As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Official Civil War Thread Version 3.0

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »
    This makes me even more disgusted with SHIELD, Reed, Tony, and Hank. I can see registration of powers, I can even see licensing to be a vigilante, but forcing people with powers to register and then forcing them to serve in this army is bullshit. I'd almost call the American citizens in the Marvel Universe batshit insane, except I know that crap along these lines is happening in real life anyway. As I said many months ago, fuck Reed, Tony, Hank, and especially SHIELD. :v:

What amazes me is that no one even seems to consider the fact that the draft isn't automatically bad.

Israel has had universal service forever. As a result, they have one of the most educated electorates possible with regards to legislating and leading the military.

Just because a draft is scary doesn't mean it's wrong. Everyone here seems to act like the very concept of a draft is immoral somehow.

Universal drafts aren't horrible. Selective drafts during periods without high levels of nationalistic fevor are really, really bad however. This is one of the lessons the Armed Forces learned during Vietnam when drafting was skewed along racial/economic lines. The high brass in the Army especially don't want a draft.

The post Vietnam clean up of the Armed Forces wasn't pretty. There were alot of issues with drug use and dangerous insubordnation in some units. Most of the armed forces were what they are today, people who wished to serve thier country for a number of reasons. But it was enough of an issue that the words "Lets bring back the draft" leave a really bad taste in some of mouths of some of the brass.

And to bring this back on topic...holy christ. Given the number of personality issues alot of those hero's have I wouldn't want to be around them. While alot of those guys are good in small unit type fights I wouldn't even want to imagine the poor people trying to keep them in line.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I must admit, looking at that initiative cover makes me eat my words about DC comics having the stupidest looking heroes. Some of those guys are easily on par, I mean that guy with the wolf head hat? wtf is that about? Half look like they are rip offs of other heroes, the other half look like they had little to know thought or imagination put into their costumes.

For shame Marvel, for shame.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    No, see, the thing here is that the SHRA applies to anyone with powers. Jessica Jones has hung up her hero tights, but she'd be required to register and, by virtue of this draft, have to go back to the life she's left behind. There is no choice for those who have no intention at all of being vigilantes or crime fighters, which is why I'm so against it.

And this isn't a universal draft. It's singling out certain individuals because of what they are and forcing them into service for SHIELD. I don't see how this is acceptable to anyone.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    No, see, the thing here is that the SHRA applies to anyone with powers. Jessica Jones has hung up her hero tights, but she'd be required to register and, by virtue of this draft, have to go back to the life she's left behind. There is no choice for those who have no intention at all of being vigilantes or crime fighters, which is why I'm so against it.

And this isn't a universal draft. It's singling out certain individuals because of what they are and forcing them into service for SHIELD. I don't see how this is acceptable to anyone.

Personally I'd say it's because people with the colossal amounts of power that super heroes often have are NOT going to logically be subject to quite the same set of laws when they are, by virtue of being what they are, so drastically different.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Then make laws to govern them accordingly. Drafting them without a choice isn't just unfair, it also makes the defacto second class citizens because they have less freedoms than a normal citizen. If they want to teach them to use or contain their powers responsibly, that's fine. But telling them their choices are to register and be at SHIELD's beck and call or to go to jail is some bullshit.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited February 2007
    I'd like to think that with Tony Stark in charge, he'd be willing to let heroes be retired as long as they registered. The registration is more about accountability than anything, I think. Meaning that if a random hero fucks up and destroys a city block, they know who he is and who to blame. And the ones who want to remain active get proper training and what not.

Now, there is still a great amount of corruption in SHIELD and the authors will probably want to make their political points and so on, so this probably won't be the case. Like when they went after Cage in New Avengers, as cool as that issue was, I don't think that's exactly how the act is supposed to work.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, that sort of dickery is exactly why Cap and Luke went on the run in the first place.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Then make laws to govern them accordingly. Drafting them without a choice isn't just unfair, it also makes the defacto second class citizens because they have less freedoms than a normal citizen. If they want to teach them to use or contain their powers responsibly, that's fine. But telling them their choices are to register and be at SHIELD's beck and call or to go to jail is some bullshit.

