As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Blur Studios

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    chico get the fuck out of this nerd thread this is 3d shit you don't BELONG HERE GET OUT OUT OUT I HATE YOU

I loved my cintiq at school and Zbrush and a cintiq are totally amazinggggggg. And just painting in photoshop is pretty great. But yeah no, I don't think I'd spend 2 grand on one.

Kochikens on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    kochi are you coming out for pax

I wanna talk with you and stuff

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    If you got a cintiq could you use your butt to model

Just like

rub your butt on the screen and stuff

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    "and stuff" meaning humping

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    lol j/k rofl

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    I really really wish zbrush had a better interface

I need to spend some time with mudbox I think

People give Zbrushes interface shit, but you need to remember that it is designed to be used with just a tablet/cintiq. It is a bit wonky but I got accustomed to it really really fast once I realized i just needed to put my keyboard and mouse far away

• Options
    Speaking of nerds Rank that doppelganger you showed me is still blowing my mind

BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    Nah
    I had to decide between SDCC or PAX because of getting time off work, and I had already made the plans for SDCC, so. SDCC. Come to SDCC next year!!

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Doop doop doop lookitme I can make things in three dimensions!

Doopdoopdoop Oh, you're working in Photoshop? HOW SILLY! Oh that's a neat monster! Can I see it rotated? I can't? Oh I can but it will take a few hours for you to draw the different view?

OHOHOHOHOHOHOOOOO 3d3d3d

• Options
    Kochikens wrote:
    I really really wish zbrush had a better interface

I need to spend some time with mudbox I think

People give Zbrushes interface shit, but you need to remember that it is designed to be used with just a tablet/cintiq. It is a bit wonky but I got accustomed to it really really fast once I realized i just needed to put my keyboard and mouse far away

I don't just mean GUI

I actually got used to just using my tablet for the most part

I mean the fucking layout of it

how it flips all your fucking UVs all the time

how so much of it is just so goddamn unintuitive

urghhhhh

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    ok I'm going for a walk

fuck y'all

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Oh yeah zbrush is always crazy with UVs

BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    rank stop threatening to fuck people

• Options
    UGH FINE JEEZ

BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    thats why vertex painting exist and why I only use zbrush for normalmapping

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Veretas wrote:
    Is it like cake wars but with cupcakes? Because I am just not a huge fan of cupcakes.

what the hell veretas

• Options
    edited August 2011
    rank I am reporting veretas' post to you for corrective action

Brolo on
  • Options
    also here have some ridiculous CGI shit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6ZaSipHuO4&feature=related

square you so crazy

• Options
    wait
    Wait
    loveless?
    isnt that a manga about virgin catboys or something getting fucked?

• Options
    Why has there been no news on that modernday final fantasy game coming out, that looks awesome

also I love that Kojima used Volgin as a face model for the new engine theyre using. I love Volgin.

• Options
    Ahahaha "just a scrape" he says

That leather coat is so fucking thick it blocked that sword

BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    Kochikens wrote:
    Why has there been no news on that modernday final fantasy game coming out, that looks awesome

also I love that Kojima used Volgin as a face model for the new engine theyre using. I love Volgin.

Woah what huh what

BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    Veretas wrote:
    Kochikens wrote:

Woah what huh what

http://kotaku.com/5831721/look-at-the-faces-hideo-kojima-is-making

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiIx9VJWSl8

• Options
    Kochikens wrote:
    wait
    Wait
    loveless?

I don't judge your lifestyle, kochi.

• Options
    Rolo wrote:
    Kochikens wrote:
    wait
    Wait
    loveless?

I don't judge your lifestyle, kochi.

That brown hair guy forced Sephiroth to memorize a gaykittyboysex manga?

• Options
    Goddammit square stop having such beautifully rendered cinematics

BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    Kochikens wrote:
    Veretas wrote:
    Kochikens wrote:

Woah what huh what

http://kotaku.com/5831721/look-at-the-faces-hideo-kojima-is-making

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiIx9VJWSl8

you know

that first minute of CG here is getting pretty damn realistic looking

all things considered they probably could have just filmed it with two actors in makeup and saved themselves a bunch of time and money

• Options
    Versus looks a million times better than FF13-2
    a trillion times better

• Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaQuNZOPpjM&feature=relmfu

FFXIII-2: I CANNOT GIVE LESS OF A FUCK ABOUT THESE DOUCHEBAGS

• Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PhyK2oy5Z4&feature=related

FF DISIDIA: THEY TURNED MY FANFIC INTO A GAME

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    cool armor design on Lightning there though

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    the design of the pink haired 13 year old with a tattoo on her ass ruins any good character design that game might have had

• Options
    besides
    best ff
    ff12

you all can suck it

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Kochikens wrote:
    wait
    Wait
    loveless?

within the setting of FFVII, loveless is a famous play.

• Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    sonictk wrote:
    Raaankk do you have a Kinect or something

I really want to try this out but I can't find anyone with a USB Kinect: http://www.ipisoft.com/gallery.php I already have a couple of test models all rigged and ready to go, so tired of keyframing stuff in xsi. If this works and looks good enough I don't care what anyone says mocap saves a TON of time.

Also hi guys I guess I like to animate and do artsy things too?

you have no idea how relevant this is

I actually spent a lot of time this summer working on developing tools for the kinect to do this very thing

it is far, far more complicated then you might imagine

the data you get from the kinect is extremely limited - it's a good way to get a rough start, but the bone structure is incredibly sparse - no rotation/translation on feed and hands, one bone for the spine, no directional rotation for the head, no neck bone and extremely shifty clavicle/shoulder support

the raw data is there, and it can be cleaned up using MotionBuilder tools and such, but it still requires a TON of work

regarding motion capture as animation, of course its animation. There's good and bad motion capture work out there - look at Lord of the Rings, that's phenomenal mocap work. And all good mocap work requires highly skilled animators to go in, clean it up, exaggerate the action and make it work well. Same with any tool.

The idea that "lazy animators just use flash" is a complete misnomer - yeah, lazy fuckers can use motion and shape tweens to get halfway decent results, but they always show and they look awful. A skilled artist can use Flash to create incredible work.

They're tools, not results.

Regarding getting blur-quality art/animation in-game in the next 20 years - you will get model fidelity, texture resolution and higher-quality rendering techniques happening real-time, like subsurface scattering, high-quality displacement maps and physics/simulation-driven distortion, but it can never really achieve the quality you see in the Blur videos in a complex real-time interactive simulation. Every single aspect of those videos is extremely carefully planned and executed by some of the best artists in the world. There are levels of acting, artistry and animation that can absolutely never be achieved by a simulation. You can't have a lumbering dire bear stroll through the woods reacting to changing environments and unpredictable user input/stimuli in a fully believable and compelling manner using mocap and procedural animation nearly as well as you could in an enclosed, carefully planned and keyframed cinematic. You just can't. You can't fucking mocap a dire bear, for one thing. You can't mocap a six-armed chaos space soldier made of fetuses and guns. You can't procedurally animate an entire squad of hyper-elite assassins with their own personalities and back stories dealing with a 60-hour-long sci-fi epic spanning a galaxy in a way that feels entirely organic. You need highly trained artists to create these emotional reactive moments that you simply cannot depend on a computer to produce. And that means paying their salaries.

Yes, we can aim for that pie in the sky, and we can get closer and closer to the goal, but there's a long, long, long ways to go before we're anywhere near that point.

When Pixar and Dreamworks and all those companies started coming out with their incredible CG animated films, Disney straight-up fired their entire animation staff, figuring they didn't need trained animators, they could let computers do the work. Look how well that worked for them.
    This is a good post. Thank you for explaining it in a clear way. :^:

• Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    Rolo wrote:

These are not so much good points. They are accurate, I am sure, but they merely reflect technological limitations of our current physics simulations. Right now we have only the most basic of physical phenomena that we are able to procedurally generate, so we have to spend thousands of man-hours hand-animating these very details you describe. I do not share your skepticism that it is impossible that we will develop techniques that can be applied in real-time by our vastly more powerful computers in the future to simulate these phenomena. Or at least simulate them close enough to fool us.

The problem is that animating a character picking an object up is always going to be more of an art job than it is a mathematical equation. An as-yet-uninvented working physical situation might get you a quarter of the way there, and some robust interaction scripting so that your characters can determine the orientation of an object and attempt to grasp it accordingly could bring you to halfway, but your human artists will have to do the rest by hand. Throwing more processing power at it will help a little bit, but the vast majority of the work will still be measured in artists man-and-woman-hours, not cpu clock cycles.

I honestly do believe that steering graphics towards more stylistic and symbolic rendering, rather than a push for photo realism, makes for a better visual experience. A lot of pre-rendered movies are backing away from trying to create visuals that are as realistic as possible, there's too much visual noise that distracts from where they want the viewer's attention (and as loathe as I am to invoke it, the uncanny valley becomes a factor the further you push this).

In a game this problem becomes magnified because it's all happening in real time. There's no way of knowing how much 'artistic noise' will be on screen at any given time.
    This is also a good post.

Thanks guys.

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    can we still talk about the dawn of war trailer

because thats the first trailer i saw that i felt did its subject justice

• Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    Kochikens wrote:
    besides
    best ff
    ff12

:^:

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Tonkka wrote:
    Oh god that Jonny Cash cover.

I really find it hard to listen to an original after hearing a Cash cover

ikbUJdU.jpg