As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Catholics lol

123457»

• Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Also Jesus once turned water into wine for a wedding. He also turned wine into his blood.

The man enjoyed his alcohol.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    "um i like SOME kinds of alcohol, in moderation, and i dunno weed is okay i guess i tried it once and-"

fuck you pussies

would anyone like to smoke a blunt and play beer pong with me

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    AximAxim Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Kane2073 wrote: »
    The Geek wrote: »
    Raneados wrote: »
    I think you should stop being a bigot and let people practice their religion in whatever ways they want to

Even if their religion teaches to blow up people?

Has someone already said how dumb that statement was
    if not, I will go ahead and say that your statement was really dumb.

I wasn't going to get started on it, but yes it was very narrow minded. And by narrow minded, I mean fucking stupid.
    It's funny how quickly people forget the shit christianity has done to entire civilizations over the past 2000 years. Terrorism is a drop in the bucket compared to the oppression, fear and manipulation that most of the world faced from the catholic and protestant churches throughout history. Martin Luther effectively wrote the nazi manifesto against jews funny story. Keep in mind where you get your news from and how compared to the deaths from oppressive regimes, ethnic cleanings etc around the world current 'terrorist' activity is a drop in the bucket.

Axim on
  • Options
    matthias00matthias00 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Axim wrote: »
    I think you should stop being a bigot and let people practice their religion in whatever ways they want to

I wasn't going to get started on it, but yes it was very narrow minded. And by narrow minded, I mean fucking stupid.
    It's funny how quickly people forget the shit christianity has done to entire civilizations over the past 2000 years. Terrorism is a drop in the bucket compared to the oppression, fear and manipulation that most of the world faced from the catholic and protestant churches throughout history. Martin Luther effectively wrote the nazi manifesto against jews funny story. Keep in mind where you get your news from and how compared to the deaths from oppressive regimes, ethnic cleanings etc around the world current 'terrorist' activity is a drop in the bucket.

Name one organization or community you hold in high regard that has been around for more than 150 years and has some modicum of power, and I will show you at least two times when it has abused that power for crappy reasons.

Not saying that old school catholicism is cool, it was just a way to keep peasants in line really and the entire thing was corrupt beyond belief, just saying that judging an organization based on its past is retarded unless you're dead set on hating that organization.

But, hey, 90% of people are dead set on hating catholicism, so I guess you'll just call me a retard catholic or something. Because we all know how badly you and/or your family was personally hurt by the crusades. I can see how that can be an important thing to keep in mind when judging a group of people.

Modern Catholicism isn't too bad, at least its ideals aren't. I know a lot of the people in the church can be ridiculous, but that's like saying you hate all Muslims because their religion is about death and killing.

matthias00 on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    i don't think catholics are bad and that was more of an example of how radical islamic interpretations are no different and actually alot less prevalent than radical and militant christianity of the past. note i mentioned protestants too. the ideals are fine and things are obviously alot better than they were in the past, not by impetus of the church but by them being forced to change along with social trends and their gradual loss of power. i mean even at the turn of the century there are countless instances of abuse against cultures christianty was attempting to convert.

canada's most grim example being the violent schooling system put in place to turn native aboriginals into normal god fearing citizens. they were beaten whenever they attempted to speak their own language, so i suppose that is one way of teaching obedience. honestly i don't dislike catholics (was born one) and christians, i dislike organized religion.

Axim on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited February 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    Kane2073Kane2073 regular
    edited February 2007
    Totally just realized it was ash wednesday...yeah still not going to church

Kane2073 on
  • Options
    revolverevolve Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    matthias00 wrote: »

Name one organization or community you hold in high regard that has been around for more than 150 years and has some modicum of power, and I will show you at least two times when it has abused that power for crappy reasons.

Not saying that old school catholicism is cool, it was just a way to keep peasants in line really and the entire thing was corrupt beyond belief, just saying that judging an organization based on its past is retarded unless you're dead set on hating that organization.

But, hey, 90% of people are dead set on hating catholicism, so I guess you'll just call me a retard catholic or something. Because we all know how badly you and/or your family was personally hurt by the crusades. I can see how that can be an important thing to keep in mind when judging a group of people.

Modern Catholicism isn't too bad, at least its ideals aren't. I know a lot of the people in the church can be ridiculous, but that's like saying you hate all Muslims because their religion is about death and killing.

Yeah, because it's not like modern Catholics have been associated with terrorism.