Bullshit? No, it's pretty much the governmental response you can expect with public opinion as heavily weighed against you when you go and fuck up like they did with the incident that kicked this all off. Putting them under governmental thumb is pretty ho-hum, not allowing them to retire would be pretty much a dick thing to do, but changing that is better done through appeals and swaying public opinon than IM IN UR BASE FIGHTING UR PRO-REGS

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    battledrillbattledrill Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Dear PA ,

Marvel just made an insanely powerful character! Nova! Cool Right? Wrong.

Adam Warlock
    Silver Surfer
    Captain Marvel (Genis)
    The Sentry

If history tells us anything, Nova will be seldom used In World War Hulk, and in your 3 for 1 bins by the end of next year. But yeah, enjoy the moment.

battledrill on

edited February 2007
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    So after he headbutts iron man?

Fuck, I don't think Nova has enough punches to give to everyone that acted like a 'tard during the Civil War. I hope that doesn't stop him from trying, though.

Also, just to reiterate how right us antis were about the SHRA:
    Dan Slott again described The Initiative as being Marvel's army of super heroes is now a super hero army - and that every pro registration hero has been drafted into service

This makes me even more disgusted with SHIELD, Reed, Tony, and Hank. I can see registration of powers, I can even see licensing to be a vigilante, but forcing people with powers to register and then forcing them to serve in this army is bullshit. I'd almost call the American citizens in the Marvel Universe batshit insane, except I know that crap along these lines is happening in real life anyway. As I said many months ago, fuck Reed, Tony, Hank, and especially SHIELD. :v:

Hasn't it already been said that with Tony as Director this is essentially just the classic "Avengers have every hero on their lineup" deal?

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    robosagogo wrote: »
    Penance: Rarr! Through my pain I am absolved!

Nova: Remember who you are, Robbie! Remember the time you farted in my helmet! That's the real you!

Sentry: Penance makes things explode now, instead of simply bouncing around.

It'd probably be more:

Nova: Hey Penance, the 90s called. They want their gimmick back.
    Sentry: OOH BURN!

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

Fuck, I don't think Nova has enough punches to give to everyone that acted like a 'tard during the Civil War. I hope that doesn't stop him from trying, though.

Dan Slott again described The Initiative as being Marvel's army of super heroes is now a super hero army - and that every pro registration hero has been drafted into service

Hasn't it already been said that with Tony as Director this is essentially just the classic "Avengers have every hero on their lineup" deal?

Its a good idea, just like in the Justice League Unlimited cartoon series with every single hero on the planet unified under one team.

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

Its a good idea, just like in the Justice League Unlimited cartoon series with every single hero on the planet unified under one team.

Tony should just start cutting people. For arbitrary shit too.
    "Wonderman, you're cut."
    "What the hell, why!?"
    "You're standing between me and Carol Danvers in bed. Either you're cut or I send Sentry after you."
    "Why would he do it?"
    "I said he could have sloppy seconds."

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    TehChowdTehChowd Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The art on those Nova Covers sure is fucking awesome.

TehChowd on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I really like how he's wearing actual armor and not just spandex.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    TehChowd wrote: »
    The art on those Nova Covers sure is fucking awesome.

This is because Adi Granov is the man. His Iron Man covers were great.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    He should really do comic series rather than covers.

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Sure, if you don't mind the issues coming out 5 or 6 times a year at most.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    There are some things in life that are worth waiting for, if there was a very good plot, with that artist. I would not mind.

Something like Kingdom Come springs to mind.

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Geebs wrote: »
    This looks interesting. A Champions series with Fraction writing and Kitson on art.

So can the real Hercules sue the other guy for identity theft?

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm seeing Toxin in that spread.

Fuck.

More symbiotes.

Thank you! I was trying to figure out who that was. Off to wikipedia for his backstory!

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Sure, if you don't mind the issues coming out 2 or 3 times a year at most.

Fixed that for you

Algertman on
  • Options
    SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    saint2e wrote: »

Fuck.

More symbiotes.

Thank you! I was trying to figure out who that was. Off to wikipedia for his backstory!

Wait... I definitely see Venom in there as well. I thought those two hated each other, or was that still during the Venom/Brock era.

Also... why is Rhodes back in the old White and Black War Machine, and where's Spider-Man??

Slagmire on
  • Options
    Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Slagmire wrote: »

Fuck.

More symbiotes.

Wait... I definitely see Venom in there as well. I thought those two hated each other, or was that still during the Venom/Brock era.

Also... why is Rhodes back in the old White and Black War Machine, and where's Spider-Man??

Uh, Spider-Man is a member of the New Avengers who have gone underground to fight from underneath the registration act's radar.

