I can think is that the person is a moron and I hate them for their stupidity.

• Options
    Feral wrote:
    On the other hand, nerds might see their love of video games as a uniting feature, one thing that belongs to them as a social minority.

Seeing somebody they perceive as the social majority horn in on that territory makes them feel threatened, like the majority is taking away the only thing they can call their own.

(I'm not defending this attitude, just speculating.)

Yeah I read PA too feral...

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Jokerman wrote:

Fun fun fun times!

Are they talking about them like "these sure are some conspiracy theories" or are they like "i think this shit is actually true"

Goddamn, I hate people who buy into conspiracy theories. Like, I should sympathize or something, but it is one of the areas where all I can think is that the person is a moron and I hate them for their stupidity.

I have a theory about that.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote:

indeed.

I feel like I'm forgetting something, though. What am I forgetting?

Oh!

*opens locker door*

*pushes Chu in*

*closes locker door*

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Daxon wrote:
    TehSloth wrote:

She wants to be a Baker.

Yeah man, what if I don't wanna be constrained by the man.

Look, I didn't have sour cream, and I don't have onions, I do have sour cream and onion dip, but no, you can't make pierogis with sour cream and onion dip.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    I had two pizzas in the middle of the night

and then I just had this disgusting food court shit

I feel awful reboot reboot

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    Oh and just as a note on baking:

If you're going to bake.

Do not make a sponge cake. They are universally boring, just boring cake. Even if you make two or cut the one you make in half so you put cream or jam in between it it will remain boring. There are so many better things you can do than make a sponge cake.

• Options
    Daxon wrote:

If you're going to bake.

Do not make a sponge cake. They are universally boring, just boring cake. Even if you make two or cut the one you make in half so you put cream or jam in between it it will remain boring. There are so many better things you can do than make a sponge cake.

But sponge cakes are neat. They're actually organized colonies of smaller cakes!

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    I've noticed that all I have to do for either Asda or Tesco to send me money off vouchers is not shop online with them for two weeks.

Tesco just sent me a voucher for £7.50 and free delivery. If I alternate and stretch a single shop to ten days or so I think I can probably do this indefinitely.

• Options
    http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/215116029_FMT59-L-2.jpg

In case the PA reference was missed.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    japan wrote:
    I've noticed that all I have to do for either Asda or Tesco to send me money off vouchers is not shop online with them for two weeks.

Tesco just sent me a voucher for £7.50 and free delivery. If I alternate and stretch a single shop to ten days or so I think I can probably do this indefinitely.

:^:

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote:
    Daxon wrote:

If you're going to bake.

But sponge cakes are neat. They're actually organized colonies of smaller cakes!

If you bite a piece of sponge cake off and stick both pieces back together they merge again

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote:
    Jokerman wrote:

Fun fun fun times!

Cough loudly and then pull out your cell phone while looking at them, don't even call anyone just talk into it.

No no just pretend like you are whispering into your shirt cuff.

• Options
    Hakkekage wrote:
    Feral wrote:
    Daxon wrote:

If you're going to bake.

If you bite a piece of sponge cake off and stick both pieces back together they merge again

Exactly. If you put a sponge cake in a blender and then pour it out, after several hours it'll reform into the same shape of cake!

• Options
    Preacher wrote:

Right! I forgot about that strip. Exactly.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Burrito, chinese food or sandwich. The eternal question.

• Options

Eat a salad, fatty.

• Options
    And don't drown the fucking thing in ranch dressing like you usually do.

• Options
    japan wrote:

Or you could do a crazy off. Like go into the bathroom splash water on your face and go "You guys sound like you know whats up with the world and I can trust you, I can't trust anyone..." And then tell them you are the guy who faked barrack Obama's birth certificate.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    japan wrote:
    Preacher wrote:
    Jokerman wrote:

Fun fun fun times!

Or, you know, don't talk in the fucking library.

Grr.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

Take some bread
    Add burrito filling
    Add chinese food
    Add more bread

Problem solved

• Options
    Feral wrote:

Yeah and despite the label, bacos aren't lowfat anything. And no coke you disgusting blob of flesh, you've had enough sugar to last your entire life.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I hear if you cut of a piece of sponge cake it will eventually grow into a duplicate of the original.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Feral wrote:

LEAVE ME ALONE, DADMOMHEALTHTEACHER.

This discussion has been closed.