You know, except the IRA.

revolve on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    I just don't think there's any good, rational reason to believe in god(s).

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited February 2007

LOL unmoved mover

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    edited February 2007

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    i believe in myself

potatoe on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Do you believe in heaven above?
    Do you believe in love?

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    watch star trek if you are doubting the place of ethereal beings in mankind's interstellar future geek. you say this now but by the end of the century you will be praying at the temple of zod

Axim on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    watch star trek if you are doubting the place of ethereal beings in mankind's interstellar future geek. you say this now but by the end of the century you will be praying at the temple of zod

Wait, are we talking about Star Trek or Superman now?

Also, the Prophets aren't gods either. Not really.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Although really, there doesn't necessarily need to be a rational reason to believe in a god, because faith is a different faculty of the mind than reason is. Faith is a principle of action, reason one of consideration and thought.

Harrier on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    proof of deities through star trek episodes?

great

potatoe on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Harrier wrote: »
    Although really, there doesn't necessarily need to be a rational reason to believe in a god, because faith is a different faculty of the mind than reason is. Faith is a principle of action, reason one of consideration and thought.

I've always said that faith and logic are mutually exclusive.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Anime OwnsAnime Owns Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

I think you've said that before.

edit - what the

a million replies

Anime Owns on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Harrier wrote: »

I've always said that faith and logic are mutually exclusive.
    Not mutually exclusive, just different.

If anything, each benefits from the other's presence. Faith and reason are meant to operate together, at least in the classical understanding.

Harrier on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    haha im just kidding but if you want to take a nerd approach

it's feasible given our current technological evolution to believe that immersive virtual reality will be possible in 100 years. they are demoing quantum computing already which should make the crunching the insane algorithms required to create a realistic environment on a mass scale. so to take the vanilla sky road i do not see it as being far fetched that in the not so distant future you could be in a state where you are immersed in a virtual world without any way of knowing it. whether or not you are conscious of this depends on the person running this system. if we have been able to achieve this type of technology in such a relatively short amount of time with all the time we wasted on religious bickering war and hatred, it is not far fetched to believe that another civilization could have done the same. in which case you could create heaven, hell, the afterlife whatever you want to call it as it would just become another construct on top of our existing reality.

all that we know comes from sensory input which can be hijacked through the CNS so there is really nothing to say that reality is actually how we perceive it. so you could say that humans could have evolved into goldlike beings and created us as a project, or for nostolgia who knows...

Axim on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    so you could say that excluding the possibility of god is as illogical as blindly believing in one

Axim on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    so you could say that excluding the possibility of god is as illogical as blindly believing in one

Dude, it's so illogical to exclude the possibility of unicorns and pixies.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Man I will say this over and over

Unicorns aren't really that much of a stretch

A guy at Boston University totally made a unicorn cow once

Harrier on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

DP if i implied that this virtual existence means that women from japanese mangas could come alive and pleasure you in every possible way would you still be such a hater?

Axim on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    dudes

the matrix is real

potatoe on
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!!

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

DP if i implied that this virtual existence means that women from japanese mangas could come alive and pleasure you in every possible way would you still be such a hater?

"Virtual existence"? What are you, some kind of Matrix 'philosophy' nut?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    its a joke man

Axim on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    its a joke man

THIS IS SERIOUS BUSINESS, MCCLOUD!

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    LaVelle%20cover.jpg

Axim on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Hahaha, that reminds me of some article I saw in the local paper about some church that had a studygroup about how the Matrix films were Biblical allegories.

This was before the third film came out.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    The Matrix was an allegory for what the fuck is this shit

Harrier on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    sometime look up the wachowski brothers man they are seriously fucked. the one guy is shacked up on and off with some infamous s&m dungeon master and had a big battle with her transvestite lover or some shit i remember the article was just insane

Axim on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    You know, for every terrible thing mankind has brought about in the name of God, organized religion has worked in a way to help motivate society forward.

For example, evangelical meetings a few times a year were huge events for people all over the countryside in the south while this country was forming. It was a reason for people, especially the women of the house, to get out and socialize and emotionally express themselves. Without such church gatherings life would have been much worse for the countryside during our nation's formative years.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    i think it's the wachowski siblings

It is

I do believe the one changed his name to Linda Wachowski.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    http://www.gothamist.com/archives/2004/05/01/matrix_of_lives.php

edit - oh shit dude is working pre production on a speed racer movie

Axim on