Why would Spider-Man be on there?

Bob The Monkey on
  • Options
    SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

Fuck.

More symbiotes.

Uh, Spider-Man is a member of the New Avengers who have gone underground to fight from underneath the registration act's radar.

Oh right... duh.

So by that rule...
    ...Deadpool isn't Ronin.

Slagmire on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

Fuck.

More symbiotes.

Oh right... duh.

So by that rule...
    ...Deadpool isn't Ronin.

Well I guess it's Agent X then. Hell, he's even showing up in the next issue of Cable/Deadpool.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    SASA Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Man, I loved Frontline up until Robbie became Penance. He was a cocky ass and I loved what they were doing with the character. They just had to do a 180 and make him into a cookie-cutter brooding anti-hero.

Way to fuck up, Marvel.

SA on
    WoW: Revash (Cho'Gall)
    3DS: 5241-1953-7031
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Ronin actually could be someone in that picture if you consider the possibility that the Ronin identity exists so the person can operate on both sides.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    robosagogo wrote: »
    Ronin actually could be someone in that picture if you consider the possibility that the Ronin identity exists so the person can operate on both sides.

Hmm. Any possibility it's someone on The Mighty Avengers?

Bob The Monkey on
  • Options
    Green LanternGreen Lantern Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Corvus wrote: »
    Geebs wrote: »
    This looks interesting. A Champions series with Fraction writing and Kitson on art.

So can the real Hercules sue the other guy for identity theft?

I bet that that a certain super-hero team formely known as The Great Lake Avengers have search for a new name for their team.

Green Lantern on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

Fuck.

More symbiotes.

You have to remember that there's a good chance that Toxin and Venom will never meet thanks to the whole 'heroes-spread-across-50-states' gimmick of the Initiative. Plus there's the fact that Venom (both the symbiote and Mac Gargan) are stuck on the Thunderbolts due to their known villain status while Toxin's managed to stay on the side of the angels during his rookie carreer.

As for Rhodes, I'm sure Tony pulled him away from O*N*E for the same reason he helped put him there; to help train and keep an eye on the new recruits. As for the armor, it's defantally not the old one as you can see in this preview page from The Initiative mini-series.
    The new armor seems to be based off of Tony's current armor with a bit of the designs used in HoM possiblly mixed in.

WM2-1.jpg

Owenashi on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Awesome preview. Love the new armor but the sheer dickery he's enforcing is indeed "Nazi" like.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    spidahspidah Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote: »

Fuck.

More symbiotes.

Oh right... duh.

So by that rule...
    ...Deadpool isn't Ronin.

Well I guess it's Agent X then. Hell, he's even showing up in the next issue of Cable/Deadpool.

HE ISNT DEADPOOL OR AGENT X. JESUS CHRIST. GET OVER YOURSELVES.

spidah on
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    i have the trade where toxin is born. worst art of all time and such a stupid, stupid story i kind of hoped they would just kill him off immediately.

i should say had actually, as i threw it in the garbage it was so bad.

Angry on
  • Options
    rchourchou Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Just read the last issue of Civil War.

Man, what a big letdown. That was a really terrible ending.

rchou on
  • Options
    SnoogySnoogy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I can't be the only one who sees Civil War as a really positive episode for the Marvel U, can I? Seriously, it added depth, psuedo-realism, and a sense of comunity to the entire line. The ending only made sense given the themes that they were obviously building on for inclusion into the "flavor" of marvel comics for some time to come.

Snoogy on
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    I read the mock-up for the ending.

It was much better than the actual ending.

CW, in concept and as a changing event, was fine. It was just horribly, horribly written.

Munkus Beaver on
    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I read the mock-up for the ending.

It was much better than the actual ending.

CW, in concept and as a changing event, was fine. It was just horribly, horribly written.

Where is the mock-up?

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Snoogy wrote: »
    I can't be the only one who sees Civil War as a really positive episode for the Marvel U, can I? Seriously, it added depth, psuedo-realism, and a sense of comunity to the entire line. The ending only made sense given the themes that they were obviously building on for inclusion into the "flavor" of marvel comics for some time to come.

I really liked it.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Scooter wrote: »
    Snoogy wrote: »

I really liked it.

I liked it, and it had quite a few badass moments. Namor IMPERIUS REXing all up ins. Reed and Spider-man in #7. Hercules.

Mai-Kero on